Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 08-19-2006

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours an orange-amber color topped by a half-inch of creamy off-white head. Excessively fruity aroma of grapefruit and pineapple, citrusy high-alpha hops, and a subtle background of lightly roasted caramel malt. The malt becomes more assertive on the palate, providing a mellow caramel sweetness that pairs nicely with rich, fruity hops. And I mean a lot of hops. While this is no Ruination, it still leaves a sticky, resinous film of lupulin on the teeth that necessitates brushing shortly after finishing the glass. A lightly sweet finish punctuates a thoroughly enjoyable drinking experience. I'm a big fan of this one, and will be buying a few bottles to cellar that hopefully will age better than the 9th Anniversary.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Deep golden copper with a substantial creme-fraiche colored head. Smells sweet, with a candied grapefruit and orange aroma predominating over a cedar presence and a caramel-candy malt base. The first taste is of sugared mandarin slices with pine oil, almost like a citrus juice of some sort mixed with gin. The alcohol is rather noticeable, particularly from mid-sip onward. The malts are skillfully understated here, even though this is a sweet(ish) beer. They emerge primarily in the form of a caramelized sugar flavor. As the beer warms, the alcohol flavor begins to meld with the cedary orange-rind hops while keeping the finish rather dry. The hop flavor also becomes more floral, with citrus blossoms being the most recognizable comparison. There is a certain slickness to the mouthfeel because of the high alcohol content. Overall, I'm very impressed with the mouthfeel because, despite its high alcohol level and assertive malt character, Stone's 10th Anniversary IPA remains light in body (for the style) and juicy, with the aforementioned dryness perstisting throughout the finish. Classic hoppy Stone burps. Overall I think this is an extremely appropriate beer to mark Stone's 10th anniversary: it's big, different (from their other DIPA, Ruination), yet undeniably Stone. In fact, I want to say it tastes like an amped-up version of the regular Stone India Pale Ale. It's nothing if not a sipper (10% abv guarantees that). A masterful beer, but one that's best shared.

Sampled on-tap at the Liars' Club.

This IPA poured a clear, amber color with creamy, white foam that settled and clung to the glass. The smell was hoppy, but not overly so, and malty. The taste was dominated by the hops: bitter and fruity with flavors of orange and grapefruit. There was a good malty backbone to balance the hops. This was not a "hop bomb". The flavor of alcohol became more noticeable as the beer warmed . The mouthfeel was smooth and full bodied with modest carbonation feel. Very warming. The aftertaste was hoppy with some bitterness. This was a good beer, but less hoppy than I expected.

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

2-fingers of eggshell cream cap a clear, medium umber. Cloudiness developed upon subsequent pours form the bottle.

Aroma is of juicy mandarin oranges, candied grapefruit rinds, some pineapple and macerated pine needles - all swirling about in a heady, virulent harmony.

Everything detected in the nose is robustly confirmed in the flavor but with a sweet, crushing wall of toffee-caramel malt which brings things into surprising balance. Fireweed honey, a subtle nuttiness, and a suggestion of rose-hip tea appear before the stinging heat of brash alcohol asserts itself. Whoa.

Smooth, fine bubbles jettison a rich, oily body, which is squarely in Barleywine territory as far as mouthfeel goes, but the strong alcohol dries out the finish and begs another sensory-overloading sip. This is like drinking a fine, hop-malt spirit and oh-so-enjoyable throughout. One of my favorite beers ever, and I believe I need to go grab another case. While I love the fresh-hop character, I’m quite curious to see where some age takes this beer.

3.36/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Cool bottle. Poured a light/medium brown nut color with a nice fluffly head. Some lacing.
Smell of hops and citrus, but not quite as strong as some other 2xIPAs i've had. Alcohol is noticeable in the nose.
Tasted of a regular IPA; hops, some grapefruit, passion fruit, some malt to balance the experience.
Felt oily and thin. Nothing special. Leaves a film and did not finish as crisp as others.
Disappointed.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After what seems of months of waiting I was finally able to procur a case of these wonderful beauties.
A-Deep amber color, almost copper with a nice thick rich head
S-The smell of citrus and pine is everywhere, i wish glade could make plug-ins smell like this.
T-Unbeleivable, bitter but yet not too bitter
M-Stays in your mouth for a long time. After swallowing when you take a breath the flavor of the hops comes back to say hi, its a wonderfull thing
D-I could drink a lot of these in one sitting, but considering i only have 11 left, it will be slow going to ensure I have enough to at least last through december. WHy Stone WHy, did this have to be a one time brewing.

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

22oz bomber poured into my Arrogant Bastard pint glass. Nerdy, but yes, I purposely chose this glass for the occasion of trying this brew for the first time.

Pours a light, crystal clear golden color, maybe a little orange. 2 finger offwhite head. Not really much lacing.

Smell is grapefruit, grapefruit, grapefruit. Just tons of citrus hops. I love big hoppy beers if they are balanced out with some sweetness and I can't tell if this is going to be balanced or just a hop bomb.

Wow, this is almost an elegant beer to taste. Citrus hops turn flowery during each sip leaving me with a nice floral aftertatse. I wouldn't call this sweet, but it tastes well balanced nonetheless, and I wonder if it is the type of hops they've used, which as I write this I'm clueless about which they are (but I'm about to do some searching). It's not that there is no sweetness to it...there is some sweetness on the tip of my tongue as I drink it, but the hops just take over and the hop flavor of this is nothing like any other DIPA I've had. The taste of this is just clean to me; there is something champagne-like about it, and maybe that's a combination of the flavors and the pricklyness I at first mistake for carbonation and then realize is actually the hops. Something just tastes super fresh about this, maybe what other reviewers keep calling "green". Just wow. As this warms, I begin to feel it's moving more towards the "piney" and away from the "grapefruity" type of flavor profile. Whatever, I love the hops in this.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly oily I'd say, and prickly from the hops.

This is a fantastic DIPA. I just picked up a case of this and based on this firs taste I plan to go back for case #2 tomorrow.

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

picked up a few bottles at oak tree buy rite, edison nj, the store that sucks... the money out of my wallet.. gladly :)

eyes...
gargoyle hoisting a brew (I sense a theme from stone...), deep amber with orange highlights, 1 full finger of pure white head with varying bubble size, from soapy crag on the top to tightly packed bubble wrap floating on top of the beer, lacing is mostly good, not great though (retention is good), jeezus, I can smell it a foot away... but I'll get to that. a good looking DIPA, nothing wowing me though to warrant more than a 4.

nose...
grapefruits shoved up your nose, and then stomped down on by dyke boots until the citrus comes out yer ears, some "green" hops smell but mostly a huge citrus odor with pine accents, zero detection of the 10% abv lurking in the depths waiting like the kraken (hopefully medusa is not around, or her head). This is pretty one sided, not always a complaint with DIPAs but I have sniffed better, not too many better, but certainly some.

taste etc...
this is pretty hot tasting ie alcohol, the hops do not fight off the alcohol enough imo, definitely needs mellowing out (but I wonder if mellowing this out will also mellow the hops unfortunately). Once you are used to the alcohol you can focus in on the other flavors a bit more. The hops are exactly as they smell, except the "green" taste is much more apparent, it is a nice green wood taste that lingers along with the citric bitter notes. I happen to like the bite the carbonation provides, very prickly and refreshing, a nice foil to the heavy handed hop oils that want to do a valdez on the wildlife of your mouth. this is definitely not one of the top DIPAs I have had. The flavor is a bit unbalanced but at the same time I can not call this "a hop head's delight".. something is missing.

verdict?
a nice attempt but right now as is this beer has it's flaws. Just because it is Stone does not make it the end all be all of beers. When Stone hits it out of the park, they hit the cover off the ball, this is more like a ground rule double. I have plenty of bottles and will continue to taste it but right now I can't go ape about this one.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Phenomenal. First word that came to mind after taking my first sip of this beer. Poured an appealing red with a small head (maybe a 1/2 a finger). Very strong, smell of plum, pine, hops, phenols and so much more. Before even tasting this beer the smell alone impressed me greatly. It is to the point where it is borderline overpowering, yet I couldnt stop sniffing the glass between each sip.
Taste starts of sweet with the plum still coming to mind, instantly followed by a wave of hops before the alcohol takes over.The taste is pretty complex, so I apologize for not going into further detail. As you would expect the alchohol is very present.
For such a big beer the mouthfeel is surprisingly light and easygoing, and it is dangerously drinkable.
Damn this beer is good.
Stone has yet to let me down. Go get a bottle right now.

Huge hype on this beer, probably the most hyped beer of 2006. In some way it lives up to it, in other ways, it's just another overpowered, indulgent DIPA.

First off, probably one of the sweetest bottles I've come across. Typical Stone, cleverly marketed (not they need a gimmick), so much so that what it lacks in actually appearance is made up for by the bottle.

Humongous nose. Crazy fruits, plums, raisons, and grapefruit. I usually don't preface other beers in a review, but this one is so strikingly similar to Smutty noses' Finest Kind, it's unreal. You could check my review of that beer if you want... I’ve matured a little.

A crazy brew to say the least. I can see this becoming a classic with a year or two of aging. Oh yeah, by the way, I got the last three bottles at Table and Vine in Northampton.

3.82/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours out like Ice tea. Fairly clear but with a lot of carbonation and about 1 finger of slightly offwhite suds that dissapete slowly leaving a nice lacing.
Smell is very citrusy with hints of lemon and grapefruit. Hops and alcohol are present but in the back. Also a caramel smell that is very light and it might just be the malt.
The taste is hops and grapefruit and alcohol. Almost like a cough syrup. This quickly dissapates leaving a very fruity and alcoholy flavor.
Two drinks and you feel the alcohol but it is a very nice aftertaste.
Clean in the mouth and not bitter as you would think.
I do like this and will buy more to consume. Great for a cold night to warm you up!

4.89/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from the Sweeetest looking Stone bottle ever, this brew's as bright as a copper penny with a sustaining khaki head that leaves intricate webs of lace.

Aroma is of sweet, succulant nectar. A variatable cornacopia of sweet, fruity tones mingled with the omnipotance of a bounty of hops. Peach, pear, melon, tangerine and grapefruit citrus are balanced by notes of caramelized honey, crushed pine needles, and brewed green tea. One of the most seductive noses I've seen in a beer lately.

The taste is certainly on par with the nose. Complex fruit and intense honey drenched tangerine and grapefruit rind lead into bittersweet crushed pine needles, green herbs, and piercing, lasting bitterness. The hop flavors meld wonderfully and yeild a very complex and delicious IIPA.

Body is big, slick, and slippery. Each hoppy sip coates your lips in sticky hop resin. A serious joy to drink, this is awesome!

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

22 oz'er bottle pours with a cool Stone gargoyle!

Crack this bad boy open! Pours with a bright polished copper penny hue topped with a sloppy soupy vanishing vanilla head cap that skids down the glass with a lace streak.

Nose is a bright blast of honeyish grassy fresh leafy crisp hops.

First swigs: Sharp and instantly bitter copper penny hops rip through the initial flavor. Some rummy awl-kee-hawl booziness seeps through. Middle is a tart orange peel freshness. Acidic hops gone wild. Brisk peel of lemon and orange. Slight gripe is that thee seems to be a light malt backing. Much more marmalade than balance here.

Feel is slippery slick with an ephemeral finish that vanishes. Sizzled orange pulp and floral linger rules this bad boy.

Last swigs: Did someone steal my Stone 10th and hand me a HopWallop? This is the BIGGER Brother to Bells Two Hearted and a sister to Victory HopWallop!

Beer is good. Happy big hop beering.

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured a clear, orange copper with a medium, near-white head. Excellent retention, with thick lacings.

A sweet, citrusy malt character is overcome by an explosion of tantalizing hops. I fully expect to see a sprig of pine swimming in my glass, but alas it's just delicious smelling beer. This is a hophead's cologne.

After smelling this divine nectar, I was almost hesitant to take a sip. Too many times have I been drawn in by a glorious aroma, only to be under whelmed by the taste. This is not one of those times. There is a flavor of sweet fruit up front that quickly and sharply mixes with a dry, citrus character and a divine euphoria of hops. I can nearly sense the pine needles traversing my palate. The high alcohol percentage is very noticeable in the warming and in the dry aftertaste.

This has an excellent mouthfeel, as it is less viscous than other potent double IPA's. A slight syrupy consistency blends perfectly with the carbonation. This could easily be the most drinkable double IPA that I've ever had.

I love Stone. I love hops. I love IPA's. I often feel that double IPA's lose something in their pursuit for the most over-the-top beer. For me, this is the benchmark for the style. Smooth, hoppy, delicious and dangerously drinkable at ten percent.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - burnt orange color, big white head with decent retention and moderate lacing, pretty transparent

s - big hops presence with lots of citrus and pine nicely balanced, very interesting aroma, alcohol is present as well

t - sweet maltiness at the start, then the citrusy/piney hops hit the palate, absolutely perfect DIPA in my opinion, the finish has an alcohol presence and is long and bitter with the hop oil coating the whole mouth

m - not much carbonation, medium-bodied, hop oil coats the mouth very well, mildly dry finish

d - I really want to drink this all night, but I know I would be miserable tomorow if I did, the 10%abv seems much less and the taste is amazingly complex and interesting which makes me want to keep on drinking

Wow. That's the best description of this beer. Stone has outdone itself with this 10th Anniversary brew. It makes me sad to think that this will not be brewed again. Hands down one of my favorite beers. I just wish I was in San Francisco another couple days to enjoy more of this amazing beer.

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

Reddish-amber with a huge cakelike yellow head. Poured into a Duvel snifter. Massive rings of lace. This is IPA perfection, visually perfect.

Nose is fresh-cut candied grapefruit. Distinctly piney, but successfully avoids the Pine-Sol syndrome. Very nice.

Wow! I may actually have tears in my eyes. This flavor is as near perfection for a DIPA as I have ever had. Immense without being too boozy. Solidly built malt foundation without being too sweet. A hop presence like none other, literally oozing with hop oils, but not too bitter. Top marks, without a doubt.

Mouthfeel is slightly syrupy. Only a little tooth-strippiness, which surprised me given the huge hop levels.

Drinkability seems pretty damn good for such a big beer. I am halfway thru the bomber and the flavor remains fresh and tasty without becoming cloying or overwhelming.

An awesome brew. Truly worthy of Stone's 10th anniversary, and even worth the extended wait here in MA ;)

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

This pours rich dark amber, leaving a bit of a head even with my slow pour. The ring around the glass is carmel color, and the bubbles are more like fluff.

Smell is moderate, noting floral and hop scents, with a bit of citrus. Maybe some pine, too.

Taste is strong - very rich citrus, hoppy, somewhat sweet too. I can't name that overpowering lemon sweet-sour pine flavor, but it makes it for this rich drink.

Mouthfeel is creamy, but the alcohol comes across real strong in the mouthfeel stabbing at the tongue. I guess that is what you get at 10%, it is reasonable giving that ABV.

Finish is a bit sharp. The alcohol sting comes at the end, leaving a bit of an upleasent piney aftertaste.

This is a rather rich, heavy beer.

I do recommend giving this a try if you see it. If you like these super rich IPAs, then you really need to try it. If you are just looking for another interesting beer to try, know what you are getting into, but give it a try!

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

22oz bomber, received from BigErn (and 2 more bottles from lou91 to share once the madison BA scene wakes up from its nap)

appearance: pours into my New Belgium chalice...big dark copper-amber body with a fluffy beige head and pretty solid lacing...enticing beer that I have been anxiously awaiting from Stone

smell: 2 nights in a row of amazing smelling ipa's...like the hop whore this is a bouquet of dripping green hops, big grapefruit-citrus aroma, high pine presence. Unlike the hop whore, this beer clearly appears to have a nice malt/booze balance, that makes it undeniably Stone

taste: This is a very nice DIPA indeed...strong pine up front with a bitter grapefruit hop compliment, pungent green hops...great caramel malt balance which leads me to consider this as bordering a barleywine. I have 3 bottles and might let one die down a little to see if the barleywine in it comes out a little more, that is if I dont drink it all! Booze presence is noticeable in a nice way and bitterness is moderate. Mmmm

mouthfeel: moderate-high bitterness, medium-low alcohol presence, pungent and juicy hop creation

drinkability: high

4.44/5  rDev +4%

A - This pours a clear amber bronze with orange highlights and an off white, fluffy head. Serious sticky lacing down the glass.
S - The smell is pure, citrusy, sweet motha hop glorification. I opened the bomber at least 2 feet away from me on my work desk and was assaulted by the hop beauty.
T - Hardcore hops, dominated by orange citrus blends... not twangy grapefruit, but real, clean, sumptous orange and tangerine. The malt backbone is sweet, caramel, solid and smooth. This is a really, really big beer.
M - A very slick hop oil mouthfeel which keeps the taste buds dancing and researching the entire time. Once again, one sip at a time to splendor in this beauty.
D - There is just way too much going on here to waste it by drinking more than 2 bombers in a sitting. I would wait until the end of a session (or make this a session by itself) letting this be your nitecap, weekcap, monthcap or dare I say yearcap... believe the hype. This is a great beer.
The alcohol is hidden EXTREMELY well -- a great, warming sensation in the gut. I love Stone beers, I appreciate extreme beers, but this is something more. More balance, more attention to detail, more of everything. A great 10th Anniversary brew.

Served in my arrogant bastard pub glass.

Pours a coppery-orange color with large beige head that last throughout the drinking. Super lacing.

Smells slightly piney, earth and floral hops. Strong citrus and tropical (pineapple mainly) smells along with a caramel malty sweetness. Very complexly aromatic.

Taste. Simply perfect. Very juicy in the taste while being well balanced with the maltiness. I can taste a raw cane sugar. Perfect balance of earthy and piney hops and caramel malt. Very fruity, pineapple and grapefruit are most pronounced, but there are other flavors that I can't quite tell what they are that balance it all out.

Medium plus body, slight oiliness without being filmy. Finished with a nice grapefruity dryness. The alcohol is well presented. I just can't stop drinking this!

Easy to drink, tastes so good. I must stop geekin' and get back to drinkin'!

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Dangerously drinkable and very potent, this beer lived up to the hype as far as I'm concerned. The beer pored a deep brown color with a beautiful thick off white head. The beer smelled like candied hops, that's the only way I can describe it. Great sweet maltiness mixed in with huge citrus hops and a candy like scent. The flavor was outstanding. Reminded me of a more complex and aged Arrogant Bastard. Very hoppy but what I love about the beer was the great tasting malt(s) used to balance the flavor and add more character. Very citrusy hops and the malts were nice and robust and mixed in nicely with the slight alchoholic flavors in the finish. All in all this one is great to drink now but I have a feeling that it will only get better with age.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

I was glad to finally find this one in my area, as it seems East Coast finding s have been few and far between thus far.

It pours a very nice looking amber/copper colour with a big creamy head that has a fair amount of stickiness to it. Nice and inviting overall.

The aroma is hoppy as hell, with pine and citrus in the mix, along with a lot of spice (I picked up general pepper scents for the most part but some other stuff was there in the mix as well). There a nice sweetness here as well that's more akin to candy or sugar than fruit.

The flavour picks up right where the aroma leaves off, with hops and spice mixing nicely and leading the way. The finish is a bit tinny and overly alcohol flavoured but still very nice. A bit of earthy malt actually mixes in toward the finish as well. This one comes at you hard the whole way through with flavour. Mouthfeel is nice but again a bit rigid at times, like the finish of the flavour. I know it's a high ABV brew, but it could be masked a tad more than it was. Still, very solid overall.

What can I say? One minor grips aside (and one that didn't detract from the brew much at all) this is another fine offering from Stone.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a Stone 10th anniversary pint glass.

A-Dark amber in color. 1/2" head with mild lacing as I went. It looks like a precious gem, rare and beautiful (or, at least, rare around here). Made my mouth water as I poured it.

S-Pine, sour citrus, sage and alcohol. Now my mouth is REALLY watering. The sage is really very slight, but mixes well with the scents of indeciduous trees and grapefruit.

T-Actually, a deceptively sweet start. This, however, is brief, and I really got a wallop of citrus, followed by that luscious piney character. The sage I smelled is the longest lasting flavor, and the hop bitterness lingers on alongside it. Not much burn at all, considering it's 10% ABV. This is a fantastic DIPA, with Stone's characteristic over-the-top bitterness melded with a great array of complementary flavors.

M-Present without being thick, carbonated without being too effervescent. Drinks like an IPA should: it's an easy drinker, but refuses to be ignored.

D-I could drink this all night. I just couldn't get up in the morning if I did.

4.09/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a nice golden-amber color with a healthy off-white head.

Solvent alcohol aroma accompanied by sweet fruit -- peach and tangerine. Quite a hoppy pine needle aroma, as well.

Taste and mouthful work together beautifully -- simultaneously bitter and prickly. Sweet, in a clear sugary way. Alcohol is prominent but not unpleasant. Resinous, piney hop character, very spicy, too. Surprisingly smooth despite the palate assault. In conclusion, I think I prefer Ruination IPA to this beer, but this, too, is liquid poetry.

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Appearance: pours a clear orange color with a 2" head that last quite a while. Some light lacing develops during the session.

Smell: Oh baby. Tons of pine bitterness, grapefruit, and a hint of alcohol. Makes you want to sip it immediately.

Taste: big malty caramel backbone balanced with loads of sharp and dry bitterness, grapefruits, green grapes, and honey. The alcohol is clearly evident and provides a warming feeling with each sip. Big and bold flavors here.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp at the start, smoother towards the finish. Super long aftertaste as the bitterness stick to the tongue. Medium-heavy in body.

Drinkability: the noticable alcohol warns you to not over indulge in this great beer. But then again, you should enjoy the few bottles you probably got your hands on over different evenings.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing