Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 08-19-2006

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours with a lovely head which stays in a Belgian-like lace for a while.
Color a very clear amber-red.

The nose is full of pine, almost exclusively pine with a hint of citrus and a suggestion of alcohol strength.

Taste: a wonderful combination of pine, mixed peel (think mixed citrus allowed to concentrate and dry a bit, if you're not familiar with the product), plum, guava, and passionfruit. So it's like a punchy fruitcake under the Christmas tree! (Then the hops sneak up with their sagey bitterness under the back of my tongue and remind me that they are making me sleepy, very sleepy..)

Mouthfeel: well carbonated, full bodied, sparkly, warm with booziness.

Drinkability: I'd love to drink a whole growler of this, but in the morning I'd wish I hadn't. Half a bomber at a time for me, thanks. Thank goodness I live with a fellow beer enthusiast who'll happily relieve me of the other half.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I don't usually write reviews like this because I feel that the purpose of a review is to inform other readers of what a beer tastes like, and then in some way help to give them an idea of what relevance or value it might have to them. However, given the recent thread about the decline of Dogfish Head and Sam's response to it, I thought I'd mention some "popularity backlash" that's gone on here.

Stone seems to be receiving a 'popularity backlash'. I was told by several people that the 10th Anniversay was not particularily worth it, and that it was a "let down". One person even stated that Stone has simply taken to making "gimmick" beers to garner more interest. I almost didn't buy this beer based on that. But looking at the price (which is actually great in comparison to many others), and knowing, based on their previous efforts, that it would at the least be "very good", I went back to the aisle where I found it and added it to my cart. And I couldn't be more happier!

It pours a very clear orange-amber body beneath a creamy head of off-white that holds remarkably well and leaves rings of craggy lace that are so numerous they become almost a "wall" of spotty and streaky lace.

The nose is bright with citrusy and pungent hops, and fruity with yeast, over a sweetish caramelish malt base. It's big and round and supple with fruit (sugary apricot, peach, grapefruit, and tangerine), soft pine, and light caramel. I find no harsh edges to it; and I think it might be one of the best beer aroma's I've found - ever!

In the mouth it's full-bodied and gently effervescent with a delicate, fine-bubbled carbonation that leaves it remarkably smooth.

In the flavor, it delivers piney, grassy, and fruity hoppiness (orange, grapefruit - as well as some yeasty berry and plum) upfront atop a slick wave of maltiness that seems to balance itself 'oh so perfectly'. There's a caramel edge to it, but the basic grainy and straw-like character is still in command. It's superbly well-rounded between the flavors, and perfectly balanced by the bitterness. It's sweetish but not sweet - and bitter but not BITTER!

Very nice! Superbly balanced! Interesting! Drinkable! A must-try!

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Figured I should chose a good one for my first review, so take everything with a grain of salt. Drank from a thin lipped tulip glass.

A: An amber orange color. Not so thin that you can easily see through it, but not cloudly like a weis. Nice head with very tight bubbles. Good retention on the head. A quick swirl will re-invigorate the head.

S: Holy hops! The sweetness of the hops aroma is very strong and certainly lingers in the glass. I don't smell the pineapple of the previous poster, but certainly almost a flowerly sweet.

T: Complex tasting beer. The hops flavor is very strong and brings the sweet aroma into your mouth. The tartness lingers for quite some time. What an IPA should taste like.

M: A smooth lighter feel. Tingling on the sides of the tongue. Great carbonation. Enough to really make the beer explode all over.

D: Overall a gorgeous looking and feeling beer. I have never been a huge fan of IPAs, so I can't say that I would drink a number of these, but for the style, very good.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I had this brew at room temp poured into a pint glass. The brew pours a clear amber to mahogany color with creamy beige head that recedes to a sturdy edge layer, leaving tight lattice work.
Aroma is mostly citrusy hops and a hint of caramel. Further sniffs get some grassy notes as well.
First sip reveals an average body and gentle fine carbonation. Texture is slightly sticky and leaves some residue on my lips after each sip.
Flavor is sweet caramel that rolls to citrusy and grassy hops just like the nose. the finish becomes a little dry and bitey but not over the top like I expected going into the brew. Very drinkable for a 10% beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a Stone Imperial glass. Dark copper color, very clear in appearance. Quite a lot of tiny carbonation bubbles lead to a small one finger head that is just a tad bit darker than sea foam in color and creamy in appearance. The six years this has sat in the bottle has done nothing to the appearance. Very nice.

Smell is ultra sweet. Much like a Barleywine, caramelized sugar, light molasses or kayro syrup, some vanilla and lots of booze.

Taste is just fantastic. Creamy sweet caramel syrup vanilla notes, some bitterness and a bit of alcohol burn. I think the bitterness I am detecting could be some oxidation but I'm not refined in tasting this old of a beer.

Mouth is just fantastic. Smooth and creamy, carbonation is right on. The finish is very long and wet but not super mouth coating witch is nice.

Overall I must first thank t0rin0 for this bottle. He answered an ISO and wanted nothing in return. I did, of course, send him a box but he wanted nothing. To the beer... For this being as old as it is it drank fantastic!! Much more like a Barleywine than a DIPA but that is to be expected. I am glad I chose to celebrate IPA day 2012 with this!! Grab one if you can.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Originally revied on 10/12/2006.

This one has been sitting in my fridge for 6 weeks. Ive been waiting, Ive read the reviews, now its my turn.

Lots of carbonation that continues to push the head to a taller nice tan mountain, even after your done pouring. Almost 2 and a half fingers tall. Body is a rich beautiful orange amber typical of many Belgium styles. Nose is a vibrant citrus, fruit sweet hop explosion to the system. Very inviting. Enters the mouth silky and fruity sweet with a very even slightly oily hoppy backbone. Amazing balance and personality. Finishes with a candy sweet ting and a hoppy bitter bite. Alchol hides very well but you know its there trust me. Excellent landmark brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark golden copper color with a one finger just off-white head with very thin bubbles. Some thin swirls of head stay on top of the liquid.

Fruity and piney notes come in but are overtaken by lots of malt. Toasty toffee and caramel come in with very spicy alcohol with a hint of tanned hides. Mmm. I can't wait to dig in.

Bitter spicy hops attack up front but are surprisingly balanced by the fruity citrusy hops. Huge orange peel taste. Very smooth almost thick mouthfeel that tickles the tongue. There's some alcohol warmth after swallowing but it quickly turns dry. Very dry and spicy in the swallow.

Mmm good beer. Many thanks to Zorro for this WONDERFUL beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

appearance: Pours into my favorite beer glass with a fluffy, off-white head that slowly falls to a nice layer on the surface that lasts for quite awhile. Light lacing is left behind as I drain the glass. The beer is a bright copper-amber in color. Reverse label #4 of 10.

smell: At first sniff, I find a full-on hop assault of the nose. Juicy, dark, evergreen hops that lend lovely notes of tropical fruits. These hops are backed up by a sweet, malty caramel aroma. Ethanol presence is low, at most, and a boon to the aroma. Notes of tangerine, concentrated fig pulp, and vanilla iced lemon poundcake. Exceptional mix of badass hops with sweet malts and fruits.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is low-medium. The body is a full medium, somewhat slick on the tongue, though it cleans up nicely in the finish.

taste: Big, grainy caramel malt sweetness supports a thick American hop flavor. Unrelenting pulpy, dark evergreen hops coat the palate from sip to finish. Notes of tropical fruits and citrus, sweet Turkish fig sugars, and golden raisins. Sweet cake. I'm guessing the IBU's are high here, but it really doesn't come across that way. Not a drop of ethanol is noticeable. Moderate bitterness in the finish with long-lingering grain and hop flavors.

drinkability: easy, considering...though i do feel the alcohol after the first 1/3 bottle. An extremely well rounded beer for such a monster. The only DIPA I've had that can touch YuleSmith.

the "surprise" in my latest box in an ongoing exchange with dirtylou

08-22-07: Still good, but already going downhill. The malts have backed off, revealing more of the ethanol that was well hidden before. Hops still nice but also pretty faded. Past its prime for sure.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After what seems of months of waiting I was finally able to procur a case of these wonderful beauties.
A-Deep amber color, almost copper with a nice thick rich head
S-The smell of citrus and pine is everywhere, i wish glade could make plug-ins smell like this.
T-Unbeleivable, bitter but yet not too bitter
M-Stays in your mouth for a long time. After swallowing when you take a breath the flavor of the hops comes back to say hi, its a wonderfull thing
D-I could drink a lot of these in one sitting, but considering i only have 11 left, it will be slow going to ensure I have enough to at least last through december. WHy Stone WHy, did this have to be a one time brewing.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

biegaman was nice enough to share this one with me. thanks jan!

pours a light copper colour with a big, dense yellow head. head is slow to drop and leaves a nice layer of lace behind.

aroma is great. first sniff was a touch catty, but after that the other dimensions come out. fruity, orange and tangerine. just a hint of grapefruit. not piney/resiny at all. no real alcohol noticeable.

taste is great. really nice bready malt, decent bitterness level that isn't over the top, and a wonderful hoppiness. alcohol comes a bit, but well balanced. really complex, much more than the average dipa. bit of sherry/dried fruit. maybe cherry. nice.

mouthfeel is great. nice body without being overly full. good moderate carbonation level.

drinkabilty is suprisingly high. hides its 10% really well. i could easily drink a few of these, and fall over. but it's good!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to tyrawlings for the chance. Poured into a Dobbelen tulip.

Appearance: Rust colored body, big off-white head, very slow fade.

Smell: Sweet caramel in front sharp alcohol and floral hops (a lot of them). There is also a strong fruit and honey scent that makes it a very interesting beer to smell.

Taste: A rich and maly, yet highly hopped DIPA. Sweet, yet never cloying, a well above average DIPA. The alcohol is noticable, but an asset to the experience.

Drinkability: While not the best in the style, not too far from, top notch. Happy 10th, Stone.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It was a long, terrible wait, but it was worth it! Just opening the bottle released a cornucopia of aromas. Pouring it in the glass caused the room to fill up with flowery essences that crowded into my nasal cavity.

Sitting in the pint glass next to the cool bottle, it's a beautiful beer, with a color and head matching my expectations. Almost a shame to have to go and drink it.

The taste came on very, very strong with the first mouthfull, but mellowed on the tongue the more you drink it and the more it breathes.

This is a potent brew--by the end of the bottle I can say that I had a good glow going. It's got a lot of alcohol in it, so hiding away a couple of these bad boys for aging would be wise. If you can resist drinking them, that is.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a clean, dark amber honey colored concoction. Lots of mellow bubble activity in the glass weaving too and frow, working their way to the top. The head is a solid one finger layer made up of creamy, tight light beige bubbles. Webbing like swiss cheese is left behind.

S: Yes, this smells great. Very fresh and healthy. Now for the details. Fruity and citrusy; tangerine, grapefruit, lemon rind, strawberry, raspberry. Touch of pine bark lurking below the surface. Solid malt syrup adds a much appreciated extra dimension to ever sniff (and inevitably ever swallow)

T: . Wow, lots going on here. Lets start from the top. Immediate mixture of sweet malts and sneaky bitterness tickles the front of the tongue. Pine needle sap dances on the front center of the tongue as the liquid move towards the back of the mouth. Caramel notes spike while the transition from forest to Florida come to fruition. Citrus flavors mix with red fruits and coast the palate into a more complex moment with bitterness becoming much more apparent. The alcohol is apparent and in your face (for better or for worse). This beer would be great on a winter night, as it warms the tummy so exquisitely.

M: Medium body and surprisingly smooth for such a bitter beer.

D: Huge. Great friggin beer. Hand crafted superbly.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My third review and it's a doozy! My beer reviews are pretty much for me, in my own words, so I can remember each beer experience!

This beer was my very first double IPA ever. I had it a few months ago, after I bought an entire case of it for a fellow BA (Blithering Idiot) for being such a great friend and showing me a couple of great beer stores in PA and MD. He left my husband and I two bottles out of the case to try out. Not really thinking anything of it, a few weeks later I finally said okay, let's try this Stone 10th Anniversary Ale..now, mind you,I am not a hophead by any stretch, as a matter of fact I am not really a fan of bitter or really hoppy beers at all, I prefer stouts!

Poured a clear, crisp, golden color, with a bit of head and some lacing into my tulip.

The smell, oh, the smell is the best part - all of the hops gives a citrusy, fruity, piney, smell, with a final, strong, smack in the face grapefruit smell. For some reason, I LOVE the smell of this beer..I could just smell it all day long!!

The second best part of this beer is the taste. I gotta tell you that when I first smelled this, I was afraid that the taste would be exactly the same - smack in the face grapefruit. In as much as I love the smell, I don't really like the taste of grapefruit. I was pleasantly surprised that this beer is not overpowered by the grapefruit. A nice, full bodied beer, and a perfect balance between the hops and malt here. No major bitterness here at all!

Today, I am enjoying yet another 10th Anniversary, about the 3rd or 4th one since my very first, and each time, I enjoy it more and more. This is by far the best DIPA I have had thus far.

Way to go, Stone!
Cheers!
April

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - poured a three fingers thick light tan head into a large weizen glass. the head was thick, billowy and incredibly long-lasting. left thick lacing and nice sheeting throughout.
s - as soon as i popped the cap i was hit with the aroma of grapefruit. very sweet and malty. the aromas mix nicely between hoppy and malty.
t - piney, floral and citrus tastes with a nice malt backbone that really balances out well.
m - smooth and sticky, it really coats the tongue.
d - you can really feel the alcohol after one bomber of this. i was feeling really good afterwards. it goes down so smooth you don't even know what hits you. i really enjoyed this beer.

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a translucent yellow, some haze. Decent, rocky head. Explosive bouquet that boast a nearly overwhelming (if it weren't so appetizing) amount of tangy, floral hops. Flavours as citruisy but balanced well with a hefty malt bill to back it up. Alcohol smooths out the hop bitterness, and the flavour really hides the alcohol - the two play off eachother so well. Tremendous. Not too far off from their Ruination which we had prior to this, but I found I enjoyed this much more. What this has that makes it so spectacular is dimension. It is (to me, seemingly) as complex as IPA or DIPA's get. Sure there is a lot of hops, malt, big boozy body, but this posses something most* other DIPA's dont - complexity and dimension. What a pleasure!

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

Hell of a brew. Had it fresh years ago (dimly remembered), and recall loving it, but was surprised to see bottles of this reappearing.

Pours a bright orange with hints of amber. Two inches of off-white head.

The aroma ... breathtaking. Exotic fruits (pineapple? Mango? Guava? Mandarin Orange?) and a bunch of sweet white grapefruit with ... is that malt I detect? Wow, the flavor is pretty balanced. Sweet, viscous caramel, delightful brown sugar, and a bunch of sweet grapefruit and tropical notes.

This is a splendid beer, and I'm shocked at how well it's aged. Going back and getting more. Many more. I never cellar any hop-based brews, but I'm going to make an exception. This has really gone through a barley-wine style maturation process (10% ABV?), and while it may be a different animal, it's still one I'd like to butcher and consume.

**I spotted this review after writing my own: I agree, and would like to know how the tenth was stored.

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

'06-Holy Shit!, this stuff is blowing me away! I am a malt man, so there aren't very many IPA's that would ever garner this much admirition from me. Wow! Half of a glass into this and I can't keep up with my thoughts.
Absolutely gorgeous pour (think blood apricot with a beautiful full head of curls), that dims quickly, but is reconstituted with a few swirls.
A bodaciously huge citric fruit nose (I feel like I'm walking through a grapefruit orchard). Very floral, clean & fragrant.
Great juicy fruit tartness, and not overly bitter, with a subtle malt finish.
Great on the tongue, but maybe a little too much syrup on the finish.
Again, I am not what a beerman would befriend if he were a hop-head, but holy shit!, this beer is damn-near perfect. And this review is not influenced by any of the Stone hype. Very balanced.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Served slightly chilled in a pint glass. Poured a rather cloudy, dull orange. Almost a brownish tint to it. Moderate amounts of lace on the glass from the two finger , frothy off-white head that had decent retention. Smelled strongly of citrus fruits, piney hops, and minor hints of alcohol. Tasted of orange, maybe some grapefruit hidden in there, lemon zest, and hops with a little bit of pine coming through. Needs to be a little warmer. Nice bitter hoppy brew that was smooth with a nice warming alcohol finish. The alcohol isn't too overpowering. Just enough carbonation. Glad I have a few of these kicking around because the drinkability is great. Definitely a new favorite of mine.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Pours a cloudy slightly dark amber color with peachish hues. Frothy and soaplike one finger cream colored head.
S: Extra bold pine hop aromas with citrus, mostly grapefruit notes. Nice bold sweet sugary maltyness also noticeable.
T/M: Pine and grapefruit hop notes with a dominant sweet malt undercurrent. Nice bitterness that lingers. Sweet malt takes on a sugary taste. Oily and resiny hop character slowly glides across the palate leaving a slick film behind. Bigger level of bitterness in the aftertaste once it warms a bit--more malty presence the colder it is. Smooth mouthfeel with a good level of carbonation. Medium to heavy body. Sweet and oily when you lick your lips. One damn good brew.
D: Pretty damn tasty dipa, but I didn't expect anything less from Stone. High abv of 10%? Noticeable in the warming of the chest, but besides that, not on the palate. I would drink bomber after bomber of this stuff, although after 3, I may not be standing any longer. Very very very drinkable even with the high abv. So smooth, yet so potent.

I wonder how this would hold up in the cellar. I would think the hop profile would suside a bit leaving the malt to dominate. Glad I had this sooner rather than later. On tap? Probably phenomenal. In the bottle, well...just exquisite. Get one if you can!

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Another Stone classic – those that can readily get these are indeed fortunate.

I mean, check this out: semi-hazy amber, poured hard in case the 10% tries to knock down the head. But it didn’t, got a nice ivory cap that left sticky laces. TONS of citrus, orange and hops in the aroma. Very sweet and sticky quaff, can’t believe the amount of orange in here. NO hint of alcohol, it slides oily and smooth.

Nice. Enough said, what more can you say about a superb brew>

Muchas Thanks to boolshot for sending this for my BA annv.

On tap at Zeno’s in State College, PA
A: Attractive mahogany with a small, foamy, off-white, slowly diminishing head
S: Earthy malts and piney hops are quite inviting. A little floral.
T: Woodsy and smooth. Some dark fruit, caramel, brown sugar and a hint of pepper and alcohol. Dry, piney finish
M: Medium-full body, texture is lightly syrupy up front, finishing dry. Low carbonation
D: Great balance, great flavors. I really enjoyed this one and would buy this again for sure.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Obviously Stone has few equals when it comes to hopped up brews (the RIS is no slouch either). It's with 0 surprise that I report the Stone 10th Anniversary IPA is winner. Honestly when Stone focuses on this style its a no-brainer ... they win. Period. This brew is certainly no exception. The pour is honey bronze topped by an excitable creamy head. If only there was some lacing this would be perfect appearance wise. Nose is just massive and unrestrainable. Lots of pineapple and grapefruit. There's also plenty of malt that plays just the right supporting role never going so far as to steal the hops main attraction title. When I say there is malt I mean, THERE IS MALT! It isn't meek and does all it can to coexist peacefully with the hops while trying to usurp it in a friendly fashion. The malt is full of cherries, toasted corn, rum and caramel. There's also a bit of unexpected spice .... damn what a fantastic beer. Mouth is full and excessively creamy. Stone my hat is off to you. I would not hesistate to buy this beer again and again. A lovely double IPA.

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

From notes. 22oz bomber. Pours a copper orange hue that's quite dark. A nice half inch of light tan head on top as well. Looks great in the glass with good clarity. Aromas burst out of the glass with an onslaught of thick hop oil fumes. Pine aromas intertwine with massive citric/tropical notes. I get a big pineapple/mango aroma off this brew. Smooth caramel malts underneath. Quite simply a beautiful, enticing aroma that makes it hard for me to put my glass down.

First sip brings a rush of hop oils right off the bat along with a velvety smooth caramel maltiness. A superb hop profile with a mix of pine resin and vibrant tropical, citrus flavors. A touch of pineapple surfaces again. Flows down with a touch of alcohol and a big, bold bitterness that is to be expected. A massively tasty brew that brings the hops without remorse. Yum.

Mouthfeel is big and very smooth & creamy with just enough carbonation. The big alcohol is very well masked, making this one hell of a tasty, drinkable DIPA. I really wish I had more of this and I will keep my fingers crossed that this gets brewed again someday. One of the best DIPA's to cross my lips.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing