Stone 10th Anniversary IPA | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 08-19-2006

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Fantastic brew for Stone's 10th anniversary!

A - Nice reddish body with a full head that sticks around...and sticks around the sides a good long time!
S - Very strong fresh squeezed grapefruit juice scent. Wonderful!
T - Marvelous grapefruit and mango flavor. Very fruity in the best sense possible.
M - The malt is drawn up quickly as it gets sucked up by the hops which spreads all over the tonue quite nicely.
D - Very drinkable for the double IPA lover. A little tough for those of us who find uber hoppy ales to be, well, over the top.

4.87/5  rDev +14.1%

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA was clear, copper/brass in color and topped by a large, off-white head. Aroma had notes of grapefruit, lemon, and orange, with a bready undertone. Flavor begins sweet and bready, followed with lemon zest and orange, and finished with bitterness and a hint of alcohol. Body was in the medium-full range and the carbonation was in the mid-range.

Stone 10th is a big, bold, and bitter beer, but still is remarkably balanced. I feel a bit guilty that I didn't share this IPA. Oh well, I'll get over it. Seek out this beer.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours into the snifter a slightly hazy amber-orange color. Props up a 1/2" bone white head with admirable retention throughout the glass. Some minimal spotty lacing noted.

As with most Stone ales the hops are king here. Crisp, tangy citrus and pine aromas waft up immedaitely to greet the nose. Some faint supportive notes of vanilla, flowers and light malts are in the background.

Mouthfeel is fairly full-bodied and pleasantly creamy, smooth and round.

Initial sip is all hops to the forefront. Lots of orange/grapefruit rind, pine needles and tropical fruits with a hefty lip-smacking bitterness. However, an appreciative appearance of semi-sweet caramel apple and malt cereal sweetness sneaks in to balance the hop blast out a bit.

Finishes long, dry and cleanly bitter. In addition it is very hard to believe this is a 10%’er in the alcohol dept. It’s hidden beyond belief. An easy one going down at 10% for sure!

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

presentation: 22 oz collectors bottle #5 of 10, poured into large duvel tulip glass.

app: stunning clarity and golden orange hue with some rosey red highlights in light. pours an off white almost light tannish head that stood about a half inch tight and creamy before slowly collapsing, leaving signs of nice clingy lace.

smell: pow, sweet wonderful malt woven with fruity tropical hop notes, some citrusy spice, minty pine, and a waft of pleasant balanced subdued alcohol.

taste: mirrors the smell very well, nice malty backbone with tropical fruity hops, citrus pine and caramel, very well balanced, some dried fruits such as cherry and sweetened cranberry. For a big beer a very clean fermentation in which the complexity of tastes develops from the mix of malt, hops and alcohol as opposed to esters.

MF: big and creamy not too dry, sweet upfront malty bittersweet finish, right on for the style in my opinion. This is the way I like my Imperial/Double IPAs.

Drinkability: not a session beer by any means but it masks the 10% abv very well. For a big ipa this in an elite example and one to be enjoyed slowley by the fire, or in your favorite reading chair.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

This is a mighty hop and alcohol achievement!

It has monsterous amounts of hops but still maintains an incredible balance. Definitely NOT malty but not overwhelmingly hoppy in taste or smell.

Just smooth, orangey, citrusy syrupy drinkability with massive amounts of alcohol that is so unnoticeable I'd almost think they were lying about the abv (but once you get a third of the way through the bottle you know they're not).

Just incredible in it's balance and ability to not overwhelm the palate, even though it's a huge beer.

Stone are the masters of big beers.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Glad I purchased 2 of these because I had very different experiences. I think I drank the first one too cold. The second one I had forgotten that I had taken out of the fridge, so by the time I got to it, it was pretty close to room temperature. This really made the beer more drinkable and much more likeable.

Pours a dark orange that verges on light brown. Medium sized head, maybe 1/2". This bad boy is hoppy, oh yes. But it is so much more balanced than the Ruination, in my opinion. Medium bodied, medium malts, but just the right amount of sweetness. Slightly carbonated, just enough to avoid syrupy mouthfeel. Amazingly drinkable, especially given the alcohol content (which i didnt know was so high until i looked here after drinking it).

Too bad this was only brewed once - really was a great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to my cousin I finally got my hands on this one. The pour was a copper red with a two finger head that slowly disssapated and left a nice lace on the glass throughout the drink.

The smell was heavy in hop spice with a slight malt hint and a citrus aroma in the rear of the nose.

The drink started with a smooth citrus and malt mix a little hops in the middle and a hard hop kick at the finish. The hops lingered just long enough and then finished smooth.

A great IPA I can't wait to crack open the one I've got put up for next year.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

22 oz. bottle into a pilsner.

golden orange and copper with a thick layer of off-white head. nearly transparent and leaving nice rings of lace.

tons of hop aromas of all kinds in the aroma. strong tropical component, with pineapple and mango, but also with a strong citrusy grapefruit and lime presence. grassy, weedy, resiny hops there as well. hard to pick out the malts, just some slight sugary sweetness in the background.

assertively hoppy, but with some restraint and balance. strongly grassy and citrusy at the front, with a hint of caramel malt, then a resiny bitter finish. thick, heavy mouthfeel; bare hints of the high alcohol content but it's for the most part well-hidden. a very well-made beer.

4.27/5  rDev 0%

Pours a reddish-orange body with a lossely knit off white head that disipated to a film across the top at some what of a speedy rate leaving behind nice ringed lacing.

The beer gives off an extremely hoppy aroma that is similar to pinetrees, grapefruit and tangerines. Faint hints of malts present in the aroma. Oddly enough no real alcohol smell present which I was expecting from a beer with a 10%abv.

Taste is absolutley wonderfull. When it first hits the tounge there is a big smack of the pinecone and citrus hops taste that wakes up your palate and makes way for a suprisingly large malt backbone. Very balanced for Stones, very nice.

The is a slight alcohol warming in the mouth and the beer finishes very dry.I could sip this beer all day if I had the chance. Out of the two Anniversary Ales I've had from Stones (9th and 10th hey I'm only 22) This one is by far my favorite.

4.11/5  rDev -3.7%

Tried a sample from a tap to see if it was any different from the bottle. And wow, this is actually drinkable on tap. Didn't have the weird phenolics that the bottle I reviewed had and the alcohol flavors not as dominating. Hop aroma was still a little deficient for the style, but the aroma was not unpleasant like the bottle. Typical Stone yeast flavors and hop profile but still needed a bit more bitterness imo. Juicy hop flavors coupled with a nice creamy mouthfeel and subdued alcohol flavors made this version of Stone 10th very enjoyable.

4.27/5  rDev 0%

I wouldn't rate the bottle in the appearance but if I did it would be a 5 with a great looking gargoyle lifting their glass celebrating 10 years of great brewing. A darker - more amber ADIPA than most with a big rich noisy light tan head announcing the hops to come. The first word that comes to mind in tasting this is - lush. It is a lush rich thick beer shake of a DIPA with all the citrus and dry hop bitterness you would hope from a San Diego IPA. A very satisfying beer and at 10% it makes for a great single bottle celebration. At $4.99 a bottle it is a bargain.

3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

This brew is different. I mean that will all respect to Stone.
This beer looks and smells great, however, the taste is a little different. The taste is a little stale and odd. It's spicy but its stale. I would have loved to try this and the 9th ann fresh. I really wish I had been of age to try these brews fresh.

Overall, I this this brew would be good. I really think I had a bad bottle. Fresh or aged (properly) this brew should and is good.

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle label # 2 of 10 Big thanks to metallitone1 for sending this my way.

Bottle poured into my snifter a light amber color with a nice head leaving lots of lacing around the glass. Big west coast hop aroma. Taste of grapefruit, citrusy bitter hops with a bit alcohol and a dry finish. Mouth feel seems right on and the drinkability is pretty high considering the alcohol and the big hops. Looking forward to drinking this one while it last.

4.4/5  rDev +3%

Translucent dark orange body with a creamy white head. Nice lacing as it slowly fades. Sweet fruity hops. Pineapple, peaches, grapefruit, very aromatic. A bit of alcohol, but can be expected with 10%. Also a good bit of rich malt presence.

This is pretty damn good. Bittersweet hops cleanse your palate with every drink. The fruit that was present in the aroma is manifesting itself on your tongue. The bitterness only lasts for a short second though as the malt profile comes through. Very solid to keep it balanced. Me likey. Finishes with a grapefruit bitter aftertaste. Has a little alcohol as it warms.

Oily medium body with medium carbonation. Just right for my likings. The bubbles create a creamy feeling as it slides down your throat. Incredibly drinkable. At 10% this is an incredibly balanced IIPA and super easy to drink, dangerously easy.

This reminded me alot of Dreadnaught in its hop and malt profile as well as the drinkability. Tremendous beer from Greg and Co.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Deep burnt orange in color with a very cloudy body. Head is off-white that stick around for a little bit, but fades a little quicker than I would like. That said, it's my only knock. The lacing is spectacular.

S - Awesome. This must be summit hops. Bright and lively tangerine on the nose with piney undercurrents. The body of this beer would lead me to believe that I would smell some roasted malts, but they are having a hard time breaking through the hops.

T - Huge initial pine cone blast followed by the citris on the nose. A malt sweetness peaks in for awhile before quickly going away .. beaten into submission by the oily hops. Finishes a bit "hot" and slightly on the boozy side.

M - Medium bodied and oily. Goes down smooth.

D - Pretty good, but the abv is very apparent. Warms a bit as it goes down, leading me to the conclusion that more than one of these in a sitting might make for a short evening.

2.41/5  rDev -43.6%

Aroma - Thick caramel malts, light citrus fruits, sherry and oxidized hops. Slight alcohol detected. Misses the marks for a double IPA, closer to a barley wine.

Appearance - Medium copper color, thin yet long lasting halo of a white head. Slight haze.

Flavor - Strong, sweet malts dominate and a slight alcohol note are the front runners. Alcohol bite is still strong even months after release. Moderate hop bitterness and catty resinous hop flavor. Balance is way off on the caramel, sweet and malty side ... the hops used here aren't all that pleasant.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied, sticky and cloying on the palate. Both the hops and the malts are cloying. Its over the top and too much. Less crystal malts and a stronger attenuating yeast would really make this shine, perhaps a sugar addition would help to dry this thing out.

Overall impression - Too many big and deep malty flavors infused with an alcohol note that make this just way too much. With some age this will probably be better, but at that point it will be even less Imperial IPA like than it already is.

I'll stick with Stone IPA or Ruination if I'm looking for a well done IPA.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

From a 22oz. bomber. It poured out a dull copper color with a ¼ in. head. This beer has a very interesting and complex hop aroma.
I smell sweet orange, peach, a flower scent, and a hint of biscuit.

The taste is definitely IPA, with a notable bitterness, but it is well-balanced by some malt backbone. In fact, this is one of the better balanced IPAs I’ve ever tried. The bitterness is strong, but not so over the top that it impacts the drinkability. This beer is very drinkable, and you could easily drink a lot of it. The mouthfeel is very full and smooth with a bitter but not dry finish. An excellent IPA!

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured a clear, orange copper with a medium, near-white head. Excellent retention, with thick lacings.

A sweet, citrusy malt character is overcome by an explosion of tantalizing hops. I fully expect to see a sprig of pine swimming in my glass, but alas it's just delicious smelling beer. This is a hophead's cologne.

After smelling this divine nectar, I was almost hesitant to take a sip. Too many times have I been drawn in by a glorious aroma, only to be under whelmed by the taste. This is not one of those times. There is a flavor of sweet fruit up front that quickly and sharply mixes with a dry, citrus character and a divine euphoria of hops. I can nearly sense the pine needles traversing my palate. The high alcohol percentage is very noticeable in the warming and in the dry aftertaste.

This has an excellent mouthfeel, as it is less viscous than other potent double IPA's. A slight syrupy consistency blends perfectly with the carbonation. This could easily be the most drinkable double IPA that I've ever had.

I love Stone. I love hops. I love IPA's. I often feel that double IPA's lose something in their pursuit for the most over-the-top beer. For me, this is the benchmark for the style. Smooth, hoppy, delicious and dangerously drinkable at ten percent.

4.56/5  rDev +6.8%

Hoppy birthday!

Appearance: I'm drinking this out of an oversized wine glass, and it simply couldn't be more breathtaking. Deep amber with a head that won't quit. If it didn't taste so good, I could stare at it for hours.

Smell: Pine! This beer makes me feel like I'm in Flagstaff. Also notes of honey and hops.

Taste: I hate to be redundant, but it tastes like it smells, absolutely amazing. Very malty & smooth for an IPA. I was surprised by this.

Mouthfeel: Almost erotic. Leaves the whole mouth feeling tingly & warm. Reminds me of Booker's bourbon in this sense. If my girlfriend was a beer drinker... Oh well, it's probably best that she's not. I drink enough for both of us as it is.

Drinkability: Not for sessions, and not a brew for all seasons. In other words, if you have somewhere to be in the next few hours you're probably better off downing a bottle of NyQuil. Smooth as it may be (and is), I'm prevented from giving it a 5 in this category for this reason. Aside from that, I'm very pleasantly surprised. IPAs have a tendency to leave me feeling assaulted by someone's vain attempt to create a nearly undrinkable beer. Not today. This represents the best of what Stone stands for; beer as high art.

Now leave me alone so I can finish my damn beer!

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark golden copper color with a one finger just off-white head with very thin bubbles. Some thin swirls of head stay on top of the liquid.

Fruity and piney notes come in but are overtaken by lots of malt. Toasty toffee and caramel come in with very spicy alcohol with a hint of tanned hides. Mmm. I can't wait to dig in.

Bitter spicy hops attack up front but are surprisingly balanced by the fruity citrusy hops. Huge orange peel taste. Very smooth almost thick mouthfeel that tickles the tongue. There's some alcohol warmth after swallowing but it quickly turns dry. Very dry and spicy in the swallow.

Mmm good beer. Many thanks to Zorro for this WONDERFUL beer.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

This beer poured a dark hazy amber orange hue from a 22oz bomber. Great screen printed label with a nice lengthy story on the back. Nice appreciation to the drinkers of Stone products. Had #3 of 10 for the art on the bottle label. Nice color and head. Beautiful creamy tan colored head that dissipates to a mild film on top. Proved to have some great lacing cascading down the whole glass. The smell is very complex with many different aromas merging to create quite a different smell. There are a mix of peaches and apricots also subtle hints of mild caramel malt tones. There are some decent kicks of citrus in the back ground. Has a rather different smell from other double IPA's I have tried. Ten percent ABV is hidden very well in the nice blend of flavors in the taste. Mild hop oil flavors mix with a rather smooth caramel malt flavor up front followed by a strong hop presence. Finally the finish is with a strong kick in the mouth hop finish. The mixed flavors of citrusy grapefruit and caramel tones from the malt really make for an enjoyable and very drinkable beer. Well crafted and balanced brew. Well done for a double IPA.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured 22oz bomber into a 22oz beer glass. Beer has been aged in the fridge for the past 3 years.

A - A clean pour into my glass with a good finger of tan head that dissipates in the glass leaving a nice cover of lacing. There is a lot of carbonation and foam for a 3+ year old beer. The color of the beer is dark copper and the beer is exceptionally clear for an aged DIPA.

S - The smell is spicy with a strong malt presence. There is a strong toasted malt, caramel and burnt sugar flavor of this beer. As for a high powered hop presence it is not there. There is a hint of pine and citrusy hops but the malt is the clear winner here.

T - Strong hop presence and bitterness on the front end which segues quite nicely into a spicy caramel malt flavor that finishes with a fruity kick to it. The alcohol is well hidden in this beer. The beer tends to grab more flavor as it warms up a bit.

M - This is a medium bodied beer that has moderate carbonation on board. The beer starts with a bite but finishes very smooth and somewhat dry. Slight feel of warming alcohol on the back end but not overwhelming.

D - Very drinkable and well aged after 3+ years. The alcohol is extremely well hidden but does catch up to you after you finish the entire 22oz. This is a nice beer that seems to be off the beaten path compared to your traditional DIPA offerings. I would definitely drink it again.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing