///Fear.Movie.Lions

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
///Fear.Movie.Lions///Fear.Movie.Lions
Notes: New England-style IPAs are all the rage. Fans of Stone repeatedly ask for our take on the style, which can be met with some criticism. Rooted in West-Coast style IPAs for decades, how would we do it? Fear no more. Our brewers took the approach to deliver incredibly hoppy and aromatic flavor while keeping it very balanced, and upping the alcohol unnoticeably - nailing this astounding one-of-a-kind creation.

Overall, this unfitered double IPA is juiced up with masve Loral and Mosaic tropical and citrus notes. The mild bitterness and relatively dry body compliment the style, and the residual maltiness nicely rounds it out. Lingering lime peel and tropical fruit derived from the hops stand out on the finish, begging one to seek out more.

What 3 words pinpoint where this indelible beast was born? The location is printed on the can.

There’s a 3m x 3m square in our Richmond, VA brewery with these three words painted on it. What three words? Exactly! For the uninitiated, that's What3Words. It's a global addressing system to bring locations to the previously unlocatable. Inspired by the positive impact of this system, we decided to name this IPA after a 3-meter square in the brewery where it was created. Check it out. So now, when someone says to you "What three words?” You can reply with your own answer... if it's ///Fear.Movie.Lions, we'll see you here!
Reviews: 187 | Ratings: 612 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an orange/copper color with a fair 2-3 finger white head. Smells delicious. Taste follows the nose and fabulous. A lighter malt with a hint of sweetness. The hops are a little floral, citrus and orange is forward. Absolutely NO bitterness. The mouthfeel is thin and very quaffable. At 8.2% ABV it is not even noticeable. Overall the Fear Movie Lions is really a pleasure. Another lasting impression from Stone Brewing. A 16 ounce can dates 04/22/20 ENJOY BY 8/20/20. Funny name but fabulous brew. I'll be picking this up again when I find it.

3.58/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours from the bottle a warm orange-amber.
Light hop notes mismatched by a stronger phenolic boozy kick on the aroma, just enough to overpower. The flavor hits with a orange-tangerine touch, and some drying bitterness.

4.01/5  rDev -1.5%

Review #1414

A Stone brewery beer. FML, I doubt they meant Fear Movie Lions, but Fuck My Life. Sadly, Stone beers have been a hit or miss. I think since they sold out, the beer is not the quality I was used to. I said this before, and I will reiterate it again Stone Brewing meant quality, not meh. The beer is 46 degrees and served in a tulip glass. The pour of the beer produced a three-fingered head. The ivory foam head is creamy and airy. The retention of the head is average. The head of the beer left chunky lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is SRM 6, a pale amber hue. The beer is hazy.

The initial aromas in the beer are oranges, lemons, and papaya. Digging deeper, I smell bread crust, pine, floral esters, a touch of herbal, grapefruit, and earthiness.

The flavors in the beer are bread, biscuit, toasted malts, malty sweetness, floral esters, pine, grapefruit, mandarins, herbal, mangos, lemons, earthy, malty sweetness, and a hint of caramel.

The mouthfeel of the beer is astringent and dry.

The body of the beer is medium, medium carbonation, and fuller finish.

This NEIPA is a bit drier than I am used too. The malt profile is robust, holds the hop firmly. The hops are rounded, the malt backbone shores it up. The beer is a solid example of NEIPA, satisfying beer but not great.

4.21/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L: Very hazy, thick, amber color, one finger tan colored head, messy lacing, no carbonation.

S: Hops, malts. Smells like a typical APA, not an IPA. Not much going on.

T: Hops, malts, slightly bitter, juicy. Delicious. Totally off-style but who cares? It's daaaaamn good!

F: Medium bodied, smooth, full of hop flavors.

O: Another masterpiece from Stone.

2.02/5  rDev -50.4%

I'm not sure why stone would make a new england ipa and drinking this I can't help but say I hate that they did.

It's a big thick and creamy head. It's not full of floaters or other cool stuff, instead just a thick body.

Nose - it's not doing much for me. Tropical fruits and cream.

Taste - this makes me think they added lactose to an IPA. It's citrus and very nice in that sense but there's a vanilla cream and then something off.

It's super rich and creamy but that isn't an IPA and it's even a bit off for a New England IPA.

Stone has taken the hazy IPA idea and run with scissors, fallen, and it's not good. While each aspect of this beer is fine, it seems stone is lost and this continues what seems like a long road of failure after failure over the past 6 or so years. A once proud brewery just can't seem to make a good beer anymore.

3.64/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

19.2 fl.oz. canned 04/07/20. Not sure why I had high hopes for this but I was disappointed. It’s okay but borderline awful. Sythentic, cloying, artificial. Tastes like they used citrus flavoring rather than hops. West Coast breweries need to stop trying NEIPAs just bc of the hype. WCIPAs are delicious so keep those coming. Sad attempts at hazy beers is just a bad look.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

I got a stovepipe of this at Whole Foods. Brewed mid-January. Poured into a pint glass.

Look: Pours a deep, opaque, and murky amber-copper color with a rich haze that obscures the flurry of carbonation rising to feed the slightly off white head. Great retention and strong lacing throughout.

Smell: Tropical and juicy mango, stonefruit, pineapple, and caramel malts are aplenty in the appealing and pronounced aroma of this juicy brew. The dank, wet hop aromas are fresh and enticing.

Taste/Feel: The taste is an explosion of pineapple, mango, peach, melon, cherimoya all from the unique hops with a caramel and light biscuit malt balance. The rich, smooth-bodied mouthfeel and very well-hidden alcohol yield excellent drinkability. The finish is dry and has a complex lingering citrus component with whispers of tropical influence.

Overall: I really enjoyed this beer. I like the stuff that Stone is brewing these days, they definitely know how to make a unique and hoppy brew. I've had their Viking Space Probe and Scorpion Bowl recently and they are pretty interesting.

I had this a few months ago and was not overly impressed with it but I have bought a few more sixers since then and it's really growing on me.

Lots of tropical fruit juice.... it's one that I can find pretty regularly in my parts and I will continue to buy it...

Packs a healthy punch and is very well hidden... if you see this out you need to at least give it a try. It's tasty stuff...

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Fluffy two finger head of dark and orange-tinged tan, retention above average, thick and long lacing. Deep amber hued liquid with a super fine silt throughout, credible amount of bubbles to stir it up. Malty nose like malted milk balls crammed up your nostrils, honeyed, molasses, thick leafy matter, guava, pineapple to passion fruit, grapefruit pulp, just too heavy to sniff repeatedly with pleasure. Thick and full-bodied in the mouth as well, the carbonation negligible. More grassy here yet there’s no real bite and this recedes into tar, tea leaf accents. Heavyset tangerine, pink grapefruit citrus has some sourness. Mango, apricot, pineapple fruit, touch of green apple. Little bitterness through the finish, no brightness, just a steamroller. Not a fetus but not over the hill either, taking it at face value and it’s tiresome. (Canned 1/13/20)

3.06/5  rDev -24.8%

I should've known by its name this beer was not for me. I love Stone Ruination, and I often drink Stone IPA. But I'm at a loss of words in my attempt to describe this unfiltered IPA pretender. While I've never had the famous Heady Topper, I recently had a few NEIPAs in NY. And, sadly, each one was a fruity, low IBU count disaster. This beer has a 60 IBU count, but I can't taste it. So like all other NEIPAs, I simply don't consider 'The Fear of Moving Lions' an IPA.

4.26/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a bottle -murky and turbid , tangerine color with white head leaving fractured lacing. Nose is over ripe tropical fruit. Taste tones down the fruit with a bit of a bitter bite. Quite delicious.

4.03/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Purchased in a Stone IPA variety case from Costco. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle packaged on 12/20/19 into a tulip. Appearance is slightly hazy orange with a very thin head & slight lacing. Aroma is faint and not what I normally expect from Stone beers. I have to concentrate to pick up on the pineapple & lemon notes.

Taste, while muted, is fruity & refreshing and predominately pineapple, lemon, & orange with very little bitterness. Mouthfeel is moderately syrupy but not to the extent that it is a problem. Full disclosure, NEIPA is not my preferred beer style so my expectations were not high for this beer. Thankfully, I found it to be closer to a West Coast style just slightly lacking the bitterness. Overall, I like these and will enjoy the remaining 5 bottles.

4.64/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I’m glad I had this beer. Actually I started to have my worries about Stone going mainstream (maybe without a real reason? Sorry Stone, you’ve always been one of my favorite breweries and you still are...)
Anyway, the first sip into the beer proved me wrong. Absolutely wrong. It took me back to the realm of great beers that I like so much, to a time when having an exceptional beer was an outstanding experience. Now, when you are much better off than many years ago, you kind of take great beers for granted - and that just sets the stakes high. But when you drink something like this, you are back to your old self once again and you are overjoyed for that outburst of hops, that aroma and that flavor you used to be so impressed by back in the day.
Ps. you call it a NEIPA here but they only labeled it as an unfiltered Double IPA - and I support the latter. I didn’t think it has any New England in there, to me it was “just” a West Coast (Double) IPA - but what an IPA!
Let me get some correction here, for the sake of this great beer, for what it deserves.

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a 16 oz. can. Slightly hazy amber, big white fluffy head; Full-bodied IPA smell; Smooth mouthfeel, but not inadequately carbonated; Interesting flavor- It's hoppy but not bitter and there's something special there I can't identify, a special flavor, sour-sweet. This beer is full bodied and pretty good. I don't see it becoming a regular but I wouldn;t turn it down

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very nice crisp product from Stone. The aroma was nice but could have been more prominent. Served in a chilled mug. The chilled mug brought out the crispness nicely. I expected a much harder bite with this beer, but it was somewhat less than expected. Overall, I like the beer. I had the beer with broiled chicken dinner. It was a perfest compliment with chicken dinner.

4.31/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This New-England Style IPA is an unfiltered Double IPA with a whopping 8.5% ABV. The thing that blew me away was it comes in a 6 pack of pint cans! It normally sells for 14 bucks, but I found it for a modest 10.99 in December around the holidays.

Look-It looks like unfiltered orange blossom honey with a slightly off-white foamy thick head that settles to half a finger. The lacing is thick and sticky. Right after pouring it, you can see a swarm of effervescent carbonation as it settles.

Smell-It smells like freshly cut Hawaiian pineapple, floral petals, dank hops, buckwheat honey, mango, and pine.

Taste-It tastes of dank hops and rose petals. I get the robust sweetness from the malts which taste like caramel and buckwheat honey. I get a strong citrus flavor which is akin to clementine and grapefruit with some pith at the end. I get a bubblegum which must be from the yeast and/or the
Loral hops. There is a slight spicy pepperiness that floats high above the dank and citrus hops. It finishes with a hop resin and some well-balanced sweetness. The mouthfeel is on the strong side of medium-bodied and leaves a chewy and sticky consistency.

Overall-This is a robust beer that has a lot of unique flavors, due in no small part to the presence of the rarely seen Loral hops. The strong flavors and well-balanced profile yields a burst of hops and a subtle nuance in each sip. Serve chilled and don’t forget the ABV is high which leads to a jovial demeanor. Cheers!

Copper and filtered with no carbonation and four fingers of off white head.

Smells like pineapple, ripe mango, floral essence, pine, and dankness.

The taste follows the nose but is much more intense with lots of fruity sweetness and caramel notes.

Medium syrupy a body with little carbonation.

I got this in Sacramento yesterday and I’m drinking it January 1, 2020.

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

Bright orange with a tall off-white head.

Smells strongly of hops. Strong grapefruit scent. Smells sweet and bitter.

Starts out sweet and savory. Strong taste of grapefruit and that is about it.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall another hop bomb from Stone.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Probably the worst name for any of the stone beers. Bunch of nonsense. What's with the nasty amount of trub at the bottom of the bottle? I understand some sediment is expected but this is an unpleasant amount of sludge. When the beer is decanted it pours a mildly hazy dark orange. When not decanted it looks like someone threw a bunch of crap in my beer from my yard maybe... Smells slightly sweet with that citrus and mango kind of thing that mosaic does. Tastes of mosaic hops and the 8.5%abv which actually works with the bitterness level pretty well. I'll pass on this in favor of stone ipa.

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Canned date 11/12/19

Appearance - Pours somewhat hazy and golden orange in color with an off-white, finger width head. Fair retention before dialing back to a thin, broken layer of suds. Decent amount of lacing, with some webbing, lines and small spotting.

Smell - Sweet, fruity aroma with peach and mango being prominent.

Taste - Very sweet upfront and holds firmly. Peach rings and mango. Peppery spice comes through shortly after. White bread sweetness. Grapefruit comes through near the finish, then pith in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with fair carbonation. Soft, slightly creamy texture before a warming, slightly dry finish.

Overall - It's good, but hard to drink more than a bit at a time due to the sweetness. Only bought one can, but I doubt I would want to drink more than this one on any given day.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Look: Pours a relatively translucent albeit semi hazy golden yellow, with a fair amount of very fine particulate floating around in the glass. Two finger eggshell hued, craggy head of foam with bubbles of various sizes speckling the surface. A fair amount of lacing on the glass.

Aroma: Somewhat subdued and tired. Spicy yellow grapefruit. I'm struggling to pick up anything besides that. Maybe some vague biscuityness, but it's hard to discern.

Stone's website rather proudly states " The aroma on this beer is insane " - which I'm sorry but it isn't, the aroma is rather dull - I essentially have to stick my nose in the liquid to get anything.

Taste: Peppery. Semi-sweet. Boozy. Brief pineapple puree upfront. . . quickly transitions into spicy lemon peel. A smidge of orange sorbet and caramel malt on the tail end, some notes of sugar cookies. Long, honey like aftertaste. Very malty for the style.

Feel: Dry. Hot. Moderate carbonation. Thick. Borderline syrupy.

Overall: At first sip, it was a little insipid. It isn't terrible, but if I tasted this blind, aside from the heat, I would have never guessed it was an imperial as the flavors could just as easily have passed for a basic NEIPA. Not sure why this had to be an imperial or why they opted for such a big alcohol bill on this one - this could have worked really well at a lower ABV, even if only by a few % points.

A glance at Stone's website reveals this was brewed with mosaic hops, of which I could detect hardly any. Funnily enough they also suggest the flavor is reminiscent of strawberry, white sage and grapes??? Not really picking up anything like that here.

As a pretty major aside, Stone needs to stop with all the marketing fluff on the back of the bottle. I want to know about the beer. . . not read a bunch of BS quite frankly. . . what type of hops were used, when it was bottled. . . this is relevant information, giving me a life story of how you came up with the name for the beer is not.

4.11/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16 ounce can in a tulip glass. Fresh until 2/6/20, so we're good.

Cloudy electric orange colored brew with a 2F white cap. The cap slowly settles to a heavy film and leaves sticky soapy lacing.

Lots of variety in the nose: There are tropical and stone fruits, citrus berry, and the trademark Stone onion. Mango, peach, lemon, sugar.

Flavors of pineapple, lemon, a touch of grapefruit, mango, and caramel sweet malt.

There's body here, medium plus. More resinous and light syrup than juice. Hops linger and overcome the malt sweetness. Clean.

Different and much better than a NEIPA. A beer, not a glass of juice, thankfully.

2.64/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

CAN: 16 fl oz pull tab. Enjoy by: 01/24/20.

APPEARANCE: Healthy off-white head that retains well despite the somewhat high ABV. Orange-copper body colour. Appears filtered, actually (despite not having been per the brewers/label). Appears well-carbonated.

Fails to stand out in the style.

AROMA: Mellow tropical fruit is emphasized, eschewing the traditional aggressive bitterness the imperial IPA style is known for. Guava, maybe tangerine, resin, passionfruit, floral aromatics. Grape. Clean herbal aromatics. Candied citrus.

Fails to evoke Mosaic, lacking its signature subtle blueberry.

Pale malts/2-row sweetness.

TASTE & TEXTURE: Coating, somewhat soft, smooth, wet. Gets a bit warm on the finish, but otherwise alcohol is in check. Well-carbonated though not perfectly/ideally so. Medium to full-bodied.

Warm citrus peel. Pale malt sweetness...probably crystal malt as well (there's something in here - maybe even caramalt - that is injecting too much unnecessary raw sweetness for an imperial IPA). Floral hop flavour. Melon. Resin.

Hop profile is underwhelming for an imperial IPA, lacking adequate depth of hop flavour and hop pungency. It has some scraping bitterness and aggressive resin, but apart from some comparatively mellow floral hop flavour it just comes on far too strong and brings too little in terms of actual hop flavour. Not piney, juicy, overtly citrusy, berry-redolent, grassy, herbaceous, grapefruity, etc...more subdued and narrow in its hop profile. Certainly doesn't showcase Mosaic well...lacks any subtle blueberry whatsoever, instead clinging to vague candied tropical fruit. Boozy pineapple. Some white grape.

Aggressive, which is the opposite of what unfiltered IPA fans seem to want, yet it lacks utmost depth, pungency, and diversity of hop flavour (which is what fans of imperial IPAs seem to want). Seems like the worst of both worlds for a hybridized unfiltered imperial IPA, and that it wastes Mosaic makes that even harder to swallow.

Its warm almost scraping mouthfeel doesn't do its flavour any favors...there's not a natural harmony of taste and texture here.

OVERALL: Another underwhelming loud hoppy ale from Stone, long a brewery plagued by overly aggressive beers that are more marketing talk than execution walk. Not a beer I'd recommend to friends or family...the hop profile here just isn't anything special, nevermind its minor textural issues. And balance? Forget about it.

Side note - their website claims this has a flavour of "white sage" - not sure what their marketing team was smoking when they threw that on there.

C- / BELOW AVERAGE

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice West Coast double IPA. Poured from a can into a tulip glass. Beautiful foamy head atop a golden yellow fairly clear body, excellent lacing. Fragrant citrus smell and taste. Nice pineapple and tangerine flavors. Nice finishing bitterness. Like old times!

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Opened 16 oz. can, dated 11/7/19, today is 11/16 so it is fresh. Nice strong hops aroma. Appearance - it doesn't look like a New England IPA - it's too clear, although they say it's unfiltered. Taste is delicious , well rounded malt and hop bitterness balance. Mouth feel - it's not soft enough for a New England IPA.

Overall, this is one delicious double IPA, and I will seek out more. It's just that I think its mischaracterized as a New England IPA. So what! It's outstanding.

///Fear.Movie.Lions from Stone Brewing