Stone 02.02.02 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing

Stone  02.02.02  Vertical  Epic  AleStone  02.02.02  Vertical  Epic  Ale

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Witbier

A new Vertical Epic will be released every year, with the goal being to collect them all and have a Vertical Epic tasting once the final Epic is released on 12/12/12. Each new Stone Vertical Epic Ale will be release one YEAR, one MONTH and one DAY apart. Vertical Epic 02/02/02 was not brewed "to style". Instead, we tried to create something new. It's triple-ish in nature, with wit character, coriander and orange peel, and has way more hops than either a Belgian triple or a Wit would. Belgian yeast was used. Belgian Strong Ale is the closest category that fits -- Greg Koch, Stone Brewing CEO. In addition, we are pleased to provide the homebrewing recipe: http://stonebrew.com/timeline/020202

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 04-22-2002

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

4.22/5  rDev +16.9%

Huge thanks to Jerz for hosting an awesome tasting, and for so many generous beer connoisseurs who made the event possible.

Broke this one out of the cellar for Jerz's tasting. A few notes before getting to my review:

1.)This was in my fridge until late 2008, at which point I finally had to get rid of my extra large beer fridge. At that point, it went to a cellar temp of 50ish degrees.

2.)A lot of people at the tasting, me included, kind of expected it to be bad. I was dreading it, actually. I mean, it's an Imperial Wit? How could it still be good? And, frankly, I don't care much for wits (although I don't know if I've ever tried an IMPERIAL Wit before). This was pretty much about The Tick(tm).

In any event, here we go:

Pours a light yellow good. Some white bubbling. I was pretty happy that the somewhat rusted/discolored cap kept the carbonation in.

Smells faintly of spicy yeast, with a large citrus (ripe oranges and mandarin oranges) presence. A bit of honey/honesuckle to the nose. A very pleasant aroma. I must admit, with a bunch of sours and heavy -bal aged stouts on the table, this was an interesting change of pace.

The taste was surprisingly strong. I don't think of wits being a really flavorful style beer, so this was quite surprising ... especially given its advanced age. Melon, honeysuckle/honey, a really, really surprisingly strong orange background with a bit, just a bit, of peach skin zest ... maybe a splash of creamed vanilla. A bit of spice to it, but unlike EVERY OTHER STONE VERTICAL EPIC SINCE 2006, it doesn't assault you with a blistering over-powering tornado of spices that ruin whatever else the beer is trying to do.

Nice refreshing mouthfeel.

I suppose the other reviews will let me know if I'm overly biased, but this was a really pleasant surprise. Stone's old brewer maybe knew what the f*** he was doing after all. This and VE06 have been the only vertical epics I have unreserved praise for. I can't believe how light, yet flavorful, this was after nearly 10 years.

4.15/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%

This beer pours a clear golden yellow color, with a thick, fluffy off white head, with a slight yellow tint to it. The head fades slowly, leaving many laces.

This beer has a yeasty aroma. This is the dominate aroma. Behind that, I get some spicy aromas. Mostly cloves and coriander. It has a very slight citrus aroma. All the aromas are very mild. That is to be expected with age.

This beer tastes much like it smells. As with the aroma, the flavor is very mild. It has an earthy yeast flavor. Some spices back that up. It has a slight fruity flavor as well.

This beer is carbonated well, but I had it on tap, and I would assume that the bottle would be considerable less carbonated. It goes down smooth, leaving a yeasty aftertaste.

I think that if the beer was ever available at all, it might be a decent session beer. It is not too terrably high in alcohol.

Overall: Wow, I can not believe that Stones was releasing this beer on tap today. It was part of their Winter Storm. It was in one 5 gallon keg, with only 4 oz tasters available. You could buy more than one taster at a time. I am happy to have now had every Vertical Epic to date.

4.02/5  rDev +11.4%

Sampled 1 year and 6 months after it was first launched.

If you’ve had the Stone VE03, then the bottle for the VE02 has the same design, bar the circle of numbers below the word Stone, which is comprised of 02’s rather than 03’s.

Pours with a clear dark blond-to-golden look with hints of amber and real-gold when back-lit. Not much of a head at first, large bubbles initially coagulate to form a large bubble mass above the gold liquid. When swirled, the inherent carbonation almost struggles to come out solution, and though they form a lovely golden soda-like mass – they do little to support the head.

Very strong nose, and highly reminiscent of a strong Belgium Tripel. Herbs, a yeasty spiciness and a definitive strong hint of coriander breaks through, it’s almost as if the lack of a thick solid head, and the gaps between the large bubbles, allows the aroma’s to just ooze out of solution. Deeply inhaled – I could be sat outside of a Café in Brussels.

Strong spicy malts fanfare the Tripel-like entrance, the tastes build with an acetic citric-bite mixed with coriander and some grain malts that captivates the middle of the beer. Tangy with raw orange and lemon zest, as well as a light grain but soft bitterness, the ending has a memorable Tripel like perfume-like wheat-zesty twist. An astringent finish with a citric bitterness that is reasonably smooth and crisp. Leaves a soft delicate warming feel in the stomach that reminds you of the beers strength.

Spicy alcohols are assertive in the mouthfeel, but not at all overpowering, but they do let you know who is Boss. Leaves a smooth spicy lemon zest coating on the cheeks & in the mouth when swallowed. Crisp.

I had a Bomber of this, but I am not so sure that I could drink another one to be honest (as if I would ever get the chance!!!). A strong beer, the high alcohol does not detract or hinder its drinkability, neither does it complexity, but it still has some raw edges that do.

A complex beer that I can only describe as a Tripel mixed 80/20 with a zest-biting Wheat beer, that tries to take the edge of off the ‘rawness’ of the former, but fails. The VE02 is the first of the Stone Verticals, & it is undoubtedly already a very rare beer. But I am not sure if it will survive the journey to the 12th December 2012 for the ‘12on12 Stone Vertical Tasting’ to be perfectly honest. I bet the VE03 will though, I’m glad I have a case of that one at least.

What better way to celebrate my First Anniversary today on BeerAdvocate.com.

3.99/5  rDev +10.5%

3.9/5  rDev +8%

I was fortunate to try this last night at an epic tasting held by my good friend Mike, thanks for the opportunity MrBarleywine!
The first in the series pours a slightly hazy deep golden color with an almost non existent off white head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is sweet with caramel and light tropical fruit with a lightly spicy bready yeasty bite to provide a bit of balance. The flavor is sweet like the aroma promised. Sugary and caramel malts with a faded but present spicy peppery yeast bite. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet spicy mouthfeel. This held up better than I expected, but its also a stretch to call this a wit I guess. It has lots of sherry oxidized notes, but it drank pretty good. Probably past its prime, but holding up just the same.

3.9/5  rDev +8%

3.84/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev +6.1%

Finally getting around to my Vertical Epic tasting that was supposed to happen New Years Eve last year. Avery clear golden amber ale crowned with a white head that quickly fades to a light covering. No lace. Little carbonation.

Nose is quite good for a twelve year old beer of this abv. Honey and Belgian yeast.

Taste is wonderful. The spices and orange held up nicely. Great hoppiness that brings out the citrus

smooth feel with firm carbonation, nice weight.

superb

Stone Epic Festival 12-12-12
Stone Brewing Co.
Escondido, CA

(Aged for 10 years)

Cloudy, hazy, murky orange and gold with just the tiniest hint of a white head. Leaves the glass nearly clean but slightly oily.

The aroma has held up incredibly well for the age. Citrus notes along with bits of apple and banana combine with a very mild yeast character.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, with notes of lemon combining with green apple (in a good way), apple skin, mild yeast, and wheat. Very few signs of aging, which is surprising, because most other beers this day were decidedly dulled and older-tasting than their once-fresh former selves.

Medium bodied with low-moderate carbonation.

One of the highlights of the festival. Quite a remarkable test of time.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Oooh, this was almost something special. I don't know what is missing but something is. The flavour is wonderful but then it dissipates into something watery. Even at 7.5 %. I am not enough of an expert to know why but you don't have to be an expert to know when something is in your mouth, only to have it all fall apart.
Not a bad drink to have, but at its current cost, I will probably skip it.

Stone 02.02.02 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing