Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2007 | Stone Brewing

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2007Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2007

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Barleywine

Added by Wildman on 01-25-2007

3.92/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance:
The beer pours with little head but displays some above average retention regardless of substance. There is some patchy lacing down the glass as you work through the brew. The color is a slightly dark copper with a fair amount of murky haze.

Smell:
The alcohol presence here is a real nose burner. It is offset by some mild caramel sweetness and crisp citrus hop character but it's hard to tame an 11+ percent ABV beast like this.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
As I was drinking this cold I was finding it slightly caustic, simply too much alcohol presence but as the brew warmed I find the flavors to really develop. The warmer this gets the more the astringent alcohol burn fades to make way for a mild caramel sweetness, some citrus rind, and a fruit punch note in the fore. Drink this one warm for sure. The mouthfeel is still predominantly bitter and stinging but as far as 11% beers go this one is dangerously smooth and flavorful. I wish I had another bottle to cellar but alas I don't.

Drinkability:
It really isn't drinkable despite how impressive it is. I can't see myself drinking many of these especially considering that it comes in bombers. Watch out, this beer will put you on your ass.

Bottom Line:
My last 11+ ABV beer was Weyerbacher Eleven and when I had that I knew it was pretty bad but now I really know why. Stone has done a really good job here where it seems many have failed.

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Orange in color and hazy. Not too much head. Dense, white head that fades quickly.

S - the smell hit me before I was even looking for it. Kinda fruity and hoppy. Not a boozy smell. Bigger smell than other beers I've had, but it's not offensive or too over powering.

T - lots of citrus hop taste. Bitterness is strong but balanced and not offensive.

M - can feel the alcohol warm you after the sip. Taste lingers some and keeps you from drinking too fast. Probably a good thing. Bitterness really sits on your tongue. Some carbonation can be felt in the sip. The bitterness comes out as you burp it. Not exactly a 'wine' like quality like in the style name may suggest. It's a medium/light body.

D - Good to have another, but I don't want a lot at one sitting. I'm glad I have another in the fridge, but it will be enjoyed a later date.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a light amber, not much head, some lacing. Virtually no carbonation in glass.

Gotta take a big whiff to get the citrusii wine smell. Good once you get it.

Stone hops, barley wine. Can taste the alcohol. Not bad ABV, strong and tasty.

Kinda syrupy. Smooth, but maybe a little thick.

Overall a very nice brew. Maybe not something I would have a lot of due to ABV, but a good changeup. I think this BW is defined by the Stone Hops.

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Dug this out of the back of the California cellar [modified refrigerator]

Decided that two years might be enough?

Pours a little head that very quickly dies no lace and no foam at all.

aroma, mostly malt some spices.

taste wow still has a big hop wallop!

great stuff, this could probably still have waited for a year or more....

but it tastes good now if you like a bite, and i do.

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

Coppery amber beauty with a two finger head that after about 15 minutes fades to a ring around the top with some willowy clouds in the middle. The smell is not incredibly descriptive, but good nontheless. Raisiny and sweet, and doesn't attempt to hide it's high ABV. The taste is a sheer knockout. Hot with alcohol, and similar to my favorite dessert, creme brulee and Disaronno. Nice hop presence, high for the style, but it's Stone. Besides, that's nothing a little time in the ol' cellar won't tone down. My mouth was delighted by this heavenly brew, as it is as smooth as can be. Drinkability is marred only by the massive alcohol content. Not for use with the lawn mower. Extraordinary.

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%

Tried to drink a whole 2 liter growler myself(I didn't finish lol)

(A) pours a reddish orange copper body with a nice tan head

(S) a little bit of alcohol left, but mostly sweet fruits and earthiness

(T) some alcohol but most of it had worn off over the past 3 years(I drank this in 2010). Sweet, apricot with a little bit of citrus

(M) very malty, but obviously it"s a barelywine. Exactly the kind of mouthfeel you would want in a barelywine.

(D) very drinkable considering its 11.27%. It was very smooth and 3 years aged on it really brought this brew together.

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%

22 oz. bottle poured into a la fin du monde glass.

appearance: amber with peach hues, high clarity and a thick foamy white head that quickly dies down, however leaves fine lacing.

Smell: Smells very sweet and a little fruity. Molasses, cherry, pecan, peach, pear and various other aromas. Needless to say, this beer has a very complex aroma and the aging has certainly changed it.

Taste: Obviously the first sensation is that of sweetness with raw sugar flavors that are akin to sugar cane. A little bit of plum as wel l and some other fruity flavors. This beer is still damn bitter and hoppy after all of this dame and tastes well... like a beer from stone. Strong bitterness in the middle and lingering as well that leaves you wanting more. Seriously dries the mouth out with not just the a/c but also the bitterness.

Overall: Biggest baddest barleywine of them all. Stone doesn't mess around and this beer is another testament to that fact. Even after over a year of aging this beer is still aggressive and bold. Will it mellow out over time... you be the judge if you have a bottle of this sit on it.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured a rich auburn/copper colour. Effervescent head, that looked slightly banana yellow in colour. In fact, the head and beer colouring made me think I was about to bite into a caramel-banana candy! Head fizzled away, and left a little lacing

Malt, Caramel, Hops, Sweetness associated with a fruit of some kind. And ever present Alcohol.

Tastes of Malt, hints of Vanilla, Caramel, and then a little bit of Hops in the back. The ever present alcohol is there all the time!

Medium to heavy mouthfeel. Drinkability....one and done baby, one and done!!!

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Picked up a Bev Mo in Oceanside, CA-doubt if I can get it up here

Appearance-Pours a dark brownish orange with thick head. Citrus Hops and malt hit you during the pour.

Smell-Citrus Orange hoppiness with a slightly sweet hint of malt.

Taste-Not as bitter as I thought it would be-good balance between malt and hops.

Mouthfeel-Heavy, dense mouthfeel.

Drinkability-For me this beer is one that I cold have several pints of-becasue there is an excellent balance of hops and malt-this balance keeps my taste buds from being overwhelmed.

This is a tasty, hoppy Barley Wine. It pours clear, reddish amber with a thin, frothy head with fine bubbles, leaving a nice lace behind as you consume. It smells malty and sweet with fruity overtones - maybe pear? and of course you can smell the alcohol at 11.26%. Initial flavor is stong hops and malt with the scales tipped a little toward hops. The expected alcohol bite gives way to a long lived sweet, hoppy and malty aftertaste. It has a full bodied mouthfeel which is slightly oily to syruppy and a dry finish. I will definitely purchase again next year. It makes a great dessert beer. Consider pairing it with a sampling of dessert cheeses.

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pretty copper orange color--completely clear, no cloudiness at all. Slowly rising bubbles make for a moderately thick, bubbly head. Smell is sweet and alcoholic. The alcohol doesn't come out in the taste, though. Big on malt and enough hops to balance it. Big flavor stood up well to the rich and spicy food and sauces I paired with it. The alcohol is listed at 11.26% and even if it's not overwhelming in the flavor it certainly has its effect on the brain. Definitely a good, high-quality brew.

4.41/5  rDev +6.8%

Finally cracked this early-2007 bottle of OG in mid-late 2008. Served up in my fave tulip.

Colour is very orange, faily hazy, and with little head, though it's possible to whip up a fair bit of foam with a flick of the wrist on the stem.

Smell is exactly what I was hoping for. Tons of caramel and mellowed out citrus - that syrupy sweet that only year-old or older hops will give you. Bready and yeasty, toasty, too. There's no other way to put it - this is a nicely aged barleywine.

Taste is light as air at first, then melts into a malt-bomb of sweet and sour. Yeast really comes forward, almost tasting old world in origin. Each subsequent sip, the booze comes out a little more, but it brings even more floral notes out. Alphas join the party as it warms in the mouth. Finish is . . . unbuttered popcorn??

What can I say - I love it, because this beer was exactly what I hoped for. The ladies and gents at Stone really hit on a formula that ages well, and shows great merit from that time in the cellar years before most would. I would almost hesitate to say this is near it's peak - I wouldn't wait more than another 6 months!

4.02/5  rDev -2.7%

My first year of Old Guardian(since I was only 21 at it's release), but my 2nd bottle. This one I aged since the "Limited Early 2007 release"(making it the 1st bottle that I have opened since I started to age bottles). If my memory serves me correctly very little has changed since then (guess I shouldn't have wimped out and waited until the release of the '08 Old Guardian). Maybe a little less hop presence, but that could be imagined or my forgetfullness. The important thing is that the beer has not been spoiled which was the key to this experiment in aging.

Pours a dark rusty amber. Small head, but good carbonation. Lacing is slight around the edges. Drank a little lower than room temperature.

The aroma is malty with a slight hop presence. The alcohol aroma is definitely still there. Hard to explain why exactly I enjoy the smell so much. It triggers some memory that makes me love the smell. Something about it reminds me of pepper or peppermint. As it warms the alcohol aroma does move to the front.

First taste is of sweetness in the malt backed up by a hot alcohol and a grapefruity finish. Still is enjoyable.

Full bodied with a light, but not absent carbonation.

Drinkability is questionable. This beer is definitely a sipper. You can keep the bomber for yourself, but sipping this with a friend would probably be best. I will definitely get future releases and might pick up another bottle of this if I can find it.

Wish I had aged a case so that I could see how this beer ages in 6- month intervals. Recently saw another few bottles of this at a beer distributor near me. I might pick up another bottle and save it for fall '08.
This beer can be enjoyed at its release or anytime after. Don't feel you have to age your bottle of this. I just feel it would be interesting and potentially better if it is aged to attempt knocking back the alcohol presence in the nose and taste.

2.78/5  rDev -32.7%

A: Clear red color with dense lasing.

S: Boozy, sweet, malty with decent hop hints.

T: Strong booze taste to it with some malt and citrus flavor.

M: Light with a strong alcohol taste that takes over.

D: Is decent but will not go out of my way to get another one.

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

A- pours a clear ruby amber color, vigourous carbonation rising up from the bottom of my manchester united pint glass with a big creamy head that both retains well and laces nicely

S- smells of sweet malts and big grapefruit citrusy hop aroma

T- complements the smell, sweet rich malt at first, followed by a big tasty grapefruit ish hop bitterness at the finish

M- full thick body with good carbonation

D- said it before and ill say it again, a good barley wine should not be that drinkable, definitely worth picking up though

3.87/5  rDev -6.3%

A - Dark orange color, crystal clear, white fluffy head that dissipated fast. Nice lacing.

S - Dark fruits, caramel, with a strong fruity/citrusy hops aroma.

T - Piney hops flavor, none of the complexity from the nose comes through. Hot alcohol flavor...may be too young.

M - Medium body, sticky, but tongue-numbingly bitter. I would imagine this will age well.

D - In a year or two, this will be an excellent beer. Now, it's a little too much for me.

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

Apearance - Pours a hazy orangeish amber with a 3 finger off white head, medium retention and some decent lacing.

Nose- Dark caramel and stone fruits with citrus hops still present in a smaller way.

Palate- Hops are still there, but a shadow of there former orange/grapefruit selves. Caramel and toasted malt along with some butterscotch. Alcoholic warming seems to have re-emerged.

Mouthfeel- Full bodied, almost sticky. Carbonation is on the low side which is understandable for a 3 year old.

Drinkability- A little rough. I can't say that 3 years is the prime time for this one.

Overall- I think this might be in a lull. The beauty of the hops has faded, but the malt is yet to shine.

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big billowy light tan/off white head atop a copper/orange crystal clear brew.

Toasty, roasty, bready, grainy, and caramel notes, alongside dried apricots, orange peels, citrus leaves and alcohol. Faint spices.

Taste is very well balanced. Flavor is representative of the aroma. Starts off rich and fruity and moves slowly toward a slightly dry slightly spicy finish, still not overly dry.

Body is medium full to full, doesn't seem to be too much point in aging this one. I only bought two and might open the other fairly soon. Interesting interplay of flavors with a very old stilton. Onion and roasted garlic cheddar paired well too, but nothing novel happened.

4.02/5  rDev -2.7%

22oz bottle

Pours a clear amber color with a sizable off white head that recedes slowly while leaving behind a wash of slow to catch the glass lacing. The aroma is sweetly malty, alcoholic, and still quite hoppy after nearly a year. The alcohol still comes through big in the taste, as does the grapefruit character of the hops. Oddly, I actually remember this being more about the malt just 6 months ago. Perhaps it's just me, but it still seems very raw. It has definitely changed a bit, but I'm not sure it's been for the better. I'll make a note here to remember not to touch another for at least a year. This beer seems like it will last forever.

4.16/5  rDev +0.7%

22oz poured into snifter per suggestion. Thanks to flexabull for another blind bif beer.

A: slightly hazy amber brown with a finger of dense white head that is very slow to subside. 3.5

S: Wow, intense caramel, raisins. Slight hops, apples, coconut and lemon rind. This smells oreo cookie sweet. After letting this sit, there's a bit of alcohol and mint as well. From the smell alone, I'm going to like this beer. 5

T: A bit of hop bitterness, then strong sweet caramel malts. Slightly smoky, slightly peaty flavors and smells with the first sip. barley malts, a bit of lemon, pear, and tannins at the end 4.0

M: medum-full body. slightly hot, finishes with lingering bitterness and heat. 3.5

O: This seems nicely developed. The flavors aren't harsh but I believe it still has room for improvement. Alcohol heat detracts from the overall enjoyability but the fantastic smell makes up for most of its shortcomings. 4.0

amber/copper colored beer with minimal lacing. nice slight swirling head, and just enough light is trapped to create a faint glow. take a deep whiff and you'll burn some nose hair -- lots of alcohol. underneath the alcohol are smells of fruit (apricot) and hops, along with sweet malts. taste is much more toward the light/fruity end of the spectrum than i was expecting, especially from Stone. flavors of light fruit and nuts mingle with sweet pale malts, some toasted flavors, significant hops, and plenty of noticeable alcohol burn. despite the unmasked alcohol, this is a very enjoyable sipper.

i was pleasantly surprised by this, probably because i was expecting something unbearably unrefined (i.e. imperialdoublebastardwine).

3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

appearance: poured a hazy amber with a slight orange hue with an off white 1 inch head. the head fully lasted and left virtually no lacing.

smell: light scent of wet straw, moderately piney with a hint of grapefruit. I picked up a bit of sulfur with a light touch of alcohol.

taste and mouthfeel: medium body, soft carbonation, and watery. Starts off slightly sweet and malty, somewhere in the medium I got an astringent bite and very bitter and sour milk aftertaste that was long lasting.

drinkability: tough brew for a faint tongue. Personally I enjoy sipping barleywine, but Stone was a tab rough around the edges.

Overall, I purchased several bottles to keep in my cellar. I'll wait six months, than a year to try this brew again. I'm sure the flavors will shine through like the previous years. Enjoy

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2007 from Stone Brewing