Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle Peppers | Stone Brewing

Stone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle PeppersStone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle Peppers
3.78/5
Very Good
Stone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle PeppersStone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle Peppers

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Smoked Beer

In 2006, Chris Carroll, a longtime member of Team Stone, took that adage literally, proposing that we produce a one-off version of our venerable Stone Smoked Porter made spicy from the addition of chipotle peppers. We gave it a shot and found that those smoked jalapeños melded quite naturally with the smoldery peat-smoked malt that gives the beer its flavor and moniker, creating a deep, roasty quaff with a carefully restrained tingle of tasteful capsaicin heat in the finish. The marriage of ingredients was so nice that it has become an annual summertime staple, released each May in honor of Carroll’s initial idea that Stone Smoked Porter w/Chipotle Peppers serve as an artisanal alternative to the industrialized adjunct-laden cerveza billed as the perfect fluid accompaniment to the sunny season. Cheers to variety and a quality alternative to mediocrity.

Added by Westsidethreat on 05-07-2007

Ratings: 1,284 |  Reviews: 326

1.18/5  rDev -68.8%

A - dark coffee with a white, slightly tanned, two finger head that stuck around.

S - sour, off-hay like.

T - the taste began with a water nose. I tasted nothing else but water. This was followed by a burning sensation in the my throat. No spice, just burn. The burn was something similar to swallowing pepper spray. The finish was dirty and pestered my palate for quite some time. As Ralph from The Simpsons said, "It tastes like burning".

M - far too watery for an acceptable Porter .

D - I think I've made my point.

1.2/5  rDev -68.3%

1.25/5  rDev -66.9%

1.5/5  rDev -60.3%

1.5/5  rDev -60.3%

1.63/5  rDev -56.9%

Pint at Naja's Place

One of the worst beers I have had this summer

The whole spicy and dark beer thing just does not work

Got to really be in the mood or just have an odd taste preference to like this one

It tastes normal, then all of sudden there is a sour acidic taste like a jalapeno or something

Blah

Even the bartender said it was bad, but I tried it anyways

Stay away by all means

1.75/5  rDev -53.7%

2.25/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Color- Chestnut brown. Full head.

Aroma- very smokey.

Taste- far too smokey with a tiny hint of pepper on the back end. The smoke overwhelms this brew. I'd rename this one in German (since Rauch or smoke beers generally originate from Germany) "Rauchbeir mit ein bischen Chilipfeffer" instead of Stone's label. Surprisingly subpar for Stone, especially considering the standard Smoked Porter is less smokey and better balanced than this variant. I'm a Stone fan and even toured the Stone brewery last time I was in San Diego. So my rating does not reflect a bias against Stone. I'm just disappointed in this specific brew.

Poured from 650 ml bomber into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted on 5/31/2014.

Stone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle Peppers from Stone Brewing