Stone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle Peppers | Stone Brewing

Stone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle PeppersStone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle Peppers

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Smoked Beer

In 2006, Chris Carroll, a longtime member of Team Stone, took that adage literally, proposing that we produce a one-off version of our venerable Stone Smoked Porter made spicy from the addition of chipotle peppers. We gave it a shot and found that those smoked jalapeños melded quite naturally with the smoldery peat-smoked malt that gives the beer its flavor and moniker, creating a deep, roasty quaff with a carefully restrained tingle of tasteful capsaicin heat in the finish. The marriage of ingredients was so nice that it has become an annual summertime staple, released each May in honor of Carroll’s initial idea that Stone Smoked Porter w/Chipotle Peppers serve as an artisanal alternative to the industrialized adjunct-laden cerveza billed as the perfect fluid accompaniment to the sunny season. Cheers to variety and a quality alternative to mediocrity.

Added by Westsidethreat on 05-07-2007

Ratings: 1,284 |  Reviews: 326

3.25/5  rDev -14%

4.5/5  rDev +19%

3.12/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I was really excited to see this as I love the chipotle flavor from peppers and love porters. So a match made in heaven, right? Not so much.

The smell was pretty decent with some smoke and dark malts but not overwhelming with the chipotle. Good touch and right amount.

The taste starts off ok with some smoke and roasted malts. Unfortunately this is where this beer goes off the tracks for me. The swallow and finish made me cringe. It rated like drinking a campfire and simultaneously licking the top of a cajun pepper bottle.

The mouthfeel was thin and dry but I had the bad lingering effects of the liquid campfire in my mouth after each sip.

Honestly, I probably won't get this beer again. Not that it was poorly crafted, rather I did not find it refreshing and the with the heat on the back of your tongue, it just felt plain weird.

2.31/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I love Stone beers. I have loved the Smoked Porter from the first time I tasted it.
I love hot peppers, so putting things together, I was hoping for a great taste.

Sorry to say, but the chipotle flavor in my mind took away from this porter. I still believe the porter would be better without this pepper flavor. In fact, I found that the pepper almost diluted d the impact of the porter. The original porter was a good mouthful, this left a lot to be desired..

I think I would have enjoyed this more, if they used a hotter pepper, perhaps a harbenero

3.58/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours cola brown, maybe a touch darker with a small, dirty, off white head. Retention is average and the lacing is spotty.

Lightly smoked malt that has bready and caramel sweetness. The smokiness is ashy and rather raw with notes of deeper chocolate and some herbal/piney hops. Lacks any chipote or pepper aroma, perhaps that's a good thing or it's being masked by the pungency of the smoked malt.

Caramel malt, bready with some raw cocoa sweetness. Smoked malt is a bit disjointed, coming out after most of the malt sweetness has run its course, charcoal and somewhat woody. The pepper in the beer comes out with moderate heat in the finish, very warming in the back of the throat with no flavors of chipotle or pepper. Hops are piney and herbal, bitterness is cut by the heat.

Easy to drink body, with muted carbonation. Spicy chipote is felt in the back of the throat, moderate kick, masking alcohol and bitterness. I could see this being too hot for some.

Oddly disjointed yet it has bright spots, this beer hits you in parts, sweet malt, smoked malt, hops and chipotle. I was hoping for a more integrated spicy smokey BBQ effect. The chili pepper flavors which I often don't enjoy (typically when serrano or ancho chilies are used) are completely masked by the hops and the capsaicin in turn masks the bitterness and alcohol. Malt is rather clean despite the fact there is little to no drying effect.

3.33/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of this to use for cooking/marinading, but of course I took a sample as well.

Dark brown pour into a glass measuring cup (lol). Even a slow pour produced a pretty substantial head, off-white, simmering down to a patchy foam. Aroma of bready malts, smoke, some vegetal notes from the chipotle. Pretty much what you'd expect. In the taste, roasty dark malts, toasted bread, smoke, charred wood, slight dry heat from the peppers in the finish. [Interestingly, when I used this beer for a caramelized portobello reduction, the spice came out significantly.] This was a medium bodied beer, fairly good for the style, even if it's a style I'm not a big fan of. There's no way I'd be able to drink a bomber of this myself, and even for one small glass, I'd really have to be in the mood.

Stone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle Peppers from Stone Brewing