Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle Peppers | Stone Brewing

Stone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle PeppersStone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle Peppers
3.78/5
Very Good
Stone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle PeppersStone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle Peppers

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Smoked Beer

In 2006, Chris Carroll, a longtime member of Team Stone, took that adage literally, proposing that we produce a one-off version of our venerable Stone Smoked Porter made spicy from the addition of chipotle peppers. We gave it a shot and found that those smoked jalapeños melded quite naturally with the smoldery peat-smoked malt that gives the beer its flavor and moniker, creating a deep, roasty quaff with a carefully restrained tingle of tasteful capsaicin heat in the finish. The marriage of ingredients was so nice that it has become an annual summertime staple, released each May in honor of Carroll’s initial idea that Stone Smoked Porter w/Chipotle Peppers serve as an artisanal alternative to the industrialized adjunct-laden cerveza billed as the perfect fluid accompaniment to the sunny season. Cheers to variety and a quality alternative to mediocrity.

Added by Westsidethreat on 05-07-2007

Ratings: 1,284 |  Reviews: 326

3.25/5  rDev -14%

3.64/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- Dark brown with a three finger light tan head

S- Smoky, some chipotle peppers, some bitter chocolate, some roasted malts.

T- Really smoky, some roasted peppers, a small amount of heat from the peppers, roasted malts, some pine.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- Really just a smoked beer with hints of heat from the peppers. I am happy that I was able to try this. I am not sure I would buy this again to drink, but would like to try to cooking with it.

3.63/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance is dark amber with an off white head.
Smell is roasted and chocolatey.
In the taste, roasted malt, acrid and hop bitterness, with a small pepper element that provides a slight spice but more of a warming element.
Medium bodied, well carbonated brew with a Chipolte flavor, as well as building heat.

3.63/5  rDev -4%

Pours very dark reddish brown with a thin tan head.

Smells like a porter, roasted grain, acrid

Tastes start like a traditional porter but a warmth from the peppers kicks in near the end. The smokiness takes a back seat to the peppers. The pepper heat lingers after a taste.

Medium bodied and medium carbonation, pretty easy drinking.

Overall, decent smoked porter, the peppers tend to get a little overbearing by the end of a 22oz bottle.

3.72/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

$9.99 bomber. Enjoy by date of ?/03/14, presumably scratched off because it's past the date, but even if it is, it's only May 1st... the number that was there looks like a 3, so maybe enjoy by 3/03/14? Poured into a shaker pint. I'm a bit confused, because the Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter I got from the same store three months ago was $7. The store had a 20% of bombers sale for this week, so I paid $8, but still...

Appearance: Perfectly clear ruby black color with about two fingers of an off-white, soapy head. Lots of lacing. Great looking beer -- just as I recall the Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter looking like (yes, I'll be comparing this beer to that one a decent bit).

Smell: I've had a few chipotle infused beers and smoked porters, and this one smells as I remember those ones. Smokey beef jerky sort of quality because of the smoked malts, a bit of roasted chipotle, and a slight Band-Aid sort of aroma that I always seem to pick up on in smoked porters.

Taste/feel: First thought is that this is likely the spiciest pepper infused beer I've had, or close to it. It's not overwhelmingly spicy, but there's a split second of heat in the back of the throat. It's not a very appetizing comparison, but I liken it to when you get a bit of acid reflux. I don't get it on my tongue at first, just the very back of my throat, for some reason. As I continue to drink it, the warmth spreads and I can feel it everywhere, though it's still a fairly mild, maybe moderate for most people, heat... and I like spicy food. I'm a bit surprised that I've heard/read some reviewers say they want MORE spice. Maybe I got a spicier batch? The recipe changed a bit? I don't know, but mine's perfectly hot. The flavor is like the smell for the most part. It's quite nice, but a bit lacking. Woody flavor, jerky, smoke, deep roasted malt, heat from the chipotle (but almost no real flavor from it)... it's just good, not great. The mouth feel is very good, as it has a medium sort of creaminess to it with a moderate carbonation that accentuates the chipotle heat a little bit more.

I'm surprised I like this one so much less than the Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter -- I guess the vanilla just added a lot more depth for me. This beer has a beautiful pour and great mouthfeel, but that's about where it ends. The taste of this one just isn't quite doing it for me. I don't mind the level of heat, but I wish Stone would tone back on it to focus a bit more on some roasted characteristics or something along those lines -- maybe a chocolate sort of flavor. Like I said, I can definitely get the similarities of this beer with Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter with the beer's base, but I guess the chipotle just doesn't add as much to the base as the vanilla bean did for me.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%