Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle Peppers | Stone Brewing

Stone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle PeppersStone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle Peppers
3.78/5
Very Good
Stone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle PeppersStone Smoked Porter W/Chipotle Peppers

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Smoked Beer

In 2006, Chris Carroll, a longtime member of Team Stone, took that adage literally, proposing that we produce a one-off version of our venerable Stone Smoked Porter made spicy from the addition of chipotle peppers. We gave it a shot and found that those smoked jalapeños melded quite naturally with the smoldery peat-smoked malt that gives the beer its flavor and moniker, creating a deep, roasty quaff with a carefully restrained tingle of tasteful capsaicin heat in the finish. The marriage of ingredients was so nice that it has become an annual summertime staple, released each May in honor of Carroll’s initial idea that Stone Smoked Porter w/Chipotle Peppers serve as an artisanal alternative to the industrialized adjunct-laden cerveza billed as the perfect fluid accompaniment to the sunny season. Cheers to variety and a quality alternative to mediocrity.

Added by Westsidethreat on 05-07-2007

firstprev| 1226-1250 | 1251-1275 | 1276-1300  | next → last
Ratings: 1,284 |  Reviews: 326
3.91/5  rDev +3.4%

On cask at Naja's Place in Redondo Beach, CA.

Appearance: Pours with a 2-finger burnt marshmallow color head which is quite impressive - a very slight blue tinge to the head, also, oddly. Lacing is milky and full-sheeted, but settles into calligraphic stuff that lasts well of 10 minutes. One of the better heads and lacing presentations I've ever seen, no doubt partially, at least, due to the hand pumped cask pour. Body is a solid shade of black, no more, no less. Very nice for the head and lacing, in particular.

Smell: Chipotles dominate, unsurprisingly - a smokey, roasted, slightly sweet smell. Medium-bodied coffee lingers underneath, but the chipotles seem to have wiped any semblance of chocolate from the aroma. A little one-note.

Taste: Chipotles are much more subtle here, thankfully. Medium-bodied coffee, bittersweet and dark chocolates, some alcohol. Chipotles are on the back end through the capsaicin - and like other reviewers have said, this is a spicy one. I'm pretty good with spicy foods, so I wasn't too phased, but it definitely, especially around half-way through the pint, begins to coat your mouth in a mild burn. Additionally, every time I swallowed, the back of my throat got a warm sensation. Really would probably be too much for more than one pint an hour or so, especially if you have a sensitive stomach. Anyway, I personally enjoyed the sensation, and the chipotle flavors melded surprisingly well with the chocolate and coffee flavors, similar to those Mexican chile powder-covered candies you can buy, almost.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, hot on the back end from the chipotles more than the alcohol. Didn't detect any astringency at all. Was perhaps a little less carbonated than I'm used to, but given this is probably my second cask beer ever, I think that's the reason.

Drinkability: Needs to be sipped if for no other reason because of the heat factor, but otherwise "yummy." Very drinkable.

4.33/5  rDev +14.6%

On cask at Naja's Place in Redondo Beach, CA,

A: Pours a thick, murky black out of the cask, with a thick off-white/tan head, I can see what the nitro-can guys are going for now.

S: Heavy smell of chipotle peppers, very nice and fragrant, earthy, with some dark malt and smoke.

T: This is definitely a chile beer, the chipotle peppers carry the show. At first taste you get the porter and BBQ sauce, and then the fruity, earthy, almost herbal taste of peppers and heat come into the picture. I've had Rogue's Chipotle Beer, and this one is much spicier. The flavours mix really well together though, they complement each other quite well, I can't begin to imagine how well this would go with Mexican mole sauce.

M: Smooth, creamy, very spicy, capsaicin cowards be warned, this beer packs a punch, though a little on the thin side.

D: My first beer ever on cask, and I really enjoyed it. Served at about 55-60 degrees, I'm estimating, the temperature really brought out the flavours of the beer. A very interesting beer, I think it's even better than the original Stone Smoked Porter, a nice addition to the Stone lineup.

1.63/5  rDev -56.9%

Pint at Naja's Place

One of the worst beers I have had this summer

The whole spicy and dark beer thing just does not work

Got to really be in the mood or just have an odd taste preference to like this one

It tastes normal, then all of sudden there is a sour acidic taste like a jalapeno or something

Blah

Even the bartender said it was bad, but I tried it anyways

Stay away by all means

3.7/5  rDev -2.1%

Sampled from a 1 L growler 24 hours after being filled, May 2007
Still very well carbonated, it pours with an almost three-finger thick, frothy, pale brown colored head that sits atop a brilliantly clear, very dark brownish amber colored brew that you can just see through if you hold it up to a bright light. Quite malty smelling with notes of toasted malt, chocolate, browned biscuits, crusty-browned French bread and blackened raisins. I don’t really notice the chipotlé peppers in the nose at all.

There is a medium full thickness to this brew. Lightly phenolic with notes of woody smoke and perhaps a wisp of burnt plastic. I don’t really get the chipotle aspect; there is something that is almost plastic-like, perhaps leaning towards hot, but I am not sure this is very spicy at all. On the other hand I know that this was subtle, I am a chilé head and I know that chilé beers that are noticeable to others have only been subtle to my taste buds. I like the mix of burnt flavors, smoke and dark fruit notes here. Flavors of toasted malt, burnt grain, roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate

Ok, there is something here in the finish which I would attribute to the chipotle chilés, but without knowing about it a priori, I would never have guessed there was something different about this beer.

Stone, the next time you make this you need to put in a lot more chipotlé peppers, this could work really well if properly spiced. I have added ½ a dried chipotlé at bottling time to each 22oz bottle of smoked porter and that is definitely way too much, but something like a ratio of 1/16th to 1/8th of a chipotle per 22oz bottle would probably be nicely spicy. In the end, I did notice, if you drink a lot more other beers, you can finally taste the chipotle flavors and not unconsciously think that you got ripped off by the Stone guys ;-)

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

after years of drinking stone i finally made my way to their brewery (that wonderful, wonderful place). after the tour they were doing the normal sampling of their pale, smoked porter, ipa, and arrogant bastard. unfortunately the smoked porter with chipotle peppers was not available in anything but growlers, but i convinced them to let me try it! go me!

a - exactly the same as any above average porter. murky with a nice head and some lace.

s - i smelt something different about this, but i can't really say if it was zesty, or if it even had a chipotle smell. i didn't really detect it if it was there.

t - the chipotle taste is seriously so minimal this isn't even worth a glass. why? take stone's smoked porter and strip it of the best aspects and that's what this tastes like. it's still good, but it's not what i wanted.

m - definately not as full bodied as their smoked porter. this winds up being a fairly lighter brew. if anyone knows what causes this to be the case i'd love to know. i'm guessing it has to do with the higher acidity of the peppers, but i'm guessing i'm wrong.

d - definately not going to be the next thing i go out and try to get a hold of, but if you live in san diego it's definately worth a try.

3.86/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

have been pretty curious about this beer for a while. really like the "regular" smoked porter. better with chipotles??

starts with the same great appearance. looks like a big beer. black with some ruby red streaks when held to light. nice big tan head. good retention and lacing.

aroma takes a hit. not much smoke, and little of the chipotle presence. its there, but you've got to look for it.

taste also a notch down. doesnt have quite the sweet chocolate as usual, and what it gains in chipotle heat is subtle. not that that is necessarily a bad thing. i mean i dont want to have a water chaser cause my porter is burning my mouth.

so, chipotle good? yes
better? i dont think so.

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

1L growler filled at Stone. Interesting idea - will it work?

Yes, it does. But, I still think I prefer the regular smoked porter. Aroma is very much your standard smoked porter, but has a hint of spice to it. Taste is much the same - the wonderful roasted characteristics of the smoked porter, but coupled with just a bit of spiciness at the end. The chipotle is definitely in the background, but it is back there. Adds an interesting complexity to the beer - although, like I said above, the regular smoked porter is a touch better.

Recommended, but not quite as good as I was hoping.

A- Black body with creamy tan head on it. Lacing covers whole top of beer and sticks to side also. When held to light some brown and deep amber hues to it.
S- Smokey aroma with some chipotle spice. Hints of grassy hops, and coffee.
T- Big malt flavors with smoke and some spice to come in and cut back on the big smokey flavor. Some grass hops comes through also with a light bitterness and it helps to balance it out a bit.
M- Full body with low carbonation. Light silky feel to it.
D- I think it is good just in proportion. I think a 1L growler of this is the most I would be able to drink.

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

On tap at Stone World Bistro

A: Quite a dark and murky brew. Deep chocolate brown with a lot of body to it. Head is medium sized, dark toasted marshmallow.

S: Roasted barley, campfire, chocolate candy and graham.

T: Begins gently smoky with an overall attractiveness to it. Bay leaf, cold smoke and peach pit are some of the flavors that come to mind. Chipotle is present but controlled. A small burn can be found on the back part of the tongue but is totally lost within the food.

M: Medium body with a fuzziness to it.

D: Go big or go home and Stone knows this. I would like to see this beer with four times the chipotle presence it has now. This beer was good but I wanted to go toe to toe with a Stone Chipotle beer. The chipotle was too light and was completely lost within the sausages I had for dinner.

firstprev| 1226-1250 | 1251-1275 | 1276-1300  | next → last