Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

Added by taez555 on 06-19-2007

Liked:
3.77/5
Alströms:
3.2

3.77/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I know this will be much better in a few years, but I'm reviewing it now, so I'm giving it a lower rating than I will at some future date.

This beer has a great rich orange/gold color and a slightly offwhite head that has good structure at first but falls fairly quickly for this slow sipper.

When you first pour it, it wafts clean fruity and spicy saison notes. Put your nose to the glass and everything intensifies going from mouthwatering to mindnumbing. The initial aroma had set me up for something lighter than Stone. But we would all be disappointed if Stone really served us up a light bodied beer. There is a lot of spice and fruit to this.

The taste is just a lot of punching and kicking, scratching and biting and screaming between your malty fruits your bitter hops and your spices. Right now everything is shouting so loud it is difficult to care. But give this party a few years and there will be perfect harmony. You can tell this beer has talent.

Overall: Seems very similar to the 444 sans lime leaves. I think the 444 was perfect though. Thanks to oodeftone for making sure I got one of these. I was able to get some more to age.

3.77/5  rDev 0%

Part of an '07, '08, '09 vertical

A - Cloudy orange with bright yellow highlights. Very thin head with thick legs.

S - I couldn't stop sniffing this beer. The primary aromas are dark fruits, mainly rum raisin and plums, possibly from crystal malt. Some biscuity malt in the background.

T - Delicious melody of fruits, with slight acidity similar to white wine. Seems at first it will end heavy but is surprisingly crisp. Barely detectable hop presence.

M/D - Finishes sticky and dry. Drinkable enough that it makes me want to gulp it, but it is worth appreciation.

3.76/5  rDev -0.3%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Brouwers on 12/12/12. Review from notes.

A: 7/7/7 was a golden orange with a small white foamy head that lasted longer than most of the other VEs. Again, minimal lacing.

S: Lots of ginger, lavender and cardamom as well as a surprising amount of citrus.

T: Lots of citrus rind, orange, ginger, lavender, and flowers/grass.

M: Medium bodied with low to medium carbonation.

O: Liked it, didn't love it, but was impressed by how well this one held up. Held up significantly better than any of the older VEs.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Review #100 for me and my first Stone epic...cool.

Porus either a bright gold or a pale copper depending on your perspective. Good clarity and a some bubbling action. Less than an inch of off-white head that recedes fairly quickly, leaving a thin and splotchy lace and really no stick on the sides of the glass. Was expecting better head and retention.

Smell is dominated by citrusy lemon zest and spice. There's definitely ginger in there and who knows what other spices, although some of that spice is hops, as well as some yeast and alcohol.

Taste is pretty much the same as the smell. Lemon, ginger and spice are all there and there is a subtle malt sweetness present, as well. Finishes dry with a a bit of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium- to full-bodied and has a crisp carbonation.

I like the flavor but it gets to be a bit much by the time the bomber is through. I haven't had other epics to compare this to, and sadly I didn't buy another bottle to see how it ages, but I enjoyed this one here and now.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing