Stone Smoked Porter W/Vanilla Bean | Stone Brewing

Stone Smoked Porter W/Vanilla BeanStone Smoked Porter W/Vanilla Bean

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Smoked Beer

In 2006, almost exactly 10 years after we first released Stone Smoked Porter, Stone Small Batch Brewer Laura Ulrich had a brilliant idea: What if she added whole Madagascar vanilla beans to a small batch of the finished beer? And voilà, Stone Smoked Porter w/Vanilla Bean was born! It was an instant hit, as the resulting flavor combinations—rich vanilla melding with the malty, chocolaty, coffee-like characteristics of the beer—were practically made for each other. Originally available only as an occasional growler fill or on tap all-too-briefly at special events or in our restaurant, this exquisite creation was released in a single bottle run for the first time in 2012, much to the delight of its many fans…who instantly began clamoring for more.

Added by MiScusi on 08-31-2007

Liked:
3.88/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,359 |  Reviews: 537
2.1/5  rDev -45.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Pours a beautiful dark mahogany with a very healthy off-white head. Unfortunately the rest of the beer just doesn’t do it for me, which is so disappointing because I love Stone’s original Smoked Porter. The vanilla just does not blend well with the malts in terms of aroma and flavor. The addition of vanilla is more harsh than smooth and sweet, and just plain tastes bad. Perhaps it will be worth a revisit one day, as I can’t quite figure out what happened with what sounds like such a promising (and highly rated) beer.

2.16/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Shared a bottle among four friends using wine glasses. Not well received by anyone in the group. The overwhelming smell of burnt popcorn pervaded the nose. The vanilla was almost non-existent in nose or while tasting. Mouthfeel was almost watery. This beer was not what I expected from Stone. I purchased two bottles, but had to bring the second back and ask for an exchange.

2.25/5  rDev -42%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Too much vanilla. Tastes like root beer.

2.26/5  rDev -41.8%

I honestly can say that this beer is on my "avoid" list.I recently tried clown shoes ganghis pecan.With all that roasted and smoked characters it really gave the beers a taste that my pallet just won't forgive.To each their own.But for this guy I have to give it a fail.

2.33/5  rDev -39.9%

Color is a dark cola color with a sudsy white lace.
The aroma smells like a dry vanilla coke. The vanilla is very dominant.
The smoked malt flavors come out some more here in taste, the vanilla is still very strong and playing lead role. Cola flavors, i really can't get past thinking of cola here.
The mouthfeel is semi sticky, low to moderate carbonation, medium body.

Not really digging this. I don't think the smoked malt base is ideal for the vanilla addition, maybe if there was more chocolate malts and this had a bigger body that could be great, but as it is now the vanilla is too much.

Love,
Chad

2.4/5  rDev -38.1%

Served into a snifter.

A very black liquid sits in my glass with a fingers worth of tan head. Slight roast on the nose with very sweet vanilla. Sounded tasty when I ordered it. Mouth was kinda thin for me and not a lot of carbonation. I like vanilla, love it in fact but this tasted like cheap vanilla extract dumped into my beer. It was flat out gross. I can't get around the awful cheap taste and aftertaste in my mouth. I had to dock points for that. Another swing and a miss from Stone for me.

2.44/5  rDev -37.1%

12 oz bottle. Pours a dark cola brown with a small tan that has head decent retention and leaves lots of small spots of lacing on the glass. The aroma is vanilla. Lots of sweet vanilla and a bit of coffee and cocoa. The initial taste is sweet with a lot of vanilla, a bit of coffee, a little bit of chocolate, and more vanilla. Finish has lingering vanilla. Medium body. Low carbonation. Vanilla just overpowers everything here and comes off as way too sweet. Disappointing.

2.47/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

let me start by defending myself, this seems to be getting a pretty high rating for what I felt it should have...Stone is in my top 5 breweries which is hard to get in/ stay in for a guy that has had over 600 different beers in the past few years, stone is consistently solid and I still love them, this is probably the least favorite offering I've ever had from them, I love their normal smoked porter and I have liked most vanilla flavored stouts/porters I've tried maybe the two just don't mix, at least not for me.
A:thin bodied like a porter should be but still very dark crimson brown almost black, with a thin off white head.
S:best quality of this beer, the vanilla is by far in the fore front with hints of smokiness but something smells burnt, like the malts perhaps or maybe just the combo of the vanilla and smoke, reminds me a little of Linenkugels snowdrift vanilla porter, which I hated (no surprise from Linnies).
T: not expecting this is just...too much. I love when a beer is what it says it is but this is just too much for me, the flavor and the aroma are flip flopped, the vanilla is not as pronounced and the smoke comes out more, the WORST aspect of this beer is the aftertaste, YUCK! Icky ick yuck yucky yish! make it go away!
o.a. not good, sorry stone. still love ya, you're still in my top five, but beerlover don't likey this one. drain poured the last half, almost blasphemy for stone.

2.62/5  rDev -32.5%

The smoke flavor was very overpowering. I just don't see the allure of this beer. I normally really like darker beers but the overwhelming smoke flavor made this very hard to drink.

2.64/5  rDev -32%

Served in a Delirium Tremens tulip.

A: Looks like a dark, roasty porter, with a very bubbly, frothy, and vicious mocha head that clung to the glass on the way down and then some.

S: Didn't care much for the smell on this one. One of the danger of adding a dessert element to a base beer with a very smokey smell (or flavor) is that is come off (to me) like melted plastic.

T: The taste wasn't any better. It had sort of a stomach acid quality mixed in with the plastic as well, which kill all the smokiness of the original while leaving the bitterness intact.

M: Yeah, pretty bitter and most unpleasant taste-wise, but I still like the thick, snot-like texture here and the ridiculous lacing that was left behind.

O: This one sounded great on paper, but the result left far more to be desired.

2.7/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle poured into a glass

A - Dark brown color with hints of light brown on the bottoms and edges. Has a frothy one finger head that settles down and leaves some nice lacing

S - Smoky cedar, roasted malt, light chocolate and coffee with a slight hint of the vanilla beans. The smoky scent dominates as you don't get as much vanilla as I'd hope for

T - Smoky and roasted malt up front. On the middle, there is a cream soda flavor that is what the vanilla provides here. The finish is more smokiness. The cream soda like flavor is good but doesnt meld well with the rest of the beer. The beer is also too thin for the flavors to stand up.

MF - Really thin and watery. Really wish this had a bit more heft to it as I'd feel it'd add to the flavors.

O - it's okay but really a disappointment from what I was expecting. The vanilla doesn't add much, the flavors are muted, and the body is really thin. Was hoping for more from Stone

2.7/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

22oz bottle from Lucky's (Woodstock, GA). 5.99. Enjoy by 3/4/14. Served in my Phish snifter.

Pours dark tea brown with a finger and a half of cream hued froth. Nice head retention and lacing galore.

Aroma seems a bit muted but carries nice notes of vanilla with some faint musty smoke.

Flavors of bold vanilla, smoked malt, caramel and bitter coffee. I really like the vanilla but there is some overreaching bitterness it's just a little too much.

Thin body with fair carbonation. Bitter burnt malt and vanilla finish.

Overall fair but this is far from Stone's best work in my opinion. The vanilla was the only thing that kept me drinking it.

2.7/5  rDev -30.4%

Portland Holiday Ale Festival 08.

Interesting beer, I really really liked the concept. The smell was nice, but then when drinking it was very much of two competing flavors in my mouth. Not the good kind. Too much vanilla, and did not hold me with an sort of balance.

Stone Smoked Porter W/Vanilla Bean from Stone Brewing