Stone Smoked Porter W/Vanilla Bean | Stone Brewing

Stone Smoked Porter W/Vanilla BeanStone Smoked Porter W/Vanilla Bean

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Smoked Beer

In 2006, almost exactly 10 years after we first released Stone Smoked Porter, Stone Small Batch Brewer Laura Ulrich had a brilliant idea: What if she added whole Madagascar vanilla beans to a small batch of the finished beer? And voilà, Stone Smoked Porter w/Vanilla Bean was born! It was an instant hit, as the resulting flavor combinations—rich vanilla melding with the malty, chocolaty, coffee-like characteristics of the beer—were practically made for each other. Originally available only as an occasional growler fill or on tap all-too-briefly at special events or in our restaurant, this exquisite creation was released in a single bottle run for the first time in 2012, much to the delight of its many fans…who instantly began clamoring for more.

Added by MiScusi on 08-31-2007

Liked:
3.88/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,359 |  Reviews: 537

4.5/5  rDev +16%

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

2.47/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

let me start by defending myself, this seems to be getting a pretty high rating for what I felt it should have...Stone is in my top 5 breweries which is hard to get in/ stay in for a guy that has had over 600 different beers in the past few years, stone is consistently solid and I still love them, this is probably the least favorite offering I've ever had from them, I love their normal smoked porter and I have liked most vanilla flavored stouts/porters I've tried maybe the two just don't mix, at least not for me.
A:thin bodied like a porter should be but still very dark crimson brown almost black, with a thin off white head.
S:best quality of this beer, the vanilla is by far in the fore front with hints of smokiness but something smells burnt, like the malts perhaps or maybe just the combo of the vanilla and smoke, reminds me a little of Linenkugels snowdrift vanilla porter, which I hated (no surprise from Linnies).
T: not expecting this is just...too much. I love when a beer is what it says it is but this is just too much for me, the flavor and the aroma are flip flopped, the vanilla is not as pronounced and the smoke comes out more, the WORST aspect of this beer is the aftertaste, YUCK! Icky ick yuck yucky yish! make it go away!
o.a. not good, sorry stone. still love ya, you're still in my top five, but beerlover don't likey this one. drain poured the last half, almost blasphemy for stone.

3.74/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Pours up an okay amount of head which has decent retention. The head is a light beige that is almost tawny while the body is a cherry, chocolate brown that shows lots of maroon when held up to the light. Lacing is mostly sheeting.

Nose- Very heavy notes of vanilla. Very rich and creamy. Notes of chocolate and cocoa buried underneath. Hints at toffee and caramel. Oak hangs around the edges and suggests alcohol that isn't there. Swirling makes it smell kind of like a Cadbury egg.

Taste- At the very tip of my tongue, there is licorice. Lots of oak but this also delivers on the promise of vanilla. Lots of woodiness other than the oak but nothing that I can particularly pinpoint. Once again, seems to suggest alcohol but this is the heavy woodiness most exemplified by the oak. Some spiciness- cedar, a little bit of cinnamon? Does warm the tongue a bit so there is probably a little bit of heat but it works well with the overall flavor profile. Oak and heavy woodiness are generally disagreeable to me but are rounded out by the actual existence of vanilla balanced chocolate and roasted notes. This is certainly a beer that is better than the sum of its parts (most of which are quotidian) such that the balance allows me to ignore less than favorite notes. Pretty much a good beer- it does lack a little complexity. However, I can see this being a very polarizing beer. The flavor profile is fairly precise and specific. It does have a certain mellowness about it though. Some chalkiness.

Mouthfeel- Between medium and heavy bodied while being fairly creamy and rich. More carbonation than I want but it's balanced by the smooth texture.

Drinkability- This is fairly easygoing but Stone has so many better bombers for the same price. This is the last one I would buy. Still a good beer. Just not Stone good.

Overall- I enjoyed it but the flavor profile is very specific. I could imagine hating this beer if I had it in the wrong setting after the wrong beers. Definitely worth a try because of its specificity.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours opaque very dark brown with 1/2 inch of eggshell head that settles to a moderate cap on top and leaves heavy spots of lace.

Smell is of burnt wood and faint vanilla up front with a hint of hoppy bitterness on the finish.

Taste starts with charred dark malt and bitter hops followed by hints of dark chocolate and vanilla.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with high carbonation.

I'm not picking up very much vanilla in this one. I'd like for the vanilla flavor to jump out and separate this version from the original smoked porter. Still, a solid enough effort.

Stone Smoked Porter W/Vanilla Bean from Stone Brewing