Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale | Stone Brewing

Added by Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

4.2

Reviews: 1,903 | Ratings: 5,881
4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured a complete black with an impressive 2 finger brown head. While pouring, I initially smelt dark chocolate, but when I put the bottle down and took a whiff of this beautiful liquid in my glass, I was greeted with an extreme flowery hopnose that sent me towards heaven. Taste is solid chocolate with such an extreme hopbite it's out of this world. The hops literally assault and pillage your taste buds. Insane hopbite!!! This brew only gets better as it warms, woody/earthy tones mingle with citrus making this an extremely unbelievable brew. Mouth feel is good as well, drinkability is pretty solid as too. I wouldn't suggest slamming too many of these or you might not taste any thing else for a few days! Hats off to stone for this impressive anniversary brew.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

12 oz. bottle (glad this one is in 4 packs now) into my Bell's pint.

Appearance is black. Black coffe black. Some light barely squeezes through.

Smell is floral and burnt.

Taste is jarring. Smacked with hops. Finishes with a coating bitterness and awesome roastiness.

Mouthfeel is sticky and resinous.

Overall just a great beer. One of my favorites. Stone really nailed a 'style' that can be hit or miss.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured into a pint glass. This one pours dark brown with a creamy cap of beige foam.

The aroma is full of tropical fruit aroma and nice bitter hops. This has a nice roasty char backbone that gives it a nIce dynamic. The pallet has a good tropical/ citrus flavor with a bitter finish. A little bit of a nice char finish.

He body is medium with adequate carbonation. A dry finish here. Overall this is one of the better offerings out there. Real enjoyable.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

I've had a few black ales before but this one is BLACK, maybe just a hint of amber around the edges where the light comes through. Pours with a fluffy three finger head that recedes slowly throughout the glass. The aroma is great, a ton of roasty malt up front with some hops hiding behind it. There's a lot going on in the flavor as well, where the hops take over a little bit more and there is a hint of sweetness as well. Very smooth on the mouthfeel, with a little bite of carb and bitters on the aftertaste. I think this is a great example of the style, and one of the best from Stone

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

Had this on tap at the brewery the day it came out and again repeatedly in the bottle. Its still young enough that theres no noticeable difference between bottle and keg at this point. All I know is that I still have 1 case left, 6 bottles for me and 6 for trade.

Anyway, the beer pours a nice dark brownish color and in the light it has some redness to it. The head is thick and creamy and slightly tan. The beer smells wonderful. Its loaded with tons of simcoe hops, which is one of my new favorites as I'm boycotting cascade until they come down in price. These hops impart some piney smells. Theres also some chocolate and a little fruitiness present.

The taste follows suit. The malt presence is powerful enough to smell just like it tastes. Its half IPA and half brown ale. I'd like to see how the malt/hop balance changes with age but for now its great. Has a nice and heavy body to it with about the right amount of carbonation.

This is a dangerously drinkable beer.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours an unexpectedly black and thick liquid. If I didn't already know what this beer was, I would definitely assume it was a stout by the look of it. It has a bubbly cream-colored head that lasts for a minute or so and settles to a patchy film of head and lace on top of the beer. Nice lacing is left as you drink it down.

Smell: The hops really jump out on this beer. Piney and citrusy smells right up from, with definite grapefruit aromas as well. You can literally smell the malty sweetness even before you take a sip! It's odd to smell a stout-like malt foundation with these kinds of hoppy smells.

Taste: Lots of citrus and pine flavors from the hops hit you right away. Also resiny and sour grapefruit flavors quickly follow from the hops. There is also a slight presence of more tropical fruits. The malt comes in right behind this and is quite sweet and thick and oh so malty! I never expected an IPA to have such a positively manly malt character. This beer is amazing! Never have malt and hops been melded so elegantly and so devastatingly! Serious goodness...I'm glad I bought six bombers of this nectar. Anyway, the end comes in with some moderate earthy flavors and a lingering citrus from the hops. The aftertaste finishes with a wonderful mixture of alcohol, piney/citrusy hops, and a great malty base for all of it.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is lively, but not overpowering for this beer. It's very complimentary actually. The body is quite thick and smooth as well.

Drinkability - This is a heavy-weight brew, no two ways about it. This beer is not for the faint of heart, as has been said of others. The flavors are strong all around and the body is thick and full.

This is one amazing concoction from Stone yet again! A delicious mixture of stout-like maltiness and a juicy and luscious hop character to boot! This is a must-have beer, and I must say I haven't had many like it (if any). Get your hands on one of these babies, if you know what's good for you!

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

A - Nice big off-white almost rootbeer-esque looking head, with great retention; excellent lacing. Is almost black with just some light seeping in around the edges which is very interesting for an IPA. Intriguing. Carbonation looks good, cannot wait to dive in.

S - Wow. This smells just overwhelmingly good. Loaded with hops but there is also a distinct fruitiness there, a bit of citrus and maybe even some pineapple/grapefruit. There is also some sweetness to it that suggest a little malt.

T - Jumping with hops, definitely some malt as well, the fruit is present in therel, floral, citrus, some grapefruit, but the fruit is not overwhelming the palate so much as weaving in and out of the hops in a very subtle manner. Very bitter, very delicious, a little similar to the Ruination IPA. Sticky, piney and wonderful, very different though.

M - Really awesome mouthfeel; by the way it looks you would think it would be thick, perhaps even syrupy given it's black color, but it's not at all, it's very light and the carbonation only adds to this effect pleasantly. I would say medium bodied.

D - Exceedingly drinkable, I could take this down all night.

O - Overall this IPA is very good. Loaded with hops, compulsively drinkable, and sublimely self-righteous. Thank you again Stone.

Poured from a 22.

Pours black like an RIS with a thick 3" offwhite head that sticks around for a minute or two.

Lots of hops in the nose, citrus, citrus citrus, i love it!

Flavor starts out with a citrusy bitterness that coats the mouth, has a nice strong malt backbone behind the hops, finishes a touch to the malty side and leaves the mouth with a light citrus hop coat. medium-light mouthfeel, the only thing I would change.

This is the rebrew of one of my favorite beers ever, 11th anny stone, and it delivers, hits well across the taste buds and leaves you wanting more. Mitch, please please please brew this more than once a year!

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

The pour surprised me at first, because I had not read the full blurb on the back of the silk screened label, and was expecting an IPA. But the last line gave the clue to what this looked like, dark, pitch dark. When held up against the light, some ruby highlights showed up, but otherwise this was pretty much a black beer in terms of look. The head atop seemed small but stable, and was quite light in color, which was in stark contrast to the body. The smell was like a hop field, which pine and grapefruit smells being quite prominent. Underneath them, there was some chocolate lurking there. The taste was quite hoppy indeed, which made me wonder if this was not a year old bottle, but rather a fresh brewed batch for us on the East coast. The spicy, prickly, earthy hoppyness was just as intense as any IPA, however the black patent malt astringency, and some chocolate flavor were unusual, but went surprisingly well with that. The body was more in line with IPA than the looks suggested, and this was very drinkable for me, since I like hoppy beers. Quite a unique combination, but it works.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a dark brown color with a big cocoa colored head.

Smell is HUGE, tons of citrus and piney hops come through as soon as you open the bottle. Exceptional.

Taste is bitter up front, really bitter and piney, with smooth chocolate malts coming through in the finish. Nice

Mouthfeel is thick and resinous, very good.

Overall it is a great beer, I am impressed.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

found this and bought it at first sight.

A: Pours super dark, makes me think of rootbeer.
tan coloroed head with great lacing. so dark it's almost opaque

S: I had a really hard time reconginzing this aroma: (hops with a solid-ass malt backbone
the hops stick around for a bit, too! really this is great.

T: great. think of reeses peanut butter cups: 2 great tastes that taste great together!

M: tons of body. standard carbonation

D: this is pretty heavy. I'd better have antoher!

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Pours a deep dark rich black with a brown head that sticks around minimally throughout. Good lacing as well. Smell is a beautiful mixture of roasty malts and sticky piny hops--this is a combination that I haven't come across yet and its a welcome frontier. Tastes congruent with smell, most flavors are from the hops--bitter, citrusy, a commanding grapefruit character--but there are roasty chocolatey flavors as well. Mouthfeel is thick but not creamy. Drinkability is great.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Wow-- what a beer! I didn't know what to expect, and loved the creative writing on the bottle that led me to believe that it was going to be a "very dark" IPA.

The beer poured beautifully-- looked like a nitro delivered beer. I said "yum" just looking at it.

After taking the first sip I remarked, "now this is a great beer." What makes it that way? First of all, the hops, which I am a huge fan of. Secondly, the combination of coffee and black licorice that dominate, as well.

Drinking this beer is not easy-- heavy and definitely an after-dinner sipper! As the beer warms it becomes smoother and the coffee notes dominate-- I didn't leave a drop in the glass.

I'm a fan of Stone because of their use of hops, and was pleased to see and sample this truly unique, tasty IPA.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

I discovered this beast of a drink randomly poking around my local store. I was unaware of its existence until now, and am 100% happy I found it

A - for what is advertised as just an ale this is a dark, dark beer. pretty much a stout appearance, rocky tan head, so inviting, so pretty

S - an instant smack of hops, it actually took me by surprise, though given Stone's reputation, it definitely shouldn't have. rich dark malt undertones and some alcohol too

T - superb. strong hop kick up front fades (slightly) to let an impressive chocolate malt flavor to take over until the finish, when the hops come back in full force to spice up the strong coffee/chocolate taste. some alcohol flavor is present, complementing very well

M - rich and full bodied, very fine carbonation

D - this was absolutely great to drink. sipped on it over an hour letting the flavors slowly evolve as it warmed. halfway through took on a handful of spicy buffalo wings and the pairing was delectable. dare I say it, this is better than Arrogant Bastard

4.58/5  rDev +9%

22 ounce bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A - Nearly pitch black brew with two full fingers of tan head sits in the snifter. Nice lacing rings are left behind.

S - Great citrus aromas with some grapefruit/orangey aroma floating around. Some tea like aroma is there too.

T -Wow, some bitterness and alcohol meld with the fruit and lead the way over some dark malt flavors. A little bit of chocolate flavor makes a nice, albeit brief appearance. Alcohol is definitely evident into the finish over those fruity tastes. Very interesting.

M - Nice medium/slightly heavy body with just the right carbonation for this unique brew.

D - So one of a kind. I'm loving it and I want more after every sip.

Notes: India Dark Ale???? The bottle states that the brewers kept everybody "in the dark with this IPA" and it really is like a hybrid of a few possible dark beer styles and an IPA. I guess Strong Ale is the only classification that makes sense but this beer has many characteristics of a barleywine, IPA, and even some stout and/or porter like traits. I guarantee some will love this and some will hate it, but everyone who appreciates craft beer should try it. Me, I'm a fan. I'll have to grab some more.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Opaque black. Some interesting yellow highlights at the edges while I sip from my wine glass. 1/2" brown head slowly recedes to a tight crema with good lacing for this ABV.

Hops on the nose. Slightly floral and oily. Vague hint of dark sweet malts, some beef stock and yeast.

Huge hops straight up. Started this glass too cold*. Mainly hop bitterness with some slight floral notes.. As it warms the dark malt sweetness comes through much more, especially on the front. Some more beef stock notes through the middle and bitter and oily hops beat you down at the finish. Lingers dry, bitter and slightly floral.

Light malt feel with medium light cartbonation suit fit the mould.

While I couldnt session this by a long shot, i've given it 5/5 for the experience of the drink. Challenging and rewarding.. I'm slowly coming around to these hugely hopped american styles. Well done again Stone.

*This really needs to be tried at cellar-room temp. 15deg Celcius would not be too warm. Too cold and this is just extremely hoppy, bitter and astringent.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Bomber poured into duvel tulip

A: Pours a nice brown, nearly black in the glass. Nice tan head with decent lacing, this is one of the best things I love about Black IPAs.

S: Roasted malt, citrus and pine

T: Much like the nose, deep malt toastiness with orange citrus that shines, great flavor combination

M: Great body, bitterness not too high, nice creaminess, another thing I love about the black IPA style, and stone doesn't disappoint

Great beer, one of my favorite Black IPAs, definitely the benchmark for the style.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Grabbed this brew in Porter Square, which to me delight has the familiar gargoyle from Stone's 10th Anniversary ale. I poured this beer in to a sniffer glass without really reading the description on the back...in fact I didn't really know anything about this beer, but with Stone I feel like you can bet safely that you are getting quality product when you take a chance on one of their brews. The pour was charcoal black, with no light getting through and a white head. "Stout? fuck no, this is way too hoppy for that" I thought, then decided to check out the label. A black ipa certainly sounds like something interesting to me. Aroma had piney hops, grapefruit, earth, and some rough spices. Beer is chocked full of hops in the flavor, with a nice malt touch in there as well. I also detect a slight hint of rye bread and garlic. Mouthfeel is bordering between medium and heavy for me, although that could be in part because of the fact that the dark coloration of this one makes you think that it is a heavy brew. Easy on the drinkability as well, although I would definitely say that this is one to sip and savor. Kickass offering from Stone right here. They should make this a year round kind of brew. Cheers

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Someone said it best, "looks like used motor oil" lol, but don't let that deter you. The head could use a little help, but everything else is quite delightful.

As with all stone beer, you'll taste some hops, but there is something about this one that merges flavors into something truly special. This is the type of beer you savory as it warms up a bit. It's no wonder they serve it in a brandy snifter type glass. It's the fine cognac of stone's beers, and if you've tried their beer you know they don't mess around.

This beer was not going to be sold to the masses originally, but the employees loved it so much they had to share their passion with everyone. Thank you Stone Brewing, truly a work of art.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

A -- Absolutely beautiful pour. Black beer with a lovely creamish-coffee thick 2 finger head. Nice lacing as well

S -- I tried my best not to read any of the reviews on this nor did I read the back of the bottle. The way this poured I expected a heavy malt, coffee stout. Imagine my surprise when the nose was filled with a hop explosion of pine and citrus.

T -- Incredible. Big ups to Stone for this one. It's like an IPA-Stout hybrid on the palette. Hops kick in right off the bat and continue to scream all the way down but lurking in the background is a fantastic coffee/chocolate malt that leads to an incredible balance. I'm not sure if the malt is as present as I think, as this is rather bitter, or if it's the appearance playing tricks on me.

M -- very heavy with mild carbonation.

D -- With how smoothly this goes down, and sporting an 8.7ABV, this could be trouble.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

A: 2" light tan head with great retention, leaving lots of lacing. Near black body.

S: Strong aroma. Fresh pine and plenty of it. Merry Christmas!

T: Spectacular mix of a piney and citric IPA with a roasty porter. There are loads of hops here, yet the initial hop bite disappears under a rich, roasty malt.

M: Medium bodied (maybe a bit fuller than medium). Soft carbonation. Smooth - as they always are from Stone. Excellent aftertaste.

D: The 8.7% abv is very well hidden under all the flavor. Normally I'd expect to tell you that the alcohol appears as it warms, but I've been through several bottles of this (not all tonight) and I'm now certain no bottle is going to last until it warms. Great stuff!!

4.58/5  rDev +9%

appearance: it's pitch black. the head is nice and tan and thick and leaves nice lacing on the glass. For an Imperial Stout this is awesome.

smell: ok, so this is not an Imperial Stout. it's another stone double IPA that happens to be black. very raw and sticky hops. no hint of malt of any kind like one would expect from the color. Of course if you read the back it tells you it's a black IPA.

taste: very good. Strong IPA front with the same raw and super sticky hops we got in number 10. The bitterness is here but in balance. After all the front end hoppiness we get just a hint of coffee smoothness at the end. Much less than a stout but enough to had a hint of complexity. wow.

mouthfeel: nicely done as usual by stone. runs about medium, probably a bit lighter than an average IPA.

Drinkability: pretty much compels you to take another sip.

4.59/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into teku; black in the glass with a big creamy tan head that sticks around, slowly creeping down and leaving dense, fine lacing as it does.
Smells of lots of hops, bitter earthy and fruity, as well as dark roasted malt, bit of soft grain, chocolate and coffee.
Taste is a perfect dichotomy; it's like an imperial IPA and a robust porter are fighting it out in my mouth. Hop flavors strike first, with earthy bitterness mingling among fruit and citrus rind. Then the dark malts come in, with coffee and dark bitter chocolate balancing the hops perfectly. Aftertaste is sticky hop bitterness with hints of dark malt left over.
Mouthfeel is well-carbonated, medium-bodied.
Overall, another of Stone's boastful beers lives up to its name; a beer this good certainly deserves a good deal of self-righteousness. This is the perfect black IPA/cascadian dark ale/hopped black ale/etc. as I imagine the style in its purest form.

4.59/5  rDev +9.3%

I had to buy this one after a beer and food pairing at BJ's brewpub in A-Town. Of the whole Stone line this one stood alone. Purchased in a deuce-deuce from Libation's in Aurora (I love this place)

A- Deep rich black, somewhat like a good porter. Dense thick off white head, looks like a carbonated stout. Great lacing.

S- Tons of chinook and other high AA% hops with a hint of the carafa III chocolate goodness.

T- I do not know where to begin on this one. It has all of the nice grapefruit and pine hoppy goodness with a small amount of deep roasty stout like chocolate and coffee without the malt bitterness (the hops take care of that). It is so tasty, seriously the most unique and delicious brew I have had from Stone (which is setting the bar pretty high)

M- Light and refreshing with a long and strong finish

D-High, so high. Try it for yourself... please.

4.59/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured black with a very dark brown hue when held to light - a nice tan colored thick frothy head bellows up and hangs around and doesn't want to leave - a beautiful yet devious looking brew - ends up leaving some very thick sticky lacing with each drink. The smell is insane! A nice mixture of piny and tangy hops that mash up with a very welcoming burnt chocolate and vanilla mixture of aromas - the hops do take over here, though. The flavors are as the bottle says "sublime". The piny resinous hop flavor is perfect with a sweet hop bit taking the back seat - the roasted maltiness comes through strong coffee, bitter chocolate, and the slightest hint of smoke coming through. Exceptional. The mouthfeel is damn near full bodied - very creamy and still very well carbonated. A little burn from the booziness but nothing overwhelming. This beer was a real treat - all the cocky text on the back of the bottle, which is typical of Stone, is completely fulfilled in this delicious brew. Glad I had the opportunity to enjoy this.

Cheers!