Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA | Stone Brewing

#934
4.2

Ratings: 5,933 |  Reviews: 1,915
3.91/5  rDev -7.3%

Hmmm... "strong ale", "black ipa", "dark cascadian" or "black ale" ... ???

Doesn't really matter much to me... I'm not a stickler of beer identification, all I know is that this stuff is pretty good.

It reminds me of Sierra Nevada's Torpedo and is a lot alike Stones' bastard ale.

this ale's very malt centric and has a nice dark brown or "Cola" tint to it. The head is thin and there's very little lacing.

The nose is pretty decent; again malt centric, with a good sweet candied, cake like feel. You definitely get a light roasted malt scent. The hop is lurking in the background; not exactly sure how to identify it; I want to say piney/citric; but there's a little floral too. All in all, a delightful nose with a good balance.

The taste is very nice. Not overpowering but not light either. A good medium to heavy flavor that is distinctly lightly roasted malty and candied fruit. When I say candied fruit I mean a nice candied dry fruit; mostly cherry, apricot and orange.

I hate to say this, but I'm going to anyway... the finish on this reminds me of fruit cake, but in a good way. Not the "what you hate" about fruit cake; but the actually "ok there's something good in here" aspect of fruitcake. But the finish also has that classic roasted malt taste. But a light roasted malt... not like a porter or stout.

The hops are there too; just a little hard to pin point. But there is a bitterness and it's very balanced with the sweetness of the malt; making it seem less bitter then what I'm sure it is.

All in all, a very pleasing ale. Not my favorite, but certainly not bad and I don't mind drinking it at all. This ale in my opinion is a great after dinner drink.

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

Bought a 22-oz bottle from Total Wine early last month. Enjoy by date reads 01.14.14. Figured I'd pop this open during the Chargers playoff game. Seemed fitting. Poured into a Dogfish IPA glass for review.

Pours like coca-cola. Dark translucent black with large cola flavored head that lasts a heck of a long time that leaves plenty of suds on the glass sides as it slowly fades. Smells of hoppy goodness: melon and pineapple.

Upfront chocolate malt flavors that evenly gives way to nice soft yet firm bitterness. The dark note characters stick around until the end giving a nice balanced aftertaste. Some hop fruitiness flavors add add'l complexity. And some pine.

Feels about medium. Firm bitterness with good carbonation. Alcohol is well hidden for over 8%.

A very well crafted beer. Although I'm not a particular fan of this style of beer, I'd definitely drink this one again.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%