Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA | Stone Brewing

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

2.5/5  rDev -40.8%

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

So I've been practically stalking the local liquor stores waiting for this beer. I put it mildly I expect perfection and well stone almost can't win me with this one, but we'll give it a shot.

OK first thing is I opened this before it was cold enough so I'm a bit unsure.

Appearance. It's a black IPA. I mean...what more do you expect? It does create an amazing head. Almost too much and it takes it's time falling down.

Smell. As I opened the bottle it INSTANTLY hit me with the smell of hops. I've never had anything with a smell this strong. This defiantly has that grape fruit hop smell which is something I am not a huge fan of. I love hops but I don't care what ever type causes this. I'm already disappointed.

Taste. This beer has me really wondering if maybe the double IPA's have had in the past were just old or something. This is the first time I got a CLEAR feel and taste of the "oily" aspect of hops. In the past I often considered that a result of the malt or the thickness of the beer but this one really show cases it. The first impression was a blend of hops mostly creating that grapefruit flavor but with just barely enough malt backing to cover it up to make it enjoyable for me. For the most part at first I'm pretty much overwhelmed by hops and not much else. After sipping a bit longer I'm starting to find a different flavor coming out in the back ground. It's got a nice smooth base like effect that neutralizes the hops to some degree (almost a stout like flavor but that could just be the black color making me want to think that's what it is). It's definitely growing on me as I drink it but it's definitely not one of my favorite double IPA's if this is even a double. I'll definitely have to set one or two of these back and see if something fun happens to this with age.

Mouthful. Sticky, creamy, smooth. Very nice

Drinkablity. Cold you could probably throw this down with the best of them. Warm and it's a great sipper. They have a nearly perfect mix of the two. Very well done.

This is definately a differnt kind of beer from stone and for that I give them my praise. It's really not my style of an IPA but I can't hold that against them too much.

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep brown color with a full, persistent head. Aroma has a bunch of citrus hoppiness in there along with some nice roastiness that pushes through once you expect the hops. taste is all IPA at first, then a bit more of a dry chocolate malt flavor comes through. The malt sweetness seems to build as you drink, and the hop flavor also becomes more sweet and less bitter. Really an enjoyable beer. Mouthfeel is solid, maybe just a tad heavy for the workout the flavor gives you. Drinkabiity is also very good. Something interesting that I'd like to see more examples of in the future.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

a - poured a three-fingers thick creamy and dense coffee-colored head into a snifter that left thick sheeting and lace with nice coating on the sides of the glass. the body was dark black and impossible to see through.
s - pine, muted citrus tones, with a light chocolate malt underneath that really comes through as it warms.
t - dry and citrusy hops at the beginning with a sweet coffee and chocolatey finish. with each sip you get the hops on the front of the tongue and a roasted malty taste on the back.
m - creamy and smooth.
d - considering stone's big hop presence this just begs to be quaffed. easily drinkable and really goes down smooth.

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Black ale. Off the top of my head i can't think of too many of these.

The brews pretty "clear" in that theres lots of hues that can come through, but its a black body. Big tan head still all over the place. A bit of malt on the scent, but its dominated by a massive hop profile. As Alvey at Four Firkins said when he described it, the beer will mess with your head. Its a hop bomb, but it looks like a malt monster. There are nice sweet malts, but the hop oil is what this is about. Much thinner bodied than a stout/porter. Cool beer, very interesting.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

bomber served in a snifter glass.

pours a translucent cola-brown, sits an opaque almost black... creamy/foamy khaki head demonstrates great retention and lacing. damn respectable presentation.

nose yields an aromatic bouquet of hops - pine, floral, a touch of citrus - with a noted, if subdued, malt character in the background.

flavor profile follows the nose. big hoppy presence with the aforementioned pulling through - notably pine - and a touch of roasted, maybe caramel, malt. moderate to heavy bitter presence that presists through the finish - slightly more so than i'd like, but still very tasty overall. were it not for the color you'd be hard pressed not to mistake this for a DIPA.

medium-bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation. nothing too spectacular on that front. i'm going to pick it up a bit in the drinkability department because ultimately i think this is a really enjoyable brew, though falls short of world class. most do; nothing to be ashamed of.

originally reviewed: 03-11-2011