Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA | Stone Brewing

Alströms:
4.2

Ratings: 5,928 |  Reviews: 1,915
4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

bomber served in a snifter glass.

pours a translucent cola-brown, sits an opaque almost black... creamy/foamy khaki head demonstrates great retention and lacing. damn respectable presentation.

nose yields an aromatic bouquet of hops - pine, floral, a touch of citrus - with a noted, if subdued, malt character in the background.

flavor profile follows the nose. big hoppy presence with the aforementioned pulling through - notably pine - and a touch of roasted, maybe caramel, malt. moderate to heavy bitter presence that presists through the finish - slightly more so than i'd like, but still very tasty overall. were it not for the color you'd be hard pressed not to mistake this for a DIPA.

medium-bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation. nothing too spectacular on that front. i'm going to pick it up a bit in the drinkability department because ultimately i think this is a really enjoyable brew, though falls short of world class. most do; nothing to be ashamed of.

originally reviewed: 03-11-2011

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

So I've been practically stalking the local liquor stores waiting for this beer. I put it mildly I expect perfection and well stone almost can't win me with this one, but we'll give it a shot.

OK first thing is I opened this before it was cold enough so I'm a bit unsure.

Appearance. It's a black IPA. I mean...what more do you expect? It does create an amazing head. Almost too much and it takes it's time falling down.

Smell. As I opened the bottle it INSTANTLY hit me with the smell of hops. I've never had anything with a smell this strong. This defiantly has that grape fruit hop smell which is something I am not a huge fan of. I love hops but I don't care what ever type causes this. I'm already disappointed.

Taste. This beer has me really wondering if maybe the double IPA's have had in the past were just old or something. This is the first time I got a CLEAR feel and taste of the "oily" aspect of hops. In the past I often considered that a result of the malt or the thickness of the beer but this one really show cases it. The first impression was a blend of hops mostly creating that grapefruit flavor but with just barely enough malt backing to cover it up to make it enjoyable for me. For the most part at first I'm pretty much overwhelmed by hops and not much else. After sipping a bit longer I'm starting to find a different flavor coming out in the back ground. It's got a nice smooth base like effect that neutralizes the hops to some degree (almost a stout like flavor but that could just be the black color making me want to think that's what it is). It's definitely growing on me as I drink it but it's definitely not one of my favorite double IPA's if this is even a double. I'll definitely have to set one or two of these back and see if something fun happens to this with age.

Mouthful. Sticky, creamy, smooth. Very nice

Drinkablity. Cold you could probably throw this down with the best of them. Warm and it's a great sipper. They have a nearly perfect mix of the two. Very well done.

This is definately a differnt kind of beer from stone and for that I give them my praise. It's really not my style of an IPA but I can't hold that against them too much.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into my Delirium snifter

Appearance- Very dark brown, a little opaque around the edges. The head appears to be around an inch and dissipates rather slowly.

Smell- The scent of this brews brings the best of both worlds to one glass. At first you're hit with the floral and citrusy aromas of a great IPA, sniff further and you will experience a faint aroma of the toasted malt but it is very hidden.

Taste- The taste of this brew seems to follow suite with the way the scent took place. At first I'm hit by an abundance of flowering hops and citrus notes but underlying these hops lies a bitter and dry, yet satisfying malt flavor along side chocolate and coffee notes. Delicious brew style combinations make for a great tasting Black IPA.

Mouthfeel- Balance is achieved pretty nicely here but given the complexity of this ale, there is a lot going on. Carbonation mixed with the roasted malt tastes is a bit strange but still delicious.

Drinkability- The 22 oz bomber just isn't enough sometimes! Maybe a four pack would suffice. If i was in between meals I could probably tackle the four. Otherwise, sits a bit heavy and is pretty potent so be responsible.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

3.25/5  rDev -23%

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

A= dark chestnut brown to black depending on the lighting, big slushy tan head like a rootbeer float.

S= dry roasted dark malts, nice northwest hops, hint of chocolate and occasional smoke and nut notes at some temperatures, complex.

T= dry, with rich dark roasted malts, light hints of caramel sweetness to balance, very bold. Occasional licorice notes. A bit too dry-bitter for my preferences but not too far overdone.

M= very dry with bitters remaining, some toffee hints and dark malts.

D= probably too strong for session, came in a large 22oz bottle and at 8.7% ABV it's probably going to decrease one's capacity. Also somewhat filling. Dryness might get in the way with some foods, or most foods. Maybe good with anything smoked or grilled.

4.29/5  rDev +1.7%

22 oz bottle split with awebber. Reviewed on my Droid.

Pours pitch black with a thin ring of off white foam. There is good lacing. Aroma is shocking... not what you expect coming fromsuch a dark colored brew. Aroma is very hoppy with grapefruit and citrus overtones.

This tastes just like a hoppy west coast ipa... there is a good amount of malty sweetness but it is still VERY hoppy. It is hard to reconcile the flavor with the color but if I close my eyes I consider this an above average ipa. Mouthfeel is fairly viscous and this beer hides the alcohol very adroitly behind the substantial hoppiness.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

3.8/5  rDev -10%

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Black color with a fingers worth of tan head. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Strong aroma of piney hops with notes of roasted malt.

Taste- I am hit with a bitter pine flavor at first that fades into a roasted malt and chocolate taste. Well balanced.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with a decent amount of prickly carbonation. Dry finish.

Overall- Interesting beer but a little too bitter for my tastes. I still prefer a good stout or porter but this would be my first choice for an IPA (black or otherwise).

3.76/5  rDev -10.9%

On tap at the brewery 07-10-09. Pours a beautiful dark brown with nice tan head. Great looking beer with a really unique aroma dominated with chocolate and orange. Would have love to tasted this blind as the aromas were a bit confusing to the senses. Pretty well balanced with a nice bitter chocolate finish. My notes are also saying that there was a nice woody aroma and touch of dry wood in the taste, though I'm not sure how that came about.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.14/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a nice dark... black. A huge head starts off this brew, nice and tan. Sexy lacing, makes you want to lick it off the glass.

The smell is a mash-up of charred malts and citrus. Hard to pick any one thing out. Hints to a complex taste but not on the most appealing of ways.

Burnt chocolate, coffee and strong grapefruit lead off the taste. A touch of coffee and an almost marijuana herbal taste follows (not surprising being that they are in the same family). I taste a bit of creamy vanilla bean and another hint of citrus in the finish. A touch of booze is noticed as it warms. Goes down well, though a little heavily carbonated.

When I'm in the mood for the style, this would be a, "go to brew". Very nice, one is good for a sitting though.

4.37/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very dark brown with almost no light coming through. Big honkin sand colored head and layers of lacing.

Lots of warm roasted wood, juniper, hefty smokiness, and huge hop aroma to round things out.

Taste dives into rich woody smokiness, deep roasted semi-sweet malts, and a slap of resinous bitterness across the palate. Piney hops come through strong but well balanced. A touch of booze.

Mouthfeel is nearly chewy, warming, pungent and dry.

Another angry one from Stone. Loaded with layers of flavor. Just try it.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA from Stone Brewing