Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA | Stone Brewing

Ratings: 5,925 |  Reviews: 1,914
3.25/5  rDev -22.6%

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Went over to my brother in laws house to drink beer while the women folk conversed about whatever. Talked about football, I bought two craft beers, he bought two, we drank all of it. Awesome. This was one of those beers. Side poured with standard vigor into a pint glass.

Appearance - Of course Stone has cool packaging on their beers. That is a given. Pours a jet black color with a small half finger head that recedes quickly but leaves nice lacing throughout the drink. Not sure if it is a stout, a black ale, or what. I didn't read the package, I just bought it.

Smell - Hops hops and hops. Piney, earthy, really potent. Just what you would expect from a Stone beer. You gotta give them credit, they do what they want to do, and it is always unique. A little smoked malts or barley in there as well. Now I am holding a black beer with strong pine hops notes emanating from it, I'm all confused. A black IPA?

Taste - Just what I thought, the hops were the big dogs on this porch. Bitter, piney hops sweep the palate upon the drink, delicious. The malts make a cameo appearance as well, more so as the brew warms, but there is certainly a powerful hops presence.

Mouthfeel - Bitter finish, just a hint of alcohol, warm going down. Medium bodied and carbonated.

Overall - Once again, an excellent offering from Stone. Just like the last beer I reviewed, I was not sure what to classify it as until I got home and reviewed it. I see here BA has it as an American Black, which is fine. These hybrid beers are wicked good! Hats off to the brewers. Try this beer out ASAP, Condor recommended.

3.71/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

It's difficult to review a style that I don't enjoy. I tend to like Belgian anything (except Lambics and Geuzes), porters and stouts. Although this bottle didn't say "IPA", I suspected that anything coming out of Stone would be very hoppy.

A - It looks like something I'd want to drink - black as night with a 1/2 inch head leaving nice lacing.

T - Then I get a whiff of the hops and pine. It smells like I'm about to drink a Daisy Cutter. (Not that I mind a Daisy Cutter every once in a while, especially is I'm up at Half-Acre.) I don't taste the malt or yeast at the end. Just pine and hops.

M - Medium body. Someone else said "oily" and I'm going to go with that. Is it the pine oil?

O - If I was entertaining an IPA-lover, I would get them this. Usually I do buy Daisy Cutter or Dog Fish Head 90 Minute IPA, but this would be good in the IPA rotation.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%