Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA | Stone Brewing

#917
4.2

Ratings: 5,929 |  Reviews: 1,915
4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

I've been developing quite a liking for Stone Brewing Co, this one's got a cool bottle and is up my alley in terms of style. Served in a mug.

A: Poured a very dark blackish brown color with a thin hazelnut-tannish head with small amounts of lacing.

S: Holy hops, smells very hoppy, flowery, also woody, and malty, fruity too, like plums and dried apples

T: As indicated by the smell, has a strong hop flavor too it, pretty bitter, a very smoky, woody feel to it, very strong malt taste. Can't really pick up on the almost 9% abv.

M: At first its refreshing, has well balanced body with medium carbonation, the way I like it, but then BOOM, hopmania super strong after taste.

O: Overall, Stone never ceases to impress me, this was a very interesting beer, had a nice contrast of mellow, easy going mouth feel paired with the very bitter, strong hop backlash, I liked it, not a bad pick at all.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Not as dark as Wesley Snipes, but a shade or two below. Laced up. My glass remained covered in film as I took sip after sip. Like three year-old unbrushed teeth. Love it.
S: Smells like Stone. What else? A locker full of sweaty briefs meets magic.
T: Tastes like Stone. One of the reasons I enjoy this brewery. In a blind taste test, you could always recognize a Stone brew. At first sip, you get ready for it to knock you on your butt with over-the-top hoppiness, but the ale fools you and comes flanking from the left with a gentle rush of roasted malts. Like when I got flanked from both sides by a couple Brazilians. Gostosa!
M: Aside from the open sores on my lips, which I'm treating at the moment, I felt no pain. Usually my mouth feels dirty, but after rinsing it with this holy water, I feel like a new man. Like when you gargle bleach, or when you go down on a virgin. Same thing. Virgins kill everything. Ask the africans.
O: Well, damn it, this is what matters most right? I hold this beer like I hold my member. It is precious.

3.56/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Deep, dark black with probably one of the best lacings I've ever seen. Super sticky with thick lines of lacing.

S: Malty tropical fruits! Cool, but not really my thing.

T: Follows the nose with a citrusy, super malty taste. Orange peels and milk chocolates.

M: Full and not as thick as it looks! Medium carbonation.

O: I don't think my palate knows what to do with black ales just yet. The tropical notes just don't seem to mesh well with the heavy malt. This is good, but nothing I'd by again. Don't think I can appreciate black ales.

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black in color with brownish hues on the edge of the glass. Poured with a thick beige foam with excellent staying power that left sheets of sticky lacings on the glass. Black patent malt and citrus and resinous pine hop aromas. Medium bodied with a creamy smooth feel. Dark roasted and burnt malt flavors below intense bitter citrus and pine hop flavors. A nice combination of intense flavors with a delicate feel.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.49/5  rDev +6.4%

Serving type: 12-ounce bottle. The “ENJOY BY” date is “12/28/12.”

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is very dark brown leaning toward black. Two fingers of dense, cappuccino-colored head dissipated very slowly.

Smell: Lots of west coast citrus and pine; mostly grapefruit but there is also tangerine and orange. Very invigorating. Dark chocolate and sweet caramel are also present. There are also faint roasted malts and molasses.

Taste: It offers a very strange and tasty flavor experience. At first it seems the hops are about to slam my taste buds. But just about the time I expect them to become overwhelming, they are balanced by the dark malts. Everything plays a minor role: hop citrus, pine, and the dark malts. The mouthfeel is much like I expect from a pale ale, and a slight, boozy sting is pervasive. As it warms, the hops leave an earthy, grainy aftertaste.

Drinkability: Excellent. This is something I will definitely drink again.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

A-dark brown black color with a nice tan head and good lacing

S-citrus, pine, dark roasted malt, grass

T-dark roasted malt, pine, slight citrus and coffee, nice bitter hop finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp with slight alcohol burn

O-a flavorful black ale, my favorite of this style

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%