Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA | Stone Brewing

4.2

Ratings: 5,927 |  Reviews: 1,915
3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Not really sure how I've gone this long without reviewing this!

A: Stone never really does disappoint me in this category. The color is about the darkest brown you can imagine. 3+ fingers of a light tan, fluffy head. Great retention and nice lacing. All kinds of bubble sizes. Just a beautiful beer that I can't wait to drink... again!

S: Oh man this smells like a hop bomb (that I know it is). Lots of citrus, just pure... dank hops. There are some sweeter notes from a roasty malt presence too. Almost burnt coffee-esque. A great aroma that is so inviting.

T: Huge, huge hops. I mean slap you in the face hops. Really resiny... piney hops. Some citrus too. The malts come to play in a smokey, roasted malt sort of way. Some coffee. Just a hint of the coffee. But it's really hard to taste anything but those hops. Hugely bitter finish. Lots of heat from the alcohol, but it's totally welcome!

M: I'm totally digging this mouthfeel. It's so smooth and has great body. It's not nearly as slick as I would think, given the hops.

O: A solid beer in this category. Definitely not much in the way of balance. But that's ok, because it's damn good. I'm frequently at a toss up between the well balanced American Black Ales or the hop heavy ones. This is one of my favorite hop forward ones.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Very dark with a nice, think light-colored head. Color is a nearly opaque black, with a hint of amber and transparency near the top when held to the light.

S: Delicious smell, with hops being the most prominent. There is also some citrus and a hint of grapefruit and sweetness.

T: This is a wonderful tasting beer - It's been about two years since I had it for the first time (I moved back to Iowa and it just today was distributed) and it remains as good as I remember it. Very hop-forward with some malt follow-up. There are several other flavors present as well, possibly floral and pine.

M: The mouthfeel is great, with a forefront of bitterness and a great aftertaste. It makes me want another drink before I put the glass down. It feels medium to light, despite its dark appearance. Very pleasant.

O: Overall, I really enjoy this beer. It's much more hop-forward than I remembered or anticipated when I purchased it, but that was a pleasant surprise. This is one of those beers with enough complexity that I am confident I will discover more flavors as I come back to this beer over and over again. At 8.7%, the booziness is present but more subdued than I expect for a beer of this gravity.

Being my first Stone beer in nearly two years, its too early to say how it stacks up with the rest of their lineup. However, the price is great ($10.99 for a 4-pack) and I imagine this will become a part of my regular drinking lineup.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

2.5/5  rDev -40.5%

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours nearly pitch black with a thinner body than you'd expect from this dark color - similar to that of IPAs, and not super-thick like stouts and porters. Looks great - thin layer of off-white head that settled down rather quickly but left very nice lacing along the glass when I was finished. The nose is loaded with hops, pines, oily resin, a touch of citrus, and dashes of roasted malt, which is probably what gives this beer its fantastic color. Upon first taste, the hops immediately jump out and jab your tongue with a huge pine-tree bite. Halfway through the sip, as the beer warms up in your mouth, the roasted malts start to come out and mellow out the hops, performing a balancing act with them that works quite nicely. Your tongue is left with an aftertaste of floral greens and toasty malt and barley. Very smooth on the body, and overall pretty thin, with a fairly high amount of carbonation that goes hand in hand with the initial hop bite. Mouth is left somewhat dry and sticky - keeps you coming back for more.

I love this beer because it's so unique - it's almost starts off in your mouth like an IPA then transforms into a porter right in front of your palette. One of the first brews I ever had from Stone, and it surely did not disappoint. Great beer.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

A - Nice big off-white almost rootbeer-esque looking head, with great retention; excellent lacing. Is almost black with just some light seeping in around the edges which is very interesting for an IPA. Intriguing. Carbonation looks good, cannot wait to dive in.

S - Wow. This smells just overwhelmingly good. Loaded with hops but there is also a distinct fruitiness there, a bit of citrus and maybe even some pineapple/grapefruit. There is also some sweetness to it that suggest a little malt.

T - Jumping with hops, definitely some malt as well, the fruit is present in therel, floral, citrus, some grapefruit, but the fruit is not overwhelming the palate so much as weaving in and out of the hops in a very subtle manner. Very bitter, very delicious, a little similar to the Ruination IPA. Sticky, piney and wonderful, very different though.

M - Really awesome mouthfeel; by the way it looks you would think it would be thick, perhaps even syrupy given it's black color, but it's not at all, it's very light and the carbonation only adds to this effect pleasantly. I would say medium bodied.

D - Exceedingly drinkable, I could take this down all night.

O - Overall this IPA is very good. Loaded with hops, compulsively drinkable, and sublimely self-righteous. Thank you again Stone.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was a pint on tap at jack of the Wood.

It pours dark with good clarity and mild/medium retention. It smells super hoppy and has a mild malt taste. It has a bigger body than I expected and has a bunch of malts and then a powerful hop finish. Great beer for IPA fans.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA from Stone Brewing