Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA | Stone Brewing

Added by Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

4.2

Ratings: 5,925 |  Reviews: 1,914

3.76/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

From: Binny's in Champaign, IL
Best by: None found
Glass: New Belgium globe glass

Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale is a solid BIPA, but strikes me as a bit too ethanol-heavy for its own good. While it delivers a nice, medium to medium-heavy body with strong hop and moderate roasted malt flavors, this just does not live up to its potential, the ethanol being too high and not appropriately balanced by the other flavors and aromas in the beer. If this were around 7%, I suspect it would be much more appealing to my palate. As it stands, it's a good beer, but not one I really feel that I'll go back to.

Pours a >2cm head of tan bubbles, small on the lower layers while large to medium on the upper. Head retention is above average, and the descending foam leaves thick lacing along the sides of the glass. The beer's body is opaque, dark brown to black, with no visible carbonation.

Aroma features prominent pine resin, pine bark, and grapefruit hops with a base of roasted malt with notes of char and roasted nuts. Ethanol creeps out a bit as this warms, and so it is more enjoyable when cold.

Taste, overall, presents a steadfast grapefruit and orange citrus bitterness combined with a roasted malt presence, lending chocolate and charred grain to the flavor spectrum. The hops still win out, but the dark malt factor is always present.
Taste opens with dark and roasted malt sweetness, with a fair bit of citrus fruit that's also sweet and flavorful. Mid-palate brings out the grapefruit bitterness and char/chocolate, which lasts through the back of the palate and into the aftertaste. Aftertaste is primarily of a potent bitterness with a noticeable char and roasted malt component. I agree with ThisWangsChung that the beer becomes a bit harsh with its ethanol exposure as it warms up: it's best enjoyed at or below cellar temperature.

Beer's body is medium to medium-heavy in weight, with fairly light to medium-light levels of carbonation. The result is a fairly smooth beer with a hefty body, resulting in a full and satisfying mouthfeel. Closes out expectedly dry, with long-lingering bitterness and a touch of residual sweetness around the lips.

4.02/5  rDev -4.3%

A- dark brown, dark ruby red held up to light

S- Malt that is dark, hops that are citrus

T- What? Did not expect that. Like a black IIPA, very unique, I like it. It tastes like an IPA but looks like a Stout/Porter. Very complex malts then the hops hit your throat like a Bruce Lee 1 inch punch.

M- Full and just the right amount of carbonation

O- Buy it and try it. If you like stouts and Ipa's then this seems to be the perfect combo.

2.75/5  rDev -34.5%

3.13/5  rDev -25.5%

'Bout time I review this, I've been glossing it over for a few months now, and I hope this is as killer as the 15th anniversary ale Stone did. 22 oz. bottle poured into a tumbler pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown color with faint hints of light coming through the body. The head is a two finger light mocha color with a great creamy texture and excellent retention. Nice rings of lacing are left on the glass.

S: Grapefruity. I'm a little disappointed I'm not getting more roast/coffee/chocolate - in fact, it smells mostly like a generic IPA, not just from the citrus rind/pine/herbal hop tones, but honestly a bit from the malt backbone, as well. It smells more bright than roasted, although there's a faint hint of chocolate to remind me it's still a black IPA. Don't get me wrong, I really like how it smells, but I want a little more 'black' and a little less 'IPA'. Then again, I thought the exact same about Storm King, and I absolutely loved that one...

T: This is really drinking like a normal IPA to me, sadly...initial flavors are strong in grapefruit and orange rind, before giving way to a medium finishing bitterness. However, the hop profile is very well executed. Chocolate malt starts to make its appearance after several sips, helping smooth out the hops and providing a burnt, ashy (even vegetal, at times) edge to the finish. Still, it doesn't mesh together in the way Stone's 15th does, and it becomes slightly too boozy as it warms up - drink this one cold, in other words.

M: Rather thin, with a dryness coming more from the hops rather than the roast. There's a bit of malt stickiness throughout. Alcohol can be felt slightly on the tongue and stomach once it warms up, and it just feels weird all around. Drinkability is disappointingly low.

O: I'm really disappointed it's only 'okay' instead of 'mindblowing' like its (sorely missed) big brother. I'm thinking maybe oldish bottle, but the Stone 15th I had was 6 months old, and it still blew me away. To be fair, that was clearly more malt driven - so I'll try this again fresh, or maybe on tap.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

1.5/5  rDev -64.3%

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Can't seem to find a date on this one. Poured into a pint. Enjoying this one due to a good friend reminding me of it (I was quite the beer novice when I had it the first time)!

A - A dark brown that looks similar to a light stout. Tan head with small bubbles. Good retention.

S - Piney hops up front with some sweet chocolate malts rounding it out.

T - Starts with the piney hops but quickly begin dissipation as a smooth chocolate malts takes over. A surprisingly smooth transition that ends with a bit of warmth from the ABV, which is hidden masterfully otherwise.

M - A light-medium body that has a consistency near water, which I believe could be a tad better, perhaps more viscous. Carbonation is mild and again I believe a slight improvement would benefit the beer. This said, it is an incredibly drinkable black ale at this ABV.

O - A good showing from Stone. I would not have any issues with enjoying one another day.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA from Stone Brewing