Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA | Stone Brewing

Alströms:
4.2

Ratings: 5,928 |  Reviews: 1,915

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Almost black, moderately clear (too dark to tell really) and a great, sticky, lighter than expected head.

S: Citrus, dank, pine, floral, and carmel malts in that order. The black color seems to work its way into the smell by integrating with the base in a nice toasted sweet bread kinda' way.

T: Really great. THe hops are sticky and prickly. The malt is sweet enough to play off the hops in a grapfruit juice way before finishing pretty dry with a hint of warm toast to compliment the hint of booze.

M: Just like I like. Med and sticky.

O: My favorite “Black IPA” so far. Actually one of my favorite beers. None of the yuck-y cream cheese taste that seems to be ever present in hops in the dark and back in black, just smooth roasty malts and really big citrusy and floral hops. Hella!

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

an outstanding big black ipa that sort of straddles the line between styles. pours a gorgeous looking thick dark chocolate color with an almost nitro-tap looking head on it, all creamy and white and lasting and foamy and yummy. smells great! lots of hops synergizing with very dark roasted malts to produce an exceltionally rich bitter character that radiates in both the nose and in the flavor. there are also subtle hints of vanilla, sweet spices, and wood in the flavor. feel is awesome, thich and velvety. full bodied but sessionable, with a very well hidden 8.7% abv. in the end i dont know why i looked at this one on the shelf for so long before picking it up. i loved every drop and will almost certainly purchase this again. really really good stuff here, not like any other black india pales out there.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.87/5  rDev +15.4%

(My first beer review on BA!) Poured into my Stone Brewing pint glass. Just tried this one for the first time now, and I must say, I'm really impressed with this beer.

A - A very dark brown, almost Pepsi-like black color with a one-finger light brown head that eventually turns to a slightly thin layer of foam. Has a moderate amount of lacing in the glass.

S - The hops are the main thing that I notice, along with a nice roasty backbone. It's almost like a standard IPA (citrus/pine from the hops), yet with sort of a porter/stout roasted character in the background, but a bit lighter (which, for my palate, is quite pleasant). Very nice.

T - I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor. The taste between the hops and the roasted malts have a really nice balance, more so than from the aroma. It's like the hops and malts are working 50/50 with each other; you get the pine/citrus flavor of the hops, yet you're getting that dark roasted flavor from the malts, but neither are overpowering the other.

M - Surprisingly light for 8.7% ABV, although I would say it's medium-bodied overall. It has a moderate amount of carbonation with a nice hop bitterness.

O - Again, I was pleasantly surprised by this brew. Like a few reviewers have mentioned already, I think this would be a nice example of a black IPA. It has the potential of a regular IPA, yet also has a really awesome roasty flavor that compliments the hop bitterness. I've had one other black IPA from another company so far, but I feel like the roasted flavor of that beer dominated the hops. With this one though, as mentioned above, it's a perfect 50/50. Stone definitely knows what they are doing, and this one is worth a try. I will have more of these in the future for sure.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.57/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured into a pint glass. This one pours dark brown with a creamy cap of beige foam.

The aroma is full of tropical fruit aroma and nice bitter hops. This has a nice roasty char backbone that gives it a nIce dynamic. The pallet has a good tropical/ citrus flavor with a bitter finish. A little bit of a nice char finish.

He body is medium with adequate carbonation. A dry finish here. Overall this is one of the better offerings out there. Real enjoyable.

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just good. Surprisingly warm and very, very good. It will hang with the best ales I've ever had.

I've had varying experiences with Stone but I couldn't resist the bottle. I opened it with low expectations, but was sold at the first smell.

Usually I suspect dark beers of adding black to make them dark. I don't have that feeling here. It numbed me so fast and had me hating that I took the last sip.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA from Stone Brewing