Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA | Stone Brewing

4.2

Ratings: 5,926 |  Reviews: 1,914

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a very dark red, almost black. Smell is extremely hoppy, I swear when I opened the bottle the sweet, sweet bitterness exploded out underneath the cap and my whole room smelled like hoppiness. Nice thick head in the glass, taste is medium to full bodied. Hop heads delight with some smokiness flavor coming through. Super creamy and somehow well balanced. Goes down way too easy for a 8.7% ABV. Fantastic beer, will definitely be picking this up again when I need a hop kick.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

4.74/5  rDev +12.9%

I've had this beer numerous times throughout the years, but finally had a chance to review it with a fresh palate.

On tap at Bluepalms Brewhouse on 01/08/2012. Served in a goblet.

A: Jet black with a 2 inch toffee lead. A ruby-caramel note towards the head. Good lacing throughout.

S: Woah. Bacon, toasted almonds, and chicory oak along with a pungent dose of fresh floral hops. I can't begin to explain how well balance the aromas are. Just decadent and truly enticing.

T: G** D***.. Freshly peeled tangerine, along with the smoked bacon and toasted oak backbone. I know toasted and bitter profiles sometimes don't seem to work out well, but they do here in a magnificent way. Each sip/gulp hits you with massive citrus bitterness and smoked oak notes at the same time. A truly well balanced dialogue. Some coffee comes through as the beer warms up a bit, which is like icing on the cake for me. I can drink this by the kegs. Put me on a liver transplant list now.

M: Crisp and made to order iced coffee-like substance. The bitterness may keep some from drinking more than a couple of these, but not me.

O. C.D.A/Black I.P.A perfection. Some Dark I.P.A's tend to be overly roasted, or overly bitter. Self-Righteous lives up the name by tooting its own horn and truly displaying a well-balanced, yet assertively hopped and smokey beer. A plus.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA from Stone Brewing