Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA | Stone Brewing

Added by Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

4.2

Ratings: 5,925 |  Reviews: 1,914
4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On cask at Varga Bar, 3/19/11.

A-Pours a deep dark brown, almost black, with a foamy cap of tan head. Great retention and good lacing.

S-Tons of piney hops, perhaps the most aromatic cask beer I have ever run across.

T-Rich roasted malt, tons of piney hops and a sold but controlled bitterness that really sets this beer apart.

M-Medium bodied, the bitterness, while restrained, does linger.

D-Excellent. A great black ale by any delivery mehod.

HV

4.26/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a slightly translucent black color with two fingers of off white head that leave some pretty ridiculous lacing.

Smell is big pine and slight acidic alcohol.

Alcohol heat doesn't come through in the taste. I get pineapple, pine, and grapefruit from the hops, with a slight roast and a big biscuity body from the malt.

Mouthfeel is substantial with moderate carbonation. Well made here.

Really supreme beer. I don't even like this style but somehow they melded flavors so well here that I'm really diggin drinking this.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours dark black with raisin colored edges, and a large 3 finger head which has nice retention and lacing. The aroma has pineapple, pine and grapefruit. The fact that I do not smell much in the way of roasted or chocolate malt is surprising, but welcome.

The taste is just like the aroma. There is a little roasted malt, but not much. There is a lot of grapefruit, pine, and pineapple, which I like. All American Black Ales should be more like Sublimely Self-Righteous. Emphasize the hops, and lessen the malts. I love malt forward beers, but I would prefer that malts take a back seat in an American Black Ale.

Medium bodied with medium carbonation. The aftertaste is what I love about IPAs: grapefruit, pine, and pineapple. I really like this beer a lot, and this is the first American Black Ale that I have been a real big fan of. Way to go Stone, and welcome to Minnesota!!!

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

I just drank my last bottle of SSR and Stone has pulled out of the WI market. Needless to say, I bummed:

"Spending all my nights
All my money going out on the town
Doing anything just to get you off of my mind
But when the morning comes
I'm right back where I started again
Trying to forget you is just a waste of time

Baby come back, any kind of fool could see
There was something in everything about you
Baby come back, you can blame it all on me
I was wrong, and I just can't live without you"

Come on Stone, you left me just when we were getting good... Now I'm stuck drinking other black american ales and it just ain't right. You are sublimely self-righteous for thinking that you can tease me with such fine indulgences, then walk away as if nothing ever transpired between us. I miss you, your gorgeous head, your sexy black body, your juicy-fruit perfume and your deep, dark nastiness. How am I suppose to go on when I've already sampled the best? All others literally pale in comparison. I fell for you, after you, from you... and you just turn around and walk away from me.

My last bottle, savored.
My memories, flooded.
My heart, broken.
Goodbye.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Served from a Growler from Party Town in Florence, KY

The appearance is a deep dark, reddish old ale that doesn't let a lot of light through. The head is wonderful and thick with an off white color that hangs around for the whole glass. Lacing drags down the glass all the way.

The smell is of strong hops with a citrus backdrop and a little roasteg malt.

This beer taste like an DIPA with attitude that will keep you coming back for more. This is such a great beer that should be in 6'ers!! Think- dark DIPA!

This is very drikable beer that suprised me from the way it looks and catagorized.? One of my favorites from STONE. A slightly sweet Double IPA that lives up to the score.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Pours completly opaque even when held up to the light. A dense 2 finger tan head presents excellent retention and random patterns of lacing.

S - Resinous pine surrounded by grapefruit zest and sweet tropical fruit. Perfume-like alcohol vapors, hits of roasted dark malts and cocoa.

T - Oily piney hop juice all the way to the middle then instantly turns to aggressive grapefruit pith, tropical fruits, and mint. All the while the roasted, almost burnt malt holds on and adds some smoky sweetness. Bitter fruit and slightly sweet with burnt chocolate on the finish. Aftertaste seems different with every drink but grapefruit seems to dominate.

M - Full bodied, very rich and creamy, moderate carbonation hops coat the mouth with bitterness.

A multitude of hop flavors with good black malts behind it. This is on the edge of being unbalanced on the hops side but the malt comes through just enough.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

What an experience. Stone seems to have pulled the qualities from multiple styles, and blended them into a very interesting and exotic brew. Drinking it sends the tastebuds into a frenzy as they try to determine which flavors are being experienced. There's too much for me to begin to describe, except that this is a wonderful creation, and a testament to the brewers at Stone and their mastery over malts and hops.

Any brewer can throw a crap ton of stuff into the mash tun or kettle, but to have made a beer where so many flavors marry together and still produce a very drinkable beer is impressive.

My only complaint is that this is a strong beer at 8.7%, and I can't drink much more than half a bomber before I need to switch to something else. Still is something I'd recommend anyone to try out.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Thick, very dark, gloriously rich looking. Deep, deep velvety red/mahogany around the edges, you won't see much light getting through this brew. Nice 1" head that settled fast to a 1/8" cap that stayed around with chunky lacing to the end of the glass. Beautiful.

Nose: Initial sweetness then the hops came in, definitely a bittersweet chocolate background which surprised me. Dare I say, it smells somewhat like...IPA...the hops are there.

Taste: Initial sweetness, mild chocolate again, followed by that hops come-on. Finishes dry and leaves that wonderful bitterness on the inner cheeks. Maybe a nutty/smokish background there, like faint chocolate covered nuts.

Mouth Feel: Initially I thought it was going to be thick and syrupy, but it felt thinner than appearance dicated. Nice background presence of the hops that stays, but still a smoooth experience. I can feel the claimed 8.7% ABV with a warming in the throat. Not objectionable.

Drinkability: Begs me to have another swallow. One 22oz is a nice sample size, and I don't want to share it! I could drink two of these, but I might need a ride home afther that.

Overall: Very nice! I liked it more than I expected to. 8.5 of 10. (edit: 9 out of 10..read below...)

EDIT: I started drinking this one too cold. It was a bit more bitter/hoppy than I expected. After warming it a solid 10-15 minutes in the glass, it became much smoother, the flavors really came alive with that chocolate/nutty background with a smooth but strong hops flavor I adore. At 45 minutes in, finishing the last third of the 22oz bomber, it was simply phenomenal. I changed my score above to a 9 based on this.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Liquid amazement is what I would have to call this. Save for the aroma being a little on the burnt side, this black IPA is incredible. Smooth and thick, this beer brings an awful lot to the table. High on the bitters throughout the mouth-feel, its smoky, mellow aftertaste makes you completely forget that. This is definitely a beer that balances itself well. Out of all the 'newish' style of black IPA that I have had, this one is definitely the crown jewel. Congratulations Stone, for making another beer that I find to be so enjoyable.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours from the bottle like a strong tea, results in a black beer. Three-finger latte head with near complete lacing.

Sticky, piney, pineapple, grapefruit hop aromas. Super sweet and lush smelling.

Hops and malt come through big together. Dry and sticky from the hops. The hops follow the aroma and the malts are a cocoa dusted almonds. Dark and dry malts combined fruity, sticky hops. Yum.

Extremely dark, smooth body and just enough head to make this a very good beer. At first try I was surprised by the hoppiness of the beer as it's not a taste I typically attribute to dark black beers. Quality of the ingredients definitely shows in this beer.

4.62/5  rDev +10%

22 oz. bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours pretty much black with a finger of mocha head; dissipates but leaves some lacing.

S: I'm getting a strong hops smell here...just like sticking your face in a bag of hop pellets. This smells very fresh.

T: Very complex tasting: the fresh hops are definitely there but also licorice, dark fruit, coffee and chocolate.

M: Mouthfeel is on the full side of medium with a perfect level of carbonation that does not get in the way.

D: The alcohol is nowhere to be found. This is a great beer. I'm not sure that Black IPA works for me as a style but this transcends the style.

3.55/5  rDev -15.5%

Sublimely Self Righteous Ale pours a dark brownish amber. Off white head and lace stickage. Smells of piney hops, some malt, and earthy/woodsy elements. In the flavor, dry hoppiness and some light citrus and pine notes. Sweet caramel malt backing and some booziness. Nothing exciting, more raw and strong flavors. Overall, more of a strong ale than a black ale, would like a more pronounced roasted malt flavor and less booze. Nonetheless this is an ass kicker.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours black with brown hues around the edges. Excellent fluffy brown-tan head that persists. Aroma is straight west coast hops - pine, resin, mild floral. Flavor is excellent - brief roasted malts, coffee, toffee, followed by that great bitterness. Both aspects are extremely smooth and meld together like a piece of art. I could drink this one all day long. Medium body, great mouth feel. Extensive hop and malt bitterness on the finish. Lacing up and down the glass. About as good as it gets!

Poured from a bomber into a snifter

A- pours black with a slight red tint, half finger tan head disappears a lot more quickly than i would have liked, decent sticky lacing clings to the glass

S- citrus hops, bitter grapefruit notes, slightly piney notes too, slight roasted malt, the citrus really seems to dominate this

T- bitter hops attack the palate from the start, the taste is reminiscent of grapefruit rind, slight roasted malt flavor toward the end

M- medium body, smooth and coats the palate fairly nicely, pretty solid balance of carbonation, finishes slightly dry with some lingering bitterness

D- a solid black ale/ipa, i wish there had been a little more roastiness but its not a huge issue, all around well done

4.56/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours dark brown with a tan head. Aroma is roasted malt hidden behind hop bitterness. Roasty taste, with hop oils residual. Full, creamy mouthfeel similar to a dry stout. Bitter front end plows over the creaminess with each sip. Hint of alcohol warmth is good indicator for non-info'd drinkers.

On draft, this is one of my favorite beers. From a bottle, it continues to live up to its worth.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a murky brown almost black with a thin beige head. Sweet roasty caramel malts as well as a load of piney, citusy hops. Pretty complex malt versus hops but the flavors really compliment each other. Great smooth body and soft carbonation. Long bitter finish. Delicious

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Date: 11 March 2011
Glass: Standard pint glass
Type: On-tap, 12fl oz

Drank on-tap at Gilly's in Rockville, MD to celebrate my new job offer. Taken from notes:

Appearance: Black in color, beige head, strong 2-finger head, stays strong for very long. Rather sticky lacing. Perfect appearance.

Smell: Rather fresh pine hops! Grapefruit heavy on the back end of the aroma.

Taste: Super-fresh pine with slight bitter citrus at the end of the taste. Malts are pale and provide a great backbone for the fresh hops. Bitterness is moderate in taste.

Mouthfeel: Delicious hop resins and bitterness are sooo fresh. Bitterness is pleasant and sticky.

Drinkability: Very drinkable....a real palate buster (in a good way). You won't want to spoil your palate with another beer after this one.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

bomber served in a snifter glass.

pours a translucent cola-brown, sits an opaque almost black... creamy/foamy khaki head demonstrates great retention and lacing. damn respectable presentation.

nose yields an aromatic bouquet of hops - pine, floral, a touch of citrus - with a noted, if subdued, malt character in the background.

flavor profile follows the nose. big hoppy presence with the aforementioned pulling through - notably pine - and a touch of roasted, maybe caramel, malt. moderate to heavy bitter presence that presists through the finish - slightly more so than i'd like, but still very tasty overall. were it not for the color you'd be hard pressed not to mistake this for a DIPA.

medium-bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation. nothing too spectacular on that front. i'm going to pick it up a bit in the drinkability department because ultimately i think this is a really enjoyable brew, though falls short of world class. most do; nothing to be ashamed of.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

- Pardon the abbreviated review, this was sampled at a free Stone tasting. Special thanks to Big Z's in Huntington NY -

A - Deep cola.

S - Beautifully flora. Light citrus hops. Rich malt backbone.

T - Woody hops up front with some deep toast and rye bread. Great balance.

M - Smooth with a bitterness that doesn't overpower.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

From a bomber into a wine goblet, dark, nearly opaque brown. Firm pour yields a towering head of brown foam with great retention and clingy lace. Precipitating carbonation keeps the head solid straight down to the bottom of the glass. Great looking brew. Nose is complex with sharp hops-citrus and floral; some malt but no discernable alcohol; floral character overall. In the mouth, it's bitterly hoppy up front with a nice burnt toast malty character behind it. Strong hops presence with a bit of sweet malt for balance, finishing on a bitter, acrid note. Very nice flavor profile. Mouthfeel is slightly chewy, very smooth, with light carbonation, complementary of the flavor. Drinkability is very good; a bit stout for mass consumption but definitely an enjoyable sipper. Overall, this is a complex and delicious brew and a nice departure from standard "orange" IPA's. I'd definitely try this one again.

3.45/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours black, as the style would suggest. Tan head retains extremely well.

Hops overwhelm the bouquet. Smells piney, woodsy, almost like a natural fir.

Extreme flavor - hops, hops, hops, alcohol, hops. Really, there's nothing more to it, which is why I wouldn't classify this beer as extraordinary. I can see already a few sips in, how this could get redundant almost. It's like biting copper.

As the heaviness will eventually settle in, the acids kind of wear the palate out. It's extremely flavorful, it blasts the tastebuds, so again, I marked it kind of low in this respect. It offers nothing but the same flavor over and over, there's almost no complexity in my opinion.

High in alcohol and volume, I wouldn't expect more than one would not suffice, unless you're a hophead and you'd like to get tanked. Not my cup o' tea.

3.05/5  rDev -27.4%

Intro: 64 oz. growler poured into a tulip glass. Shared with a friend.

Appearance: Little to no head that dissipates quickly however when swirled some head remains, jet black color, opaque, little carbonation and no lacing and very oily.

Smell: Slight smell of dates, figs or raisins with an alcohol odor as well.

Taste: Strong and bitter with a subdued unsweetened chocolate with prominent aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Leaves dryness in the back of the mouth but at the same time there is a motor oil consistency to the feel.

Drink: Seems to be a sipper and not a beer that improves with warming, better served cold. The taste is almost too bitter to be enjoyed.

Conclusion: I will be the first to admit that I am a card carrying full-fledged hop head and this beer may not be my cup of tea. The main objections to this beer are the bad mouth feel, the coating and aftertaste. After further contemplation, I think maybe my growler came from an old barrel that was nearly empty. My experience just doesn't come close to what I read about this beer.

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

No need for you to read this, just go pick up a bottle now.

Pours very dark brown with orange highlights around the edges. Big thick foamy head. Huge lacings stick out from the side of the glass. Fantastic retention.

Close your eyes and you're smelling a big IPA. All brash hops. Loads of citrus, grapefruit juice, with a touch of pine.

Hops up front. Again, big citrus fruit all the way through. Transitions to a nice piney lasting bitterness. Like with the aroma, you could easily mistake it for a DIPA. Nonetheless, caramel malt is there. Interesting flavour mix with the bitter hops, together they give off flavours of really excellent dark chocolate.

Medium body. Nice and smooth going down. Not overdone, perfectly drinkable.

A fantastic beer.

4.26/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is nearly black in color--some amber is visible but only near the bottom of the glass when it is held up to the light. It poured with a two finger high beige head that has good retention properties--it died down very slowly and consistently left a thin head covering the surface.
S: There are aromas of citrus and pine resin hops in the nose along with some hints of roasted malts.
T: The taste is well balanced between flavors of roasted malts and a moderate amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very smooth on the palate with a light to moderate amount of carbonation. There are some hints of dryness in the finish.
D: The beer goes down very easily; I could easily have a few of these in one sitting.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA from Stone Brewing