Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA | Stone Brewing

Style: American Black Ale

Added by Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

4.2

Ratings: 5,926 |  Reviews: 1,914

I know going into this review my words can never pay this beer homage.

That said, I was lucky enough to find this beer on tap for my first tasting of it. I've since bought it by the case in bottle form. It's not quite as good in bottle as on tap, but that can be expected with any beer.

SSRA pours a very dark brown. By eye it is almost black. Trying to peer through the liquid into a light or even the sun is useless, as you cannot see through it. It has almost 2 fingers worth of a tan-white head that recedes somewhat quickly, but laces with every sip I take.

It smells sweet and roasted initially. The malts smells of chocolate and caramel. Further looking into it, you can get a scent of the faint hops smell behind the malts. The hops smell somewhat grassy.

The taste is superfluous. It's very dark and smokey upfront with a very tasty bitter finish. It's like Stone combined 5 different styles of beer into one and made it work somehow. It's smokey like a porter, thick like a stout, clean as a lager, and as bitter and refreshing as an IPA. (Due in part to the 80ish IBU's I'm sure).

The beer is well carbonated. It does linger a lot.. and suffice it to say I think any beer you taste after having this will be ruined.

The overall drinkability for me is excellent. I can drink SSRA after SSRA and never tire of it. The only problem being is now that I know what SSRA is and how it tastes.. I have to plan ahead of time to make sure to drink it last if I'm drinking other beers. Even it's after taste overpowers a lot of brews.

This beer may not fit everyone's palate, but I see it as a must try. Definitely my #1 favorite beer of all time. Right in front of Pliny the Elder at #2.

Awesome! By far the best imperial IPA I have ever tasted.

Pitch black in color.

The smell of floral wafts as its poured.

Nice thick rich head. Extreme lacing.

Very hoppy blend that compliments the hints of chocolate.

Nice and smooth mouthfeel, with a little touch alcohol on the end.

All around solid beer.