Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA | Stone Brewing

4.2

Ratings: 5,928 |  Reviews: 1,915
3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.64/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Been wanting to review this beer as my first review for a long time. I am so happy when I see this on the shelf and even happier when I see a fresh date on the neck . In this case 04/04/14

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my favorite chilled snifter

Pours a nice "cola" color. Dark almost syrupy brown. Nice lingering tan head with incredible lacing. Light foam sticks to the sides of the glass as you consume this incredible nectar.

Dominant oak, chocolate, coffee flavors. Extremely balanced! Intense amount of hops but still a malty "stout" like experience.

Strong alcohol content is well masked by all the exquisite flavors. Half way through you might realize it's hitting you fast.

Really enjoy this beer. It is in my top 5 and has been for a while now .

4.29/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

$6 bottle from Three Blind Mice in Mt. Clemens, Michigan. Enjoy By date was a week ago at most, but that's not enough to make me whine to the waitress or owner.

Appearance: Opaque black, it seems. Nice tan sort of head on top with fantastic sip-by-sip lacing for the most part.

Smell: A bit of char, but definitely piled with hops... definitely a black IPA on the nose. No fruitiness that I can tell, just earthy, piney hops and some roast.

Taste/feel: The piney/earthy hops are definitely there, but some sort of citrus is in the flavor that I didn't get in the aroma. The hops dominate at the forefront, with a roast/char aftertaste. A nice body on this one as well, with a carbonation that's maybe medium-high.

A pretty great beer, and one of the best black IPAs I've had, for sure.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

A: This brew pours a dark, dark ruby color with a thick tan head. Very dense head with good retention.

S: The first thing that hits you is a pronounced hop aroma, predominantly grapefruit with some pine and underlying earthy tone. A pleasant sweetness penetrates the hop aroma laying a nice foundation of dark fruit with an almost perceptible oak aroma.

T: The aroma fools the palate as the first thing you taste is a beautifully heavy malt presence. The sweetness quickly transitions to a nice hop bite followed by a lingering hop bitterness. This is a very nicely balanced Black IPA that showcases the hops but doesn't overpower the malt.

M: Medium to slightly heavy body with a smoothness that's a bit more silk than slick.

O: I'm not a hophead. I like my English browns, but Stone continues to make me a convert. It's nicely layered with malt and hops and gives a pleasant complexity. I'd buy this again!

3.91/5  rDev -7.3%

Hmmm... "strong ale", "black ipa", "dark cascadian" or "black ale" ... ???

Doesn't really matter much to me... I'm not a stickler of beer identification, all I know is that this stuff is pretty good.

It reminds me of Sierra Nevada's Torpedo and is a lot alike Stones' bastard ale.

this ale's very malt centric and has a nice dark brown or "Cola" tint to it. The head is thin and there's very little lacing.

The nose is pretty decent; again malt centric, with a good sweet candied, cake like feel. You definitely get a light roasted malt scent. The hop is lurking in the background; not exactly sure how to identify it; I want to say piney/citric; but there's a little floral too. All in all, a delightful nose with a good balance.

The taste is very nice. Not overpowering but not light either. A good medium to heavy flavor that is distinctly lightly roasted malty and candied fruit. When I say candied fruit I mean a nice candied dry fruit; mostly cherry, apricot and orange.

I hate to say this, but I'm going to anyway... the finish on this reminds me of fruit cake, but in a good way. Not the "what you hate" about fruit cake; but the actually "ok there's something good in here" aspect of fruitcake. But the finish also has that classic roasted malt taste. But a light roasted malt... not like a porter or stout.

The hops are there too; just a little hard to pin point. But there is a bitterness and it's very balanced with the sweetness of the malt; making it seem less bitter then what I'm sure it is.

All in all, a very pleasing ale. Not my favorite, but certainly not bad and I don't mind drinking it at all. This ale in my opinion is a great after dinner drink.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

Bought a 22-oz bottle from Total Wine early last month. Enjoy by date reads 01.14.14. Figured I'd pop this open during the Chargers playoff game. Seemed fitting. Poured into a Dogfish IPA glass for review.

Pours like coca-cola. Dark translucent black with large cola flavored head that lasts a heck of a long time that leaves plenty of suds on the glass sides as it slowly fades. Smells of hoppy goodness: melon and pineapple.

Upfront chocolate malt flavors that evenly gives way to nice soft yet firm bitterness. The dark note characters stick around until the end giving a nice balanced aftertaste. Some hop fruitiness flavors add add'l complexity. And some pine.

Feels about medium. Firm bitterness with good carbonation. Alcohol is well hidden for over 8%.

A very well crafted beer. Although I'm not a particular fan of this style of beer, I'd definitely drink this one again.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA from Stone Brewing