Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA | Stone Brewing

4.2

Ratings: 5,929 |  Reviews: 1,915

2.75/5  rDev -34.8%

4.43/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- a deep clear, ruby-tinted brown. The bottle only poured about 1/2 finger of tan head, but it had good retention and left some nice lacing on the glass.

S-deep malt, some pine hops, chocolate and anise are aromas I got at one point or another. Complex.

T- In a word, delicious. Matches the aroma in complexity and pulls it off beautifully. Burnt sugar and pine hops are the two big flavors but others dart around in the background.

M- full and enjoyable. A little oily, too.

O- a great complex ale. It doesn't fit into any one category but crosses types on multiple occasions.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

2.96/5  rDev -29.9%

Worst bottle of beer I've had from Stone, but I think I say that for personal reasons. I'm sure it's great to someone, but not to me. It looked really nice. finger and a half head. some lacing. Smelled kind of foul. It had the typical hops aroma, but it smelled burnt. Literally like a burnt piece of pine wood. It tasted like it smelled, literally. I dumped the second half out. Perhaps I had a bad bottle, that's why I didn't mark it any lower than I did. Scared to try again though. I will stick with Ruination as my Stone brew of choice >.>

Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA from Stone Brewing