Ruination IPA | Stone Brewing

Different from Ruination 2.0

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 3,085 | Ratings: 10,885

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Beautiful hazy yellow/gold with a light 1 finger white head.

S: Pine, citrus, a complete hop overload! I could smell this from three feet away!

T: Bitter bitter bitter! Glorious citrus flavors that leave you wanting more and this beer provides! Nice malt backing to even the flavor out but hops dominate in this brew.

M: Smooth and a bit dry on the mouth feel but oh so wonderful.

O: This is by far one of my all time favorites. The taste is spectacular and overwhelming. Total sensory overload but in the greatest way possible!

Pours a beautiful gold with a thick foamy head that slowly dissolves.

Smells of hops and grapefruit

Taste is bold and bitter. Very earthy-almost like biting into a bouquet of flowers. I have a garden in my mouth right now and I don't know how it got there.

Mouthfeel is full and carbonated, but with a nice balance.

I can see this becoming a mainstay in my refrigerator. I love this beer just as much, if not more than Arrogant Bastard, and that's saying a lot!

Stones "smoked porter" was my favorite of Stone's beers, then i tried Ruination. a double ipa even though it doesn't say it on the bottle, how could a beer with this high of i.b.u.s not be a double! this is my favorite double ipa out there heck this is probably even my favorite ipa period. there is not one thing lacking or wrong with this beer, the PERFECT example of a double ipa. GLORIOUS. very VERY hoppy but still balanced in an amazing way...pours golden yellow with slight haziness and reeks of bitter/sweet hops. immediate shock to the palate with an overabundance of hoppiness yet still as i said perfectly balanced... i cant come close to describing how great this beer is so just TRY IT 4 YOURSELF!

this one is my first 5.0 a+ beer, this one is not for the faint of heart, this is big and bold and the bitterist beer i have ever had, if you like hops as much as i do than this beer is for you, but if you are a biggner or scard of the hops than this is not for you, this beer boast 115 ibu's and the name and bottle say it all, your tast buds will be signifantley ruined to all outher tates after drinking this one. this one is perfection in a glass and the standard b y witch i judge all outher ips's

This is a perfect beer for hopheads. It pours a nice orange amber color with a thick foamy off-white head. Aroma is dominated by bitter earthy and citrus hops. Very bitter hoppy flavor that lasts throughout with a perfect malt backbone balance. It is like biting into a plant. One of the bet IPAs(or any other beer) I've ever had.

Poured from a bomber at about room temperature.

A - Pours nice 2 finger head with some lace finish. A very nice golden orange.

S - A beautiful hop aroma of mango and grapefruit. some nice pine and floral notes.

T - Fantastic. Tons of fruity and piney hops. A light caramel sweetness to balance things out. A great finish with a lasting taste.

M - A well bodied beer with perfect carbonation and refreshing dry finish.

O - This is a World class beer at the pinnacle of it's class. I am totally blessed to be able to enjoy this when ever I want, which will be quite frequent.

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a stemmed pilsner glass. It's orangish-gold and completely free of haziness, and it has a thick, wonderful white head, with very nice lacing quality.

Aroma is powerfully delicious. Citrusy, piney, hoppy... just what I expected, but amped up.

Upon first sip, I think "wow, this has the incredibly smooth qualities of the regular Stone IPA." Then I wait a few seconds. Suddenly, I taste a waterfall of hops and citrus and pine and bitterness cascading through my mouth. It gets stronger and stronger as the seconds go by. Yet, the bitterness is pleasant and not overbearing. I had a HopDevil before I drank this, which was actually more bitter than this beer. Still, some might find this Ruination IPA experience difficult to handle... I find it to be one of the greatest IPA experiences of my entire life. No, make that THE greatest.

The mouthfeel is weird, but AWESOME. I give it a five because I can actually feel the hop presence getting stronger and stronger AFTER I sip it. There's not really much malt presence that I detected, but who cares... it's a freakin IPA.

Shockingly drinkable for its alcoholic strength and hop potency.
I never thought I'd give a beer straight 5s, but this is a perfect IPA.

Let's put it this way:

This IPA is phenomenal.

The 10th anniversary edition is spectacular as well, if not more perfect.

The bottle design is nice, rough, and gritty. That makes for good grip and great looks.

This is one beer that I'd legitimately say, the hoppier the better.

Love life,
I am a Sea Creature (look it up)

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber imto a pint glass.
A- Tons of lacing. Orange hue. Large foamy head.
S- Hops, grass, hops, hops.
T- Heavenly! This beer is hops front and center. The hops linger on your tongue but are nicely balanced with the malts. There is a spectacular hoppy, bitter aftertaste.
M- Great body and tongue tingle.
D- This is one GREAT double IPA. Gold standard would be a good definition.

ten out of ten. absolutely awesome IPA. SO DAMN GREAT. I do not wanna get into a detailed description right now, so let me just say it is a magical, awesome IPA that I can enjoy time and time again. Thank you. ... I will be enjoying this brew in the near future because, well, it is great. Please, try one now. SO GREAT!

Appearance: The beer pours a gorgeous golden-orange body with a one finger heard. The clarity of this beer is second to none for the style.

Smell: There is an initial explosion of hop bitterness and citrus. This is balanced by an underlying aroma of sweet pine, lemon juice, and fresh flowers. This is what an IPA or Double should smell like.

Taste: The citrus hop bomb hits immediately. This transitions into a grapefruit and orange sweetness on the mid-palate. A freshly baked bready malt flavor can also be detected. The beer finishes with a pine bitterness that lingers forever.

Mouthfeel: It is oily with just enough carbonation to cleanse the palate for another sip of hop heaven. The "feel" makes the fruit flavors and hop bitterness stand out on the tongue. As mentioned above, a dry bitter taste lingers for quite a long time.

Overall: Simply put, this is a hop lovers dream. There should be a picture of this beer under the definition of Double IPA. Kudos to Stone for creating this masterpiece for which all Double IPA's should be judged. By far this is my favorite beer for the style and worth all "5s."

Stone Ruination IPA
Stone Brewing Co.
Imperial IPA
7.7% ABV
OG?
100+ IBUs
12 oz bottle with an "enjoy by" date of October 19, 2010 poured into a New Belgium snifter

Appearance 5/5
Very clear orange-red; amber when backlit with white light. Big, off-white, persistent head and insanely fantastic lacing.

Aroma 5/5
Very fresh and herbal, intense, hop aroma. Piney and grassy. I can smell it without sticking my nose in it.

Taste 5/5
Starts bitter, finishes bitter; or as BJCP says, absurdly bitter. There's a decent malt backbone, but I must say that it's just a backbone: no sweetness can be perceived when the beer is cold and it's tough to let it warm (see Drinkability). But for the sake of review, I let another bottle warm up, and the hop flavor, combined with the malts renders a fruity character before the finish. But this beer is not about malt character at all. It's all it claims to be! A dry and bittering finish, with notable warming; not just mouth (tongue, teeth, even lips), even my throat is bitter. The best kind of bitter, that could have gotten annoying, which brings us to the next item.

Mouthfeel 5/5
Hard to say whether it's an IPA or a DIPA, on the basis of mouthfeel alone but this won't deter me from giving this one the best score. The body is spot on, less than this could have made this an annoying experiment. Well carbonated and crisp, but not harsh.

Drinkability 5/5
Supreme. Nobody can have just one*
*Talking about those who can have one in the first place.

Other
Indeed a liquid poem to the glory of the hop. Had been waiting to get a fresh bottle to review and I have to say, it doesn't get better.

This beer is the stuff of dreams for any dedicated hop head, such as myself. What a glorious experience indeed. The body is liquid gold, with an inch and a half thick head that crowns atop it. The carbonation in the underlying liquid is picture perfect, and the thick body slows the ascent of the tiny bubbles down noticeably. The head recedes down to a quarter inch in height, but never completely fades. Lacing is excellent as the beer goes into me.

The aroma is like being airdropped into a pine forest. The cascade hops assault the palette with their pine resin like quality from the first sip. The flavors of grapefruit, butterscotch, peach, pear, and sour apple are also evident as let the beer lap my tounge.

On most other IPAs the hop burps are the last thing to enjoy after the beer, but here, they come after just a few sips. The malt backbone is quite solid indeed, but is only there to hold up the hops. The alcohol is in there somewhere, but under the blanket of hops you never taste it, until your head starts spinning. The mouthfeal is creamy, and the drinkability is so good, it is scary.

For me this is the pinnacle of the art of brewing. A beer this good does not come around often. Every beer lover should try this at least once. If you are not a hop head before, this beer may well convert you into one. Thank God, Liquid Solutions ships to Georgia. This beer will be on my shopping list during the next beer run to Chattanooga. And when that dreaded ABV cap is lifted, it will be hard to pick up anything else when I see Ruination on the shelves.

I'm not going to go through a lot of hoops here.
I bought this beer based on a magazine review.,
Being a hophead i was hoping this was a decent beer but not that exceptional because it's a bit pricey.
But after taking my first sip it was simply the best beer i have ever had.
It's to hoppy for most of my friends so it does not even make it the beer fridge. It's only for me.
If you like Hops try this one. But be prepared to fall in love.

If there is a better hoppy beer out there please let me know. I would love to try it.

22 oz bottle poured in a pint glass with my guitar trying to learn the chords to "Love Burns " - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club . This brew pours a brassy hue and has a delightful 2 finger head after an aggressive pour . Lacing is present and this is one tasty brew . Maybe my fav Stone product . The smell of fruit & hops makes my mouth water . The flavor is so overwhelmingly powerful and great . Balanced bitterness / citrus . My guitar playing is getting better as I drink this - wish it was that easy - . Good brew .

World Class . Fantastic .

Golden pour with a thick, billowy head, champagne bubbles, and is that the face of the Baby Jesus I see in there?

Citrus, hops effervescently dancing on my olfactory nodes.

Hoppy, citrusy, tangy, just plain delicious.

Crisp refreshing mouthfeel.

Chug-a-lug, you'll feel it after the first two, POW! Catalina Wine Mixer, POW POW!

What can I say, I effing love this beer. This is the greatest beer ever.

Appearance – The Ruination pours a gorgeous orange color with a terrific head that laced the heck out of my Ruination (what else?) glass on a modest pour. This one is thick through and through. I could stare at this all night if I didn’t want to drink it so bad.

Smell – This one has a big, complex hop profile. I can pick up everything from nice floral notes to big citrus to very smooth pine resin. There’s also a good malty sweetness that gives this Double IPA an incredibly full bouquet. It’s balanced but assertive in its style. The aroma announces the above-standard qualities of this ale.

Taste – This is very distinctive. It’s big and complex with a huge hop flavor that screams, “quality ingredients,” mixed reasonably with some very attractive malts and a good caramel sweetness for balance. It is perfectly executed for the style and demands attention by the thoughtful beer drinker.

This is like a full course meal with different flavors all around but that satisfies in the end. The hops are very floral and mixed with a pinch of table sugar and a six-inch grapefruit wedge. You can learn a lot from this beer.

Mouthfeel – There’s just enough carbonation to make this one entertaining. It is full in the mouth and incredibly smooth. It’s thick and chewy just like an American Double IPA should be.

Drinkability – My body loves this as it does oxygen. This brew is awesome. You don’t want to drink it with any food because it’s so filling and so flavorful.

Update – This is a staple in my house, so I thought that I’d re-review it with a batch from 2004. Is it still a perfect 5? Even after a bottle or two a week of this stuff it’s still perfect and I still haven’t found a better IPA.

Ya know...the name says it all. The text on the bottle about the name really says it all. Between this and Hop Stoopid I dont think any other beer will ever appeal to me. I am truly "Ruined".

At Trenton Road Takeout and The Hulmeville Inn, this masterful beer is constantly is cold supply of bottles. As the label implies, if you think it tastes bad, you clearly are not worthy of this liquid poem to the glory of the hop! Ruination is not only a beverage worthy of kings, but an elixir of true palatable flavor and distinguishable magnificence. If you do not like Ruination when you first try it, it is because you are a fizzy- yellow beer drinking wimp. Man up, drink Stone, or stay sober.

A: poured a hazy copper color with a 2 finger head that dissipates pretty quick but leaves nice lacing.

S: very bold hop smell, citrus pine is overwhelmingly awesome. This smells just like a bag of freshly opened brewing hops

T: slight malty carmel taste that is overtaken with the hoppy bitterness when it hits the taste buds in the back of the mouth, alcohol is almost completely hidden, very floral aftertaste that stays with you a while. Not balanced but doesn't matter when the taste is so rewarding

M: perfect amount of carbonation, not as carbonated as some but more than others, with such a wild flavor it is quite clean and refreshing

O: after a few years of drinking IPAs and pursuing hoppier brews the more I drink them, I feel that I stumbled upon this one at the perfect time. As the bottle says, this shouldn't be someone's 1st IPA, or they'll likely hate it. This is an amazing beer that uses hops to their fullest!

22oz. Bottle - Enjoy By Date: 01-13-10, almost made it.

Appearance is a cloudy amber with a nice head.

Smell is piney citrus hop lovelyness.

Taste is a hop dominate bomb, but not as harsh as the 100+ IBU would suggest. Citrus with a doughy finish. Delicious and chewy.

One of these and I was done for the night.
I loved this beer and if you're into hops you will too.

Far and away my favorite DIPA of em all, it holds true to it's word though, in ruins you're palate but in a good way. Tast is very hoppy and very bitter but it's DIPA what really did you expect? ;-) Mouthfeel is very full feeling with the alcohol not being too overpowering to you but I could see being very well off after a few of these. My tip is to open this up and pour into a glass and take a smell right off the bat. That, my friends, is a dang good IPA.

You can smell this as you pour it... It has a very strong grapefruit citrus and a touch of pine in the smell. This is more grapefruity smelling as opposed to the regular Stone IPA which I picked up more citrus and pine on the nose. As soon as you drink it you get a very quick flash of sweetness and then pine sap, tree like bitterness mixed in with that citrusy grapefruit flavor just hits the middle of your tongue and lasts long on the back end of the tongue. Wow... what a beer. This is a more pungent version of their regular IPA.

They have similar tastes but this one comes out with more of a grapefruit smell taste and bitterness but still holds the same citrus pine like character as the regular Stone IPA has. The lasting bitterness can really prove this IPA or double IPA is really the real deal here. When everyone talks about American IPA this should be the very first one they mention. This is a hop bomb but thats not to say theres some malty full body sweetness in there which there is at the very beginning of the sip. You can't even detect the alcohol on this one either because of the pungent hops. This is my favorite bitter IPA of all time.

This brew changed my life. Bought a bottle blind, took it camping with my GF, chilled it all day until we hit the campsite. Started building a fire and remembered I had it chilling. Poured it into a glass, took a sip and swooned! She grabbed the glass from me, tasted it and asked me what was I going to drink! After that first taste it was a no-brainer...had to get more. So sad that they retired it and reformulated the Ruination. Ive had the reformulated and I prefer the original.

Poured from 22oz bottle into tall , wide pilsner glass.

A...pours a clear, deep yellow with a perfectly white 2 finger head.

S...lots of pine right up front with some citrus behind it. Smells great.

T...HOPS! If you were to eat pot, I think this is what it might taste like. Very hoppy, bold flavor that cuts out quick with such bitterness giving way to a malt backbone. Not really balanced, more like you get to taste the individual flavors of the beer one at a time. Citrus and bitter hops most present.

M...perfect amount of carbonation. Couldn't be better.

O...this really lived up to the hype. I was worried that I would be dissapointed because I expected too much. I was wrong. This is a perfect example of what an IPA should be. High quality, great flavor. All around great beer. I will look forward to my next Ruination.

Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing