Ruination IPA | Stone Brewing

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Ratings: 10,862 |  Reviews: 3,083
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

OK, so we've all seen the stupid ad on television about "bitter beers" and what that Brand X says, "bitter is bad." Well, if bitter is bad, that Brand X better check out Stone Brewery of San Diego County with their red hot lineup of wicked (that's good) bitter beers. We've all heard of Arrogant Bastard and its cousin the Double Bastard, but don't let the Ruination IPA slip you by,

Damn - this one is bitter - but here, bitter is BETTER. Sold in a traditional the 22oz bottle (650ml for us Canadian folk) this whopper of an IPA is set at an unheard of 100+ IBUs -- as George Carlin would say, "that'd knock a buzzard off a S****-wagon!!" This really is a truly remarkable beer. Not only do they hit what may be the highest hop factor in an ale, they do so with such elegant ease, ensuring that the aroma, texture, and taste of this beer hits its mark each and every time.

Pours a rich golden hue with suitably large head -- something that never really sits less than 1/6" high. Lacing is superb along the entire glass, so much so, that the lacing once there, won't budge until you have finished your beer and are ready to clean the glass.

An extremely bitter aroma, almost overwheling, but not quite. Incredible mossy tones with heavy accents of pine throughout, plus some accents of a fruity complexture. As for the taste, it closely mirrors what is found in the aroma -- heavy but well balanced hops with an incredibly long aftertaste -- something that has yet to be paralleled from any brewer on either side of the Atlantic.

I first poured this one, and started drinking it straight from the fridge. It was almost overwheling at that point, but as the beer heated up closer to room temperature, its incredibly robust characteristics really started to shine. With such striking characteristics, one is forewarned to keep Ruination IPA as your final drink of the night because it lives up to its billing -- "by the time you develop a taste for this beer, you may find that you are permanently ruined from being able to enjoy lesser brews!"

4.54/5  rDev +5.6%

Copper in color, small whiteish head, good lacing. After the pour, the aroma filled the room with hoppy goodness. Pine & citrus greet the nose, and entice you to tip the glass and take a swig. Once in the mouth, the hops dominate the palate, coating the tongue with a thick, resiny, oily goodness. Citrus, pine, and maybe some cedar planking in there. Hops overpower the malt, leaving it a little unbalanced, but that is what I have had a taste for lately, it seems. A very large IPA, to say the least.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks again to John Neil for delivering the goods from downtown Ohio.

Anxiously anticipated. Would it be too extracted? Actually, the hops in this beer may be more finely integrated than in the regular Stone IPA. No brushed metal drop-off on the finish. Deep, dark majestic bronze color suggests the reason. There is plenty of malt in this baby. Not as ruinously bitter as Rogue's I2PA IMO, and better for it. Lots of cedar, cigarbox-like aromas and flavors. Weighty and long. This is more of a marinade for the skull than a beer...

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Wow!!! I have finally gotten ahold of the Ruination IPA, and I feel that there is so much anticipation behind the rating of this beer. First of all, I love this style and equally important it is brewed by Stone. IMO Stone brewing is revolutionary from the Bastard to the Smoked Porter. So, here it goes, the beer is poured into an official Stone Brewing Co. Pint glass leaving about two fingers of head. A deep copper goldish tint is the hue that this beer represents. As the gargoyle on the bottle stares at me, I attempt my first sip of this creation. WIth my first gulp, I took a deep breath to absorb all of the hop aroma that engulfed my senses. The hop aroma is a floral, citrusy, and earthy mixture of wonderful hops, with a sharp sweetness to the nose it bitters as it splashes down on my tongue with the welcoming bitterness (100 + IBU's) a trace of sweet maltiness tags along to balance out the beer to become a masterpiece. On the back of this bottle there is a warning of the what this beer can do to the palate. I agree that it is hilarious, and that I would not start out with this beer at tasting event. However, it is not to overwhelming for my tastes.... I love hops. If this beer and the Dogfish Head 90 min IPA were tried side by side a lot would be confused about which be was delivering which flavor. I think they are both sickeningly yet amazingly hoppy, yet I think I prefer the 90 min IPA. Definitely amazing a must try for all beer advocates.

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Incredible looking bottle. A bright orange-yellow body, with just a hint of chill haze perhaps, topped by a frothy "just-off-white" head. The aroma is stunning. I popped the bottle and poured half. The citrus and pine coming from an arms length away is mind boggling. Inhale deeply and the cold you didn't know you had clears away. Taste: I'm sure there is malt in there somewhere, I just haven't stopped to look for it yet. Wait there it is. The sweet malt rolls in first, to set up a wall of sandbags before the hop explosion follows. Grapefruit, pine, even some lemon. This is not a "chugger", it is more of a hearty mouthfull, and then pause and reflect.

Many thanks to Gusler, my secret Santa, for the bottle.
Many thanks to Greg, the Arrogrant Bastard, for making the stuff.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

The beer pours from the bottle a luminous deep copper color with a massive off white head and huge thick sticky sheets of lace to cover the glass. "Oh that smell" To quote Lynard, "Tis hops" that greets your nose, chased by a bit of malt and a lemon-lime crispness, quite a “Hoot”. A tad sweet at the start and the top middling in mouth feel with the finish survigrously hopped with a hard-hitting acidity and a devastatingly dry hop bitter aftertaste. Haven't tasted this much hops since I took a sip of "Hop Oil", which is also a “Hoot” if you have not seen or tried it.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

WOW. I don't think I can do this one justice or add to what has already been said, but this is one big, bad, malty, insanely hoppy, kick-ass beer that has everything I love in beer. When you pour this mother out, you can tell it is thick and malty and will have the mouthfeel of syrup. The grapefruity, floral, earthy, and herbal hop aromas can be smelled from across the room. After I poured my first pint, my roomate asked if I had been brewing earlier, and said he could smell the hops as soon as he walked in the room. The flavor of this beer is the closest I have come to heaven. The hop flavors are demanding of your attention by hitting you in the face as well as exhibiting some complex subleties. I detect some grapefruit flavors, pineapple, and pine needles in the hop profile. The bitterness is there but not as bad as you would think because the ultra sweet malt sure subdues it. The malt background is sweet like molasses with some buttery and butterscotch flavors that seem to melt in your mouth. All in all a greatly complex beer that is so drinkable for all of its bigness. All other beers taste like water in comparison.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a dense, cloudy reddish amber color with nice frothy head. The aroma is hoppy, floral - rather subtle considering the blast of hops one gets when tasting it. This is a big beer, wonderfully balanced. Despite the high hoppiness, the hops never seem overbearing and seem nicely balanced with the slightly fruity background. Dense, creamy mouthfeel is superb. I think it's very drinkable, but be wary of the alchohol content. Creeps up on you after a few.

4.6/5  rDev +7%

Ridiculously over the top beers are kind of a pet peeve of mine, as they're usually not very good, but this one works. The head, carbonation, and mouthfeel of this beer are just exceptional. The taste is indescribeable. It's endlessly complex and delicious. I recall reading a reviewer comparing the taste of this to and english meadow. That's really what this reminds me of, although it's been a while since I've grazed at an English meadow. Go out and try this!

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Okay here's a test for a beer. Bit of a headcold. Olfactory nerves barely functional. Taste buds not doing much better. I should have waited for a more opportune time to crack open the Ruination but I simply could not resist. First of all, is there a brewery with better packaging and narrative on the bottle? I don't think so. The beer pours golden and slightly cloudy with a big thick head with major staying power. The head thickly laces the pint glass all the way down. Despite my headcold that lovely pungent hop aroma makes it through. And from the first taste I know I'm drinking something special. A little tart, a little sharp. The taste evolves and transitions as it works its way over the tonque and down the throat. Ripe melon to grapefruit. Beautiful citrus and herbal notes. Nicely dry and very, very hoppy but in my view not over-hopped. A true hophead, I have never tasted an overhopped beer. It's an abstract concept to me. As I finish my Ruination I can feel my sinuses clear a bit. My sense of taste and smell renewed. What a lovely curative is Ruination!

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%

Ahhhh...this just in....this Stone Brewery Rocks!!!...What an awesome drinkable hopped up IPA....After reading the label I damn near thought my mouth was going to be in flames moments after pouring this nectar down my throat....but surprisingly this is a highly drinkable 100+ IBU IPA loaded with flavor, aroma, and character....

Let's start with the nose...a strong citrus aroma is present with some subtle pine needle notes as well....the aroma is like an invitation to what sounds like a kick-ass party....and the flavor (the party itself) is everything the aroma (invitation) promised..

I get a real solid citrus flavor...exactly the type of hop flavor I'm looking for in an IPA..Juicy...and almost sweetish...only on the very long finish do I get a whiff of bitterness from the hops...I'm not sure on the hops but there has to be some Cascade and maybe Amarillio as well....just an awesome hop flavor but quitely balanced by what must be a good malt load because this is not unbalanced on my buds...it is just simply scrumptious....I can hardly put the glass down as I drink...this is what hops are all about...my hat is tipped once again to Stone for a tremendous beer....I wish I had 3 or 4 more of these tonight but then it wouldn't be just my hat that would be tipped...If you like hops you will love this beer...very drinkable and very, very tasty...

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

22 oz bottle, pours a bright copper color, nice foamy head, clings to my glass, intense citrusy aroma, the smell makes my nose tingle, all hops. Nice thick with a full mouthfeel, hoppy as hell, still has alot of malt balance, very good, I want more.

4.52/5  rDev +5.1%

The hue falls somewhere between amber and copper, but has a distinctive glowing orange presence about it as well. A thin sticky off-white head leaves some very nice lace patterns down the walls of my glass. The nose is a virtual hop garden. Floral, spicy, slightly piney, but mostly oily, pungent and resiny. Very nice. The first thing I notice up front on the buds is the bitterness. What a bite. I love it. After that, I notice other hop attributed characteristics: pungency, oilyness, citrus, pine, and to a slighter extent, orange rind. Malt profile really takes a background in this beer. Moreso than any of the other IPAs I've had from Stone. Seems to be around only for balance as I have a hard time picking up any distinctive malt tastes on my palate. This beer is truly all about the hops. Nice firm body of about medium-full. For a beer of this IBU caliber, the drinkability is good.

Let's face it. Stone is one of the best "Big Beer" producers around. And this beer does that reputation justice.

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

I really like IPA's and this one only emphasizes that fact. Once you start to really like the bitterness of hops, you just can't get enough and Ruination doesn't disappoint. An extremely balanced IPA despite the fact that it rings in at 100 IBU's in the bitterness department. Full, rich and yes, you can taste malt here. No, the malt isn't a big player, but it rings the hops down to the point that they aren't as overwhelming as you are expecting. Began the bomber inside and finished while grilling steaks outside in 35 degree temperatures. Delicious. Thanks Murph for the sample.

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a clear copper with a small head. Floural aroma hops are the first thing you notice. There is something else in the smell that is a bit odd, but doesn't turn you off. Not as powerful of a taste as I expected, but still very well balanced. At over 100 IBU's you can imagine that the aftertaste stays for awhile!

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a beautiful clear copper with a touch of chill haze. Impressive white foam, which settled to 1/4 inch and remained for the duration. Nose is full of floral hops and a touch of bubblegum-like sweetness. Some carmel malt in the flavor, some sweetness, and a ton of in-your-face bitterness. Very carbonated, slightly rough mouthfeel with a meduim body. The bitterness is nicely balanced with sweetness, making this a very drinkable brew. A very solid IPA.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Noble hop profile, rich and full bodied bliss. Delightful vanilla/honey and complex floral aromas. Inviting and well centered A-IPA. The label acts as a intimidator, but dont be fooled. Many like-characteristics with Ruination and Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA. Ruination being slightly superior. My advice to anyone who enjoys the IPA, sample this. First class.

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a nice orange/amber color with a moderate white head. Big time hops, all the way through, this stuff is excellent, citrusy, floral, hop city. Thank you Xlperro. This stuff is an all time favorite of mine!

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

As for as IPA's go, this is the bomb. Great stuff. Pours a nice deep golden color. Great hop punch. One of the finest IPA's I have had although it is a bit strong and may not be the beer you want to drink all night. Another great beer from Stone.

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%

Good but not what this hophead expected after I read the label. Poured IMO a more of a golden pale ale color with almost no head. The aroma was hoppy and only hoppy but not overwhelming. It had the bitter hop tatse but a very boring one, the character of this beer was the same from the first sip to the last. I would drink it again but there are many other IPA's out there that put this one to shame............CHEERS

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a nice reddish orange color and formed a nice bubbly off white head and left some nice bubbly circular lace. A decent amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of hops, citrus and some floral aspects. The flavor is of hops and citrus with a slight hint of herb. The finish is light and just a touch bitter and extremely astrigent. Not quite as hoppy as their other IPA. A great IPA and another new aquistition for Ohio beeradvocates!

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance: Pours with a beautiful, ultra-clear, copper-orange color. Leaves a good sized head that goes down a bit throughout the drinking of the 22oz bottle. Not to worry though...a quick swirl of the glass brings it back up, and it stays this time.

Smell: Wow...this beer has the most powerful hop aroma I've ever experienced. Amazing. I didn't smell for long...I HAD to taste this brew...

Taste: If you think the aroma is full of hops, you're in for quite a surprise! Full-bodied hop flavor...pine, floral, grapefruit, citrus, you name it, it's in there. The hop flavor is overwhelming if you're not used to such a powerful brew. My tastebuds are actually getting numb as I kill this bottle. There's a good malt background, but you really have to search for it. Drinking this beer after all the others I've tried is akin to going from black and white television to full digital color! It's so full of flavor and so aggressive and complex!

Mouthfeel: Impressive. Very impressive. Goes down with a medium mouthfeel, but again the hops take over and remind what kind of beer you're drinking.

Drinkability: Hmmm...this is probably the only area where this beer suffers. It's truly an amazing beer, easily one of the best I've encountered in my many years of 'better beer' drinking. However, I can't imagine putting away pint after pint of this brew...it's simply too powerful. I thought I had tried some hoppy beers, only to be sucker-punched by this outstanding example!

To sum up, this is one of the most incredible beers I've ever tasted. Given that it's my first brew from Stone Brewing, I can't wait to try more...I've got a couple more of their beers in my fridge and it's taking all of my self-control to stop myself from trying them right now! My highest recommendation!

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Heard a lot about this, and found out that my local beer shop sold it. A huge 1pt 6 fl.oz brown bottle. The bottle is screen printed in gold and dark green which is different, and has a kind of potted history of the beer on the back of the Bottle.
Poured with a huge head, which proceeded to slowly recede, leaving an explosion of lace on the side of the glass. A lovely pale golden color when held up to my PC monitor, but curiously it had an orange tinge when held up to a nearby lamp (its 7:45pm when I drink this). The nose is extremely floral and has a profusion of botanical elements. Reminded me of a cross between a freshly mown English Cricket Pitch and Kentish Hopfields during harvesting, with a smidgeon of the local Supermarket fresh fruit counter aromas thrown in for good measure. Gorgeous hop tastes that punch right at the back of the throat and proceed to shadow box your tonsils. Has some grapefruityness dangling in the middle. But this is not overpowering for me, I like beers with plenty of hops – and this certainly has them. It is a very well-balanced hopped beer. Long bitter finish that really teases me to grab the Glass for the next “fix”. One of the very best IPA’s I have ever had. Only draw-back – it’s strong, and I could only drink say two or three of these. Drinkability for the style is very high though. Wow.
AWESOME Beer with more Hops than a One-Legged Tap-Dancer…
… and a whole 22 fl.oz Bottle to myself.
No more Beer Reviews for me tonight !!!!!.
Described as “A liquid poem to the glory of the hop” – Yep!

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Ruination: I hunkered down, waiting to be overwhelmed with hops, but was not (see red felt ale for over the top hops). Despite the typically humorous claims on the label, this IPA is much more than hops. Actually the aroma is very floral, and the taste is very well balanced, with lots of sweet malts to balance out what is clearly a well hopped beer. This beer is significantly more complex than I expected, and easier to drink. Very well made, enjoyable.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Hazy, golden-orange with a foamy ivory head that holds extremely well and leaves brilliant lace. The aroma is boldly full of citrusy, grassy and earthy hops including flavors of grapefruit and pineapple. The flavor is also boldy full of citrusy, grassy and earthy hops including flavors of orange, peach, and tangerine. But there is also some distinct, sweet caramel malt present beneath the hops. This beer is big! Truly an assault on the senses! INTENSE. RICH. FULL. Definitely a "one beer" beer - especially in the 22 ounce bottle! And yet it's balanced with enough sweet malt that you don't fall over with "bitterface"! However, the alcohol might get you to fall over at a full 7.7% by volume. Astonishing! However, it should be noted - as it is on the back of the bottle - that this is for the "matriculated imbiber". Albsolutely worth searching out for the hop head.

Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing