Stone Ruination IPA | Stone Brewing

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Reviews: 3,069 | Ratings: 10,817
3.85/5  rDev -10%

With the pour, the beer was a cloudy burnt, copper color. A thick stubborn head formed on the beer. The lace was weak and would quickly slide back into the beer.The carbonation was very active, it was a hectic rising of bubbles in the glass. The hops are biting and sweet. There are tones of sour apples as well--a good sour apple taste. Very good and very hoppy.

3.82/5  rDev -10.7%

Beer pours a beautiful clear amber, with a magnificent eggshell-white head. Good staying power despite scant carbonation.

As the bottle promises, the aroma is all about the hops. Bitter, pungent, fresh hops. Yum.

Taste certainly delivers, in spades! A sharp, acrid, bitter ale, dry on the tongue. Scours every other taste off the palate, no matter what you may have been eating/drinking. Boys and girls, this is not a toy. This is a hop lover's ale - all others need not apply.

I'd offer a mouthfeel but there is none. Liquid hops. finishes fairly clean, but those hops aren't going anywhere.

Stupid me, thinking Stone couldn't hop a beer up any more than they did for their IPA. Personally, this is fun for a lark, but not something I'd put in my regular rotation. Still, Stone continues to impress. They know what they're doing - here's hoping they KEEP doing it.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this out of a 22 oz brown bottle served in a pint glass. The bottle reads " A liquid poem to the glory of the hop !"...and Stone is not kidding.

The appearance was a somewhat cloudy orange. Significant head on this brew with awesome lacing on the sides of the pint glass.

This beer provides an intense smell of hops and some wiffs of toasted malt.

This Stone Ruination IPA is all about the hop character and then some. I'm tasting herbs, subtle sweet flavors, hops and a tasty smooth finish. Another potent beer from Stone at 7.7% ABV. As with the Stone Arrogant Bastard, this beer raises the bar for American IPA's.

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a cloudy well carbonated orange-amber, topped with a two finger rocky white head. Leaves wide puffy bands of lacing.
Citrus and floral aroma, leather, oranges, a bit of honey, leafy and a smack of pine needles.
Citrus taste, orange and grapefruit, some malty sweetness shows through all the hop. Oak and pine, very bitter.
Medium bodied, but oilyness makes it feel fuller. I still like the regular stone IPA better.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Picked up a growler of this a few days ago... mmm, fresh.

Makes a fluffy white head, with a nice pale golden body, nice lacing on the glass. Nice floral aromatics, piney hops, sweet malts, very balanced nose. Starts out bitter as f*ck, then enter sweetness and piney flavor, its yummy. Bitter dry finish, alcohol is there but not overdone. Medium body coats the mouth nicely and leaves a light sticky reside on the throat. This one is spot on, the ABV is just right in that you could enjoy a few of these and not completely leave yourself face down, dick in the dirt. Praise Stone.

Amen.

3.86/5  rDev -9.8%

Ok,

Maybe it's just me and Imperial IPA's, but I've yet to meet one I've liked more than my favorite standard IPA's, and this one's no exception.

Pours a cloudy orange-amber with little-to-no head and some sticky lacing that chases the beer as it recedes.

The nose is grapefruit with an intriguing undercurrent of musky apple. The musky apple comes out stronger when agitated. Very interesting aroma.

First hit on the palate, like most I-IPAs, is all hops. Immediate impression is of a general lack of balance. If there's malt in these waters, it doesn't have a prayer of showing itself until the 4th or 5th sip. Once the hops settle down a bit (they never settle all the way down) it actually reminded me a bit of Hopdevil, which remains my personal favorite. Too bad, though, it's only a fleeting memory because Ruination never lets up enough on the Hops to make it terribly drinkable.

Aftertaste is at once bitter hops and, interestingly again, musky apple. Not bad at all.

By no means a bad beer. And, if you're a big fan of I-IPA's, you'll probably love it.

Wyll-

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

from notes fall of 03
I just had to know what 100+ IBUs is like. I tend to like hops so i didn't think the bitterness would be an issue, and it wasn't. This poured a lot lighter than i expected, almost the color of a belgian pale ale, but with a very nice head. The smell was pure hops. I love that smell. I swear it clears the sinuses like spicy food. The taste does not mess around. It is hops, hops and more hops. I would not say this is the most balanced beer every, but i don't think that is what they were going for. Good mouthfeel from the sharp bitterness and good carb. I thought this was fairly drinkable. All in all very good. I enjoyed it, but i wouldn't say it ruined me.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

This beer reminded me a lot of hopped honey. They color was kinda honeyish with a good light creamy head. Good retention. Smelled wonderfully like sweet fresh American hops. A balance of a few fruits - oranges and grapefruits with a little peach. Flavor was sweet and full-bodied, very honeyish, with a lot of the same hop flavors. In addition, there seemed to be some crushed Smarties(those little compressed sugar candies) in there. The flavor was very nice, but only developed half-way. After the initial flavor it started to change and then it was like somebody hit pause and everything stayed the same. The flavor that stayed in my mouth was almost as strong as when the beer was there. There is something to be said about a finish so strong, but I would more flavor evolution would have made it more complex. Hoppy stone beers always leave me with a feeling that sugar-coated hops are stuck to my teeth. Strange. And the bodies of their beers are neat and distinct, but almost fake in a way, like a plastic thickness.
Overall very impressive and idiosyncratic.

3.12/5  rDev -27.1%

Been working on this bottle for almost 45 minutes. About four ounces left in the goblet. Drinking this beer has been a very interesting experience. Excitement filled me as the beautiful orange liquid filled my glass. Reaked of hops and nothing else, pleasant. Once in the mouth the hops became biting. Gripping my mouth and throat all the way. I've always thought hops were my friend. Never would imagine there ever being too much of them. A glimpse of pure bliss that is swiftly destroyed by the crushing force of bitterness drawn out into eternal cottonmouth.

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

This is hop-tea. This is serious. This is enough to make the Arrogant Bastard run home crying to his mother. It was served to me in a pint glass and was a lighter shade of orange-amber with an inch of fuzzy off white head. I didn't need to put my nose near it to smell the hops. This thing OOZES hops. The smell is overpowering; sharp citric flavors, grapefruit and mango, pine and spruce, and uh, hops. The taste numbs your gums. This is insanely hoppy, not necessarily bitter, although its listed as 100+ IBU. Dry finish of lightly toasted malts. Not too heavy on the tongue, and you can't tell the ABV on account of the fact that you can't discern anything except hops. After about half the pint, I found myself happily gluggin away because I was too numb to let the hops bother me. This is an experience for sure, and it is really only for the most extreme of hopheads. If I could find this in a bottle, I would lay it down for 10 years and see what sort of phoenix would rise from the hop-ashes. It's a big boy.

Update: 1.5 years in the cellar has made this incredible. Finally, the hops have blossomed into an expansive bouquet and the malt pairs well. This is so good, they should release this like Port wine, just so you don't get a fresh one and burn your tongue off. Scores adjusted to reflect the excellence that is cellaring this beer.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Well a fruitfly poured out of mine. It was still alive and was walking on top of the head, so I know it wasn't bottled originally. It was a reddish golden color with a small head. Citrusy hop aroma, and the taste was dominated by hops. A big beer from Stone!

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

Serving 22 OZ bottle. This is a mighty fine hopped up ale. Pours a nice rich amber color. A nice descent head forms and stays. The smell is a mixture of fruit and hops. The taste is very good: nice and hoppy. If you enjoy Stone IPA then this is a beer to search out and enjoy.

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

There is a god and he goes by the name of Ruination IPA. This is an incredible beer all down the board. It pours a sunset looking orange with sappy colors. The head is a slight mocha/white head that is incredible to look at. The smell is a strong citrus smell and the hops will blow your nose off. The malt is there and it adds a nice sweet fruity nose to the aroma. The taste is a hop overload, the bitterness will strike at first but then the sweet almost molasses and fruit will take over and balance out this beer. You can taste a tad bit of alcohol and grain but it is hardly noticeable with the amount of hops in this IPA. Feels medium bodied and smooth and creamy in the mouth, I would drink this any chance I got, this could be the best beer I've ever put to my mouth, yeah it is that good. Stone has just went from a great brewing company to an immortal brewing company in my eyes with this beer.

4.79/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a clear amber with a small white head but leaves a fine white lace in the glass. The smell of the hops is immediately noticeable with a citrus alomst pine aroma.

The initial taste is decidedly hops, hop, hops! Then some more hops. A little malt balance then becomes apparent along with the alcohol. This should be on the hopheads top ten list of regular beers to keep on hand.

One of the good ones.

Alrightie kiddies, this is it. This is the end of all things beer. I'm so close to giving this beer a five but the lack of a proper head- Then again, it does leave the most delicate lacing on my tulip glass and the bubbles along the side are like soap, and the clearness of the light orangish copper brew are begging me to. It just leaps at you, kind of mysteriously. But must resist because I thought I'd never five a beer. Must resist. Must resist.

There is this wonderfully hoppy aroma, like opening a bag of hops and just inhaling. But it's not harsh like someother hoppy beers, just pleasant and slightly malty with maybe, just maybe the alcohol hinting through. Or is it just the alpha acids reciting their poetry?

The taste. The taste is Mon Dieu. It's like an unholy overtaking of the tongue, assauting it with the hop until beaten into submission and left with the most deliciously bitter tongue known to man. Yeah, the malt is in there somewhere, you can taste it, but the real star is the hop. It's piney, oh is it piney, with a fleeting taste of perhaps oak, not a huge amount of citrus, but this is after all a west coast IPA.

Smooth mouthfeel. I love how Stone has this carbonation that just feels like it's almost not there. It's so non-intrusive. Drinkability. Screw the ABV. I would drink this all night with no regrets. As for the tongue replacement surgery, we'll deal with that later...

The first time I had this last December, I knew after the first sip that I was destined to be a hophead. My brother-in-law and I looked at each other and yelled "Awww, yeaaah!" And it's been too long since I've had this. Here's to Stone and here's to the glory of the Hop. This is truly a miraculous beer. Even my burps taste good!

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

Ah, Ruination. From the name to the artwork, the sight of this bottle warms my heart. This is a beer that I can't believe I haven't reviewed yet. It's also the beer that but Stone on a pedestal in my world.

Pours a crystal clear deep orange with a rocky white head.

Smell is wonderful. If fills the nostrils and the Pavlovian response kicks in. Citrus, pine and a hint of carmel malt worm into the nose and bore into the depths of the mind. Gimme, gimme, gimme.

Taste is exceptional. Citrus and pine hops fight for your attention and pine almost always comes out on top. Nearly puckering in hoppiness, this beer doesn't lose sight of malt. These hops stick around long after the malt is gone. I mean the *stick* around, like duct tape. Every bit of the 7.7 ABV is utilized here, warming as it goes.

It's perky in the mouth, nicely carbonated and light -- not fairy light but "walk towards the light" light.

Drinkable? Pshhhaaa. You kiddin' me? This is nectar. This is expansive. THIS is a damn fine contribution to humanity.

Expand your world. Before you die, you must have this beer.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

Finally, Premier Gourmet is carrying Stone brews.

This one let out a strongly sweet aroma as soon as the cap was bent; notes of honey and floral hops. Taking a deep breath above the glass results in an almost medicinal, solvent smell.

Pours out a rich amber, with decent lacing from a thin head.

Taste: A hop monster indeed, but one of stealth and precision. I was expecting a huge pine and citrus bludgeon; instead this stays lightly sweet and flowery with a stilletto of bitterness that is felt rather than tasted. Floral hops prevail (an understatement), followed by just a hint of citrus and honey-like malt. Only well into the aftertaste does this dry a bit; but it has none of the sticky mouthfeel typical of IPAs. Seemingly minutes after the hops stop tingling, alcohol fleets in the shadows.

Opens the sinuses, attacks the upper cheeks with that "zing" sensation; I feel myself getting warm but continue to sip, a willing victim. Macro drinkers would assume they had swallowed a weapon of mass destruction...only the most devoted hop heads need apply here.

4.07/5  rDev -4.9%

A double IPA experience. Great floral pine citrus smell. Nice dark orange color. Cellared for a couple of months, and found balanced in bitterness and only a bit hoppy. Was interesting with heavy meal. Had it 4.5 years later and its supurb bitterness was apparent.

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

Golden and well headed. Thick lacing with what looks like orange pulp.

Nice citrusy stench.

How many kinds of hops are there? Does this beer have them all? Starts citrus, ends piney. Good begining, middle and end. Just can't describe it.

Good n' tart. Starts with smooth citrus and rolls in with the pine blast. Ends with a cheeck pucker hopheads dream of.

Suprisingly easy to drink for such a big beer. The good ol' hoppy cheek pucker, but not nearly as over the top as the taste.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

The ruination is a wonderful brew; it pours a light amber with a reasonably thick off-white head. The lacing is slick and spotty. There's lots of citrusy hops and cedar sweetness with a touch of honey malts, quite similar to its younger sibling, the regular Stone IPA. The mouthfeel is medium thin, and the taste is deliciously intricate: hoppy, a bit of syrup undertow, and with good tight bitternesss at the finish. Not as potent as the Dreadnaught or the I2PA, but you still get a clear sense of high alcohol in the taste.

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

Light amber bordering on yellow with a delicate white head. Some lace. Smell was very good with bitter notes and a syrupy estery undertow. Taste was much more subdued than I was expecting from Stone. In fact I think this beer was less abrasive to the pallette than the regular Stone IPA. Up front was that syrupy Double IPA sweetness, which morphed into a more piney bitter taste, but towards teh finsh and aftertaste was a serious toasty flavor more akin to a british beer or a softer New England IPA. This holds its own and is a good beer, but I will stick to the IPA.

3.52/5  rDev -17.8%

sampled this in a bomber complements of nvsblman...on to the review.

Appearance: Pours pale orange/yellow amber with an airy white head that laces very well.

Aroma: Hops, hops and more hops. I detect a bit of honey in the nose, but mostly a piney hop aroma. Alcohol present as well in the background.

Taste: Again hops on the tongue. More citrus apparent in the flavor than in the aroma. Tastes almost like a traditional sunday morning breakfast I had as a kid: grapefruit with a bit of honey on top to sweeten it up a bit. Not enough of a malt backbone, though, the thin body takes the tast down a bit.

Mouthfeel: Body is a bit light for the amount of alcohol and hops present.

Drinkability: Definitely feel the alcohol hit you, due to the lighter body. I don't recommend drinking this on an empty stomach (bad idea). But, I would get it again if I saw it on the shelf (and I prefer it to the other Stone brew I've had so far: Arrogant Bastard).

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

The beer pours a nice golden color with a thick creamy white head; beautiful. The aroma is great! It has a nice mild malt scent with an intense floral hop arrangement. The aroma hits you as soon as you pop the top. The taste is great as well. It has a rich pale malt core with some light crystal malts. The hop flavor is very nice. It is extremely bitter and piney. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a great drinking beer. It is quite complex and full of flavor. It goes down easy and finishes very bitter; a fine sessions beer.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

bomber bottle, pours orange/golden/amber. Creamy, tiny bubble head and alot of lacing. Nose is powerful, mega hops. I am a hop head, but I'm amazed to say that I've found a beer that IMHO is TOO hoppy...Its out of balance, but obvioulsy balance was not the goal here. Tasty, high quality stuff w/o a doubt, but this ones not for me. I'd rather drink and savor one of Stones other creations

Re-review 11-06, PLEASE, what was I thinking? After a trip to SD and many more DIPAs I now realize the beauty of Ruination...bring on the over the top hops! More SD style DIPAs for me, please!

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Recently sampled the Stone IPA and now it's time to face the legendary Ruination. Here goes.

Pours orange-amber with a 1 inch bubbly head.

Knock out piney hops aroma. God it's hard to hold back. Focus. Focus. Some grapefruit in there as well. No real alcohol noticable.

Oh man, full body, very little carbonation. Very smooth, especially for an IPA. Ravaging hoppiness. Almost oppressive piney flavors with a delicious bitterness pushing its way through as well. Light grapefruit flavors compete for space, but pine dominates. Alcohol is well hidden, better than most IIPA's. I am breathing hops, absolutely nuts. Finally winds down and finishes with a dry bitterness.

The bottle doesn't lie, my palate is gone. No more good beer for me tonight. This is bar none the greatest IPA I've ever had. Fantastic!

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing