Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Reviews: 3,069 | Ratings: 10,814
4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

This is what a massive IPA should be. This beer is delicious... Heed the bottle's warning label though, this is a beer for the dedicated hop-head only.

Appearance is very, very good - an almost glowing light amber color. Full of promise. The aroma is out of this world. Like Hop perfume! Taste is almost indescribably goood. Unlike other big-hop beers, there is no competition among the hops for taste or character. The hops in this brew are all singing the same, wonderful song. Very well done indeed. Mouthfeel is refreshing, smooth and zesty. As you may have guessed, I had no problems drinking this beer down either. I could easily have several over some pool or darts. (If only distro was a bit better for Stone in my neck of the woods.) A truely exceptional brew!

This beer is the stuff of dreams for any dedicated hop head, such as myself. What a glorious experience indeed. The body is liquid gold, with an inch and a half thick head that crowns atop it. The carbonation in the underlying liquid is picture perfect, and the thick body slows the ascent of the tiny bubbles down noticeably. The head recedes down to a quarter inch in height, but never completely fades. Lacing is excellent as the beer goes into me.

The aroma is like being airdropped into a pine forest. The cascade hops assault the palette with their pine resin like quality from the first sip. The flavors of grapefruit, butterscotch, peach, pear, and sour apple are also evident as let the beer lap my tounge.

On most other IPAs the hop burps are the last thing to enjoy after the beer, but here, they come after just a few sips. The malt backbone is quite solid indeed, but is only there to hold up the hops. The alcohol is in there somewhere, but under the blanket of hops you never taste it, until your head starts spinning. The mouthfeal is creamy, and the drinkability is so good, it is scary.

For me this is the pinnacle of the art of brewing. A beer this good does not come around often. Every beer lover should try this at least once. If you are not a hop head before, this beer may well convert you into one. Thank God, Liquid Solutions ships to Georgia. This beer will be on my shopping list during the next beer run to Chattanooga. And when that dreaded ABV cap is lifted, it will be hard to pick up anything else when I see Ruination on the shelves.

4.89/5  rDev +14.3%

Purchased a 22oz bomber from Bacchus in Chattanooga. I could barely wait to get this thing home and chilled so I could try it. Also had to try to not be intimidated as this is the first Imperial IPA I've tried.

As soon as I begin the pour I'm immediately greeted by a luscious floral, citrusy hops aroma. Enough to make my mouth water. If this is a sign of whats to come then I know I'm in for a treat.

The appearance is golden-yellow in color, with minimal head or lacing to speak of. Carbonation is slight and small. On closer inspection of the scent, I am barely able to detect any malt smell at all. Just that beautiful mixed citrus blossom hop aroma.

On the first sip those hops just dance around my tongue, from the front to the back working their magic.I can feel the warmth of alcohol ever so slightly at the back of my throat. The pine bitterness is much more noticable in the taste than the smell of this delicious brew. Every sip I can feel the flavor working its magic on the different sensory areas of my tongue, registering sharply on the sides. Mouthfeel is perfect for the style, clinging ever so slightly inside my mouth; just long enough to bite in and gyrate and then go down smoothly.

What can I say? This beer is definately one of the best I've tasted so far! The sensation is hard to describe but every mouthful has a diversity that just gels together so well which makes this brew a joy to partake of.

I'll have to quote the bottle on this one: "A liquid poem to the glory of the hop!"

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

Presenation- 22 once brown bottle with Stone's usual snobby coments on the back

Appearance- Pours a white two finger head that laces slightly and sticks around throughout the drink. The beer is a very light orangish-amber with a slight haze.

Smell- Hops, all hops.

Taste- Starts with a slight malt sweetness. Ends very dry with a big bitter hop bite that lingers in the back of the throat and almost forces you to take another drink. As the beer warms, the hop character becomes too much. Mouthfeel is light to moderate and very good.

I would have been more impressed with this beer if it hadn't psyched me out with the cocky back label. The label entices but also takes some of the mystique away form the brew.

4.92/5  rDev +15%

Pours golden orange in color with a tremendous frothy white head that coats the walls of the glass with spider webs of sticky lace as it ever so slowly dissipates. Nose is very floral and pungent hops with notes of pine, cedar, and a bit of fresh citrus—quite sniffable. Even from the first sip, the bitter hops are an assault upon all your taste buds—acidic grapefruit rind blended with pine oils followed by raw hop leaves and slick hop resins that coat the entire inside of your mouth and throat and do not go away until you take another drink. Once the initial bite of the hops subsides a bit, some notes of juicy citrus fruit and sweet malt are also noticeable. An absolutely exceptional IPA. The warning on the bottle that your palate will be completely “ruined” after you drink is quite true; so since I am currently unable to taste anything else, what am I to do? (Except to have another Ruination, of course.) Purchased from Liquid Solutions.

4.29/5  rDev +0.2%

I pour a chilled sample into my glass. This bottle talks a lot about hoppiness and anot being for "non-hopheads". Guess I'll try it anyway. The brew pours orange and slightly hazy, no real head develops just a thin layer of off white bubbles around the edge of my glass. Aroma is all hops, which isnot surprising. I get citrus notes mixed with a floral character and even some earthy scents to. Very diverse hop presence. First sip reveals a prickly carbonation and medium bodied brew. Flavor is similar to aroma with hop dominance, some sour notes make me pucker a little and the finish is very dry and piney, makes me want to take another sip. This is a well made IPA, but I personally wish I could detect some malt character.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Aroma: while the hops waft gently in waves of bitter glory, a solidly sweet malt base backs them. The Cascade hops come through, but there are obviously more varieties as well. It has a slight perfume quality and a touch of spice, vanilla maybe?
Appearance: The slightest haze in this thick looking peach colored beer. The center of my tumbler is slightly darker, more amber, than the yellowier edges. A thick ocean froth head of white creamy bubbles crowns this beauty and streamers of lace reach back toward the lip and paint the lower part of my glass. Kept it’s head about it throughout the beer.
Flavor: Very citric with classic Cascade grapefruit notes, but also some orange and again with the spices, a hint of clove? While this is supposed to be a hop monster, I found it fairly well balanced. Hops definitely show off, and there is no real sign of sweetness, it just doesn’t crush my palate as much as I expected.
Mouthfeel: Triggers an initial chew, but slides right down with a hop oil reminder of its presence. It has a medium-thick body and a slight numbing quality.
Overall Impression: A great beer, no doubts, but as for crushing my palate, this just fell a bit short. In fact, it helped me enjoy a side of Gouda and Sharp Cheddar. I’m thinking I might have gotten an aged bottle, but I’m not sure (no date on bottle). By the way, many thanks go out to weefishheads for helping me acquire this bottle. This is a complex and well-made beer, but I find the Stone IPA to be a bit more hop-intense. Again, could just be my bottle. Regardless, strongly recommended, with or without aging.

3.84/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a nice amber color
Has a thick creamy head, not to much lace.

Like some others, I found that the Bitterness is severly cut by the malt. I had 2 bottles this evening, and honestly, the hop profile, while great, was not the punch in the face that I expected. This is not to say that the beer isn't great ( it is), it is just not as hoppy as I expected from hearing from other about it. This is not to say the hop presence isn't felt, or isn't appreciated, but, like I said, it wasn't the punch in the face I expected. The flavor is not unlike the 60 or 90 min IPA, i has the rich, citrusy hop flavor, wiht a nice balance from the malt profile they got going on here.

The mouhtfeel is nice, meduim in texture, not light enough to pound back relentelessly, but not thick enought to only stomache one.

This is a well put together beer, and merits much more consumption.
Indeeed

4.49/5  rDev +4.9%

Those of us in Chicago aren't lucky enough to have this beer available in the city.

It pours an orangish cloudy amber color with a generous head. Half a glass of head is easily accomplished. Lacing down the "top end" of the glass.

The smell is piney hop scent. B-I-G. Just the smell gets my mouth watering.

The taste is a bit one dimensional, but what a great dimension to behold! HOP HEAVEN.

Mouthfeel is smooth and slick. Full and robust.

I could and will have more than one at a setting. The hops are not so overpowering that you can't have another, no matter what the marketing hype says. Enjoy!

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance: A somewhat chill-hazed deep golden/pale orange body with an initially massive off-white head. It settles down quickly into a more manageable rocky, chunky quarter-inch that lasts throughout the pint.

Smell: Perfect. Starts off with a monstrous spicy hop scent. There’s also a moderate scent of pine oil, with a crisp citrus aroma throughout. Somewhat unusual for the style is the trademark buttery scent of diacetyl, which gives it an almost California Zin property. If there’s a better nose on an IPA out there, I haven’t run across it.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I actually noticed the mouthfeel first, a buttery soft, pillowy marvel no doubt assisted by the hop oil and big (7.7%) ABV. Given everything up to this point, I expected this to be the IPA to end all IPAs, but the taste, while fantastic, isn’t the stuff of legend. You get huge hops, again the buttery diacetyl. But I think they might have chosen a malt with a bit more character; it’s there, it’s sweet, but that’s about that. The finish is surprisingly clean, especially given the 100 IBUs, and the alcohol, while obvious and a bit hot, is blended well with the flavors. So, so close, but not quite that eye-popping, life-changing flavor you dream of.

Drinkability: It depends upon what you mean. Would I drink another? In a heartbeat. Could I drink another? God no. After a hard day on the bike and 22 ounces of this, I almost fell on my face when I stood up. Terrific flavor, but way too big to session.

This is certainly one of the America’s premiere IPAs, simply outstanding. However, it’s not quite perfect. A bit more malt character/balance, and this bad boy will be unstoppable. Highly recommended.

4.59/5  rDev +7.2%

This potent, multi-directional brew pours a hazy honey amber color with a thin off-white head and some patchy lace.
The big aroma is undeniably floral and piney hops. A light sweet malty smell emerges as does a bit of chopped fruit and alcohol fuminess.
There is a solid sweet malty foundation here, with caramel and buttery dough to notice, but this brew is all about HOPS!
White Grapefruit (fresh from the tree), lemon zest, strong pine, oranges and a bit of peppery spice, along with a pungent cannabis bud-like bite awakens and lights up the olfactory senses like no other IPA. A constant alcohol fuminess is there to remind us of the potency of this big brew. I'm Stoned...not that I know what it feels like!

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a bright rich gold with a thick white head. Smell is, you guessed it, all hops. Citrusy (grapefruit mostly) bitter hops. There is no malt aromas that I can pick up.

The fruity bitterness of the hops overpower anything else in the beer. That's not a bad thing. Big bold bitter hops. So strong they almost burn. Damn tasty though. This beer says it will ruin your palate and it means it. You can forget about tasting any other brew for the rest of the evening. Except this one. Pour me another.

4.92/5  rDev +15%

Golden orange pour with a thick head that sticks around for a while. The smell is incredibly hoppy, with lots of sweet pale malt notes. Very fragrant and citrusy, bit of herbal earthiness as well. Taste is awesome. I think I let this one sit just long enough. The hops are not harsh at all, very smooth bitterness, and very complementary of the malts. Pale malt and honey notes, hints of caramel, it is all surrounded and supported by subdued piney-citrusy hops about as perfectly as one could hope. The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, and the beer is very refreshing, and my only complaint is that it could stand to be a bit better carbonated. It's far from flat, but just under what I would subjectively consider perfect. This is definitely on the "Buy Again" list.

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a bright orange color with a medium sized white head. Lots of lacing. The smell is pure hops and the hoppiness almost burns my nose hairs. But the taste brings about much more complexity and shear brillance. Many different hops. The hops start out floral then become bitter then almost a crispy, citric hoppiness finishes. Malt is weak but is definitely needed. The malts seem earthy and provide some sort of base. The alcohol is not noticeable at all, I don't know how considering its strength. This beer was very crisp and every taste lingered in the mouth. I had to control myself not to race through the entire bottle. It was that good.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured in a Duvel tulip from a 22 oz. bomber. Color was a sexy and luminous molten gold-orange with no haze. A substantial sticky white head formed, with excellent lacing left behind.

The smell....Wow! It was loaded with an up-front fresh complex of hop notes. The most prominent was of raw unadulterated hop resin (amazing), with strong strawberry and other fruit esters, and citrus-rinds. This is masterful!

The taste was equally well done. The hoppy bitterness danced on the palate, melded with the aromas perfectly, and sent me into hop nirvana. Malt characteristics were just right..subtle. Extremely powerful but never harsh, the beer has a deft touch.

The mouthfeel was full, smooth and satisfying...and complimented the above aromas and flavor. The drinkablity was very good considering the power contained within this high IBU brew. Overall...a simply fantastic high IBU complex IPA that is a must try for any hop lover. You'll probably want a case of this.

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

Cloudy orange color with a nice head. Had a really big floral sweet and grainy malted smell. First thing that hits you and last thing that hits you are HOPS. Very tart and almost bitter hop juice twang with flavors of grapefruit rind, orange and resinous raw hops. It does have some floral notes and has a good sized backbone of malt to help a little with the enormous amout of hops. I am a hop head to some degree and this one is over the top.

4.34/5  rDev +1.4%

Why do so many breweries make so many different Pale Ales? After trying this, it's the ONLY pale ale Stone should be offering.

A wonderful hop aroma, good (but not great) malt balance, good color. The hefty alcohol presence is masked well, which is tough to do with an IPA. Stone comes through. A bit syrupy.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

December 2003 at the Liars Club, San Diego. Pleasant copper appearance. The ivory head disappeared fast.

A nice strong hop aroma.

Starts off with a nice floral hop flavour and ends with both floral and bitter characteristic. Malt balance is not bad for a 100+ ibu beer.

3.82/5  rDev -10.7%

In my tulip glass this beer glows with a slightly hazed orange color. On top is a tough and thick foam head, spreading decently thin and spotty lace and stain.

Smells of sweet malt, tickling pine, spicy spruce, big scents of melon rind, and that signature peppery Stone hop presence. A straightforward display to my nose. Taste is spicy with alcohol-burning honey tones and a highly spruce/pine dryness. A definitively textured hop profile, the bitterness is a pure high-alpha sort, chalky dry but juicy at the same time because of the latent acidity. Malt comes through with warmth - its not pale, not caramel, but tasty and interesting. Thinnish mouthfeel.

Very drinkable on purely interesting craftmanship, but still one of the best tasting enormously hoppy and bitter beers I've found. Yet another unique take on the big or Imperial IPA style, very much Stone through and through.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

Beautiful, bright orange color...fine, 1/2", bubbly head.
Aroma: Big, bad, gorgeous hoppiness, fruit aplenty, some grapefruit, yeah, but peach, orange, tangerine, non-stop, glorious hops...so sweet, so utterly pleasant, abundantly delightful. Bright, luscious, lively...all bow in honor of the almightiness of humulus lupus!
Shall we sip? Do we dare?
Full force of hops on the palate, a devastating wave of hops across the palate up, over, around, about, and above the senses! Dominant to say the least, absolutely overpowering and spreading nothing but delight to those of us hopheads who revel in the luxury of an immersion of such bitter, tasty delights!
Each time you put down the glass, and finish your gulp, the flavor subsides on the palate, resides fully in the senses, and you eye that glass and are eager for more. You don't need it, for the flavor has never left your senses, but it tempts, it teases....like the label says, it ruins you for anything of weaker flavor, and why would you ever want that, anyway?
Fantastically delicious, this super-hopped ale, one I'd return to as often as I could, when fortune provides. This is the IPA that should be the emblem, the acme, the standard any IPA should strive for!

Big thanks to LongBeach Bum for this bottle, allowing me to retaste it, re-review it, relive it, re-invigotate myself!

4.15/5  rDev -3%

A complex malt and hop taste at work here that is really over the top. That's the only flaw I see in this brew. The hops are too overpowering, hence the name Ruination. I could not drink more than a pint in one sitting or I would have no taste buds left. But I do enjoy it from time to time, because Stone brews excellent quality beer.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured a light orange/honey color. Nice thick foamy off white head that left great sticky lace. Nice big fresh hops upfront in the nose. Citrusy and piney. Sweet malty aromas help to even it out.
Big malt flavor. Lightly sweet and fruity with those citrusy, resinous hops riding shotgun. Spicy, slightly floral hop bitterness that really lingered on the tastebuds.
Thick, full, round and creamy mouthfeel. Great drinkability for this hop monster. Another quality Stone brew.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a clear pale gold with a nice head of white. The lacing drapes the glass in sheets.

Aroma - Floral hops dominate the nose. The sweet malts and hops invite you to drink. I really enjoyed the aroma of this beer.

Taste - Abundant hop flavors assault the senses but are muted by the subtle presence of malt. Its hoppy, but not too hoppy.

Mouthfeel - The tongue is enveloped in hoppy comfort. Delightful hops bite the tongue from beginning to end. I would have liked it to be a bit fuller.

Drinkability - Thoroughly drinkable. An absolute delight to drink.

This is a good beer and I can understand why it is in the top 50.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Okay, I’ll admit it: I’ve been intimidated by this beer for quite a while. Its reputation as a monstrously hopped über-IPA has kept me from trying it until now. Released from its 22oz bomber, Ruination had a clear burnished copper color, slow-moving carbonation, and a bubbly jaundiced head that deposited sticky gobs of lace on the glass walls.
The aromas of grapefruit rind and pine sap were by far the dominate fragrance. However, a noticeable sweet malt scent was there to keep things from going completely off the rails. The taste was initially of caramel malt before it was trampled by a tidal wave of hops. A juicy, resinous grapefruit rind flavor coated the tongue, morphing into a more pronounced pine taste that left my tongue with a vaguely numb feeling. A light alcohol bite hit the back of the throat, leaving a soft warmth in the chest. Ruination had a full, creamy, and ends up dry.
I haven’t had an IPA yet that left my tongue wondering what the hell happened the way Ruination did. It is quite easy to drink although after one Ruination, you won’t be able to taste any other beer. After that, I was done for the night as my palate went into meltdown. The resulting hops burps almost killed my dog, who got too close once. Ruination is one of the biggest, baddest, hugely hopped IPA’s around. If you want to challenge your tongue, go no farther than Ruination.

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

A very solid IPA that is of the American over-hopped persuasion. The beautiful clear amber body has more than a little red hue to it. The small (one finger) ivory head is nicely packed, but dwindles to a film rather quickly. The lacing is spotty but seems to follow down the glass.

A nice malt nose with some caramel-like hints is in the fore while citrus hops lurk in the background. The taste is grapefruit with some nice malt back, rather the reverse of the nose. Quite puckering and bitter, the hops really let you know of their dominance. This lingers long on the back of the tongue, almost to a fault. This beer impresses me as needing to be accompanied by a fine dish of food, probably a fish or pasta dish would be perfect. The flavor by itself is too much for the palate by itself, thus the "ruination" factor.

The feel is great with a nice creamy body that finishes with a crisp departure. Drinkable in some quantity when mated up to a good main course.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing