Stone Ruination IPA | Stone Brewing

Added by kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Ratings: 10,858 |  Reviews: 3,083
4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

A perfect score is not something to be given indiscriminately. Despite attempts to be overscrupulous in my critique, despite perusing critical comments by BeerAdvocate reviewers whom I admire, I failed to find an imperfection in this hop-focused beer. Yes, in the final analysis, Ruination IPA deserves each of the five perfect scores that I gave it.

The beautiful hazy golden body of Stone Brewery's Ruination IPA supports the kind of thick, frothy head that one frequently hopes for but almost never finds. The viscosity and cling of this head are enough to put most beers to shame. Indeed, it stuck around so long that I lost hope it would ever fall. And so I pressed the glass to my lips, and took my first sip of hoppy glory.

But before I took my first sip, I made sure to take in a few a deep breaths of this beer's bouquet, which comprises floral, citrusy, piney, and resinous fragrances. The absolutely clean aroma of American floral hops (Centennial and Columbus) fills my olfactory organs. Malts are barely detectable, as they should be.

The taste of this beer is even more balanced than I expected. The American bittering and aroma hops are showcased, of course, and there is just enough malt to provide some sweetness. But the hops' aromas are not at all muddled, nor is are their bitter qualities overpowering. The flavor of this beer is not only balanced, but utterly clean. There are no indiscernible flavors here. Both the aroma and flavor of the beer make me feel as if I were sticking my nose in a sack of fresh hops and taking a few deep breaths. So fresh, so floral, so pleasing...

The hazy appearance of the beer indicated that this is an unfiltered beer. Thank goodness, because the yeast has produced a rich, buttery flavor that pairs deliciously with the hoppy bouquet. The floral tastes of alcohol become palpable as the brew warms, and pick up and accentuate the hops' floral and citrusy flavors. The beautiful pairing of floral and creamy, buttery flavors reminds me of the way that boiled fresh milk and aromatic spices (e.g., cardamom, ginger, and tea leaf) divinely complement each other in a well-made cup of chai. Like a well-made cup of chai, Stone Ruination IPA offers up each of its strong flavors both distinctly and as complements to each other. It is rare indeed to come across a beer whose flavor is at once intense, sophisticated, rich, and clean.

The viscous froth that I observed in the head reemerges each time I swirl the beer around my tongue. It's a perfect complement to the beer's buttery, rich body and flavors.

Stone tells us that "Ruination IPA" is so named because of its ruinous effect on the palate. I grant that the intensity of the beer's taste may "ruin" a few neophyte palates. But it is difficult to imagine how sophisticated beer drinkers could consider this beer's fresh, floral taste as anything but refreshing, restorative and rejuvenating.

But perhaps there is one sense in which "ruination" is an appropriate designation. This brew is indeed likely to "ruin" one's taste for other American Double- or Imperial- India Pale Ales. I have had hundreds of beers in this style. This one is a cut above the rest. First class.

Tip: First relish the hoppy glory that is Ruination IPA without accompaniments. Then, try snacking on some dried fruits as you sip the beer. Dates, dark raisins, and currants make excellent pairings.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

3.71/5  rDev -13.7%

Appearance: Light Amber color with a generous-sized white head that slowly faded.

Smell: Primarily Piney and grassy hop aromas. Fairly mild nose but it smells good.

Taste:The pine aromas carry over to the taste, but I also get some mild citrus notes. The finish is all hops but not overly complex.

Mouth-feel: Medium body with a medium level of carbonation.

Overall: It's not overly complex but a good hop forward beer.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing