Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone Ruination IPA | Stone Brewing

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Ratings: 10,854 |  Reviews: 3,082

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Ruination pours a great light golden brown color with a white foamy head. The head lingers for quite a while leaving nice lacing.

I think I smell a tiny, itty bitty, slight note of hops.... On second thought, I smell a lot of hops. Actually, is there anything else in this beer? Oh wait! There is a bit of maltyness!

The taste is quite unlike most IPAs I have had. This one has the usual resiny hoppy taste, but it has a slightly sweet finish, which lingers and is much more pleasant than the traditional IPA finish. I get a little taste of banana on the end.

Overall this is a great beer for hop heads. I always like a hoppy beer, and a lot of IPAs have a really heavy malt characteristic that I'm not always keen on, so this is a pleasant surprise.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Served from 22oz bottle poured into English pint glass.

A - poured a thick, foamy 3-finger white head. Has a golden hue to it. Not what I expected.

S - I can smell the malt and also a citrus. Much more malt than I expected.

T - Taste is pretty good. Again, lots of malt and of course citrusy IPA bitterness - yet the bitterness is subtle. Perhaps the strong upfront malt is subduing some of the citrus and bitterness I expect from IPA's. Not as bitter as I thought it would be considering it says on the bottle 100+ IBU'S

M - mouthfeel is sticky and oily, typical of IPA.

O - I cracked this one open after letting it chill for only a couple of hours in the fridge. It's a good beer, just not something I'm looking for in an IPA. It's a bit too malty for my liking.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Aroma: an immediate strong, sharp grapefruit scent mingled with fresh-mown hay. Moderate scent of alcohol.

Appearance: orange-gold color. Minor haze. Large long-lasting white head. Lacing stuck well to the glass throughout.

Flavor: immediate spicy hit of grapefruit followed by an explosion of hops bitterness. The bitterness lasted a *long* time. Dry finish. Some maltiness underneath, but almost lost beneath the hops.

Mouthfeel: Light/medium body. Some alcohol warmth. Good carbonation.

Overall: Wow. I wish I could rate the aroma higher. Everything was just about perfect, but the aroma blew me away. This could be my new favorite beer.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing