Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone Ruination IPA | Stone Brewing

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Ratings: 10,853 |  Reviews: 3,082
4.46/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

From a bottle into a tulip glass. I've only lived in places where Stone is not distributed, so these are true treats for me. Pours a slightly hazy orange color with two fingers of white, frothy head. The head lingers for eons and leaves beautiful lacing on the glass like strings of cob web. The aroma is all hops, sticky with citrus grapefruit and resin. Hiding in the nose is a waft of honey sweetness. The first taste is a blossom of pure hops; the heavy flavor is all citrus hops with a backbone of pine. It blends beautifully into that promise of honeysuckle like sweetness I found on the nose. The sweetness on the back end coupled with the unapologetic hop smack in the mouth makes this THE IPA against which I compare all others. This is the beer that turned me into a beer geek. Other IPAs are guilty of just loading you with hops for hops sake, but this beer uses them the way they are meant to be used. Cheers to the guys and gals at Stone for brewing such a gem.

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not sure why I've never had this before, but here we go!

A - deep golden color with a brilliant, sticky inch of white foam on top that does a great job of sticking to the glass after a swirl.

S - awesome! Grapefruit and floral hops were noticeable the second I popped the cap. A truly fantastic barrage of citrus, fruity hops all the way through.

T - as the nose indicated, this is a hop bomb! But not as palate-wrecking as one might think. A ton of hops but enough malt to smooth it out. Fantastic.

M - creamy, crisp, a nice body.

O - while the biggest of most intense DIPA out there, this one is something special and it's easy to understand how it's been around for so long.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Growler filled up yesterday.

A: Poured into a tall tulip glass. Big bubbly head, golden brownish amber. Amount of carbonation looks good.

S: Great on the smell. Very light and floral with some good sweetness.

T: I think this was the good IPA I had been craving. Seems very balanced with a good amount of hops but some good sweetness. The flavors fade to a good bitterness that goes away slowly but pleasantly.

M: Full body and super creamy. This is really the shining point of this beer and is without a doubt one of the smoothest beers I've ever had.

Overall very good indeed. The only problem I have this this guy is the taste is a little light on the complexity. As for an IPA though this is killer. Check it out.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Chilled 12 oz bottle. "Best by" date 5.6.12. Yeah, this one's had some time to mellow out. I've had it fresh a number of times, so I figured I'd set one aside and see what happens.

Look- Medium amber, light haze. Three fingers of foamy off-white head, insane retention. Leaves sticky-looking rings of lace. Very nice.

Smell- Strong pine aroma, light citrus, mild sweetness. Swirling brings out a sweet earthy aroma. Pretty subdued, but quite pleasant.

Taste- Like the nose, pretty subdued compared to the fresher offering. Crackerlike malt makes it's presence felt, most of the bitterness is at the back end of the sip. Strong herbal character throughout. Hints of tangerine come and go. Bitterness builds as the brew goes down, rather than the immediate hop wash I recall.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, medium carb. Moderate dryness, coating, somewhat oily.

Overall- Trust the brewers. I've enjoyed a number of DIPAs well past their "expiration" dates, and enjoyed most of them. Ruination is still a decent beer, but loses much more than it gains. The brewer's intent being a hop-slap to the face, that's perfectly reasonable, but drink it when you buy it.

4.81/5  rDev +11.9%

OK. I'm not a real hophead. I used to be an anti-hops guy until I was turned on to Double IPA's that offset the bitterness with citrus juice. I mainly drink IPA's made here in Vermont that tend t be on the citrusy side (Heady, Hill Farmstead and Lawsons). I actually went to the liquor store to get some Lawson's Double Sunshine and they were out. Figured I'd give this a try. Wow!. Super hoppy but balanced so nicely that I wasn't overwhelmed. Great head and carbonation level. A little clearer appearance than I like but no big deal. The key word here is balance. If I could change one thing it would be the super strong hop flower aftertaste, but I realize this beer is made for the fullblown hophead and will rate accordingly. This one is a masterpiece if a guy like me who isn't in love with hops can love such a hoppy ale. Well done Stone.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured into a Delirium Tremens tulip from a bomber. I've had my eye on this brew for a while and finally decided to give it a try.

Appearence: light translucent caramel; thick head diminishes about as quickly as you'd expect from a beer with similar gravity, but leaves some nice lacing (more than I was expecting)

Smell: very prominent tangerine-y scent; very sweet--almost too much so for my nose, but my ultiamate verdict on beer in based on much mroe taste than smell; maybe a faint hint of vanilla?; mellow-spicey note that reminds me of sage more than it does anything else; the booze smell isn't nearly as pronounced as you'd expected given the ABV

Taste: alchol not nearly prominent as most other beers at this ABV; bitterness isn't as pronounced as i'd expected it to be, nor is the sweetness; you get a good amount of citrus, but I can't ascertain exactly which fruit it reminds me of--grapefruit maybe?; pine-y note as well

Mouthfeel: coats the mouth nicely; the pine notes come through as the beer is going down and linger for a bit after your sip; goes down easily for 7.7%

Overall: incredibly drinkable beer that is much more session-able than I thought it would be; I'm a bit of a hop head and was expected a bit more of a punch, but this was still a delicious beer that I'll buy again; I let the bomber sit out and re-poured as I finished each glass, and as the brew warmed it opened up quite a bit--for my next tasting (I bought two bottles), I'll let it come to room temperature before the first pour

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%