Stone Ruination IPA | Stone Brewing

Ratings: 10,838 |  Reviews: 3,077

4.75/5  rDev +11%

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

3.62/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Lighter golden color (almost yellow) with a whopping 2 inches of frothy white head. The harpoon ipa glass is completely clouded with lace. I am very surprised at how light and clean this beer looks for a double IPA.

S - A lot of citrusy and floral notes here. Not as in-your-face in terms of hops as most DIPAs. Some fruit presence such as orange and grapefruit.

T - The taste is pretty much the aroma for this beer except for a slightly more dominant grapefruit facet. Very well-balanced (in relation to hops and malts) for a DIPA, which isn't necessarily what one hopes for when tasting a DIPA.

M - Some lingering hops, as expected, in the aftertaste of this very light-bodied beer.

O - Overall I was kind of disappointed by this beer (as you probably guessed from my scores above). It is a very good beer, but it has everything that anyone could want in an IPA, not a DIPA. It is nearly perfect in terms of all the characteristics of a single IPA (it tastes just like Ballast Point's Sculpin IPA to me) and if it were, I would probably give it a perfect score. The bottle says "IPA" and the alcohol percentage as well as everything else about this beer screams IPA, but I'll trust BeerAdvocate's classification as a DIPA and rate it as such. When I purchase a DIPA, I want to be blown away by the hops.

4.69/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

01/29/15:
Probably , oh well, I cant even remember how many Ruinations I have had over the years. But what I can say is that after tasting so many craft beers in the past 3 or 4 years, this one from Stone still is near the top.
Perfectly balanced, the ABV, the IBU, the Malt, everything. Crisp but full, chug gable yet slow sipped.
Without a doubt my favorite beer from Stone

Oh, another great one from STONE. I read more about this ALE before I tasted it. My expectations were so high.
I popped the cap. Immediately, my senses were filled with HOP, HOPS and MORE HOPS. I loved IT.
I poured it into a tulip wine glass. The aroma and bouquets were even stronger now. I put my nose into the glass and I was in HOP heaven.
The ALE was brilliant and clear, with a small head, but a strong head. I detected some tropical fruits. Maybe some pineapple, and also some citrus like a New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs Marlborough grapefruit full wines.
Then the taste and it all began. Almost like bells going off in my head, ringing in a new year. The bitterness from the hops and yeast were so in your face, but at the same time not slapping you around.
STONE says, once you have had Ruination, you are ruined!
Well, to me, now that I've had it, I'm somewhat addicted to it.
Its not for everyone. People that say that like hoppy beer, ok, there are many others to build up to. This one, just like better wines, you have to get your palate ready for it.
I am a happy Ruination Camper!

2.5/5  rDev -41.6%

3.98/5  rDev -7%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle

A- a cloudy orange body, thick white foamy head, good carbonation, tons of sticky web lacing

S- lots of citrus (tangerines and oranges), wet pine hops balancing out the citrus fruits

T- taste follow the nose I get more bitterness and those citrus hops taste more like grapefruit, as the beer sits I get more sweetness and the bitterness subsides some

M- medium body, mild carbonation, bitter aftertaste lingers

O- a good ipa, definitely an upgrade from stone ipa

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Dense yellow orange beer under white head with supurb retention and lacing. Very nice looking beer.

Smell blows you away - a blast of citrus hops and piney hops and malty sweetness.

Creamy, creamy, creamy deliciousness. Love the mouthfeel. Even with the strong smell and overpowering flavors, I think the mouthfeel is the most distinctive part of this beer.

Taste: Aggressive pine hops, bitterness, followed by honey sweetness. I prefer Stone IPA to Stone Ruination IPA because the former is sweeter than the latter, and because the pine hops in the Ruination are so aggressive.

There's nothing subtle about Ruination. I personally would have preferred for more citrus hops instead of so much pine. And I don't think I could have more than the one 22 ounce bottle because the taste is so in-your-face. But Ruination is quite tasty and exceptional in appearance, smell and mouthfeel. It is a beer to respect.

4.75/5  rDev +11%