Ruination IPA | Stone Brewing

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Ratings: 10,862 |  Reviews: 3,083
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Poured cloudy and bright yellow into the glass with one finger of frothy head that laced like a monster.

S: Pungent angry hops, lots of alcohol, maybe even some rubbing alcohol, hop oil. As it warms the hop profile blossoms into spiciness, mild citrus, more pine and some biscuit.

T: Bitterness hits me upfront, then the white grapefruit, some citrus, mild pineapple. I do get a sense of tropical fruit notes people mention but not sure I could have identified it on my own. The biscuits come in and quickly depart allowing the acidic alcohol notes to pull you into another round of herbal and grassy notes before a big bitter finish that. Insane blend of hops and malt.

M: Thick and full.

O: Strange hop bomb. It comes on super bitter and alcoholic but turns out to be very interesting mix of citrus, earthiness and pale malt. Let it warm a bit and then marvel at it.

3.52/5  rDev -18.1%

I thought this beer stood up to the typical stone philosophy - bold hoppiness. I do enjoy a great IPA and this is definitely one of those. Though this beer does not tickle my IPA tongue fancy. The bitterness of the beer is not balanced with anything. I feel like stone just put a bunch of hops in without anything else. If there is anything else added to the beer it cannot be tasted due to the overpowering plethora of hops. I think a delicious IPA needs to have that bold hopiness added with a nice balance. The nose on the beer is amazing and choc full of hops. The taste and mouthfeel left me wanting something to counter the bitterness a bit. Overall a great beer for straight up hops but my taste buds wanted something that mellowed that boldness

4.74/5  rDev +10.2%

My second favorite IPA...Pliny the Elder is first. Amazing flavor and bitterness. A refreshing amount of hops. Very clean tasting. Overall, one of my favorite beers. Too bad a 6 pack at bev mo is around $15 :( If you want an IPA that really stands out, this is more than what you are looking for.

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

Had this on tap in a tulip glass. Good looking beer, copper color with a whitish 1" head that fizzle down after a few minutes. Really good aroma- pine, citrus, hops. Really easy going down and you could taste the orange peel citrus on the front, and not even that overwhelming on the back end- although the hops do linger a bit. At over 100BU, Ruination is supposed to ruin your palette. I enjoyed my beer without food, bubecause it might not pair well with certain foods.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from a 12 fl oz bottle into a pint glass. Enjoy by 05 30 11 (when was this bottled??) Loooong description of the beer on the back of the bottle threatening to ruin my palate. Challenge accepted!

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, calm golden body with a thiiiick bready head on top. Beautiful looking beer. Head recedes from the bottom up, leaving about a quarter inch of dense dough.

Smell: Straight pine forest. Am I Christmas tree shopping? I'll take a douglas fir!

Taste: Fantastic! Pine and citrus fruit with virtually no detectable alcohol from this 7.7% ABV beast. A hophead's wet dream.

Mouthfeel: This beer feels thick and hearty. Could I live off of this and this alone? Quite possibly.

Overall: I don't know about my palate, but a beer this good could definitely be ruinous on my retirement savings. I'm in love...sorry honey.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance:

Good mix of copper, orange and amber. Thick foamy head that is well retained.

Smell:

Citrusy hops with an essence of pine. A bit of a floral arrangement can be detected as well as sweet/caramel malt.

Taste:

Pine and citrus are the major players. The bitter kick proves the 100+ IBU label is no lie. The slight mix of the malty flavor is a very nice touch

Mouthfeel:

Low carbonation on the tongue. Goes down smooth. A little bit dry and surprisingly light for a DIPA

Overall:

I did enjoy this beer. The only issue I had was that it seemed to be a little pointlessly over bitter. However, that was what they were trying to achieve and they did so. And since I do enjoy bitter brews, it wasnt too much of an issue to me. I will definitely have another in the future

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured into a Tulip/Flute glass.

A:This gives me the evil eye, a orange peel stare. One finger head leaves a savoring lace on the glass.

S:Sweet n piney greens, with a lot of citrus drizzle.

T:So bitter, the breath you take after every sip turns the air sweet. A bundle of grapefruit, oranges, lime, green apple pine cones.

M:The malts are skillfully set in this DIPA definitely a palate wrecker. But surprisingly tasted a little bit of toasted malts that sneaked in when it was at its coldest.

O:So much hops it got drafted straight out of High School.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

I'm catching this one right at the limit - best before is 4/11/11, and I'm right there. Poured from a 22oz bottle into multiple schooners...:)

A - light amber/yellow in appearance, clear with a fluffy white head that resolves after about 5 minutes leaving bits of lacing around the glass.

S - super fragrant citrus/pine hops on the nose. Nicely cutting and sharp.

T - the hops really dominate this one with a strong citrus hops bitterness almost like orange peel dominating over a hint of malt.

M - moderately carbonated but surprisingly light for an imperial. There's elements of oilness, as well as a hint of booziness but bother are relatively subdued.

D - it's surprisingly drinkable and goes down very easy!

A superb IIPA; delicious hop bomb, but not quite overpowering. Shows a lot of finesse.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Enjoy by: 5/30/11

Pours a clear pale amber color. Thin white head, some retention.

Smell is citrus hops with a little alcohol and a little malty sweetness.

Tastes pretty much like it smells. Hops are there, but fading. Still fairly bitter, but a good bit of sweetness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good, not too carbed.

Overall, probably a little closer to faded than fresh. Still a pretty good beer, but it doesn't blow me away.

4.02/5  rDev -6.5%

A - A burnt orange, cloudy hazy color. Just the way I like em to look

S - Oh sweet heavens, the beer gods have shine a light on this beer. It smells fantastic. Sweet floral hops, with citrus present. Maybe some lemon.

T - Very good, but its a little more bitter and less citrusy than the aroma led me to expect. Very malty, bitter aftertaste. It is a malt/hop bomb for sure.

M - Medium bodied and pretty high carbonation level.

D - While it is extremely tasty, I think 1 is enough at a time. I will get it again though, for when I need a Hop attack!

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours golden to orange. Fills the glass with a cloudy glow capped with glowing white lace. Head fades with snowflake lacing, nice overall retention. Nose is floral, citrus and pine. Taste is the same but earthy hops with grapefruit and some honey on the finish. Definitely a beer for hop fans only. Nice and creamy but still with a crisp mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable for a near 8% abv double. Another great beer from Stone, one of my favorite breweries. I could session with this double IPA.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

The white head is of small stature, of a smooth consistency, with larger bubbles sporadically interspersed, with good stickiness and staying power. The aroma of fresh hops is unmistakable as it emanates from the glass, with a hint of lemony citrus. Active carbonation keeps the thin carpet of foam replenished as the slightly hazy amber liquid is consumed.

Brisk and bright hops surround the tongue as the brew hits the mouth, engulfing the taste buds with grapefruit and bitter orange flavors. A background of bread grains is barely noticeable as the hopfest dominates the palate, leaving a tangy citrus finish.

This is a well made IPA of good character.

4.07/5  rDev -5.3%

12oz bottle poured in a Nonic.

A - Golden amber with a fluffy white head. Somewhat cloudy body. Thick sticky lacing was impressive.

S - Very floral plus fruity orange peel citrus smell with pine background. No real malt coming through in the smell.

T - Hop bomb with some toasted malt coming through, but definitely playing second fiddle. The finish is deeply hoppy, and maybe that doesn't really catch it, but that's how it felt. Hops permeating my soul. The bottle says "A liquid poem to the glory of the hop" and that about sums it up. All that said, the deepness of the hop flavor loses some of the complexity found in other top IPAs. The alcohol comes through a bit in a pleasant way in the aftertaste.

M - Medium bodied and smooth, and doesn't detract from the smell and taste.

D - The hops are addicting and make me want to have another, but couldn't drink too many of these.

Overall, a bold tasty brew hopheads will love, though I still prefer Racer 5, Blind Pig and some others that to me seem to have a more complex and satisfying hop profile.

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: A pretty typical color for an IPA appearing a deep burnt orange.

S: Very floral and citrusy in the nose.

T: The taste, like the smell, is very floral and citrusy. It almost tastes like that flowery perfume smells that the old women would wear when I was a kid.

M: Pretty typical.

O: Don't get me wrong, this is a delicious IPA, but I feel that there is just nothing really separating it from the rest of the pack. It seems pretty generic in the land of IPA's, but as usual, Stone turned out a beer I would glady drink again and buy a whole case of, but there is just not a distinct hop flavor or aroma or an unusual malt backbone that really grabs my attention.

I just didn't taste anything that deserved all the arrogance that was painted all over this label, even if the words were true. After all, hops are so delicious and have slightly ruined my appreciation for all other tastes, but it wasn't this beer that did it for me.

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Draft to brand specialty glass. On draft is a whole new ball game!!! The only complaint I have about this beer (on draft) is that it's defined (and priced) as a double...and it's 7.7%. Could be the best IPA ever, but it's a damn good double that has the alcohol content of a high-end single. But damn tasty!

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a golden orange color, a little hazy with a 1" white head with decent retention. Smell is mostly hoppy, the citrus hops are coming through really strong. I think I smell a bit of malt, but my sniffer don't work to well. Upon first sip; the hops come in hard and fast, I am getting citrus and pine. Definitely a good west coast hip bomb, I'm loving this. I don't think I caught much malt in there, but I could care less considering the full scale hop assault in my mouth. Mouthfeel is decent, usually if I don't really notice the mouthfeel, it means it's just right. Overall, if you love IPAs and feel like getting punched in the mouth with a fistful of hops, this is a beer for you.

Pours a beautiful golden color, looks like an IPA should look, very summer like. It's pretty cloudy, there is almost no visibility through the beer at all. The head looks really nice, it's very creamy looking, lots of small bubbles. I want to give this a 4.5 on appearance, but the head already faded a little bit, it's sticking around at about a half finger length. It for sure smells like a double IPA, the hops just punish you up front on the nose, and then there is a nice citrus smell, maybe some tangy fruit in here as well, but I'm not the best at detecting fruit in IPA'S so I'm not sure. Overall the smell is really really good, it doesn't seem like it's skimping out at all on the taste, which I'm sadly finding more and more common these days in IPA'S. Well the first thing I notice on the taste is that there is no hop crispness, this beer is not crisp at all, which is very disappointing. I mean you can tell the hops are there because of the bitterness, but there is no crispness, which is very strange for a big hoppy beer. Also, the order of things are mixed up, the malt comes first, and then the hop bitterness, I'm a little confused here. It's by no means a bad beer, they did a good job, it's a quality beer, just a little strange. It really is a good beer, so I have a hard time grading this below a 4 on taste, part of me wants to, but I know that it deserves a 4. As far as mouthfeel goes, it's pretty standard for an IPA, nothing disappointing there. As for drinkability, on some tastes you can notice the alcohol more than others, but for the most part it is pretty subdued and is somewhat easy to put back considering it's an IPA. Overall a good beer, it's not the best IPA I've had, it's a little weak in some areas, but it's a solid brew.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- a golden orange, really nice looking beer.

S- this beer promises an assault on the senses and it delivers. This is not for the casual beer fan. My nasal passages cleared and for a second I thought I could see into the future. This beer smells exactly like an ipa should.

T- I feel like I've been hit in the face with a burlap sack full of hops and I love it. I'll warn you again, it you don't love ipa's then stay away from this beer. If you drink an entire 6 pack of this beer your first born will most likely enter this world with hop breath.

M- This beer engulfs your mouth in hop flavor. I could find nothing wrong with the mouthfeel despite the fact that I think this stuff could probably be used as paint thinner.

O- overall this beer is very close to ideal for the style. It is overhopped to the extreme and should only be handled by professionals. The ABV tends to signify an ipa while the hop profile leans heavily towards a double. This conflict brings down the score slightly based on style. Outside of that, this is another great beer from the hop geniuses at Stone.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a cloudy orange with a tall white head that has nice lacing and very very good retention. It also has moderate carbonation. It has a nice aroma of citrus, earthy hops, biscuits, and pine. The taste is a pleasant taste of earthy hops, pine, followed by some floral hops and finishes off with some citrus and honey. The aftertaste has some orange and grapefruit in it. I do like the creamy smooth mouthfeel that is like heaven on the tongue and cheeks. This beer reminds me a lot of Bell's HopSlam Ale and I think both are worth trying for all you hop lovers out there.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a cloudy golden-orange with a big, fluffy off-white head with supreme retention and lace.

Nose is a nice mix of apricot pit and biscuit malt with tons of leafy hop tones and other hints of vanilla and orange blossom honey.

The mouth has a small core of creamy caramel malt surrounded by a gigantic oily, bitter hoppiness. Chiming in further are wonderful complexities- moderate resin, citrussy flavors, a peppery alcohol and intense earthiness- leaving more flavors of grapefruit and cloves lingering on the long finish.

Wonderful execution. Seems to have more bitterness than the regular Stone IPA but still an incredibly smooth brew.

4.17/5  rDev -3%

A - Pours golden and setlles to a more orange-ish hue. A lively white foam completes the pour.

S - Scents of fruit (pineapple, apricot) are present. Not nearly as piney or hoppy as other DIPA's.

T - Much more mellow than other imperial IPA's. This is more sweet with fruit than hoppy. It certainly stands out.

M - About as good as it gets with a smooth finish, a well masked ABV, and a well balanced sweetness to bitter. Easily could drink many of these.

O - I'd seek this out again. Maybe not a top tier DIPA but Stone has made another quality ale.

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

while not my favorite style of beer, i think i found the one that will turn me into an ipa drinker. poured a nice golden color with a 2 finger head. the smell was a bouquet of hoppy floral, citrus, perfumy deliciousness. went down smooth with a dry finish, yet not as bitter as i expected with 100 IBU's. definatly recommend to friends and will most certainly buy again.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into wheat beer glass
a-the color of pure honey with a big frothy head that lasted forever
s-pleasant citrus aromas flood the nose
t-dam good,sweet like the candy raspberries at christmas time with grapefruit note present.one of the best ipa's ive had
m-wonderfull
overall-excellent beverage,my fav ipa so far,will defenitly do this one again!!

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

A- Great IPA look. Its a hazy orange with a nice creamy white head. very small bubbles comming from the bottom of my tumbler.

S- Smells kind of like the regular IPA, lots of citus fresh ops and some pine. Love Stone IPAs and i am excited about this one.

T- Wow okay very nice. Takes a while to dissect these flavors.. The hops come in strong and up front. The flavors just lay back and chill on your tongue as your whole mouth drys out. The orange citrus flavors are in the background along with some pine. Main this in this beer is opviously hops, and more hops. Not to shabby. Its a good flavor but i was expecting it a little better, but i wont complain because at 100 IBUS this is still a great drinking IPA.

M- Dry, very powerful hop flavor, pine lingers a little.. Not the best mouth feel.

I was very excited about this beer, and i still like it. I dont know if i over hyped this one but it wasnt as good as i was expecting.

However, its still a great brew by Stone and bold of them to put a 100 IBU beer on the market.. Good job Stone

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Bomber poured into my Stone pint glass
*Enjoy by Date: 06/12/11

-Finally putting some pen to paper on this brew after years of enjoying this fine elixir. I saw $6 bombers at Vons and just couldn't resist for that price point these days. Besides, despite all of the numerous reviews before mine I am voicing my opinion because last time I checked this was America! And we are all winners in the craft brew game. So here we go...

A: Pours a very clear golden-straw pale coloured hue with a lumpy off-white foam cap that struggles to hold together. Lacing spiderwebbed down my glass nicely.

S: Smell is of big bright fresh candy fruit hop aromas. Akin to the aftersmell of biting into a fresh picked apricot or nectarine. Only after the beer melows does it start to sweeten with some caramel malt notes.

T: Puckering across the palate with great fruity hops and resinous pine flavors. Rounds out nicely with some soft n sweet caramel malt notes. Slightly warming going down, the alcohol definitely makes an appearance here. Picking up some very clean but distinct yeast flavors. Finishes quite nicely and somewhat dry from all the bitters here.

M: Is punchy a mouthfeel quality? Overall slightly sticky which coats the tongue nicely.
Actually very light for such a big hoppy brew.

D: I would say if you are a hophead drinkability is superb by DIPA standards. ABV's are present but not overbearing. IBU's are in full effect so take heed as the label cautions if that is just not your thing.

A liquid poem to the glory of the hop! Probably my favorite brew in all of Stone's lineup...now if only it weren't so damn expensive!

Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing