Stone Ruination IPA | Stone Brewing

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Ratings: 10,841 |  Reviews: 3,078
4.62/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

while not my favorite style of beer, i think i found the one that will turn me into an ipa drinker. poured a nice golden color with a 2 finger head. the smell was a bouquet of hoppy floral, citrus, perfumy deliciousness. went down smooth with a dry finish, yet not as bitter as i expected with 100 IBU's. definatly recommend to friends and will most certainly buy again.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into wheat beer glass
a-the color of pure honey with a big frothy head that lasted forever
s-pleasant citrus aromas flood the nose
t-dam good,sweet like the candy raspberries at christmas time with grapefruit note present.one of the best ipa's ive had
m-wonderfull
overall-excellent beverage,my fav ipa so far,will defenitly do this one again!!

3.98/5  rDev -7%

A- Great IPA look. Its a hazy orange with a nice creamy white head. very small bubbles comming from the bottom of my tumbler.

S- Smells kind of like the regular IPA, lots of citus fresh ops and some pine. Love Stone IPAs and i am excited about this one.

T- Wow okay very nice. Takes a while to dissect these flavors.. The hops come in strong and up front. The flavors just lay back and chill on your tongue as your whole mouth drys out. The orange citrus flavors are in the background along with some pine. Main this in this beer is opviously hops, and more hops. Not to shabby. Its a good flavor but i was expecting it a little better, but i wont complain because at 100 IBUS this is still a great drinking IPA.

M- Dry, very powerful hop flavor, pine lingers a little.. Not the best mouth feel.

I was very excited about this beer, and i still like it. I dont know if i over hyped this one but it wasnt as good as i was expecting.

However, its still a great brew by Stone and bold of them to put a 100 IBU beer on the market.. Good job Stone

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Bomber poured into my Stone pint glass
*Enjoy by Date: 06/12/11

-Finally putting some pen to paper on this brew after years of enjoying this fine elixir. I saw $6 bombers at Vons and just couldn't resist for that price point these days. Besides, despite all of the numerous reviews before mine I am voicing my opinion because last time I checked this was America! And we are all winners in the craft brew game. So here we go...

A: Pours a very clear golden-straw pale coloured hue with a lumpy off-white foam cap that struggles to hold together. Lacing spiderwebbed down my glass nicely.

S: Smell is of big bright fresh candy fruit hop aromas. Akin to the aftersmell of biting into a fresh picked apricot or nectarine. Only after the beer melows does it start to sweeten with some caramel malt notes.

T: Puckering across the palate with great fruity hops and resinous pine flavors. Rounds out nicely with some soft n sweet caramel malt notes. Slightly warming going down, the alcohol definitely makes an appearance here. Picking up some very clean but distinct yeast flavors. Finishes quite nicely and somewhat dry from all the bitters here.

M: Is punchy a mouthfeel quality? Overall slightly sticky which coats the tongue nicely.
Actually very light for such a big hoppy brew.

D: I would say if you are a hophead drinkability is superb by DIPA standards. ABV's are present but not overbearing. IBU's are in full effect so take heed as the label cautions if that is just not your thing.

A liquid poem to the glory of the hop! Probably my favorite brew in all of Stone's lineup...now if only it weren't so damn expensive!

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Drink by date 4/11/11

Light,clear orange with nice thick,creamy white head,leaving equally thick creamy,white lacing. Very good.

Nice hoppy scents, with good noticeable caramel malt in background. Actually, the sweetness and malt beat the hops on the nose. Good,but underwhelming. I've smelled more intense IPA,let alone Double IPA aromas.

Hops do the bite the tongue quite sharply,but not as intensely as I was hoping,and as a previous reviewer stated, the flavors are not there to match. Nice lingering after effect on the palate. Body is shockingly thin/light for a supposed double/imperial IPA, ditto with the ABV.

Very good, but for a double/imperial ipa, it could most definitely be a lot better. More intensity in hops, a better body,maybe some more balance with malt could bring improvements. As a regular IPA, it rocks with the best of them.

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

Re-review now that Stone is in MN and I have a 3 week old bomber for 6.50 in my hands.

Pours a golden yellow, no haze. No sediment in bottle. Small white head. Pretty clear.

Smell is underwhelming. A little pine. A little citrus. Earth/grass, more than I hoped for. I've smelled better IPAs. Not drawing me in.

Smooth, bitter, medium to light body and very, very hoppy. This is not a balanced beer. It's all about the hops and the bitterness. Actually, one of the hoppiest beers I've had, but the flavors weren't there to match. Needed more richness and depth to be top shelf. Earth and grass fight with the citrus and pine. Finishes dry.

I appreciate it for what it is. Hops and little else. Hop bombs, however, don't have to be a bitter one trick pony. This is a one trick pony.

I like their IPA better, and the double dry hopped IPA I had on tap during "Stone Week in MN" was absolutey top drawer.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Deep golden orange. Nice white head with decent retention and lacing.

Smell: Big floral hops with citrus and grapefruit aroma. Also has a hint of malt and honey.

Taste: Big citrus hops with grapefruit. Fruity and somewhat dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation. Feels pretty light for a double IPA.

Overall: A good version of an IPA even though it is on the lighter side of DIPA's, both in the mouthfeel and ABV.

4.79/5  rDev +11.9%

This beer has not been reviewed enough, because 2,400+ reviews is barely a sample set. My review will validate this beers existence on the computer.

My barely adequate olfactory organs sense, nay feel, pine cones. Like huffing green pine cones. Not brown pine cones, green pine cones. I might have tasted a peach or a nectarine or an apricot or a plum or a pear and a green pine cone. Bubbles? Check. Bitter? Roger that. Fantastic? Of course.

When I swallow it, it goes right down. Right down into my tummy. It tries to hang onto my tongue, but it still goes down. But it's also like it leaves behind its essence, a bit of its being on my t-buds. Like it's in two places at once: my tummy and bitterly on my tongue. I'm pretty sure it's a super position.

In conclusion...I am the sample set.

3.71/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours into a glass chalace a clear honey color with a solid head of off-white foam. Stone beers always impress me with how well constructed they are in this regard. Skunky, floral hops on the edges of the glass with notes of malt coming from the middle. Bitter hops dominate the palate with floral pine and grapefruit notes not far behind. Dense but not heavy in mouthfeel with the bitter hops leaving the edges of the tongue tingling.

Overall, it's a bright, bold and bitter double IPA that's not overpower and, ultimately, drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

I've been craving this beer, but my usual store only had bottles past best by date. I finally found a bomber at a different store with an acceptable amount of time left. Well, it pours a hazy, golden color, with a smallish head. The smell is your typical pine, with light citrus that you expect in a DIPA. The taste for me is more resinous pine than citrus. Jacked up bitterness, which I love in an IPA, double or otherwise. It doesn't have that malty balance that other DIPAs usually have, which, in this case, is fine with me. The mouthfeel is less creamy than I expected. Very good overall. I dig most Stone beers and this one is no exception.

3.71/5  rDev -13.3%

Today Sietse (apophis666) paid me a visit. He loves the IPA beers so i cracked a few open. I got this bottle in a trade with listenatjoes.

This beer is not my style to be honest and this beer was an exeption (happy!!).

This beer has a light citrus taste ans there is some creamyness. There is no real bitter aftertaste and that makes this beer a good one for a non IPA lover.

3.02/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Aromas of a boat ton of citrus and grapefruit hoppiness. Underlying light pale malt sweetness beneath the hops.
The taste is big big citrusy hops upfront along with lots of bitterness; extremely dry finish. Citrus returns in the aftertaste along with some lesser grapefruit and some sticky pine as well.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied with average carbonation. This brew really dries out the mouth; I need a pretzel to clean my palate after this hop monster.
Overall this beer is just too resiny and bitter with zero malt backbone that I just can't get into. It literally ruins your palate as it promises and I appreciate the purpose but this is over the top. Some may like this but I am not one of them.

4.04/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from a 22 in Blythe, CA. Tasted fresh and such a nice sharp hop flavor.
A - nice golden, orangy hue. two finger head that fades quickly. nothing notable.
S - a little lite on aroma out of the bottle, subtle hints of malt, sweet hops
T - sweet touch to the string of the hops. lots of bitterness but balanced nicely with the malt. all around nicely balanced.
M - carbonation is pleasant, maybe a touch light.
O - really nice IPA with a pleasant balance to this 100+ IBU beer. Nicely done and a really drinkable brew.

1.51/5  rDev -64.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

I have to start out saying this is probably my least favorite style of beer so hop lovers can likely disregard my ratings. I am one of those people that is really sensitive to bitter tastes so it is not a surprise that I wouldn't be a big fan of this style.

A-Clear with orange amber appearance, weak head

S-Oh shit, this one is going to stick with me. Welcome to hopland!

T-Yep hop bomb, 10 minutes later it's still there, bitter, grapefruit, astringent mouthdrying NW US hops. There might be some alcohol in there too-but it doesn't matter I'd have to choke down another drink.

M-Pine sap? Gross

D-I'd rather drink yak piss.

Tastes like other double IPAs I've tried except it's exceptionally lingering so I guess it's average for the style. If you like in your face hops-give this one a try. If you're not a hop bomb fan-I guess stay away like I normally do.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance: Pours a light orange glow

Head: Big frosty yellow head with a heavy lace

Smell: Big clean citric on the nose

Taste: Floral hops scream on my palate with bitters on the roof of my mouth

Weight: Quite light for a DIPA with a medium to low carbonation

Finish: Floral notes stick around for a long time next to a subtle heat and stickiness on the lips

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

351st review on BA
Bottle to tulip
12oz bottle

App- Deep orange with striking yellow accents and a great two finger head.

Smell- Huge hops, very hop forward and strong citrus more orange vs. grapefruit.

Taste- This is just a palate wrecker. My tounge was done after this and this is why I saved it till last. Big hops and a matching bitterness make this a classic and even has a nice tangerine finish.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium carbonation and a dry hop finish. Just one of the most well finishes for a hop head.

Drink- I'll have this again. Just too good not to. A very good DIPA and the spicy, bold, dry hops are just a tounge overload but well worth it.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Best by date of 5-3-11 on the bomber which I poured into my duvel tulip.

A--Bright orange with a little bit of cloudiness. I aggressively poured it and the bright white head was beautifully thick. With each sip, the beer retained on the walls of the glass. It was a very sticky retention.

S--Hops, hops, and then more hops! On another level there is sweet fruit, grapefruit and lemon. Then there comes a wave of pine which is either like an evergreen forest or freshly cut grass. Get a little bit of malt in it too.

T--Piney hops. The bitterness punches you in the face over and over again. Get a bit of grapefruit with each sip. I was drinking this while eating a lime cupcake and that really helped bring out the fruit in the beer. Love the taste.

M--Bit of carbonation in the tongue. Other than that, the tongue and the whole mouth just tastes bitter with the sips. Seriously,this is one of the bitterest drinks I have ever tasted.

O--I love hops, and I love bitter IPAs. This makes this beer perfect for me. If you are a hophead like myself, give this a try if you haven't. One of the best DIPA on the market

4.62/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a hazy amber color into a snifter with only slight head and a small amount of lacing. The aroma is of flowers, citrus, and hops. It tastes of all of the above and very dry with a mouthfeel of dryness also. This has recently become one of my favorite DIPAs.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Crystal clear strawberry blond liquid with tiny dancing bubbles keep the creamy head afloat a long time. Glass etched all the way down with spider webs.

Smell is all hops: pine, resin, citrus, grass. Well balanced among assertive players.

Taste starts warmly bitter and dry. Wrings your palate like a washcloth. Then lingers long enough for your taste buds to come-to, then slams them again with lingering bitterness, particularly as it slowly dissipates from the palate. There is enough sweet malt to keep this from becoming harsh. Finishes floral & astringently dry. It s just a little too-light bodied, but that's me quibbling.

Overall, this is an incredible peak in the IPA world: lives up to its name as it's hard to pop open lesser beers. This one will be craved. I'm thrilled I was able to find a 6 pack of 12 oz bottles.

There's a throaty-into-the-chest warming that I've only ever experienced with Hoptimum. I likened that to the chili-high that chiliheads get with the spiciest dishes.

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

Enjoy by 4-10-11. Glad to find this fresh(ish) on the shelf.

A - Crapload of bubbly offwhite head from the first pour...I was being nice, too. Dark yellow body with some bubbles rising. Good lacing.

S - I can smell some pretty killer hops from here...under my nose it's kind of like a bitter pine tree that sprouts light smelling flowers and grows some sweet oranges. or something

T - It's my fault that this isn't very cold, but I can't be blamed for the light bitterness that this beer has. It's also got kind of a muted grapefruit flavor. I thought it would be (i.e. it probably should be) bigger and crazier. Still good.
Edit: corked the bottle, stuck it in the freezer, now it's much better. these flavors pop a lot more when cold

M - Somewhat bland and smooth, not so good for the style. Big body, though.

O (D) - Ya know, this is good, and since it had a pretty bad pour and wasn't very cold, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. I'll try it again and pour it better, and I'll expect more. As it is, it's a good beer.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap, poured into a pint glass and reviewed from notes taken at the bar.
Beautiful creamy foam head one and a half fingers and a nice small layer remains throughout the beer and leaves leaves beautiful creamy lacing with amazing retention. Resiny hops in the nose. Bitter smell. Grapefruit tropical mango and very bitter as the name indicates. I typically would say this beer was too bitter but its just so delicious Dry bread-like mouthfeel highly cabonatrd with small light bubbles. . Incredibly drinkable at such a high bitterness. Ended up sessioning it because it truly ruined my palate.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

served in pint glass

A = creamy 2 finger head over clear amber liquid.

S = VERY citrusy hops (mainly orange) with trace of caramel malt

T - largely follows aroma, but starts sweet before strong bitter! (brewer says IBU > 100!) hop hit. Excellent with spicy food.

M - smooth but unremarkable.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Beer labelled "enjoy before" 04-11-11.

Beer is a translucent golden orange in colour, with a generous finger width of white head that slowly reduces.

Hops are present in the smell, of course. Bitter citrus, grapefruit. Very faint pine smell.

Taste-wise, the bitterness comes through strongly. The citrus is more subdued, but certainly present, grapefruit in particular. The juicy citrus flavours become more pronounced the more I drink it, perhaps as I get more used to the bitterness which was initially almost all I tasted. A floral taste abounds as well. A bit of caramel near the end, but the aftertaste is all bitterness. Alcohol is quite subdued.

As for mouthfeel, it is moderately carbonated, and very nicely medium bodied. Flows around really nicely, feels great to swish around. It really does have a big juicy feel to it.

Overall, a very good beer. The bitterness is almost too much, particularly the aftertaste, which is quite mouth-drying. However, as the bottle progresses, it gets very tasty. I was underwhelmed at the beginning, but it started to open up for me. Very enjoyable.

4.14/5  rDev -3.3%

22oz brown glass pry-top bottle. Neck dated Enjoy Before 5/22/11.

Quick review: Crystal clear orange with some thin white head. Nose is like fruit loops: orange, lime, lemon and a little cereal grain. Palate is crisp and bitter right off the bat! Lemon, lime and the big orange. A little pine, but very citrusy. Bitter and dry finish. Texture is a little lacking in bottle form. Draft version I recently enjoyed had better texture.

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

Found this beer very fresh at my local liquor store.

Appearance-Light Golden/Orange color, white head that leaves plenty of lacing, it's nice to just stare at.

Smell-Hops, Grapefruit, Floral Notes, alot like the IPA.

Taste-Hops. 100+ IBUs is no lie, hops are the star. You do get the citrus and floral notes as well. It tastes like a roided up Stone IPA. The bitterness and dryness makes you keep going back for more.

Mouthfeel-Medium bodied with lots of carbonation. Bitterness coats your mouth but the citrus really keeps it balanced.

Overall-Stone says this beer will "Ruin your Palate" which is pretty true, don't think I can drink something after this one. I recommend sipping it, especially if your planning on drinking a bomber on your own. As the beers temp rises you get more citrus which is really nice. Great beer to finish the day with.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing