Stone Ruination IPA | Stone Brewing

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Ratings: 10,838 |  Reviews: 3,077
4.21/5  rDev -1.6%

"uh huh!!! oh yeah, that's it!! right there!!"

that basically sums this one up for me.

A - nice dark golden color. pretty hazzy, but that is ok for this style since it is dry hopped to heck! Could possibly be slightly clearer.

S - GREAT AROMA!! A+++ when you pop that top and pour this one out, the hop aroma is like POW POW POW!!! IN YOUR FACE!!!!

T- AWESOME. However, I typically like my I-IPAs to have a bit more citrusy characteristics to them than this one. This more than likely was flavor hopped with Simcoe or some hop with a piney profile.

M - medium to full bodied I'd say. very nice. Carbonation was fairly moderate which help lend to a slight sweetness.

D - This beer you can drink any way you want. GO FOR IT!!! I have paired this beer with quesadillas, pizza, chips and queso and even beef jerky! However, I typically pair it with something a bit more heavy. I'd do something like a good old steak and taters with this bad boy. Once I made venison with some potato croquettes and had this beer and...OH MY GOD...I was in a flavor comatose.

What else can I say about it. It's great!

3.85/5  rDev -10%

Bomber with enjoy by date of 1-13-10. Poured into chalice with virtually non-existent head. Ale looks surprisingly pale as it comes out of the bottle, but has an apple cider appearance once in the glass. Very hazy. Absolutely no lacing to speak of. Oh wait, there might be a slight bit, over there.
Smells of great, bitter hops. Not very strong, as you need to stuff your sniffer in the glass to get a good whiff. Though, the whiff is there, once taken, properly, of course.
Tastes of nice, bitter hops. Citrus, grapefruit like notes are prevalent. Also has pine type flavors present, though the many flavors are difficult to distinguish. It is very bitter, and I like it.
Feels smooth, not overly carbonated.
Overall, this is an extremely easy brew to drink, perhaps only if you know what you are getting into, as the hops are intense, even a few days before the "enjoy by" date. This brew is recommended.

4.06/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pretty decent head on this and the color is very much yellow like opaque orange juice. Not your standard DIPA color here.

S: Wow! Sharp in your face hops with heavy citric grapefruit and a very dirty earthy profile. Also smells very tangy of orange juice. How can something smell so fruity and bitter at the same time? Most complex smelling beer I ever stuck my nose in.

T: Wham! Damn those be some bitter hops! I made a beer face for the first time since my first Bud Ice. 2 mins after my first sip I can still taste it on my tongue. Hold it in your mouth awhile and you can taste those fruity notes but swallow it down it ain't nuthin but STRONG bitter hops. Note: These aren't bad things.

M: Perhaps a bit thin and could tone down the carbonation a bit.

D: Good stuff but I don't see anyone being able to take too much of this punishment. It really is a palate wrecker.

I must say this is the first bitter non overly malty DIPA I had in a long while. I don't even know how they classify it as DIPA at only 7.7% abv. Really curious how this will taste as it warms. My guess is the sweet citric notes will have a much bigger play and not beat completlely back down by the hops.

4.59/5  rDev +7.2%

This IPA is lighter than I expected, almost the color of a hefeweizen. Not as cloudy, obviously as a hefe, but still pretty opaque. Head didn't stick around much, leaving being spotty clouds at the top of the beer and a little filmy residue as you drink the beer. Lovely floral, piney hops that offer enough scent to be inviting without being terribly overwhelming. For being a Stone beer, I really did expect a more robust taste. This brew is surprisingly subtle and blended. The sourness of the hops is blended in with some yeast that really does change the flavor of the beer from what you'd expect out of an average IPA. I think that it brings out a very fleeting moment of hoppy sweetness near the end of each taste.

I have to disagree with the bottle which describes the hops as "binding and blinding" that will have a "ruinous effect on your palate." While this was a very enjoyable beer, this isn't so blatantly hoppy that I want to cut my tongue out to regain some sembleness of taste. It really didn't taste THAT bitter, especially for being 100+ IBUs. Perhaps I have abused my mouth with so many IPAs that it takes a really REALLY intense hoppy beer to knock me out of my chair. I like that though, as it takes more skill to make a beer so infused with hops, but not so bitter that you can't drink it.

There is definitely smoothness to the beer, with distinct flavor and hops. If you enjoy hops, you'll really enjoy this beer. It's a sneaky bugger, with a 7.7% ABV, so just don't partake in too many of these.

Appearance - 3.5/5.0 - Golden, opaque, minimal head with lots of lacing
Smell - 4.5/5.0 - A tastefully blended mix of hops that are obvious but not overpowering
Taste - 4.5/5.0 - Smooth, hoppy with bitterness, but not enough to make it tough to drink.
Feel -5.0/5.0 - Silky, feel it all over the tongue, aftertaste is a nice lingering bitterness
Drinkability -5.0/5.0 - an excellent double IPA!

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Bomber poured into a snifter.

A-Pretty clear amber brew. Pillowy tan-white head is 2 cm off the pour, looking very attractive. Head retained decently, though a bit more would have been nice.

S-Resiny thickness, also with a piney aspect. Resounding herbal tones.

T-They weren't kidding... this one is bitter. Huge hop bitterness takes control, allowing only the choicest flavors of resin, herbal/perfume, and slight citrus hops through. Biscuity, toasty dry malt character is able to poke through ever-so-slightly. Finshes bitter, herbal.

M-Moderate carbonation level, doesn't interfere with the beer's characteristics. Body is moderately big, bolstered by the thick bitter hoppiness.

D-This is a difficult aspect to rate for this beer. The extreme bitterness makes it a slow sipper, but the quality of the flavor, along with its other general characteristics, makes me want want more and more. However, I'm keeping this rating a bit lower, as I can't for some reason give it any higher.

Thanks to my girlfriend for stowing this one back to MN from her work trip in Los Angeles.

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

22oz bottle served in a snifter. First review on here.

Nice clear golden orange color to it with a white/eggshell white head that left moments after. Nice moderate lacing.

My unrefined nose picked up tons of hops; a little piney maybe. A little grapefruit as well. Citrus!

Tons of hops balanced nicely with maltiness as is warmed. When it was warmer and a couple of minutes on the finish, I detected some raisin.

It felt nice in the mouth with good carbonation.

I was able to control the 22oz well, but anymore could have been a lot harder.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

This strong IPA comes out swinging. After popping the top on this brew and watching the gasses roll over the edge of the bottle lip, its aroma is immediately in your face. Pouring this medium amber liquid into a glass from arms length yields more aroma than burying ones nose in a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, really, the hops are that strong.

The malt base is barely detectable behind the hop explosion that results from its ingestion. The ballsy, bitter blast right from the start is only overshadowed by the lingering taste on the palate. This truly is one of the strongest IPA's I can remember tasting. It kicks hard quick and will dominate your palate, leaving you begging for more.

Drinking more than three of these in a row can likely only be done by the most obsessive hops lovers. So if you are in this category, this is your IPA.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance: Golden color that has a nice froth and lace

Smell: HOPS, HOPS and more Hops. Very nice smell of hops with a slight fruity undertone.

Taste: A great amount of hops at first taste. Incredible character of hops but very smooth at the same time. A bit of a bitter finish from all the hops but it is just perfect.

One of the best Im perials IPAs you can buy. Highly recommend.

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

A- 12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass reveals an exceptionally clear light amber colored brew. One finger of white, frothy head sit atop it, leaving behind multi-tiered lacing.

S- Hops, hops and more hops. Pretty much what I expected. The hops smell mostly flowery with a dash of citrus zest to it.

T- Once again, tons of floral hops. As the beer warms there is an ever so slight hint of a sweet, malty backbone. This never really does show up in the aroma, but it's a nice addition to the taste.

M- Medium-light body, very smooth with good amounts of carbonation. This beer's a good sipper, but it's not so high an ABV (thus, a lack of booziness) that you can't drink a lot of it if you want to.

D- Good, as mentioned in the mouthfeel, there's no real boozy flavor to it, just hops. This allows you to keep drinking this beer.

Is this a top DIPA? Yup. And what makes it so great is that it's easily available to a number of consumers. Another great offering from Stone.

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

Reviewed from notes. Originally consumed 12/24.

A-Pours a yellow/orange color with a white one finger head.

S-I'm getting pine, floral and grapefruit citrus with this one, and just a little bit of biscuity malt.

T-Follows the nose with piny and grapefruit bitterness. Some biscuity malt helps give it some balance.

M-Pretty smooth with medium body and low carbonation.

D-Really pretty easy drinking. The smoothness of Ruination and the lack of any astringency make this one a winner.

4.59/5  rDev +7.2%

12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is a cloudy amber/orange color with small head.

Smell and taste are both dominated by hops. It is bitter yet very smooth. Floral hops cover up the abv, and the bitter aftertaste lingers well after the beer is gone. If you're into hops this is a beer for you.

4.62/5  rDev +7.9%

A - Dark golden and cloudy. Nice, and maybe I'm biased towards darker beers, but was expecting something a tad richer in color.

S - A nice citrusy aroma, especially grapefruit. Maybe some hints pear and pineapple, too. Oh, and the bitter hops do give off a nice aroma.

T - Wow. Simply amazing - there's almost a delicateness to its boldness. Nice and hoppy , yet oh so smooth.

M - I am biased towards the bitter, but the hoppiness is wonderfully smooth and bitter on the tongue.

D - This is very easy going down. But that ABV and the hops add a slight heaviness that would limit me to no more than 2 at one sitting.

4.94/5  rDev +15.4%

I'll skip color since I am, alas, color-blind.

Smell - Hops! Awesome, floral, pine, hops!

Taste - This beer is one of my favorite beers, hands down. The hops are dominant but somehow not too bitter. The floral notes even act to cover up the considerable alcohol content. This beer is trouble.

Mouth - perfectly carbonated. Crisp and dry. Frames the hops in the aftertaste as if they were onstage in your mouth.

Summary - drink this beer. If you don't particularly like heavily-hopped beers, drink it anyway.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Little below average head size, beautiful retention & lacing. Very lively, carbonation looks perfect. Head size was only thing preventing a higher score.

S: Grapefruit, floral, and hops. MMM hops. This bad boy is begging me to START DRINKING! Characteristics are a little light, and that's what prevented a higher score.

T: Geez, the texture is amazing. Grapefruit and hops again dominate the front end of the taste. However the hops aren't making it bitter at all. Also taste pine on the backend. Awesome tasting brew.

M: Very smooth, perfectly carbonated, plain & simple, perfect mouthfeel.

D: Umm, based on AST&M (above), you can see I could drink this all night. Only thing preventing me would be the 7.7%, might be a short night. :)

Cheers Stone, you guys continue to impress me; keep up the good work.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Nice fluffy pure white head, light golden amber color for the beer

S: All hops, grapefruit not super strong as I expected, but very aromatic

T: Assault of hops, super flavorful though, not just bitter, big grapefruit, doesn't really ever get too bitter since it is matched by increasing flavor as well

M: Medium, very pleasant

D: High, it is intense, but oh so nice

Notes: This beer definitely lives up to my expectations and surpasses them. It looks just like an IPA should and drinks excellently. It tastes amazing. While it does get super bitter like the description promises, it doesn't over-do it, because it matches bitterness with equally powerful flavors.

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

POWERFUL.

"100+ IBU's" says the bottle.

I was having some asthma problems and used my aerosol nebulizer with the albuterol-saline solution with only modest effect. Then I drank a stein of this stuff and it totally opened my lungs! ha ha

A= rich orange with a generous fluffy head leading to clumps of pooling and lacing.

S= SHAZAAM-- a kick in the nose with pine, pine, more pine, a little grapefruit and subtle hints of glorious fruits and quality malts. I feel like I just shoved my whole bag of fresh Nugget hops in my face. It's more potent than PineSol cleaner but of course much more pleasant.

T= West Coast hops in all their glory, pine, some grapefruit and light sweetness although the beer tends on the more dry side of middle. Once your tastebuds recover, you begin to find rich malts underneath, plus some hints of fruits and maybe a dash of honey.

M= light sweetness on the tongue after it recovers from being entirely numbed by the powerful overdose of strong fresh hops.

D= very drinkable for a sampler, maybe the whole 22 ounce bottle if you're a seasoned IPA drinker. A bit too much IBU acid for most stomachs to endure much more than that, although I suppose that if I really hit stride with it and had 2-3 bottles I could go through them in a night's session.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Gosh darn, who came up wit this beer. The bottle says it all. Not really a session beer but it complements almost any meal, including breakfast. First tried this at the Navy Club in Seoul Korea in the bottle but it deserves better. No I drink from a wine glass or flute when possible. The IBUs on this baby are high and gosh darn, I love it. If you don't like a hoppy bitter beer then stay away. Just don't think that it is all flavor with no punch, this will put you down and I almost think it has a higher ABV than advertised.

The head laces the wine glass like a nobody's business.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Southern Tier glass. Pours a pale golden color with a thin white covering on top.

Aroma is very citrusy with grapefruit and a little bit of pine and spiciness. Not as intense of an aroma as I expected knowing how strong the taste is but pretty good none the less.

Taste is very intensely hoppy. The citrus and grapefruit hit you up front and then the spiciness and piny hops hit you in the finish along with the intense bitterness. Taste is pretty much what they describe, a hops overload that will ruin the pallet. The taste is different then the other famous west coast IPA's though, Pliney, Sculpin and others seem to have more of a sweet intense citrus flavor while this one has a more resiny piny intense bitterness to it.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good. It's an intense flavor but for a hops lover this would be pretty drinkable despite the abv.

Overall I like this one a lot, it's one of the only highly regarded west coast IPA's we get where I live. Probably not my top rated DIPA but not too far down the list, and different then most of the rest to make it something I seek out occasionally.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Just slightly pale, yellow orange color. Very strong, foamy head, good legs.
S: Hops galore, noticaeble spice and pine flavors, sweet fruit tone. Someone earlier said it smelled like grapefruit, that seems on.
T: Slightly sweet, but that first flavor is quickly forgotten as these hops come through and overload the palette, citrus and spice dominate. All these fruity flavors that i have trouble discerning.
M: Full-bodied with a light finish, a bit of the bitterness of the hops lingers on the soft palette. Touches the range of tastes on the tongue, smooth without much carbonation.

Hell of a beer. Complex in terms of the multitude of flavors and the dynamic they create with one another, but with a more simplistic view--this beer is dominated by slightly sweet, American hops that are bold and heavy, but presented in a medium body and without too much flare. A great deal of depth, presented in a straightforward, authentic way. Maybe it's the amount of alcohol. This is an Ernest Hemingway beer if I ever tasted one. And I don't even know what that means.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Growler poured into a pint glass.

A - One and a half-finger white head leaves behind massive lacing. Pour is a very slightly cloudy yellowish orange.

S - Spicy hops, grapefruit, and a slightly sweet pine undertone.

T - Truly palate-ruining spicy hops predominate, but upon closer inspection juniper berries, spicy citrus, and mildly sweet malts form the foundation. The finish is more gentle than I was expecting with a mild hop bitterness lingering.

M - Mild carbonation, but creamier than most IPAs. But it works to keep the hops from feeling too sharp on the tongue.

D - Perhaps the ultimate hop-lovers beer, this baby is named very appropriately. Best to save this one for sipping or for cutting through some seriously spicy salsa (my favorite way to drink it).

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

12 ounce bottle poured into a chalice. Golden copper color with about half an inch of head. Fizzy and well carbonated.

Smell is intense.. hops and citrus all the way. Grapefruit, lemon, orange, and some herbs and spices could be noted.

Taste is fairly mellow at first, follow up by a rush of hops and citrus. Not as overly bitter as some other IPAs I've had, but also not nearly as big and strong in terms of ABV. Very drinkable and tolerable for the style.

4.34/5  rDev +1.4%

22oz bottle in a stein.

Appearance: light, golden yellow, dark wheat, thick frothy firm head.

Nose: flowery, pears, heavy on the hops

Taste: flowery, strong, wow hops, hops hops (100+ IBUs; that will do it)

Mouthfeel: kinda thick considering the color and pour

Drinkability: more than one and you might regret the it the next day

Stone Brewery...exactly. Whats up with the winged devils on all the bottles?

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wifey picked this up while running errands..Yup, she's a good one!

22oz bottle poured into a Weizen Glass (probably not the worst choice of glassware for this style)and the turmoil of the pour created a massive rocky eggshell head over deep clear gold liquid.

Nose is primarily citrusy hops.

Taste is pretty powerful resiny and again, citrus. Malt was languishing in the background but let the hops steal the show here. Hoppy dry finish.

Medium/full mouthfeel and lightly carbonated..Not a quaffer at 7.7% but I'm not exactly sipping this either...It's too irresistible for that!

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance: clear, orange/gold in color, moderate carbonation, 1/3 inch head

Smell: citrus hops. The smell is not in your face as the taste.

Taste: hops and more hops. The dominate flavor is grapefruit but there is some other citrus in there. A trace of malt is present towards the end.

Mouthfeel: bitter but not overly so, medium bodied, small carbonation

Drinkability: A nice and solid beer that lets you know hops are king. Very good for the style, I could have two but after that I think my palate would be hopped out.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

A-pours a clear golden orange color with one finger of a thin white head head that dissipates quickly but does leave a nice lacing on the glass.

S-the smell is nice and is of estery floral hops with lots of grapefruit and a touch of oily pine

T-there are some sweet malts up front immediately overtaken by hops, big oily pine, some grapefruit and citrus followed by huge bitter hops

M-medium to full body, smooth and syrupy, a lot of carbonation, slick on the back of the throat

D-big hops and a nice mouthfeel make for quite a drinkable beer. i love ruination and i could drink it all day, huge bitterness make that a challenge, though.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing