Stone Ruination IPA | Stone Brewing

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Reviews: 3,071 | Ratings: 10,823
3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

Light amber bordering on yellow with a delicate white head. Some lace. Smell was very good with bitter notes and a syrupy estery undertow. Taste was much more subdued than I was expecting from Stone. In fact I think this beer was less abrasive to the pallette than the regular Stone IPA. Up front was that syrupy Double IPA sweetness, which morphed into a more piney bitter taste, but towards teh finsh and aftertaste was a serious toasty flavor more akin to a british beer or a softer New England IPA. This holds its own and is a good beer, but I will stick to the IPA.

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

A - Pours a clear, golden hue with a large, rocky, white head that leaves thin strands of lacing down the glass.

S - Full of sweet citrus aromas - grapefruit, orange, and lemon.

T - Bitter taste up front consisting of woody and earthy flavors. Biscuity malt finishes things up.

M - Medium body, surprisingly smooth mouthfeel.

D - Good for the ABV, I hardly noticed the alcohol at all.

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

A: Very clear golden honey color with a small bone white head. Decent retention and lacing.

S: Very pungent hop perfume with sweet grapefruit, a bit of tropical notes and a dose of toffee malt.

T: Bitter and astringent. The hops are damn strong and long lasting. There is some tropical fruits trying to break through, but mainly its just the grapefruit and citrus hops that provide the subtle sweetness. There is a bit of malt lurking in the background to give a nice addition. Its just so bitter and palate destroying.

M: Medium to full body. Good level of carbonation. Dry because its so bitter in the finish.

O: Palate recking for sure. Because of that, its a little hard to drink more than one in a sitting and you can't have anything else if you really want to taste it after you drink this one. Kind of reminds me of a less sweet hopslam.

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

This is a hoppy beer that does mellow a bit as it warms. It pours a nice orange with some head and not much lacing. The smell is very nice, hops, sweet malts, citrus, grass. The taste is a bit too hoppy for me right out of the refrigerator, but as the beer warms its true character emerges. There is a very nice sweetness that complements the hoppy bitterness. It is medium to full bodied and the sweetness works with the consistency of the beer and reminds me of some of the weaker barley wines I've tried; we are not talking syrupy barley wine here, but there is some hints at it. The hoppy esters remain on the tongue and the after taste is not nearly as bitter as one would expect with this hoppy brew. This has been a nice change of pace for me, since I've been reviewing really bland Saranac summer ales the past few days. L'Chaim

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

A: Dark golden, . Thin clingy head that looks soapy.

S: Smells piney and resiny with a little bit of citrus. The hops take over for sure, smells like sticking your face into a fresh bag of hops.

T: Huge hop bitterness, perhaps too much. Some subtle bready malt character. Very Piney

M: Thin and dry on the tongue.

O: This beer would be really good with some spicy food. I enjoyed it, my only complaint however is it was a little one dimensional.

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured a hazy orangy gold with a small head that disappeared quickly. I had practically no lacing at all on this one, but the head may have been from an overly cautious pour on my part.

Big scent of pine and citrus rind here. Good luck finding anything else.

Big hop bite, with a nice combo of pine and citric notes. There is a little sweet malt, but it is immediately kicked into the background by some alcohol. I wish I could split the flavor rating a bit, because they get big points for the hop flavor -- but the residual tastes (meaning all that is left) seem a bit raw and out of place. but this beer is made for hop heads, and it will not disappoint.

Smooth, a bit oily, and a little flat.

Overall, I enjoyed this one. A little more fruit sweetness would have put this over the top for me. But a great brew just the same.

Reviewed 11/6/2007 (bottle):

Pours a pale yellow colored body, with an off-white colored head, smallish. Grapefruit sweet aroma. Some pine. Sugary sweet aroma. Grapefruity, malty, sweet, some pine. Pretty balanced. A good pale ale/IPA. More sweet than hoppy.

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

22 oz bomber thanks to Redwood21. Poured into nonic.

A: A nice golden brown with a low head, but what forms stays for the whole beer. Bubbly, sticky lace set on the side of the glass. Very nice.

S: This is where this beer shines. Pine, floral, bitter hops. Still there is the sent of malt balancing this sucker out. Damn near perfect.

T: This beer has bite. The hops hit you first and hard. Floral and bitter hops assault the tongue. There is some nice pine notes in there. Malt comes in at the end and cools the bitterness slightly, but doesn't kill it. Still a nice bitter aftertaste. A little alcohol burn on the end.

M: Not as heavy as I was expecting but not too light either. Has an oily feel on the mouth. Coats and tickles the back of the throat with bitterness. Nice medium carbonation that matches this beer.

D: Won't have a problem killing this bomber but that is enough for me. Still a great beer that I won't mind drinking from time to time. Worth keeping the cellar for sure.

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

A - Had a nice deep amber/golden color with a nice head pour from the bottle.

S- Nice hoppy aroma that almost buried the malts. I did like the smell better than the taste.

T - This had a unique flavor to it. I definitely enjoyed the hop and bitterness but I tasted some citrus flavors that didn't seem to blend that well for me. Started strong but had an off after taste. I wouldn't say it was bad, just different than what I expected.

M - Not overpowering, had a good amount of flavor and feel. Well balanced but left that unique after taste.

O - I did enjoy the hops taste and would recommend it to friends who like DIPA's. It wasn't my favorite, but much better than most. May need to try from a tap to see if there is any difference.

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a growler into my Duvel Tulip (Growler from Greens on Piney Grove Columbia, SC)

A - Glowing orange-amber with a big off white head, lots of bubbles run up the side of the glass, above average amount of lacing sticking to the glass

S - Rather mild nose. Strong lemon smell with hints of sweet malt.

T - Piney hops dominant the flavor. A hint of sweetness when it first hits my tongue but that gives way to a lingering piney bitterness.

M - Well carbonated with a medium body

D - Not a real hard one to drink but I'm not the biggest fan of piney DIPA's. I think this one might not taste as good thanks to the growler of Coast's Boy King DIPA that graced my tongue recently.

Poured from a 22oz bomber

A- dark golden color. The glass I'm using skews the look so I can't add much. Long lasting head.

S- as advertised, hops punch you in the face with the first wif. Smells like an open bag of fresh whole hops just about to be added to the brew kettle. Impressive.

T - made for the hop head. Awesome resiny bitterness in the finish. Light malt character. My wife swears that she tastes something like soap. I'm not sure how to describe that. Alcohol is masked well for a beer over 7%. The bitterness lingers.

M - light body, bitterness , dry

O- I love IPA's. I could drink this all night. If you are unsure if you enjoy hoppy beer, choose something else. On the other hand, this is pure gold for a hophead.

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

bomber served in a SA perfect pint glass.

pours a hazy yellow/orangish tone; a little shy of two fingers' foamy white head; impressive retention and lacing. a handsome brew.

nose thumps you with a strong piney, citrusy gust of hops; that said, it's somewhat one-dimensional. despite ruination's reputation i've been more impressed by "lesser" DIPAs.

taste naturally follows with strong hoppy flavors - more floral than i picked up in the smell to accompany the citrus and pine; a touch of malt, and decided bitterness in the finish.

solid mouthfeel, crisp with a medium body. i would not object to another. in the end, a strong IPA/DIPA that holds its own... though likely more appealing to fans of the bitter end of the style's spectrum.

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I started out great on this one. It is very strong, and I was in the mood for something strong. The attack of bitter hops is undeniable. If you're in the mood to get punched in the kisser by a beer repeatedly, this is the one for you. But a guy can only take so many lickin's. Eventually the hops power of Ruination got me.

I used to think too much hops wasn't possible. I now stand corrected - for my taste. I love how strong and aggressive this beer is. That alone makes fun to drink. But it's a tad too piney for me to enjoy an entire bomber. Maybe I'll get there some day, but I had trouble finishing this one.

Of course, I did finish it. Duh.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours out a hazy golden amber beer,with a moderate head. Has a raw hop smell,,what i mean by raw is, is that it smells like hops in the brew kettle. Taste is sweet with lots o hops,,im not sure what type but theres tons of em! Initial sweetness leads to a slow lingering hop bitterness.Mouthfeel is a little bold,,not too much. Drinkability is good,,but i think one or 2 would be sufficient. The longer i drink it seems the hops get a lil monotonous { and i love hops} but im not sure that whats used in here are exactly my faves. Not bad at all but given the choice i would prefer 90 min IPA.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

I am beginning to understand Stone, "let's pack all our beers with a ton of hops." No exception here. Poure a hazy color, not too light. It tasted, well, quite hoppy. Not overpowering like Stone's other offerings, but still quite hoppy. It was a good sipping, end of night beer, but I could not pop one after another of these.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured in to my Duvel tulip.

A - Poured a hazy orange/yellow colour with one finger of thick creamy white head.

S - The nose is bursting with citrusy hops. Grapefruit comes to the forefront along with a faint pine scent.

T - VERY BITTER HOPS. Citrus. Somewhat of a pine/floral background. All hops. No malt profile anywhere to be found. After a few gulps the bitterness becomes more subdued and this turns in to a very nice grapefruit-hop profile with a bitterness that follows.

M - Light to medium body. A good amount of carbonation.

D - A good DIPA. I would have guessed that this exceeded 7.7% ABV. I would buy this again, but there are other DIPAs that I prefer.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance: Pours a golden yellow with a slight orange hue. The head is a creamy white the sticks with you throughout the session and leaves a lacing drooling down the glass. Good for the style but nothing spectacular.

Smell: Citrus with a huge hop presence. Slightly grapefruit and piney smell brought on yet again by the hops.

Taste: Citrus and hops attack up front with a crisp aftertaste that makes me crave more. Easy on the palate if you're a hop-head but destroys the palate's of those who aren't into super bitter beers.

Mouthfeel: Crisp with a slight bite. Leaves a nice floral hops taste on the tongue.

Drinkability: Able to finish a bomber but that's about it. Satisfying and a good representation of the style.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had this one on tap at Mad Mex in Columbus, Ohio.
A: Clear amber with a nice fluffy white head that leaves lacing.
S: Grapefruit citrus hops up front, which are very green, with a sweet malty backbone and some alcohol. It is very inviting.
T: Caramel roasted malt sweetness in front of a rapid shock of green piney hops that linger.
M: Mildly syrupy and frothy.
D: Pretty good.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

I enjoyed this beer, but doubt that I could session it with such a strong flavor profile and character. A: Color is of sourwood honey with thick ample foamy head that dissolves into lingering lace. S: Very bitter and hoppy with a strong ginlike juniper berry aroma. T: Grassy and herbal with hops punch throughout. The IBUs tick off with each sip. M: Nice viscosity and palate immersion. medium bodied with nice enduring feel. D: Excellent flavor but a big beer that is best sampled in moderation. Nice option for pairing a bottle with dinner. My personal taste is more for the Stone IPA, but Ruination was tasty even for this Malthead.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

I reviewed this beer about a year ago. But my palate has become much more learned in styles since then that this beer tasted completely different the second time around.

A: Pours a light, gold body with small, white head that holds until the finish.

S: A nice hoppy smell, but there are subtle malt notes that I did not notice last time.

T: When I first had it, seemed like a hop bomb. After having many IPAs, DIPAs, Imperials, and so on, I was able to note that, while this beer was hoppy, there were nice, subtle malts that made it smooth drinking and kind of a sweet aftertaste. Definitely seemed like a while new beer.

M: A nice, full-bodied mouthfeel.

D: While the malts were more evident this time around, there was still a decent amount of hops in it. I woke up the next day with my stomach churning. The fact that there is a high IBU balance here as well as a decent ABV, you cannot pound these back. However, you might be able to hang out and sip a few, but that's about it. Eventually, the high IBU will catch up to you and you will regret it afterwards.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance: mostly clear dull copper with a fluffy one-finger head of orangish-tan that collapses slowly, becoming a filmy, lingering top layer with extra heft in the ring. Random spatters of lace dot the glass as I drink.

Smell: pine, grapefruit, lemon, lime. Like the peels of all the best citrus fruits, squirted right into your face. In the background, the sweetness of honey and a tiny bit of caramel and pale malt.

Taste: heavily, heavily bitter. Grapefruit peel, pine needles, saltine crackers, lime juice, mint and a lingering pinecone-like flavor. The sweetness drops of completely, replaced by tongue-encompassing acridity. I feel like I'm mainlining IBUs.

Feel: a high, peppery carbonation assaults the tongue amidst the bitterness. Mildly fizzy, the beer expands a bit as it moves about the mouth. Medium-light in body.

Drink: a tasty IPA, but its drinkability is detracted by the sheer punishing quality of its hoppiness. I think about Ruination the way I think about a double-shot of vodka: I'm drinking this for a purpose, and it sure as hell isn't for the nuance.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

The beer pours a softly hued orange amber. There is a slight chill haze making the beer difficult to see through. The off white head is thick and holds up well. The head leaves great rings of lacing on my glass.

Aroma is pure west coast hops. Very resinous and piney. Wonderful notes of orange citrus. There's a hint of caramel sweetness, but it is clear the hops are the star here.

The taste begins with an orange citrus impression. This moves to a resinous flavor as found in the nose. The finish is unique with a very strong hop flavor that is very bitter. Almost too bitter, yet as the flavor lingers on between each sip there is a sweet caramel flavor that grows and carries on.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. A classic from the Stone portfolio and I was happy to have it again. It is interesting how the more recently concocted IPAs and double IPAs contrast from this classic west coast American brew.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

First review, so take it with a grain of salt.

From a 22oz bomber. A great beer, not as bitter as I thought. Great drinkability, I could down a few bombers without a second thought. Very hoppy with a slight alcohol taste, definately recommend trying, tons of hops, but very balanced.

poured into a tulip

A.

A hazy orange-amber color with a large amount of thick fluffy off-white head. About 2 fingers worth.

S.

Large malt smelt with some resiny hops. Citrus and piney. Perhaps some slight flowery hops.

T.

A Very bitter IPA. Similar to nose. Citrus rinds and resiny pine with a huge malt finish. I've had better IPAs, but this one is still good.

M.

about medium bodied with lots of carbonation. A little dry finish and a slight resiny mouthfeel.

D.

A bomber is a little too much for me. One glass and I'm good. This is a massive IPA that is for "professional" IPA drinkers. Readily available but just a little too much bite for my taste.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Dark flourescent orange with a huge white head and stubborn lace throughout the tasting. Flowers, hops, resin dominate the nose. The nose pales compares to what follows. Crushing, oily hop juice with some carbonic bite in the middle. Long bitter finish with a medium to full mouthfeel. Unfortunately, for me, unless you are just a serious hop-maniac, a pint is more than enough for this brew. Maybe it is the ad copy on the bottle, but I can't really taste anything else but hops, even now. I guess it's unfair to say this beer has a "finish" at all. Maybe after a garlic clove and some Scope. It is a fine beer while your drinking it, but like an annoying ex with your unlisted number, it never seems to leave you alone.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing