Stone Ruination IPA | Stone Brewing

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Reviews: 3,069 | Ratings: 10,817
2.76/5  rDev -35.5%

Pours a faded butterscotch coupled with a nice fluffy milky froth which dissolves in clusters. Smells floral with orange citrus and fruit. Hop is strong and up front as usual. I taste astringent grapefruit with an everlasting linger and a touch of sweetener. Good for the style, but it's my least favorite Stone thus far.

2.8/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought a bottle. Pours out nice with a nice slow falling head. Dark golden color.

Smells yeasty and piney.

Tastes like bitter pine sol....Aftertaste makes me thinking maybe i've been sucking on pennies instead of drinking beer....

I'm wondering if i got an old bottle or something because this is in no way a 'good beer'....

2.8/5  rDev -34.6%

22oz poured into a pint glass

Crystal clear yellow gold with a slight orange tint. A big fluffy white head with some visible carbonation

Smells of pine and citrus. Some sweetness is there as well. The scent is much like their standard IPA just more intense. This one lets you know its gonna get you.

The taste is much the same, just in GREAT excess. This one hits you... hard. Big bitter hop flavor, right up front. Pine is right behind, if not right along side the bitter taste. Then a tart citric flavor of lemon and orange comes in. After I swallowed, that bitterness comes back and bites yet again.

Feels medium bodied. This one had a real astringent quality to it. There's this stinging feeling, kind of like the way sucking on a lemon feels, bitter, tart and harsh. Difficult to get down at times. The drying quality of the alcohol comes in at the very end.

I enjoy hoppy IPAs but this one is just too much. The flavors are there but are there in EXCESS. Hops. Pine. Citrus. All there. All in a big big way. Stone's regular IPA is delicious, far more enjoyable and much more drinkable for my palate.

2.82/5  rDev -34.1%

12oz bottle, standard pint glass

A - poured a massive head of big pillowy egg shell colored foam, becoming more and more dense as it sits there, and lacing all the way down. the beer is a nice bright golden color and slightly hazy

S - loads of citrus hops, both bitter and sweet. some pine, floral, grassiness...the entire spectrum of the hops world. mouth watering.

T - not sure if this is a bad bottle, an old bottle, or what...all of the yummy hop smells are gone and replaced with all i can describe as, burnt bitter grass. not that good kind of grassy hops, just way off. i used to LOVE this beer, havent had it in a long time - so again i dont know if this is off or my tastes have just changed.

M - trying to ignore the flavor, the mouthfeel is a bit thick, but carbonation is spot on.

D - really struggling with this. ill leave this review as-is, and give it another shot in the future. down the drain this goes.

Note: I have revisited (bottles and tap) this beer a few times since the review, same results. Maybe I outgrew it, but I'm just not feeling it anymore.

2.82/5  rDev -34.1%

Appearance - Nice clear amber color with a little foamy head.

Smell - Great smells of citrus and hops. Flowery.

Taste - Orange, lemon zest. Sharp and bitter. Good flavors, but hops are over-dosed in this brew...on purpose too!

Mouthfeel - Light body.

Drinkability - Got used to it quickly. Very much appreciated the freshness. Fun and worth trying again. But far from being a favorite.
Over-hyped.

2.84/5  rDev -33.6%

Poured from a bomber into a standard pint glass; pours a hazy orange color with a light tan head that dissipates pretty quickly. It's a nice looking beer.

Smells strongly of hops, and that's pretty much it. Not much depth in the scent.

Tastes very, very hoppy. The bitterness is a lot to deal with. On the bottle it speaks of this IPA being ruinous to any food you plan to ingest. It is. All you can taste is bitter, bitter hops. That's okay if that's all you like in a beer (and maybe a lot of IPA fans do), but I like a little more depth.

Mouthfeel is okay. It's a little thin, and has some bite, but it's okay.

Overall, I see a lot of people think this beer is a gift from the gods. Not so much my take, but hey, at least I'm honest. this is just too hoppy.

2.85/5  rDev -33.4%

This beer pours a charming and crystal clear golden amber colour and adorns itself with a beach sand coloured cap of foam of average retention.

As would be expected the nose is rich with citrusy hops and freshly cut grass. More subdued aromas of fruits and malt follow but are dominated by the freshness of the hops.

Firm and rounded with a hearty texture this beer opens up with some promise. Malt with some hints of ripe fruits show up early in the taste but are almost instantly overpowered by the hop character. A biting and long bitterness settles on the back of the tongue and loiters for what seems an eternity. Too much unfortunately. The finish is piney, resiny and too bitter for this reviewer. I thought I was a hop head until I had this beer.

This is the second brew I have had from Stone. I do admire the effort put into their product, and the marketing of it. They are certainly skilled craftspeople, however, their style of brewing doesn't suit my tastebuds. I tasted this beer with a great deal of open-mindedness and plenty of positive comments from all... but I couldn't get into it.

2.86/5  rDev -33.2%

On a recent trip to Chinatown in San Francisco, my brother and I decided to venture away from the typical BBQ Pork Buns on the Dim-Sum menu, and ordered the Bitter Melon and Beef. I should have known, being in Chinatown, that my Western conception of melon as sweet and tangy would be challenged, but I was completely and utterly floored by just how bitter the Bitter Melon turned out to be. When I say floored, I mean it. We nearly fell out of our chairs. B-I-T-T-E-R.

When you pick up a bottle of Stone's Ruination IPA, you are not left wondering about the experience to come. Not a little type is wasted on bragging to what great lengths Stone has infused their IPA with bitterness. Perhaps too much. While one does drink an IPA for the bitterness, one should also expect it to satisfy more than a small area on the back of your tongue.

Not only was the beer not as bitter as expected, but that was the overwhelming taste characteristic present. A good IPA should be bitter, yes, but not a one trick taste pony. I'd hoped, being so highly praised on this site, that Ruination IPA would be more engaging, but I was more or less bored after the first sip, but I guess that's partly the point. The label itself says that after a single taste, even food would turn to ash in your mouth, but I didn't know that the beer was included in that ruination.

If you like IPA's, you'll probably come upon this one eventually in your search for the best, but I think you'll be disappointed. Ruination IPA; well said.

2.86/5  rDev -33.2%

Poured from bottle, active pour yields good head, nicely colored off-white with a golden tint. Leaves nice lacing on glass. The color is yellow orangish, looks too close to a macro lager for my taste.

Smell is really lacking for me. It just smells like an English ale of weak IPA. Good hop flavor with a nice, mild malt backing. There is a little bit of sweetness too. The hops are the predominant flavor with a very long finish, great hop flavor but not bitter, very smooth. The hop flavor stays in your mouth after swallowing but it is very nice, no need to have a drink of water like some other IIPAs require. While good tasting, it does not seem like an Imperial IPA to me, too mild. Good mouthfeel, provides a nice coating with requisite weight.

Drinkability is high, I could easily enjoy more than one.

This beer did not live up to reputation nor the name. Maybe the weak aroma indicates an old sample, no dating on bottle. I would like to try a known fresh sample, but this beer, while good as an IPA did not meet up to my standards for an IIPA nor did it meet up to it's namesake.

2.89/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Look was great! Smell didn't rip my taste bud apart. Taste wasnt too good. Feel was ok. overall okay. I would drink it if someone gave it to me for free but other than that im not buying it again. People are way too hopped out and i am a hop lover!

2.9/5  rDev -32.2%

Amazing light amber color with an interesting aroma. Heavy in hops, malt, and alcohol scents. Definately too strong for my general taste. The creamy fizzy alcoholic flavor stays well after you are done. Definately one of the best IPAs out there, but it is not on my list of beers I want to repeatedly drink.

2.91/5  rDev -32%

smells like a lot of other pale ales and IPAs (which I am not a fan of). too hoppy without being spicy, rich or flavorful. i should qualify this by saying i like wheaty beers, particularly pilsners and lagers. has in my opinion a high bitterness to it that i don't care for; that's why i usually steer clear of IPAs.

[edit 7/30/13] i'm developing my palette. i'm starting to like stone's ipa line now. this one isn't as good as enjoy by, but i am learning to appreciate it.

2.91/5  rDev -32%

This beer pours a couldy orange color with a small head and minimal lacing on the glass. The aroma is very hoppy - like most micro IPA's. The flavor was very hoppy and spicy as the aroma hinted at. This is a good representation of the IPA class and if you're a hop head, this one is for you.

2.93/5  rDev -31.5%

Ruination pours a light orange with a bubbly white head. Some lacing remains on the glass as I drink, and lots of tiny bubbles shoot up from the bottom of my glass as soon as I pour. The scent gives some sweet malt and piney resin notes, but only very faintly.

The taste is sweet, citrus flavors up front, mixed with grainy malt notes. This leads to astringent, harsh bitterness that lingers on my palage. As the beer warms, the bitterness remains, but the rest of the flavors seem to disappear.

The carbonation is nice, but it's the only nice thing about the mouthfeel - otherwise the beer seems a bit thin. I'd expect even more resin notes from such a hoppy beer. As for the taste, I'm very disappointed. It's overly hoppy, but little hop flavor seems to come through - only a harsh, unbalanced bitterness. I was hoping for, and expecting, more, from Stone.

2.97/5  rDev -30.6%

Clear straw coloured, white 1cm head is actually larger than on the regular IPA, but is fully diminishing. Aroma surprises for it’s not nearly as intense as it’s made out to be. Straight hops hit the nostrils, earth like, citrus like and mostly fuelic. In mouth, flavors are intense, but hard to put words on. It’s very perfumey, somehow leathery, acid, fuelic. Generous alcohol vapours come through. Fine body helps the drinkability a lot with its adequate medium carbonation, but if not thin, it’s definitely not full. Miles away from a yulesmith or dreadnaught’s flexibility. Mostly pure hoppiness and I found nothing to mention about the malt although there’s a considerable bill felt.

Heya... as expected super hoppy. Huge hit of lychee, pine and citric bitterness. Rich, warming and a little medicinal. A malt liqour style shot of alcohol right at the end aswell. Nice bitterness. Thanks be to Greg from Stone fro bringing this bottle all the way to Sydney, very nice guy!!

3.02/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Aromas of a boat ton of citrus and grapefruit hoppiness. Underlying light pale malt sweetness beneath the hops.
The taste is big big citrusy hops upfront along with lots of bitterness; extremely dry finish. Citrus returns in the aftertaste along with some lesser grapefruit and some sticky pine as well.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied with average carbonation. This brew really dries out the mouth; I need a pretzel to clean my palate after this hop monster.
Overall this beer is just too resiny and bitter with zero malt backbone that I just can't get into. It literally ruins your palate as it promises and I appreciate the purpose but this is over the top. Some may like this but I am not one of them.

3.02/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A = Nice amber yellow with about a finger head. Light to moderate lacing.

S = Very nice smell. Earthy sweetness. Citrus and grassy.

T = Mellow sweetness initially, then a very bitter hop that lingers way too long. Almost a bitter grapefruit taste. Something out of balance here.

M = Pretty good in the mouth. Nice carbonation. Not too thin.

D = Found this to be a chore to drink. Not much alcohol taste, but the bitterness controls this brew.

3.06/5  rDev -28.5%

A- A very pretty, sparkly gold and perfectly clear showing lots of little carbonation bubbles. A 2 inch head which holds for what seems like forever and leaves big layers of lacing.

S- Huge hops hiding anything else. Pine and citrus stands out with some notes of fruit peel and sugar.

T- Big pininess with moderate hop bitterness throughout and a big bitter bite at the end. There's a hint of malt backbone and alcohol but its mostly lost. Not very well balanced and overly bitter even for the style.

M- Very thin with high carbonation that adds to the biting bitterness.

D- With the carbonic acid and alpha acids tag teaming the tongue it is just too much. It is interesting and strong, but not something I would want again for a while, if ever.

3.08/5  rDev -28%

Very disappointed with this one. The initial taste is just god awful then it acts like it is going to smooth out but then finishes with a strong bitterness. Expecting much more from Stone.

3.08/5  rDev -28%

The beer poured a nice dark caramel color witha nice head. The smell was a strong hop/fruit and other smells I couldnt put my finger on..It is a very busy beer. The taste was strong, hoppy and had a very powder like mouthfeel. Not a bad beer, but not my style.

3.1/5  rDev -27.6%

Purchased from Ray's Liquors in Wauwatosa, WI. Poured a very bright, light gold body with not much foam at all. Could this be an old bottle? I see sediment in the bottle... Aroma is great -- fruity and citrusy hops. Medium bodied, this beer blasts you with hops up front which then linger on the sides of the tongue. Spicy bitterness that is on the end of the spectrum that I don't like. Warming alcohol feeling in the finish. I won't be trying this again unless I see it at a tasting where I might get a sampling that is more fresh.

3.11/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not bad but tasted more like a Belgium or English style IPA to me. Left something desired for overall taste. To crisp to the tongue or over carbonated. Wouldn't turn one down if gave to me I just think there are better for the value.

If I'm drinking English style IPA's I'm drinking 400 lb monkey personally.

3.11/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

A: Very clear amber color - like a dark apple juice. Has a small white cap that fades mostly leaving just a think layer and nice lacing.

S: Nice fruit smells, citrus and pineapple. Some pine and hops smells are present but not as powerful as the citrus.

T: Citrus start - with some astringent qualities that seem to build with each sip.

M: Smooth all of the way through. Nice mouth feel. Right level of carbonation.

O: This is my second Stone beer in a row that seemed to have an overpowering astringent aftertaste. This had a best by date of one month from now. I am hoping to buy the new Stone 12 pack, which will definitely be fresh and retry a few of these.

3.12/5  rDev -27.1%

Been working on this bottle for almost 45 minutes. About four ounces left in the goblet. Drinking this beer has been a very interesting experience. Excitement filled me as the beautiful orange liquid filled my glass. Reaked of hops and nothing else, pleasant. Once in the mouth the hops became biting. Gripping my mouth and throat all the way. I've always thought hops were my friend. Never would imagine there ever being too much of them. A glimpse of pure bliss that is swiftly destroyed by the crushing force of bitterness drawn out into eternal cottonmouth.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing