Stone Ruination IPA | Stone Brewing

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Ratings: 10,838 |  Reviews: 3,077
2.73/5  rDev -36.2%

Poured the Ruination IPA into my 23 oz. glass, which gave a huge head (possibly bad pouring on my part)

Appearance: nice gold look, white head, looks really good
Smell: hops, that's about it; smells good though
Taste: the first few sips were good, then it went downhill from there; very much a champagne flavor; I could taste a lot of alcohol in this eventhough it's only 7.7%; the hops were there, but the champagne flavor was dominant
Mouthfeel: lots of head at first; it was decent though
Drinkability: not good for this beer at all; i couldn't get the whole 22 oz. bottle into my glass, and after i finished the portion in my glass, i really didn't feel like drinking the rest of it, eventhough i did.

Overall, I wasn't very impressed with this beer for all the hype it receives.

2.74/5  rDev -36%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Let me preface this by saying that I have been regularly consuming hoppy beers for quite some time now, and I feel confident in my ability to judge them. And let me add that overall I love Stone and respect what they do. I just don't understand why this beer is rated so highly.

Ruination pours very clear; a tawny orange color. A decent-looking head forms, but does not stay long. Hardly any lacing.

The nose is pathetic for a DIPA. You practically have to submerge your nose to detect it at all. And it's just piney... with a hint of caramel. No complexity here.

The first couple sips were bad. Just a wave of bitterness with no complex hops flavors whatsoever. After I let it warm some more, pine and citrus flavors (mostly just pine) strengthen. I found that the bitterness was only bearable by swishing each sip around in my mouth until it was thoroughly acclimated to the temperature in my mouth. Only through these means can you appreciate that there is some sweetness to this beer, even if it's very well hidden. After the beer adjusts to the temperature of your mouth, you can pick up some candied pineapple and caramel flavors. These little flavors are the only things that save this beer from catastrophe.

The body is a little light for a DIPA, but swishing contributes to a certain creamy feel.

As for drinkability... there really is none. It took me almost 2 hours to drink 12 oz. It's just so overwhelmingly bitter, you can't help but pace yourself.

Having said all that, it's definitely not the worst DIPA I've had. But I have to disagree with the quotation underneath the logo on the bottle, "A liquid poem to the glory of the hop." No. I've had so many beers that are so much better at highlighting all of the deliciousness and complexity you can get from using a good variety of hops. This beer, on the other hand, is an ode to bitterness, that's it.

2.76/5  rDev -35.5%

Pours a faded butterscotch coupled with a nice fluffy milky froth which dissolves in clusters. Smells floral with orange citrus and fruit. Hop is strong and up front as usual. I taste astringent grapefruit with an everlasting linger and a touch of sweetener. Good for the style, but it's my least favorite Stone thus far.

2.8/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought a bottle. Pours out nice with a nice slow falling head. Dark golden color.

Smells yeasty and piney.

Tastes like bitter pine sol....Aftertaste makes me thinking maybe i've been sucking on pennies instead of drinking beer....

I'm wondering if i got an old bottle or something because this is in no way a 'good beer'....

2.8/5  rDev -34.6%

22oz poured into a pint glass

Crystal clear yellow gold with a slight orange tint. A big fluffy white head with some visible carbonation

Smells of pine and citrus. Some sweetness is there as well. The scent is much like their standard IPA just more intense. This one lets you know its gonna get you.

The taste is much the same, just in GREAT excess. This one hits you... hard. Big bitter hop flavor, right up front. Pine is right behind, if not right along side the bitter taste. Then a tart citric flavor of lemon and orange comes in. After I swallowed, that bitterness comes back and bites yet again.

Feels medium bodied. This one had a real astringent quality to it. There's this stinging feeling, kind of like the way sucking on a lemon feels, bitter, tart and harsh. Difficult to get down at times. The drying quality of the alcohol comes in at the very end.

I enjoy hoppy IPAs but this one is just too much. The flavors are there but are there in EXCESS. Hops. Pine. Citrus. All there. All in a big big way. Stone's regular IPA is delicious, far more enjoyable and much more drinkable for my palate.

2.81/5  rDev -34.3%

The aftertaste is indescribable the taste is good but the aftertaste isn't a good one

2.82/5  rDev -34.1%

12oz bottle, standard pint glass

A - poured a massive head of big pillowy egg shell colored foam, becoming more and more dense as it sits there, and lacing all the way down. the beer is a nice bright golden color and slightly hazy

S - loads of citrus hops, both bitter and sweet. some pine, floral, grassiness...the entire spectrum of the hops world. mouth watering.

T - not sure if this is a bad bottle, an old bottle, or what...all of the yummy hop smells are gone and replaced with all i can describe as, burnt bitter grass. not that good kind of grassy hops, just way off. i used to LOVE this beer, havent had it in a long time - so again i dont know if this is off or my tastes have just changed.

M - trying to ignore the flavor, the mouthfeel is a bit thick, but carbonation is spot on.

D - really struggling with this. ill leave this review as-is, and give it another shot in the future. down the drain this goes.

Note: I have revisited (bottles and tap) this beer a few times since the review, same results. Maybe I outgrew it, but I'm just not feeling it anymore.

2.82/5  rDev -34.1%

Appearance - Nice clear amber color with a little foamy head.

Smell - Great smells of citrus and hops. Flowery.

Taste - Orange, lemon zest. Sharp and bitter. Good flavors, but hops are over-dosed in this brew...on purpose too!

Mouthfeel - Light body.

Drinkability - Got used to it quickly. Very much appreciated the freshness. Fun and worth trying again. But far from being a favorite.
Over-hyped.

2.84/5  rDev -33.6%

Poured from a bomber into a standard pint glass; pours a hazy orange color with a light tan head that dissipates pretty quickly. It's a nice looking beer.

Smells strongly of hops, and that's pretty much it. Not much depth in the scent.

Tastes very, very hoppy. The bitterness is a lot to deal with. On the bottle it speaks of this IPA being ruinous to any food you plan to ingest. It is. All you can taste is bitter, bitter hops. That's okay if that's all you like in a beer (and maybe a lot of IPA fans do), but I like a little more depth.

Mouthfeel is okay. It's a little thin, and has some bite, but it's okay.

Overall, I see a lot of people think this beer is a gift from the gods. Not so much my take, but hey, at least I'm honest. this is just too hoppy.

2.85/5  rDev -33.4%

This beer pours a charming and crystal clear golden amber colour and adorns itself with a beach sand coloured cap of foam of average retention.

As would be expected the nose is rich with citrusy hops and freshly cut grass. More subdued aromas of fruits and malt follow but are dominated by the freshness of the hops.

Firm and rounded with a hearty texture this beer opens up with some promise. Malt with some hints of ripe fruits show up early in the taste but are almost instantly overpowered by the hop character. A biting and long bitterness settles on the back of the tongue and loiters for what seems an eternity. Too much unfortunately. The finish is piney, resiny and too bitter for this reviewer. I thought I was a hop head until I had this beer.

This is the second brew I have had from Stone. I do admire the effort put into their product, and the marketing of it. They are certainly skilled craftspeople, however, their style of brewing doesn't suit my tastebuds. I tasted this beer with a great deal of open-mindedness and plenty of positive comments from all... but I couldn't get into it.

2.86/5  rDev -33.2%

On a recent trip to Chinatown in San Francisco, my brother and I decided to venture away from the typical BBQ Pork Buns on the Dim-Sum menu, and ordered the Bitter Melon and Beef. I should have known, being in Chinatown, that my Western conception of melon as sweet and tangy would be challenged, but I was completely and utterly floored by just how bitter the Bitter Melon turned out to be. When I say floored, I mean it. We nearly fell out of our chairs. B-I-T-T-E-R.

When you pick up a bottle of Stone's Ruination IPA, you are not left wondering about the experience to come. Not a little type is wasted on bragging to what great lengths Stone has infused their IPA with bitterness. Perhaps too much. While one does drink an IPA for the bitterness, one should also expect it to satisfy more than a small area on the back of your tongue.

Not only was the beer not as bitter as expected, but that was the overwhelming taste characteristic present. A good IPA should be bitter, yes, but not a one trick taste pony. I'd hoped, being so highly praised on this site, that Ruination IPA would be more engaging, but I was more or less bored after the first sip, but I guess that's partly the point. The label itself says that after a single taste, even food would turn to ash in your mouth, but I didn't know that the beer was included in that ruination.

If you like IPA's, you'll probably come upon this one eventually in your search for the best, but I think you'll be disappointed. Ruination IPA; well said.

2.86/5  rDev -33.2%

Poured from bottle, active pour yields good head, nicely colored off-white with a golden tint. Leaves nice lacing on glass. The color is yellow orangish, looks too close to a macro lager for my taste.

Smell is really lacking for me. It just smells like an English ale of weak IPA. Good hop flavor with a nice, mild malt backing. There is a little bit of sweetness too. The hops are the predominant flavor with a very long finish, great hop flavor but not bitter, very smooth. The hop flavor stays in your mouth after swallowing but it is very nice, no need to have a drink of water like some other IIPAs require. While good tasting, it does not seem like an Imperial IPA to me, too mild. Good mouthfeel, provides a nice coating with requisite weight.

Drinkability is high, I could easily enjoy more than one.

This beer did not live up to reputation nor the name. Maybe the weak aroma indicates an old sample, no dating on bottle. I would like to try a known fresh sample, but this beer, while good as an IPA did not meet up to my standards for an IIPA nor did it meet up to it's namesake.

2.89/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Look was great! Smell didn't rip my taste bud apart. Taste wasnt too good. Feel was ok. overall okay. I would drink it if someone gave it to me for free but other than that im not buying it again. People are way too hopped out and i am a hop lover!

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing