Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout | Stone Brewing

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal StoutStone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by ThreeWiseMen on 07-02-2008

4.1
10%

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from the bottle a deep solid black with two fingers of rich, creamy tan head.

Aroma of sweet roasted malts, a bit of chocolate, and a freshly baked oatmeal cookie.

Tastes of roasted malts, dark chocolate, a bit of bitter hops, and some booze. Some dark fruits appear in the finish.

Lighter bodied, smooth, and moderately carbonated.

A pretty easy-drinking stout from Stone.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

Stone IRS stem. Purchased somewhere in Nashvegas last year. Really black pour with espresso colored finger of froth. Aroma of bitter chocolate, Kit Kats.

Pretty bitter...dark chocolate meets cocoa nibs. Easy drinking, but all bitter chocolate. Well, bitter hops too, but a big roasty chocolate stout with a mostly chocolate taste.

Drinkability is good and I certainly appreciate Stone's efforts here.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

I remember fartingdog bringing this over but can't remember if it was from him or not. Thanks! Also had a glass at the brewpub a couple days before.

Pours an opaque dark brown, almost black, thin tan head forms, quickly settles to a flimsy ring, some lace spots. Smell is licorice and chocolate, some roast, caramel, oats, biscuit, alcohol, bit of fruitiness, kind of interesting. Taste is quite sweet, licorice, chocolate milk, toffee, some roast, oatmeal, biscuits, very malty beast, dark fruits and cherries, yeast, alcohol, decent balance in the finish, touch of roasty bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation, some warmth going down. Smooth for its strength, just didn't do much for me. Found it a bit too sweet and was expecting more of an intense chocolate rather than so much fruit.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

Serving type- 22 ounce bomber poured into a snifter glass.

A- Pours black in color with enough subtle head to tell that it is tan in color. The head disipates rather quickly. There is no cling to the glass after pour.

S- There are subtle chocolate and alcohol notes in the smell. I am also getting a roasted malt smell as well. Overall nothing to prominent or particularly appealing.

T- There are flavor combinations of roasted malt, chocolate, cocco and an alcohol finish. I am not really getting any tastes of the oatmeal portion but I have been hanging on to tihs for awhile so that might be a reason.

This has been sitting in my cellar for 8-9 months and I finally decided to pull it out and give it a try. I must say I am not overly impressed with this beer, especially since all the other beers that I have had from Stone have been top notch. Probably won't get this again.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

I considered aging this one based upon what I've heard from others, but I couldn't help myself. Also, I've only one bottle.

The beer pours a serious inky black. It looks as if it would permanently stain my skin if I were to touch it. Not much of anything in the way of a head as there's only a thin collar of tan.

Smells of rich dark chocolates, but doesn't have the immense bitterness I had anticipated. There is a presence of brown sugar and a faint scent of plums.

Taste is somewhat muted in comparison to the smell. There's a roasted bitter chocolate. The bitterness balances out any residual sweetness. There's a slightly grainy cocoa, but beyond this there isn't much.

Mouthfeel is creepily smooth, but not as thick and viscous as it looked when pouring. The feel comes off as a bit of paradox in my mind. There's an interesting rich fullness that builds on the palate. Pretty damn drinkable as the alcohol doesn't come off as intrusive even during the later days of August.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

Appearance: Pours a dark motor oil that a bystander described as "disgusting." But us beer wisemen knew to be a defining and awesome quality. Not much head here, but the little head that does permeate is a dark brown. It looks gorgeous.

Smell: Unique smell, downright badass. Chocolate mixed with oatmeal. The chocolate presents itself as a dark smokey bitter smell. The oatmeal mixes and overwhelms the chocolate smell. One wisemen describes it as 'oatbread' or 'oatflour'.

Taste: Peculiar, the mixture of chocolate, oatmeal, and hops doesn't mesh as well as you would think. A definite taste of alcohol, with an ashy finish. Smokey aftertaste that hangs around. A real heavy malt presence. Not the most delicious beer but a challenge for your taste buds. One wiseman gave this a 4; the other a 3. We did a little algebra and came up with a 3.5.

Mouthfeel: Feels thick, but lighter than it looks. The taste lingers around in the mouth. Not dancing on the tastebuds, but stomping a good stomp.

Drinkability: I dunno if I'd sit around drinking these over better beers. Reminds the wisemen of old rasputin with oatmeal.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

Aroma included chocolate and roasted malts. Alcohol was rather heavy and solvent-like and detracted from the malt characters. This restrained itself over time but was still unwelcome. Little to no hops were noticed.

Appearance was a deep, dark black color. Opaque. Formed a thin dark tan head which didn't last. Nice legs formed when swirled in the glass.

There was a rich chocolate flavor, dark and bittersweet. Roasted grain character. Bitterness was moderate and lingered on into a dry finish. Hop character very restrained and hard to detect. Coffee and smoky notes also present. This beer might benefit from additional sweetness that simply wasn't there.

Medium-full to full-bodied with a light creamy texture and a moderate level of carbonation. Smooth. Mouthfeel was my favorite part of the beer.

Overall I'm fairly disappointed I picked up 4 bottles of this. Anyone up for a trade : ) The solventy alcohol aroma really hurt my impressions at first. Chocolate character is nice and the oatmeal seemed to lend a little creamy/oily mouthfeel. Some hop character and sweetness would have increased drinkability in my opinion. A bomber was simply too much for my tastes.

3.74/5  rDev -8.8%

This beer is a nice Chocolate Oatmeal RIS.
Appearance: The beer poured dark brown-black with a small dark brown head.
Smell: dark chocolate, roasted malt and slight alcohol at the end.
Taste: warm alcohol, roasted malts and finishes like a 70% Cacao chocolate bar.
Mouthfeel: full bodied and silky from the oatmeal.
Drinkability: I would recommend this beer to chocolate lovers and RIS drinkers, Very enjoyable, not a beer I will stock up on but I will cellar at least one for later enjoyment.

3.74/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev -9%

The big 12 from Stone, couldnt wait to try! First of all, like all Stone bottles, I love this bottle. This one stand out against their others, I dont know why, but for me it stands out and is a work of art...now on to the beer. As I could have told you before even opening the beer, it pours thick and black, a slightly thick tan head forms. Lacing and retention are a little poor I thought. Smell is strong of chocolate, almost a syrup-like chocolate. There is a strong alcohol presence in the smell that I didnt care for. Taste is good, not as complex as I thought though. Strong taste of the bitter chocolate, as expected. A small trace of caramel, some burnt grain, and perhaps some dark fruit. A bit of alochol on the back of the tounge. Low carbonation and a thick mouthfeel.

Something just didnt impress me TOO much about this beer. I dont know if I had higher expectations or if its the fact that its 115F ourt and I'm drinking a thick stout. Overall I did enjoy it, loved the bottle and liked the beer.

3.73/5  rDev -9%

JohnGalt1 sent me this one a while back in a fantastic trade!

A- Inky black, very viscous on the pour. A finger of mocha colored head rises and disappears down to a thin crown of head. Thin veils of lacing throughout the session.

S- Chocolate and dark, roasted malts. A touch sweet with a slight amount of bitter aroma. Somewhat complex, but it doesn't seem to have that extra dimension like other RIS's have.

T- Relatively sweet and bitter. A good mix between the two, flavor reminds me of chocolate and coffee. No real amount of detectable hops, but the bitterness gives the illusion of hops.

M- Heavy, creamy mouthfeel. Not much carbonation. Pretty much what I expect for this style. Very good.

D- Sweetness gets to me after a while. It also has a detectable amount of booziness to it. Still a good beer though.

Many thanks go out to Toby, a truly epic trader!

3.73/5  rDev -9%

Pours a great thick black opaque color, but with just a small bit of creamy tan head that goes away quickly and almost no lacing. Nice scent, but not as strong as I would've expected; it's dominated by a nice bitter chocolate, but there is not much of a coffee/burnt grain stout aroma and no oatmeal sweetness scent. Nice taste, hints of coffee, but mostly a nice bitter chocolate taste with a good aftertaste with it, but almost no oatmeal tones, just a little sweetness in there to offset the chocolate. It goes down creamy, but there is a definite alcohol feel that detracts from its smoothness.

3.73/5  rDev -9%

Looks thick off the pour. Very dark brown foam that settled to a thin cap with some chunky bubbles forming a collar. Spotty lacing clung to the glass. The beer was pretty much black with very thin reddish edges. Big roasty coffee aroma initially, which gave way to notes of dried fruit, dry cocoa, burnt malt, slight licorice and booze. Balanced bitterness with a nice chocolate and roast flavour. Sweet malts filled out the middle. Fruit character appeared towards the end with alcohol rounding out the finish. Full bodied, but not heavy, with fine carbonation and creamy texture. Alcohol warmth. This one's tasty as it is, but it's still a bit young and hot. Some time in the cellar should smooth things out a bit. As it is, drink it a little on the warm side or let it warm up as you're drinking. It takes the edge off the alcohol and makes for a more pleasant drink.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22 oz. bottle served in a Deschutes snifter. Thanks stxSS07 for the share.

A: Pours a dark black color with a dark mocha head forming on the pour. It recedes quickly to a thin ring that leaves some splotchy lace down the glass.

S: Some oxidation as you would expect, but in a sherry kind of way. No real paper or cardboard notes, but slightly dark and pretty fruity. Dark chocolate bitterness with some dried oats.

T: Much like the nose. Bitter dark chocolate, steel cut oats, light dark fruit with minimal oxidation. The booze is well hidden behind a touch a char.

M: Medium thick bodied with a lower carbonation level. Smooth and creamy finish.

O: This held up very nicely and the slight oxidation gave it a dark fruit character that complimented the bitter dark chocolate nicely.

3.71/5  rDev -9.5%

From a bomber, pours a silky black with a standing mocha head. Head diminishes over a few minutes yet offers a frothy trail of lace.

Notes of coffee and chocolate on the nose and sweet 'yum just don't tell anybody' goodness.

A bit sweet and rich on the tongue, nice. Touch of alcohol on the nose, otherwise quite endearing.

Sweetness may encompass and confuse....check please....

3.71/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured into my imperial pint glass.

This stout pours absolutely jet black with no light penetration. A small dirty brown head sits on top of the beer. This is a gorgeous looking stout. I served just below cellar temp to give this a chance to warm up a bit. The nose is really nice on this offering with plenty of roasted grain, bitter and rich chocolate notes, coffee, and black licorice. Once the beer warmed past cellar temp though plenty of hot alcohol notes quickly came on and overtook everything smelling like fingernail polish. The flavor profile starts out with plenty of bitter chocolate notes, light espresso, dark fruit, oats, and roasted grain. The alcohol I smelled in the nose comes across in flavor profile in the finish. The mouthfeel is velvety smooth from the oat addition with very low carbonation. It isn't nearly as viscous as some other stouts, but I like that actually. I do start feeling the warming alcohol though as I get near the bottom of this bomber. The drinkability is quite nice with how easy to drink this was both in the flavor profile and on the mouthfeel.

Bottom line I think in six months this is a huge winner, but it tasted a bit hot to me.

3.71/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours pitch black with a dark, bubbly head that settles to a thick halo. Moderate lacing.

S: Not much smell with just a light mocha aroma.

T: Lots of bitter, not much flavor. Taste is an earthy bitterness and flavors of chicory and coffee. A bit boozy.

M: Thick and heavy with a super smooth texture. Very light carbonation - just how I like my stouts.

D: Decent, but there just not much going on in the taste or smell for me to love this one.

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

bottle from awesome girlfriend...

pours perfectly. appearance is a 5... easily. black viscous, small head... perfect. exactly what I wanted and expected.

smell... not so much... pretty poor to be honest. small notes of chocolate and roasty..., but thats about it.

tastes pretty good. I was expecting more, and to be honest, I tried a 2009 brooklyn black chocolate next to it, as this is VERY similar... and I think the brooklyn is better. This has a LOT of bitterness from the chocolate, and i think the brooklyn is balanced better... it offsets the chocolate bitterness. Dont get me wrong, if stone made this, at their price points, I would buy the hell out of it. but as something that is 2 years old, i expect a bit more out of it.

edit: this is getting much better as it warms... passing the brooklyn black chocolate now. Dont drink this cold... this is MUCH better warm... which is expected, but wow, this has really changed. Chocolate on the front, not overwhelmingly so, but just in a nice balance. Great mouthfeel. nice. I wish they made this again.

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

22oz bottle into snifter. Bottled July 2008. Huge thanks to jbck109 for this one!

A: Pour pitch black with about a finger of dark brown head that stuck around for a while before disappearing into pretty much nothing. Not much in the way of lace.
S: Rich notes of roasted coffee and, just like the name, bitter dark chocolate. Not picking up much else, or really anything in the way of complexity, but what scents are there are good.
T: The coffee nose doesn’t really translate into the taste except maybe in the finish. Instead, the flavors in this beer really live up to its name. The flavor starts off creamy and “oatmealy” with a sort of creamy chocolate milkshake flavor, then finishes bitter with rich notes of dark chocolate and touch of caramel sweetness. The aftertaste has a note or two of warm alcohol but overall the flavors are very well balanced.
M: Full bodied with a thick mouthfeel that is oh so very smooth. The carbonation is a touch too tingly but I’m splitting hairs at this point.
O: I was really impressed by this one, not only in flavor, but how its held up since 08. Not that this surprised me; most everything by Stone is excellent. Thanks again jbck109 for your generosity!

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured into a stone IRS glass with a quickly fading mocha tan head floating over peat black. Smelled of boozy sweet chocolate with a touch of black pepper and oak. The alcohol burns the nostrils slightly. Tasted of dark cocoa powder, burnt oak, and peppery alcohol, with some sour notes come through at the back end. A pleasant aftertaste of bakers chocolate permeates every taste bud. The mouthfeel was silky, but powdery on the back end, and slightly viscous. A great concept for a stout. The alcohol was a little strong in the flavor profile and nose. Give this one some time and it will mellow out and improve greatly.

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber.

I must say the bottle had me intrigued. I love the gargoyle theme though Stone has much better beers.

It pours a dark chocolate color with a finger sized brown foamy head.

It smells of bitter dark chocolate, raisins, coffee beans and dark roasted malts.

A major bitterness hits the tongue on initial sip but has a hint of black coffee as well. I was hoping for a more bitter chocolate taste as the label states, but I can't taste much of it.

A nice creamy mouthfeel on each sip.

I was really hoping for more from this brew, as I love Stone beers, but it just wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout from Stone Brewing