Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout | Stone Brewing

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal StoutStone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by ThreeWiseMen on 07-02-2008

4.1
10%

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

I let this one sit out of the fridge for about 30 minutes. I was going to read the lengthy story on the back.. but by the time I got to it, I was a bit to distracted.

A- Black and think coming out of the bottle, I lick my lips in anticipation as I see the caramel brown head form.

I was going to drink this out of my Chimay chalice, but opted for my Duvel tulip.

S- Smell was great, I picked up on cocoa and I could smell the roasted malt goodness.

T- the taste didn't fail to deliver. It was everything I was hopping it would be. Nothing overpowered in this, complex, rich, yet very smooth. It wasn't too bitter, the chocolate was in perfect check, and the oat was right in line.

M - Thick and savory. The oat was very appreciated in this, gave it a creamy mouth feel

D- This was over 9% abv? Wow, never would have guessed. This beer could make me happy as a sipper, or as a more aggressively consumed drink.

This wasn't a crazy hopped up, out of whack beer. And I love it for that. If the hop shortage leads to more of these, then I would be happy.
I picked up 6 and I am looking to make the 100 mile round trip to find more.

I enjoyed some aged cheddar with this. Went very well. The wife hated the smell of this and kept complaining that she could smell it across the room.

Stone Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
12th Anniversary
22 oz brown bottle
Served in a tulip 20 oz glass

Pours an opaque black with a wonderful head on top. The head is a light brown with a fluffy quality. Excellent retention, leaving trails of sticky lacings all over the glassware.

Pleasant nose with whiffs of roasted coffee, sweetness and hops.

Strong espresso flavors mixed bitter dark chocolate. The chocolate flavors are super intense with hints of cocoa drenched in a caramel drizzle. Hints of dark fruit - maybe cherries. I also get a touch of a cream and sugar sweetness, perhaps a little whip cream too. This brew is like a Milk Stout on steroids. The finish is hoppy with a significant bite.

The mouthfeel is excellent and very smooth with a nice softness. Deceptively smooth at 9.2% ABV.

Man, I haven't had an imperial stout this good in quite some time. A great beer in all aspects. I wish I had another bomber of this to enjoy tonight. Yet another well crafted offering from Stone.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Nice and dark with a thin but decent off white head. Looks great and I love when no light can penetrate.

S: Nice rich aroma. Typical of a big stout but with a lot more chocolate and roast in the nose. I know the name is bitter chocolate, but it smells like sweet chocolate.

T: Now there's the bitterness! Damn, they really hit the nail on the head with this one. I get bitter chocolate in the taste and that silky smooth character from the oatmeal. Choklat from Southern Tier was too sweet for me but this is perfect.

M: Nice and smooth with a touch of an edge from the bitterness. Medium bodied in reality but during the blast of flavor it seems even more full bodied than that.

D: Great...one of the best beers Stone has put out in a while.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout from Stone Brewing