Stone Cali-Belgique IPA | Stone Brewing

A California-style IPA with a Belgian twist
AKA Stone Cali-Belgiƫ IPA
First Release:
September 2008

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA features a complex and surprising combination of flavors, but behind the fancy title is the simply delicious Stone IPA. The addition of a carefully selected strain of Belgian yeast adds banana and spice notes to the hoppy brightness of our flagship IPA. Think of it as an otherwise identical twin to Stone IPA that was raised in a Belgian culture. Literally.

Added by gpogo on 07-23-2008

Ratings: 3,443 |  Reviews: 1,111

4.4/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber into a Sam Adams 16oz glass.

The color is a Golden-amber, not quite copper, yellow.
Producing a Bright white head that reseeded quicker than expected but a nice soapy ish lacing

An initial whiff of a traditional California well hopped beer, followed by subtle banana and fruit esters

The carbonation is the first thing that hits my palate, followed by a kindof tangy hop bitterness pairing With a little malt and mellow sour notes

It leaves a smooth almost oily mouthfeel and the backend settles with a more dull and a more malty bitterness.

My overall impression is that if I didn't know what beer this was, I may have been more confused, but the titles describes a unique style well and it is perfectly suited to be a brilliant Stone product.

3.71/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bomber > Lagunitas mason jar

A - Pours a hazy, off-gold color, very thick 2 finger head, good lacing.
S - Smells awfuly sour, some dry pine, dank hop oil, bready malt, lots of spice.
T - Good upfront belgian flavor that fades to a sour bitterness that i find a little unpleasant.
M - Kinda refreshing once you get past the sour hop bite, and i feel the alcohol in the flavor a bit.
O - I'm not a belgian IPA guy, this has a lot of spice and character in this brew, that I'm sure would get some people excited, but its the sour belgian quality that doesnt sit right with me. Not awful, but not my thing.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

3.83/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A- pale yellow with a nice white head. Mild carbonation.

S- bready notes for sure, slight hop aroma, citrus.

T- Belgian all the way until about mid taste when the hop bitterness becomes apparent. Bready, belgian yeast, slight sweetness to it. Bitter hop finish.

M- crisp, clean, lightly carbonated, not very complex. Feels like you're drinking two different beers as it passes through your mouth. Belgian on the front and pale ale on the back.

O- I was pleased with this brew overall. I am glad it wasn't as hoppy as some belgian IPA's tend to be as that is not my favorite style. The belgian aspect of it was great.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

4.75/5  rDev +19%

4.27/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I was pleasantly surprised at the aroma of tonight's "Cali-Belgique". I dare say it had a "floral bouquet" scent about it. After tasting it a few times (drinking "through" the beautiful, foamy, 1/2 inch head) , I'd say the floral aroma was true, but with a citrus twist to it (limon/orange). Hops were definitely in the mix of flavors, but not overwhelmingly. The only "gig" I'd give it was the lingering yeast taste that stuck on my palate, which made me take another drink, one after the other. Overall, a great beer!

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%