Stone Cali-Belgique IPA | Stone Brewing

A California-style IPA with a Belgian twist
AKA Stone Cali-Belgiƫ IPA
First Release:
September 2008

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA features a complex and surprising combination of flavors, but behind the fancy title is the simply delicious Stone IPA. The addition of a carefully selected strain of Belgian yeast adds banana and spice notes to the hoppy brightness of our flagship IPA. Think of it as an otherwise identical twin to Stone IPA that was raised in a Belgian culture. Literally.

Added by gpogo on 07-23-2008

Ratings: 3,447 |  Reviews: 1,112

4.62/5  rDev +16.7%

In an attempt to "catch up" on my Beers of 2012 project, I am revisiting some old favorites. The Cali-Belgie from Stone Brewing is one that I've often labeled as my favorite from this West Coast Hop-head brewery. I had never been much of a hop-head myself and frequently found the beers from Stone a little too intense for my preference. I think my tastes have changed pretty drastically over the past few months, so Sara and I are revisiting this interesting little guy.

Stone Cali-Belgie is a twist on one of their old favorites. The brewers take their traditional IPA recipe but substitute a strain of Belgian yeast, giving just a little something 'extra.' The Cali-Belgie pours out a bright golden color with lots of soft, fluffy white foam. Foam is bountiful at first but fades slowly leaving just a small amount of lacing on the side of my Chimay glass.

The aromas of this IPA are far more interesting than I remember! There is definitely some mild hops present but they're much softer style than Stone is usually known for. The hops aromas are dominated by the floral/lightly citrus style hops without being too in-your-face or pungent. There is also a very interesting banana quality to it, very reminiscent of Juicy Fruit chewing gum.

On the palate I'm really surprised by how sweet this "IPA" is! Now don't get me wrong, there is a significant amount of hops on the tongue, but like the nose suspected its a very soft, smooth, and floral hops character. The citrus & banana component is uncanny! It tastes almost as if you were just chewing some Juicy Fruit and took a sip of a Stone IPA, it is absolutely wild!

During the time it took for us to work on this bottle of Cali-Belgie, we also had a few customers inquire about our half-full glasses. One guy was originally going to buy Bud Light but wanted to try something new. After just a couple sips of the Cali-Belgie he was converted. There are few things more satisfying than converting a Bud Light drinker to serious craft beer!

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

From notes on 12/06/11:
No freshness date; Poured in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A - One inch thick off-white and slightly fluffy head that recedes pretty quickly; Darker gold color; Visible and audible carbonation; Some lacing around the glass

S - Very inviting and complex aroma here; Lots of citrus and tropical fruit hop aromas with notes of pineapple, mango, passionfruit, grapefruit, and orange; Spicy and yeasty characteristics come through as well

T - Fruit flavors mostly consist of passionfruit, apricot, pear, with citrus flavors being mostly absent; There's a little spice in the middle of the taste with a very crisp finish for an IPA; The aftertaste is a touch bitter and tart; As the beer warms, the fruits start to mellow and the spice becomes more prominent - no doubt a strong Belgian influence here

M - Moderate carbonation; Light to medium bodied; Very smooth mouthfeel; Pretty crisp finish that leaves the mouth somewhat dry

O - This is a very interesting and unique beer for sure. It's hard to believe this is the same Stone IPA, but brewed using a Belgian yeast strain. It really does change the taste quite a bit, and while I did enjoy it, I am still partial to Stone IPA. This beer's biggest strengths were the aroma and mouthfeel, which were quite nice. I will certainly try this brew again sometime, and hope that I can try other offerings that experiment with different yeast strains much like this one.

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A clear, golden straw colored beer. Nice lacing.

Belgian yeast and a slight "double IPAness" in the aroma.

Ohh! Nice flavor. More Belgian pale to me than anything else. Great hop flavor. Great yeast flavor.

Medium bodied. Great carbonation.

I'm not really too super keen on the beers that are overly "Belgian" So... this one is a nice balance for me. It's really great.

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours clear amber with minor bubble streams. Decent layer of foam remained after the head dissipated. Lacing wasn't great, but it could have been the glass.

Aroma is lemon citrus and rose petals, plus phenols that remind me of overripe peaches and a hint of banana.

Flavor is citrus peachy funk with an assertive bitter finish. The hint of banana makes its way into the flavor as well. Maybe ripe honeydew melon too. The malt is reminiscent of fresh bread and provides a welcome sweetness to balance the hop bitterness.

Medium body with pleasant foamy carbonation that has little bite. Overall, dangerously drinkable and very smooth and soft on the palate. The sweetness up front gives way to a moderately dry finish.

I'm new to the Belgian IPA style, so I don't yet have points of reference, but really enjoyed this beer. The phenols and esters really added to what is otherwise the malt and hop profile of Stone's IPA.

3.42/5  rDev -13.6%

hazy golden amber in color. It has a thin foamy head but is quite persistant. Well carbonated. Aroma is quite full of hops, citrus with a good tangerine bouquet, floral and a touch of grass. Honey malts balance the hops.
Starts of nice and hoppy , true to its birth place. Bright citrus/floral hops. malts are honey sweet but don't really balance out the hop onslaught. Now here is the part I didn't like: The second half of this tasting to me has a sort of Welch's grape drink taste. Very off putting in my opinion.
Drinks smooth and clean, no aftertaste to speak of.
I looked through numerous reviews to see if anyone else picked up on the Welch's taste as did I and found none, so perhaps it me.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%