Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

A California-style IPA with a Belgian twist
AKA Stone Cali-België IPA
First Release:
September 2008

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA features a complex and surprising combination of flavors, but behind the fancy title is the simply delicious Stone IPA. The addition of a carefully selected strain of Belgian yeast adds banana and spice notes to the hoppy brightness of our flagship IPA. Think of it as an otherwise identical twin to Stone IPA that was raised in a Belgian culture. Literally.

Added by gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,091 | Ratings: 3,365
3.7/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. Pours a hazy deep orange with a small ring of white head. Aroma of melon, sweet citrus and other sweet fruits, and a touch of grassy hops. Flavor has a decidedly hoppy presence with some Belgian yeast, clove, and melon notes also present in the finish. This was actually a successful effort at a true Belgian-IPA blend! Nice beer.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

It has a aroma of a typical Belgium ale, it has the scent of banana and bubble gum. The taste has a good flowerily hop taste and luckily, the Belgium yeast does not completely carry through into the taste. Overall, a cool variation on the American IPA.

3.69/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy by 1/21/14. 22oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a transparent golden with amazing clarity; white head that slowly fades and leaves nice retention with decent lacing. The aromas are full of Belgian yeast. Sweet aromas. Bubblegum in the mix. The hops take a backseat in the nose. The flavors are extremely earthy. Lots of yeast, but the hops seem to really come through in the flavors. There's a nice piney bitterness to this one. Some grapefruit and hints of lime zest in the mix. Some citrus notes that linger. It ultimately finishes dry. Alcohol goes unnoticed. Mouthfeel is wonderful. It's medium-bodied; very creamy and fluffy; smooth with active carbonation. It's a fun beer to drink.

This is a very good example of how American breweries do the style. The craftsmanship is there. This is a style that I love. There's still a few other examples of the styles I prefer, but this is always a nice experience when consumed fresh.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

On tap at the Mellow here in Greensboro.Poured into a standard pint glass a peach infused medium golden with a thinner white head atop,medicinal and citric aromas mainly.Flavors have a slight medicinal quality and deep fruity esters,a citric pine hop component comes into a lingering finish.Not a bad beer but Iam not a fan of the medicinal yeasty quality it has to it.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

I think I held on to this one too long...at least a year. Still a nice experience but I'm sure I lost some of the hoppy profile. Poured a hazy orange color with a nice size off white head with lots of timy bubbles. Head retention was ok and there was thick sheets of lacing.

Smell was pretty blah. I'm sure this suffered with age. Taste was pretty pedestrian. some maltiness, hint of orange and a little hops spiciness at the end.

Mouthfeel was rich and crisp. No hint of alcohol. Drinkability was good as well. Goes down easy, taste is ok. Nice and smooth. I would like to try this fresh and see if there was more spark from the hops.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

22oz bomber with the usual Stone screen printed bottle. Thanks go out to BA PatronWizard for the chance to try this one. Stone special releases have not yet made it to GA.

Very nice, light golden pour with the very lightest hint of haze in the clear body. Head is above average but light but it does leave decent lace. Looks strong. Has a Tripel appearance.

Nose is hoppier and more IPAish than the beer drinks. The nose points more toward the West Coast IPA function of the name rather than the Belgian part.

Very smooth and really quite sweet. The hop edge only comes in at the end and in the aftertaste.

Very tasty and easy drinking and pulls off a very nice combo of styles in this relatively newly established hybrid slot.

22oz bomber served in a duvel tulip

Appears a clear, light amber when held up to the sunlight. The color of the two+ finger cap is somewhere between off-white and light tan. Sticky, spider-web lacing is littering the insides of the tulip.

Bold herbal, medicinal hop aroma. Not overly enticing. Fresh clipped pine needles make the medicinal scent a little more palatable, but still overly astringent. I think the astringency enhances the spiciness in the aroma, because it is quite noticeable. Melon, oranges and undercooked biscuits make up the rest of the nose.

Faint biscuits hit me initially and then herbal, piney and citrus hops take over. The finish is rather dry and spicy. The astringency is definitely enhanced by the spices (clove?) in the flavor. The flavors didn't seem congruent or balanced in any way until the very end. It took me a few sips before I could really wrap my head around what was going on.

Medium bodied, highly carbonated with a dry finish. A bit prickly.

As I stated above, it took me a few sips to try and figure out what they were trying to do here. Once that happened, I liked it. It's not great, but a decent offering and a style that is growing on me.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

Sampled from a growler purchased from the brewery a day prior.

A - Poured a clear golden color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Has a funky nose with grapefruit hops

T - For the most part it follows the nose with a rather dry funky flavor with a touch of grapefruit

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - I'm pretty much torn on this one as I like Stone and Belgian IPAs but the taste doesn't make me love it like other Belgian IPAs don't get me wrong its a good beer but not as good as an authentic version worth a try though if you see it

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, Cali-België (I got the Walloon labeled spelling) is a clear dark gold with an orange tinged off-white head that has long last and leaves fantastically dense, baby swiss cheese lace. The bottle is the typical Stone silkscreen with all the pretentious babble on the back, but uses a gold pigment for most of it that is flaked off and generally sloppy looking. The laces reigns supreme though, earning the high score.

Smell is great, definitely a Stone IPA, big resinous west coast hop nose, some fruitiness that I assume are the Belgian esters, as it's not really the citrus you get from Cascade family. I give this points for being the closest to what I expect from this style - not just a Belgian with an extra dose of noble hops, but decidedly a West Coast IPA. The problem is, that's pretty much all it is, I'm really not getting a lot of Belgian character behind the hop blast.

Taste is heavy on the spicy, piny hops and rather yeasty. I served this at fridge temp, like I prefer my IPAs (for both keeping and serving, to maintain the hops). Let it warm up some while I walked the dog didn't really open up many esters. Honestly, Stone's isn't my favorite IPA, and here the dankness of the hops overpowers the Belgian esters, it's just a bit to resinous for my taste. I'd like a better balance of both styles, this one swings too wide to the West, and without the hop profile I prefer out here. I guarantee that if I gave this to 9 out of 10 Portland IPA fans they wouldn't peg the Belgian character in a blind tasting.

Mouthfeel is pretty oily, nice foamy carbonation flirts with the trademark Belgian mouthfeel, but it's on the chewier, heavier side.

Drinkability is pretty good. I'm most impressed with their restraint in the ABV, it's plenty big enough to warm your cheeks without being gratuitous, as many west coast IPAs are, especially Stone. On the other hand, this was so limited, that I suppose getting a bit extra punch out of my only bottle wouldn't have hurt, but I certainly wouldn't have wanted to sacrifice the cleaner alcoholic taste. If you love Stone's IPA, you will love this, and while I like the more overt west coast influence, it's still not my favorite.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

I'm usually a huge fan of this style, but was not super impressed by this offering which I find strange since Stone makes such good IPA's. Not a bad beer, just nothing special. Pours and orangish brown with a tan head. The nose has Belgian yeasts and fruity hops over candy malts. Taste is light on the Belgian spice and on the bitter hops. Medium to full body is well carbonated.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

A- Pours a pretty clear gold color just maybe the slightest bit of a hazy. Nice white head with good retention and leaves a lot of lacing.

S- Citrus and floral hops are the first thing I notice. Also can pick up some malts and as it warmed up a little bit of yeast.

T- Pretty nice flavour. Somewhere in between a Belgian IPA and an American IPA. Nice and hoppy with a peppery yeast in there as well.

M- Medium in body and nice carbonation.

D- This one went down very easy and was enjoyable. Not quite a hop bomb but has a great balance to it.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

Was very surprised to see this at a local store - I'd never heard of it, so was excited to give it a try. I didn't set my expectations too high when I noticed that they were using the very common yeast strain of Belgian beers. I'm quite wary of that bready, herb-spicey flavor.

Smell had that bready herb-spice smell, but definitely had that extreme hoppiness common of Stone brews. Taste was a pleasant surprise. The first notable thing was that wonderful Stone IPA flavor - very American. Grapefruit and refreshing bitterness. But that herb-spice that is common of Belgian beers was more of a sweet background. As it served in this beer, it worked quite well.

Overall, really shocking. I think I've found the first Belgian-yeast beer that I can find tolerable to sit through. Is it the best beer Stone's ever made? Definitely not. But it opens a window of hope for that Belgian beer that I was getting so bored of.

3.67/5  rDev -8%

Poured in to my Duvel tulip; reddish golden rust color, incredibly clear to look through, small head with minimal lacing. Smelled of grapefruit, and hops. Taste was nice and hoppy but not so bitter as most STone beers (which I love). Working through the glass the hop bitterness and flavor seemed to diminsh. Mouthfeel was average; nothing great or bad. Drinkability was good, as the flavor was fairly mild. I would say, although a good beer, a little tame compared to Stone's other, remarkable beers. Probably will pass when i next see this in the store, but glad I tried it.

3.67/5  rDev -8%

From bomber to nonic pint glass

A: Pale golden sunset in color. Massive 3+ finger head on a reasonable pour. Sticky lacing consumed the top of my glass as the head fell.

S: The highlight of this beer. Melted butter and caramel - the moment I pop the cap it hits my nose like a sack full of half dollars.

T: Not your Daddy's IPA. Pork belly and liquid smoke on the forepalate. The malt makes an appearance too, though apparently the hops didn't get invited. It is quite apparent that this is a Belgian style brew, as the yeast used changes the profile of this one completely (the bottle states this is the Stone IPA, brewed with a special Belgian strain).

M: Like most of Stone's brews, it's the perfect level of carbonation for the style. It's creamy and luxurious, yet not so heavy as to be offputting.

O: I like that Stone has done something different here. I can say with sincereity that I prefer their standard IPA, though I'm certainly glad I picked this up. I don't know if I'll return to this one.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a Stella chalice.

Pours a hazy yellow color with a finger of white foam. Aroma is unmistakable belgian yeast - some bubblegum, clove, and phenols in the nose.

First sip presents itself as a hop-dominated flavor, with a sharp bitter middle and lingering belgian yeasty aftertaste. Overall very pleasant and flavorful. However, I'd prefer it as a straight IPA, rather than a Belgian varietal.

A good, tasty brew that would really appeal to fans of Belgian yeast flavors. Personally, I'd prefer a regular Stone IPA any day.

3.67/5  rDev -8%

Pours a completely clear orange amber with a thin creme head. Nose is perfume and floral tones. Flavor comes off as the skins of some fruit to me. Grapefruits I think. I don't like to eat grapefruit skins, and I don't really want to drink them. There's also a bitter acidic bite from too much hops, I am guessing. Earthy dirt aftertaste a bit. Carbonation is slightly aggressive and the liquid is smooth. Overall this is a below par Belgian IPA IMO. The hops are too prevalent to let the Belgian Ale side shine and it doesn't have the balance I would seek out from this style.

3.67/5  rDev -8%

A surprisingly tame Stone brew, that marries aspects of the California IPA and a Belgian strong ale.

Overall it's more IPA, which is what stone knows best. It pours a pale straw yellow, with a limited head and lacing. The aroma is light - almost like a pale lager with it's banana and honey scents.

The flavor strikes the tongue with it's tart lemon notes, but opens up nicely into a floral bouquet of flavors. The alcohol is masked by it's heavy carbonation and tartness - overall it goes down without an ounce of aggression.

3.66/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Growler

Stone Brew Co.
Escondido, CA

A hazy, golden orange with amber edges and a moderate white head that sticks around. Leaves rings of lace down the glass with every big sip. This beer could be on a magazine cover!

Sweet and tangy hop note with a ever-present punch from the Belgian yeast, although it smells a bit vinegary here for some reason. I think the strong yeast character covers up a lot of the special hop character I love about Stone IPA. Certainly an interesting marriage, but the hop aromas do get lost; and the hop aromas are one of the best things about drinking a world-class San Diego (or in this case, "Cali") IPA.

An interesting blend of California hop juice married with old-world Belgian yeast. The hops here are sweet mixed with a familiar tang and spicy peppery note from the Belgian yeast. I miss the more pungent and bitter hop presence I'm familiar with from Stone IPAs, while at the same time missing the well-crafted sweet balance found in my favorite Belgian IPAs. This one seems a bit off in both directions.

A bit thick and heavy in the mouth for my tastes, but nothing to really complain about.

A fun and relatively successful experiment, but this beer does too many things simply well, as opposed to doing anything perfectly. Good, but not great.

3.66/5  rDev -8.3%

A: Poured into a tulip glass, a beautiful orange amber with a 2-finger fluffy, white head.

S: Hoppy, with a bit of sweetness in the back. The warmer this one gets, the more the maltiness and sweetness comes through in the smell. I expected to get a bit more on the nose with this one.

T: This beer isn't as hoppy as I was expecting (or as I remembered from the first time I had it), but the hops give way to some great citrusy and floral notes. The maltiness in this beer really balances that out, giving a sweetness that cuts the bitterness of the hops. The taste lingers with you for a bit. The warmer it gets, the more the hops die down to give way to the malty and yeasty flavors.

M: I find the carbonation to be fairly light in this one. Medium-bodied and crisp.

D: Went through my glass fairly quickly, but I don't know how much I could drink. Realistically, probably no more than the bomber, but I was satisfied after my one glass.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

A - Crystal clear, gold in color. Slight head dissipates very quickly to a slight swirl which hangs on indefinately clinging to the side of the glass.

S -Bubble gum and fruity esters collide with a nice floral and resinous hop aroma. The nose is quite interesting though I am not sure how I feel about it.

T - Classic belgian yeast flavors of bubble gum and cloves combined with resiny, citrusy hops make this one of the more interesting beers I have had in a while. It all fits together quite nicely, bringing complexity not often seen in IPA offerings.

M - Medium body held up by a healthy dose of carbonation.

D - Very delicious though I was unsure at first how it would grow on me. Would definately reccommend though probably wouldn't drink it on a regular basis.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

A: hazy, apricot colored, decent one finger head is gone without a trace in less than a minute, no lacing.

S: biscuity malt, honey, plum, cedar.

T: tastes like a slightly sweeter than the average Stone beer. I honestly don't have much more to say, it's not bad, there's even some interesting tangy orange/tangerine towards the end there, maybe even some dates, but it really just tastes like a classic California hopfest.

M: medium body, weak carbonation, very sweet finish.

D: if you told me this was their IPA I'd be inclined to believe you. Alternatively if you told me that this was a dry hopped mead I'd also be inclined to believe that as well.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a nice hazy golden amber color with a 1/2 finger white head.

Smells of Belgian yeast with a nice bready character. Slightly hoppy here, but not overly so.

Good flavor. Definitely a Belgian yeast flavor profile with a distinct West Coast hop profile. Overall, not bad. This leans a bit too much toward the West Coast hops...thus overwhelming some of the complexity. Don't get me wrong - this isn't overly hopped - it just lacks some of the superior complexity of the true Belgian IPAs. Some orange peel in the taste.

Mouthfeel could use some more carbonation. Drinkability is good.

Overall, good. This lacks in certain areas but is a fair attempt at a Belgian IPA.

Edit: Looking back at this review, a 4.0 for taste was too generous.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

22 oz. bottle poured into My Duvel tulip.

A-A dense,snow white,very Belgian,3 fingers of foam
sat atop a minimally cloudy,light orange body.Retention was good and lacing was nice consisting of sticky ribbons.

S-Light citrus,clove,Old school bubblegum(The hard kind found inside packs of baseball cards)grassy hop notes,toffee and mild pine.

T-Meyer lemon,floral hops,green papaya,clove,yeast rolls,some slight banana and cracker-like malts.

M-Light/medium bodied.Nice prickly carbonation.Moderately bitter,slightly dry finish.

O-I wouldn't say that this is my favorite Stone offering but I appreciate the effort.

On tap at Armsby Abbey

A: Pale golden brown color and very hazy and 1 finger head with good retention

N: Nose has some light hops as well as sweet malts and yeasty tones and a touch of nuts, some citrus and spice from the hops

T: Taste starts with some interesting sour sugary notes, lots of raw sugar taste, an interesting fruity center and slight creamy taste, some interesting Belgian yeasty taste mixes with a slight hoppy taste, somewhat like a Belgian IPA and reminds me somewhat of Hopsinjoor, it also has some bright citrus as well as a chalky dusty cinnamon taste in the middle

M: Mouth is juicy with a lot of carbonation and kinda thin

F: Finish has some strong bitter hops and spicey hops with grassy earthy taste that maintains its sweetness as it leaves a huge bitterness on the tongue

Final thoughts: An interesting beer that combines two great beers, as many have done before it, that don't usually blend well. Even with stone doing it, it doesn't blend perfectly but they do a pretty decent job of it. It doesn't have many qualities of either Belgian tripel or Cali style IPA, but slight parts of each rounded pretty well. Its not something to drink every day but occasionally it's an interesting change.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured on-tap at the Stone Brewery. The beer poured with a honey-gold color, with a tall, frothy, bright white head. The beer looked like it had a heavy, almost syrupy feel to it. Citrus, Belgian spice, and resiny bitter-sweet aromas on the nose. The smell is very vibrant and full. The beer itself is bitter-sweet, with heavy malted and spiced flavors forming a backbone for the dry, pepper spiced hops profiles. The beer has a sweet and sour balanced aftertaste, with some bitter hops giving the beer a dry finish. The beer is sweeter than most IPAs, and the Belgian funk makes this one difficult to drink lots of, for my personal tastes, at least.

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA from Stone Brewing