Stone Cali-Belgique IPA | Stone Brewing

A California-style IPA with a Belgian twist
AKA Stone Cali-Belgiƫ IPA
First Release:
September 2008

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA features a complex and surprising combination of flavors, but behind the fancy title is the simply delicious Stone IPA. The addition of a carefully selected strain of Belgian yeast adds banana and spice notes to the hoppy brightness of our flagship IPA. Think of it as an otherwise identical twin to Stone IPA that was raised in a Belgian culture. Literally.

Added by gpogo on 07-23-2008

Ratings: 3,451 |  Reviews: 1,112
2.27/5  rDev -42.7%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a very clear, urine yellow color. A foamy, bright white head dissipated at a moderate pace leaving a lot of sticky lacing.

A nice, spicy yeast aroma greets the nose. Sadly, for me anyway, this the rare beer that smells better than it tastes. The dominate flavor is an overly sticky, sweet clove flavor.

The body is thinner than even a regular IPA and if it wasn't for that clove taste would be non-existent. I did not find this to be a very drinkable, or enjoyable, beer. I think this kind of a bastard style to begin with, with that said there are better examples of the style, go find them. Stone IPA is among my favorite IPAs and I love Belgian beers so this was a big disappointment for me.

2.33/5  rDev -41.2%

Did not like at all. Don't think ipa's and Belgian's should ever mix.

2.38/5  rDev -39.9%

2.39/5  rDev -39.6%

22 oz bottle into a tulip. From notes.

A: Pours an extremely clear golden color. Belgian-style beers shouldn't be this crystal clear. There's about two fingers worth of white-colored head. It retains decently and leaves a few rings of lacing behind. Even if the clarity scares me, it still looks good in a glass.

S: Mostly, the aroma provides notes of bready, undefined Belgian yeast. Not only does this lack definition, but it also obstructs some of the nice citrusy hops that would have otherwise popped out of the glass even more. Not bad, just rather simplistic.

T: It starts off quite bready from the yeast. The hop profile is shockingly gentle - and it's not like this was an old bottle (at the MOST, it was 2 months old: most Stone IPAs are still quite good at 2 months), it's just devoid of a hop bite. There are light touches of citrus, herbs, and pine, at least. After a few sips, it dawns on me: the yeast ruins it. It's too generic, too one-note, and too obstructive of the other flavors all at once. Add in a lousy phenolic aftertaste, and this is downright tiring to drink.

M: Not light, crisp, or refreshing. At. All. At least it's dry...I guess that's worth a quarter of a point. The yeast is so damn heavy, it just chokes the drinkability completely. Hell, it's even slightly undercarbonated for the style.

O: Moar liek Cali-Failgique, amirite? I really, REALLY hope Stone's saison is about thirty times better than this.

2.42/5  rDev -38.9%

22oz bomber poured into a large snifter.

A - Seriously cool bottle on this one. Following in Stone's trademark, this one features a "destroyed" label with the iconic gargoyle. Pours an amber brown and builds a little, off-white head. Decent head retention and some spotted lacing here and there. Some sediment is visible in the glass

S - Interesting nose on this one. A trio of citrus, yeast, and booze. Notes of hops but not as dominant as I would've initially thought. A fairly unique bouquet that really grabs my interest.

T - Unfortunately, the taste does not live up to the nose for this one. Just tastes off and flat. Muddled flavors and a rush of hop bitterness at the end just mutes everything. Not very enjoyable at all and I foresee this bomber becoming quite difficult to finish off. A shame, as I really anticipating this one.

M - Light bodied and enough carbonation to sustain this IPA.

D - However, the drinkability of this one is completely shot. I'm only halfway through my first glass and I am seriously contemplating making this my first drain pour. The bitterness wrecks havoc on the palate and each sip becomes increasingly harder than the last. A complete disappointment.

I have (and hope) an inkling this bottle may be infected or light-struck as this beer is just a complete disaster. Almost undrinkable due to the flavor imbalance.

2.53/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.53/5  rDev -36.1%

This beer was chilled and poured into an Imperial Nonic.

Appearance: The beer pours a very pleasing bright golden coloration. The head of the beer is thick with major retention. White pancake lacing marks the beers passage from my glass.

Smell: The aroma of the beer is heavy handed citrus orange, lemon, grapefruit from the hops. This combines well with yeasty clove, bubblegum aromas.

Taste: The beer delivers my expected hop bitterness. A bit grassy, grapefruit. The beer gives way to cloves and a very annoying mint flavor. In short the mint ruins my enjoyment of this beer. I want to score it higher but cannot.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer has medium body with moderate carbonation. The drinkability of this beer was ruined for me due to an astringent minty flavor. This beer is simply not brewed to my taste.

2.53/5  rDev -36.1%

Recommended by a friend. Approached with caution because this style sounded terrible. Poured a yellowish color, spices, yeat & banana on the noise. The first sip was wild. Had the yeasty Belgian bits along with the hoppy fruitiness of an IPA. But the way the banana flavor faded into the hops was rather gross. I don't see the appeal at all. How this is a growing style is beyond me, but even trying to appreciate this for what it is was difficult.

Since then, I've tried a couple others which tasted better and more balanced. Still not big on it, but make this one look even worse in hindsight.

2.55/5  rDev -35.6%

Sampled in a tulip glass while at the San Diego Airport (Stone Brewing in Terminal 2)
Appearance: Straw/gold in color. About 0.5 fingers of white head.
Smell: Well, this beer smells a lot better than it tastes. Hints of pine, citrus, and spices.
Taste: A bitter and off-putting mix of pine and pepper. It left a long and unpleasant aftertaste in my mouth. This beer also advertises the addition of a Belgian yeast that adds a banana flavor, but I did not detect this. I am not a fan at all.
Mouthfeel: Moderate-high carbonation with medium body.
Overall: In general, I am a huge fan of Stone beers, just not this one. By far, it's the worst Stone beer that I have sampled. To put it simply, this beer just doesn't taste good.

2.55/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Canned Berlin version poured into 2/3 pint glass.

Sorry but I'm not a fan of this. I guess it achieves what it sets out to do but it doesn't work for me. Not a patch on regular Stone IPA; I was expecting that with a minor Belgian twist but there is simply too much yeast character and not enough hops for my tastes. I bet it could attract a legion of Belgian beer fans but I won't be joining them. A very rare drain pour from me. Sorry Stone. I still love you. Cheers anyway

2.56/5  rDev -35.4%

22 ounce bottle from La Bodega in Riverside, CA., September 2008 for $5.99 (?).

Pours a pretty clear golden (on the dark shade) with a gorgeous thick rich head with lots of stickage. This is by far the best part of this beer.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with the other reviewers on the rest of this beer, because I was sorely tempted to toss it after the first few sips. But I stuck it out to see how it developed as it warmed, and it didn't do much for me.

Aroma of Belgian yeast, bubblegum, and a stale hops/organic (weedy) tone. Tobacco?

Flavor was harsh unfriendly hops, an odd rotten orange fruitiness, an underlying sweetness, coupled with a chewy mouthfeel I just did not enjoy.

Sorry- I appreciate experimentation, and give them credit for that, but as a beer to drink and enjoy, I just couldn't do it. In the end, I did toss about 1/3 of the bottle. Such a waste...

2.57/5  rDev -35.1%

Poured from the bomber into a Sam Adams sensory glass.

A: It pours a weak orange-goldish color with very minimal head. Fairly clear for a Belgian yeast strain, almost translucent, but a slight opaqueness in the thickest part of the glass. Good level of carbonation rising from the nucleation points. Nothing special.

S: Pretty strong nose on this. Spicy hops with Belgian frutiness and a bit of the sour funky banana one would expect, almost a rotten note hiding under there. I like the strength but it's not super enticing.

T: It hits the mouth with this weird light foaminess, almost tasteless at first. Slightly lemony, creamy. After the bitter effervescence clears some very mild breadiness shows up. Ultimately this tastes more like a highly carbonated mineral water with lemon than a beer - it's weak and a big let down. The finish is long and alkaline. Really not good.

M: The high carbonation levels give it good body, it's a nice thickness that outdoes the taste by far. A bit too carbonated, however.

D: I drank my bomber fairly quickly because I kept taking sips to try to describe whatever flavors I could find in this beer. It's really not tasty in the least, and doesn't leave you wanting more.

One of the overall worst beers released by a craft brewery in the past few years. Awful.

2.58/5  rDev -34.8%

Fresh 22oz bomber served in a large wine glass. Freshness date is BB 07/2015.

Appearance: clear and golden with a nice white head. Great Belgian lace.

Nose: sweet hops, malty, Belgian yeast funk, pears, strawberries

Taste: bitterness from the typical Cali-style hopping rates, not very Belgian flavor, fast finish with nothing but bitter.

Overall: underwhelming, next time less hops more Belgian. Especially if your going to call it Belgian. The SoCal twist didn't do it for me.

2.59/5  rDev -34.6%

Pours a one finger white head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving a good lace. Crystal clear amber color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Grapefruit nose. Flavor is grapefruit, malts are in the background, lingering bitter aftertaste that won't go away. Overpriced at $7.99 for a 22oz bottle from Beverage Warehouse Winooski, VT.

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA from Stone Brewing