Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

A California-style IPA with a Belgian twist
AKA Stone Cali-België IPA
First Release:
September 2008

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA features a complex and surprising combination of flavors, but behind the fancy title is the simply delicious Stone IPA. The addition of a carefully selected strain of Belgian yeast adds banana and spice notes to the hoppy brightness of our flagship IPA. Think of it as an otherwise identical twin to Stone IPA that was raised in a Belgian culture. Literally.

Added by gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,091 | Ratings: 3,366
4.23/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a snifter.

A: Pours clear copper with a small head that recedes quickly.

S: Hoppy citrus with some belgian sweet & spice.

T: Belgian Yeast + American Hops are a little strange to me. Not bad, just not my preference. Spicy & sweet front with a pale, bitter finish.

M: Solid, medium body & carbination.

D: 6.9% ABV is well masked. A few of these in the summer heat would sneak up on me.

4.17/5  rDev +4.5%

I have to admit, I'm a sucker for a good stone. I like the hops and I love belgian beer. This is a really good beer. I can't comment too much on the appearance, it was dark in the room I was drinking this. It was light in color and had a nice head. Great smell, a combination of the malty sweetness of a tripel overlayed with a good hop freshness. The taste mimicked this scent but with a little stronger hops flavor bordering on citrus. I drank this with some moderately spicy thai food and it complimented the panang curry squid nicely. I could drink a lot of this. If you like stone, belgian or anything with hops, give this one a try.

4.82/5  rDev +20.8%

I had been waiting to try this one since I saw that they were making it. To me it was the best of both worlds...belgian style yeast and a california IPA. It did not disapoint one bit.
It poured a very nice Dark amber color, the aromas were very much like the name suggests very true to a belgian spciy and citrusy,floral with hints of honey, then you get the aroma of the hops which added to the citrus gave it an almost blood orange scent. Taste was just outstanding typical belgian triple flavors spicy and slightly yeasty but with a nice blast of hops which gave it a nice grapefruit/ citrus like finish.In my opinion the best beer I have had in a long time... This is a perfect food beer. I had it with sauteed red snapper with a lemon butter sauce and it went perfect!! I can't wait to get some more!!

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a New Belgium globe glass.

A: Pours a golden copper color.

S: American citrusy hops with spicy Belgian yeast.

T: Tropical fruity hops mix with the spicy Belgian yeast. A bit of spice from the yeast as well. Drinks like a Belgian tripel with American IPS hops. Slightly sweet as well with some bubblegum flavors.

M: Average carbonation, medium bodied.

D: A very good experiment by Stone. I really enjoyed this one.

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours out hazy orange into tulip glass. Small white head that disolves quickly. Great lacing all the way down. The smell is very Belgium-like. Almost smells like a good wit. Lots of spiced scents. The taste was much the same. The hoppy bit of an IPA with the orange spice of a belgium wit. This made for a absolutly great compliment to the Grilled Tuna I had with this beer. The carbonation was just right for a great mouthfeel and overall a very drinkable beer.

4.32/5  rDev +8.3%

I poured this from a 22 ounce bottle into a pint glass in two sessions (over the course of one night, obviously). I put the open bottle back in the fridge between sessions.

a: Didn't generate much head despite a relatively strong pour - body is a medium golden color - glows nicely when you hold your glass up to a light.

s: Floral and hoppy.

t: I think this beer balances the Cali-style hopiness with the yeastiness of a Belgian quite nicely - rather than fighting each other, they complimented quite nicely.

m: Smooth but not especially memorable.

d: I thought this was quite easy going down, despite combining two rather intensely-flavored beer profiles.

4.03/5  rDev +1%

A: Head is a little weak on this pour; body is a perfectly clear medium gold hue.

S: First of flowery yeast aromatics, some malt sweetness. Close in are the hops, also quite flowery, a little citrus.

T: Nice hoppy flavors, I find the yeast is being overpowered a bit, but it still tastes good. Strong bitterness on the finish but with a balanced sweetness.

M: Lower carbonation than I expected but I like it that way. Mouthfeel is good, sweetness cleaned by assertive bitterness at the end.

D: Good, powerful flavors.

My first bIPA, and a good beer for sure. Would like to see more yeasty balance, but coming from Stone its no surprise the hops are the focus.

A: A fairly clear golden/copper color that poured with a finger of white head into my Sam Adams super turbolator. Nice lacing.

S: Nice blast of citrus hops. Lots of grapefruit. The yeast really does impart quite a bit on the nose. Almost smells like a wit yeast.

T: It is a stone beer and the hops are right up front. The finish is weird. It almost has a minty taste to it. Totally from the yeast. I wouldn't say it is bad just different. None of the sweetness you associate with a Belgian IPA.

M: Nice light body with plenty of carbonation.

D: All in all not too bad. Not quite to style but that is fine with me. I find the Americans really miss this style sometimes. Worth trying though.

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a nice golden color with a 2" white head and good lacing. It definitely smells like a Belgian, floral and hoppy. Wow! Tastes like hops and more hops fading to a pleasant grapefruit tang. This is a nice beer for a warm day. Very refreshing.

3.83/5  rDev -4%

Pours a very nice yellow/golden color with a decent fluffy white head and nice carbonation out of my Sam Adams Sensory glass.

Smell is of the typical pine and citrus hops with a belgian yeast character of breadiness.

Taste is closer to a tripel than any IPA, it isn't very hoppy but obviously that's a part of the style. Has small hints of spice and clove.

Mouth is medium and carbonation is high.

Probably wouldn't get this one again, but it was nice to try this once.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured an amber to golden color with a quater inch white head on top. The head laces nicely along the glass. A splash of spicy sweetness with a yeasty bread frgrances. The bready yeastiness hits the palate at the front, blending to a mild grapefruit bitterness, with a touch of grassiness at the end. a light feel at the front, it crisply dances across the palate, leaving a mild dryness on the back of the palate. This maybe one of the most well balanced belgian IPA. It is not overly hoppy, though bringing some hop strength with it, along with a strong yeasty twang. This is a very strong beer from a very unique style.

4.15/5  rDev +4%

Poured into a wine glass for a nice opaque orange body with bubbly carbonation (one-finger white head) and it looks like little yeast floaties (doubt it), plus a ring of lace. A floral hop smell is what I notice first (so typical of Stone) and then also picked some citric and lemon-zest smells. Also some orange and/or heavy fruit in the smell along with that Belgian smell of yeast and sweet/caramel malts. The taste is similiar with this being a medium-bodied beer that is balanced between both styles. Has some caramel and sweet malts and bread to make it a little chewey and sweet, while the hops are clearly evident in both passing (citric, floral taste) and on the backbite (crisp and dry). Also minor fruit notes include orange and a tad of grape and tartness - has a VERY minor champagne like quality (could also be from carbonation). Warms a little as you sip but with a lower than usual ABV from Stone and my affinity towards them I wish they would make this a permanent offering.

4.28/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Joeybeerbelly for this extra in a trade! Poured into my La Chouffe glass that was a gracious extra from Jwale73!

A- Body is a crystal clear champagne-yellow color. Pours with a nice 2 finger creamy white head that eventually fades to 1/2 finger and has perfect retention from there. Traces of lacing left all the way down the glass.

S- Smell is on the sweet side-with soft floral hops in the foreground followed by an immediate big Belgian candi sugar sweetness, a bready yeastness and a slight alcohol twinge.

T- The flavor upfront is very soft and contains herbal, floral, and medicinal hop flavors with a big sweet bready and sugary background. The flavor gets much sweeter for the finish as the hop flavors fade and sugary and bready flavors intensify. What is left to linger is a hop bitterness of minimal strength (but is long lasting) and the slightest medicinal burn.

M-Low to medium strength carbonation and a very light body.

D- This is a great offering from stone. Its no Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel but is still a darn tasty beer that is very drinkable and delicious. Good American interpretation of the style and a great beer overall.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Picked this up at Vendome Beverly Hills (Olympic Blvd) - knowing full well that bottles from this dusty place are hit n' miss. Pulled one from cooler (there were plenty sitting on the shelf...WTF???)

Anywho, this review is only meant to complement my growler one.

Looking good, clear golden hues w great lacing on the bier mug.
Aroma remains tropical...other reviewers mentioned pineapple. Yes.

Some time in the bottle may have helped the taste a tad. My palate seems to prefer this version. Finishes nice n' dry...the hops are fairly subdued at this point, but this seems appropriate for the style.

Going down like a charm...as it warms up, I'm liking it even more.

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

A big thanks goes out to lynx1245 for sharing this with me.

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear amber with gentle carbonation rising from the center. Head is loose and white; retains pretty well and leaves thick lacing.

Smell: Overripe banana, sour funk yeast components, herbal hops, and a touch of citrus (lime).

Taste: Banana, dough, spice, citrus, and herbal citric hops to complete it. Finishes with a touch of alcohol, which carries into the aftertaste. Also present in aftertaste: banana & bitter hops. Overall, tastes similar to Stone IPA with a large, sour/banana influence (like it's supposed to I suppose).

Mouthfeel: Light-medium bodied, smooth, lightly carbonated, a bit sticky, and all-in-all nice.

Drinkability: Tasty and fairly light like Stone IPA, but with a strong sourness that masks the hops to some extent. Nice and refreshing - hopefully I can try this one again.

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

22 oz bottle purchased at Bullock's in Marietta. Poured into a Devel tulip glass.

A: Pours a bright clear light orange color. It has a huge head that is a few fingers thick. As the head settles a bit it leaves clumps of bubbles behind. The head has pretty good retention.

S: A wonderful citrus aroma greets the nose before it gets close to the glass.

T: A nice malty sweetness that is balanced very well with a nice dose of citrus hops that creates the slightest of a bitter finish. I do not know if I like this as well as the regular Stone IPA, but its better than a lot of its relatives in the style.

M: The mouthfeel seems to suffer a bit with this one. Even though its well carbonated, it definitely is not creamy or smooth.

D: There is really no alcohol burn at all which is not surprising with the ABV. It is pretty balanced with the finish just slightly bitter. It goes down pretty smoothly for an IPA.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks to tai4ji2x for this bomber.

A: The ale is brilliantly clear, unimpeded by sediment, with a foamy head that laces all around the mouth of the glass. The ale has a brilliant orange glow.

S: The combination of a tripel's sweetness and an IPA's bitterness is amazing. Sweet fortified candi sugar mixes with sharp citrus hops. Belgian yeast adds a berry fruit presence. Quite nice.

T: The first sip reveals more Belgian yeast intricacies. Berries and pepper manage to make their way through the dryness. The hop profile is intense, a mango and peach bitter sweetness that has strong floral undertones. The interaction of the two flavors is bitter, a dirty combination that works.

M: Like most Belgian IPAs, this beer runs the gamut from sweet to bitter and back again. The dull bitterness that is left on the palate is a vivid reminder of the wild ride.

D: I like this much more than the Stone Collaboration Ale. The abv is lower and less boozy and the flavor profile is very intriguing.

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

Serving type- 22 ounce bomber poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a dirty straw yellow with an almost nonexistant white lace, no carbonation activity present after the pour. No cling to the side of the glass to speak of.

S- Strong combination of citrus hops and clove.

T- The hop and clove combination really comes out in the taste. The hops start off with the cloves coming in at the end.

My sister picked this up in NYC for me and I am very happy with the results. Duvel was one of my first Belgium/craft beers(and is still a favorite of mine) that helped push me into this 'scene' and because of my newfound beer hobby I have also taken a likeing to IPA's. To me this a great combination of the two beer realms. I love the clove/hop combination that this beer brings and I am going to explore further into the Belgium IPA style. My only negative is that even though Stone is offered in NC I cannot find this anywhere.

3.52/5  rDev -11.8%

A- Thick foamy frothy head. The beer is golden amber in color.

S- This has a nice smell. Clove and banana with a mix of hops. Great combination of Belgian yeast with hop taste.

T- The taste is unique. The hops are quite bitter, yet there is a nice clove taste mixed in that comes and goes. But I think the hops are a bit too bitter. They should be sweeter to combine with the clove taste.

M- The feel is good and smooth. The hops do have their way with the palate.

D- Easy to drink, but I think I would rather have my Belgians taste like Belgians and my IPAs taste like IPAs.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

I think I'm missing the point on this beer. All I taste is IPA.

The appearance is typical of an IPA, straw colored with moderate head. The aroma is dominated by hops. Hops dominate the flavor, as well, from the initial flavor to the lingiring bitterness. Mouthfeel is good, but nothing special.

Other than the fact that this seems sligtly more attenuated than Stone IPA, I'm not really seeing much of a difference. Not a bad beer, but I'm not getting it.

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

Picked up a bottle of this at Mac's in Midtown Atlanta, at the recommendation of aforbes10 (not that I needed an excuse to try this).

Poured into several high-ball glasses to share. It's blood orange in color, with a whopper of a foamy head that gradually settles down into a thin creamy cover.
Nose is as touted - sweet fruity Belgian qualities intermingling with a solid hop presence. Taste is dry fruits and flowery hops. Simple but effective. Mouthfeel could be better, but it's still good. Same for drinkability.

4.27/5  rDev +7%

Pours a not completly clear amberish yellow. Nice white head formed at the top but dissapated quick. Nice lacing.

Smell is so awesome. The Belgian yeast esters mixed with the hoppyness of the IPA is out of this world. Probably one of the nicest beers I have smelled.

It smells better than it tastes. It's a very good beer but I like the smell of it alot better. It tastes like a tripel mixed with a stone IPA. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is good. No complaints.

Overall I will have this again. It is a very good brew. I will especially get it if I see it on cask or tap.

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

Another very grateful gift from DaveCooks. In the fridge for about 6 months. Opened March 09.

A - Pours fluffy 2 finger head, lingering and lacing to start but doesnt hold the way down. Sexy clear golden color. One of the best looking beers of that color i've seen.

S - woah yummy. Flowers. But not typical hoppy, more like sweet garden flower type. Some citrus notes as well.

T - I dont know what to think. Ha. I have had the Green Flash belgian ipa and this one has it's own character...obviously. The finish is very ipa...can feel the drying and hop notes. Starts off sweet and a bit chewy. Quiet nice. I am really enjoying this. Mouthfeel is full and lingering. Again. lovely.

D - Dangerously drinkable. Light enough that it doesnt fill you up and the alcohol is very well disguised.

Had a hard time scoring this one b/c it is so easily enjoyed. Tried to back off the ratings a bit b/c the Le Freak I remember being more impressive on the palate but this is a very strong contender.

4.07/5  rDev +2%

Pours a clear golden amber color with about a finger and a half of off-white head. So clear it almost looks filtered, in fact. Head retention is not great, as the head is somewhat fizzy and only leaves a patchy, bubbly l ace. Does leave some decent stick on the sides.

Smells pretty much like an Americanized Belgian IPA should - citrus hops with an earthy, estery Belgian yeast strain. Also some bubblegum, pineapple and a bit of spicing, maybe clove. Fruit aromas really come alive as it warms up a bit.

Taste also has a nice balance between American hops and a pretty nice Belgian yeast strain and character. Hops are citrusy and quite fruity; there's a good amount of pineapple flavor to go along with the orange. It's a nice blend. It's fruitier than I expected given the smell, in fact. The hops also give a moderate amount of bitterness, which mingles with what seems to be a bit of grain. There's a slightly earthy, estery flavor from the yeast, as well as just a hint of spice. The body on this one is fine; it's a nice medium body, but the taste just feels a little thin. Every time I take a sip I'm looking for just a bit more robustness to the flavor. The flavor is good, but it doesn't quite reach greatness.

This is a very good, not great Belgian IPA. It's very smooth and has good flavor, but I wish that flavor were amped up just a decibel or so. It's very well balanced, however, and certainly quite enjoyable. It's also incredibly drinkable. Definitely recommended if you can still find it.

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

Clear and vibrant tangerine with a thick white head that fades into a nice white lacing.

Unique smell. At first it smells of pine and a of bit citrus with some sweet malts; however clove and spicy yeast lurk behind.

Tropical fruit and hoppy bitterness are the key players in this brew. The use of Belgian yeast adds an interesting amount of spicy clove to compliment the hops. Lightly toasted malt backbone helps to round out this beer.

Light-bodied and prickly carbonation improve the drinkability. Alcohol is nearly nonexistent.

Overall, this is an interesting brew that is mostly IPA with a hint of Belgian.

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA from Stone Brewing