Stone Cali-Belgique IPA | Stone Brewing

A California-style IPA with a Belgian twist
AKA Stone Cali-Belgiƫ IPA
First Release:
September 2008

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA features a complex and surprising combination of flavors, but behind the fancy title is the simply delicious Stone IPA. The addition of a carefully selected strain of Belgian yeast adds banana and spice notes to the hoppy brightness of our flagship IPA. Think of it as an otherwise identical twin to Stone IPA that was raised in a Belgian culture. Literally.

Added by gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,107 | Ratings: 3,423
3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a nice golden color with a good amount of frothy white head. Decent lacing too.

Earthy and floral hop scents right away. A sweet doughyness from the malts. The yeast adds a spicy and semi musty scent in there.

Bitter and funky! Grassy and cirtrus hops show up right away and are overpowered by the belgian yeast strain that adds and abrasive funk to it. It's almost like a sour, until the bitterness bites in at the end.

Very crisp, medium bodied.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

22 oz bottle no freshness date. I love reading the Stone stories on the bottles even though the small print leaves me cross eyed when I'm done. The story behind this one is Belgian yeast used to ferment what would otherwise be Stone IPA.

A- Pours a slightly hazy pale gold color into a chalice. One inch white, foamy head that clings to the glass.

S- The nose is unmistakable, the spicy Belgian yeast with the customary Stone hop blast.

T- The nose has me anticipating a Tripel but the taste is something else entirely. It starts dry and then I get the yeasty esters which add a banana flavor and a hint of honey like sweetness that turns sour at the finish. It reminds me of a Saison at this point.

M- Despite the modest head, the carbonation is fairly aggressive. The body is fairly light which adds to the Saison like quality.

O- This is an interesting mash up and I admire the brewer's adventurous spirit. It is enjoyable once you get beyond expectations of what it is supposed to taste like. It certainly defies any attempt to pigeon hole it. For my taste, I would prefer it to be either an IPA or a Belgian Ale. There is a bit of a clash between the IPA level hops and the Belgian yeast.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Picked this up at Green's, as I am drawn to just about anything from Stone. Poured from a bomber into a couple of tulips to split with my wife since she is the Belgian fan and I am the IPA fan. Pours a thick foamy white head on top of a golden, highly carbonated looking ale. Definitely takes on the appearance of a Belgian golden ale. The aroma is lacking much distinct character, definitely some citrus hints and maybe what I would call a "crisp" aroma, nothing much in the way of hops though. Taste is light and tart, due to the previously mentioned carbonation. I do enjoy the balance between what the Belgian yeast did to the West coast IPA style. It is a light ale, and the carbonation takes a bit away from the mouthfeel in my opinion. I realize its not an IPA, but this one lacks a bit too much in the character department for me to seek out, but it is certainly an enjoyable try.

4.29/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

A: Very active golden color with truly minimal lacing. The amber tone of the beer rings out very invitingly. I am curious to why the lacing is so much less on this Stone brew than most other Stone's of IPA caliber.

S: A fruity and strong scent eminates from the glass. One of the best smelling Stone's I've ever had.

T: Distinct and cheerful. I don't know if I'd call the taste a "fruity" one, but it's definitely in that same class of thought. A slight piney undertone that reminds me of a sweet bark/sap flavor. This is definitely up to par with the rest of the Stone brewery.

M: A solid 5, or more. I can let this brew sit in my mouth forever and not get tired of it's high activity on my taste buds. Never gets old. A very solid IPA-thickness feel.

D: Also good. Solid on the stomach but definitely not overly so. Could drink a few and be happy!

Overall: My favorite India Pale Ale ever released by the Stone brewery. Distinct taste, smell, and presence. Would buy again!

4.06/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Light amber color. Crystal clear with good carbonation rising up the glass. Thick dense wall of lace. Good thick head that goes away into a dense thin coating on top.

S: Very fruity. I get some light citrus hops but mostly a sweet, but not overly sweet fruit cocktail. Inkling of pine on the end.

T: Fruity but not overly sweet. Good citrus notes. Grapefruit and lemon peel.

M: On the heavier side of thin. Good carbonation, I'd say medium. Fairly dry finish.

D: Pretty good. I prefer AIPAs but this is a nice change from hop bombs. If you want an AIPA this is not for you. If you want something delicious and different then seek this out.

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

22oz bottle into a stone ruination ipa pint glass

A - golden amber, thick white head that leaves splotchy lace, white bubbly rings forms on top of the beer

S - not a large hop presence, lemony/citrus, floral also, pick up some of the caramel malt

T - great malt start, hops hits at the very end, not overly bitter or dry, the belgian-ish shows up in the yeast character

M - not too carbonated, medium body, alcohol is not hot or noticeable

D - great mix of a Californian IPA and Belgian IPA, more Californian than Belgian though however not a hop bomb either, will enjoy all 22 oz

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

I am not totally sure on whether the beer is acceptable in regard to the freshness. When I poured it into a pint glass, there were not as much froth action bubbling up. I don't know if that's a sign that it may be starting to get old.

The taste was good. I certainly can taste the Belgian influence int his beer that helps balance out the bitterness that we all like to see in an IPA. I certainly can taste the alcohol kicking through, and for some it might be a good thing. For me, though, I think it would be better if it was masked better.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours light yellow clear.

Overall: Started out bitter like an IPA but then added nice citrus and spicy Belgian yeasty flavors. Smooth yet crisp and overall a good IPA.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured out of a growler that was 1 week old.

Pulled the top off and there was a nice "pop". Poured into an allagash tulip. tons of carb in the pour, the head builds quick as I pour!

The smell is belgian yeast/bread/spice... followed by that signature stone hop smell!

The taste is similar. There isn't as much carb on the mouth as there was in the pour :-(
but the flavor is good. Strong hop presence that cuts through followed by agood amount of spice and bready presence.

4.38/5  rDev +9.8%

was excited to try and was certainly not dissapointed. Beautiful amber color, nice two inch head that cascaded all the way down the glass. Very easily drinkable, great citrus and piney flavors that carried the flavor throughout.

would highly recommend.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

I generally don't like IPAs but I love Belgian beers so I was interested to try this one. I found it took the best qualities of each to create a truly unique beer. If you struggle to find IPAs you enjoy, like I do, you should give this one a go. Unless you hate Belgium.

3.99/5  rDev 0%

The Beers of California

#56

Bottled Date: None

A: Clean and gold with moments of amber highlights in the right light. The head is off white, active, and fades after a significant amount of lapsed time.

S: The nose is definitely yeasty along with ester qualities. The fresh "Cali" hop notes are there but play more of a supporting role.

T: The palate is more balanced; yeast and banana, faint pineapple esters paired with citrus, pine, and flowers from the the triple "C" west coast hop combination. The malt is sweet and biscuity with some caramel also.

M: Good amount of carbonation keeps the brew lively. The feel is moderate and powdery from the yeast. The linger is there but not as noticeable given the carbonation and yeastiness of the feel.

O: Overall the yeast tempers the normal crisp and fresh Stone IPA but also adds some interest to the palate creating a nice example of the Belgian IPA style. This style seems to be growing out here on the west coast keeping the hop heads occupied while also expanding the idea of what an IPA represents.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

This beer poured a golden amber with a 2 finger high off-white head. The head dissipated after about one minute. Lacing appeared thick. The initial smell of the beer is citrus, pine and an added sweetness. The initial taste of the beer was the citrus and pine, followed by a flavoring of fruits and some spice. There was something odd about the end of the beer and it may have been how the spices meshed together. This beer had a medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall, this wasn't the best Stone offering that I have tried. I like Belgian IPA's, but this one seemed alright, nothing really special, which caught me off guard for a Stone. Can't say it was bad, but I don't think I'll get this one again.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

22 oz bottle served at about 45-50 degrees.

A- Light, foamy 1.5-2 finger head came off of a pour into the center of a large wine glass. Very clear golden color. Very good looking beer.

S- Light fruity smell, more specifically citrus (shocking in an IPA, I know) with a good hint of a spice smell.

T- Very complex flavor. Initial very sweet, followed by a good spice note. A mild hoppy- bitter flavor follows this up. The hops are not as strong in this beer as I thought they would be, given Stone's aggressive attitude, but it was nice all the same.

M-Good mouthfeel, goes down smooth.

D- Very easy to drink. I drank on 22oz bottle as I wrote this review, and could definitely go for another.

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%

Draft poured a bone white head that was very quick to disperse. Pale orange and straw color that is clear.

Aromas are of the citrus variety representing a nice orange and piney hop aroma with a nice spice background of coriander and pine.

Bitter orange peel and earthy hops are pronounced followed by a surprisingly suble yeast influence and a nice amount of burnt caramel. Overall it's a easy drinker but I have not been overwhelmed by it's flavor. There was a faint chalky taste but I don't attribute that to the beer.

2.61/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - Appearance is clear copper color with a tall off white head.

S - Spice and grains backed up by some citrus hops.

T - Spice and grains. The hops aren't easily detected.

M - Thin and unremarkable.

D - Too much spice for me, but if you like the Vertical Epic release you will probably like this as well.

This is definitely not my style. That being said if you like strongly spiced beers you'll enjoy this one. I would attempt to describe the spice but I dislike this one so much I don't care to try.

this one was just ok for me. im starting to get into the belgian ipa thing but lagunitas little sumpin wild is alot better. maybe this bottle little old the hops are not the usual stone in your face, the bubblegum flavor not as tasty here, too refined. pass on this one.

3.8/5  rDev -4.8%

A- A hazy golden yellow color with a two finger head. Falls to a slight ring of bubbles around glass. Good lacing.

S - There is an interesting blend of a yeasty bread and citrusy hops aroma.

T - The large hop characteris balanced form the Belgian bread and malt character, the hops don't trounce all of the flavors like the stone IPA, rather it's a more balanced beer with a good finish with touches of Belgian spices.

M - Medium body, good carbonation.

O - Awesome beer. Maybe not the best California IPA/ Belgian beer, but darn good.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: High clarity and pale yellow IPA. Thin white head and low carbonation.

S: Good Belgian yeast funk! Some clean and herbal hops, citrus, sweet white bread, cedar.

T: Mind blowing! This is really different than anything I've had before, I dig it! There is kind of a sweaty aftertaste, which it gets dinged for. Bonus for originality. Sour notes and moderate hop bitterness. I feel like there are some floral notes that want to come out but are masked. Heavy yeasty, malty flavor.

M: Dry and thin, light on the palate. Medium level carbonation. Lets the bitterness hang on just long enough.

O: It's great for a niche beer. I don't know if I could drink these every day, but I think it might come down to taste acquisition. Really unlike anything I've had before. A good example for home brewers to see what a big difference a yeast makes.

4.23/5  rDev +6%

Bright golden color with a long-lasting white head. Spices dominate the nose with a slight citrus aroma. Spices and citrus again on the palate with maybe some lemon rind and/or orange peel. The hopping is definitely noticeable and comes through nicely to stand together with the fruity and spicy flavors. Very well blended overall but losing half a point for perhaps pushing the spice out front a little too much in my opinion. The variety of flavors really reaches every corner of the palate and creates a sensory whirlwind. Great carbonation that's lively and not overpowering. Very drinkable all in all but I would have liked the spices to be a bit more subdued. Nonetheless, this is an excellent beer.

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy By 9/6/15.

L -- Pours a hazy golden color with a thick white head that sticks around for a long time and clings to the side, leaving a little lace behind.

S -- Yeasty and a little spicy. Hoppy to a lesser degree, mostly in the form of a light pine scent.

T -- Yeast and hops wrestle together for attention, with the yeast winning out at first. The hops add light citrus, floral flavors to it. The yeast leaves a spicy feel on the tongue in the aftertaste. Letting it warm on the tongue, I get more grapefruit rind and pine. Nearly room temp and banana becomes more prominent.

F -- Crisp, dry, bitter. Light-to-medium body. Reminds of the feel from some of the better Belgian tripels (not the same, but to me, similar).

O -- At first I was a bit confounded, trying to make this into an IPA or Belgian beer in my head. When I gave up making it one or the other, and let it be, it started to grow on me quickly. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. The flavors seem to work well together, blending into something more than the parts. My favorite sips were the ones that came in piney and ended up yeThe Belgian yeast lends a lot to the scent/flavor/feel and is a good step away from hop bombs or malty marauders. If you have a friend who loves IPAs but was never sold on Belgians, this could be a good transition beer.

2.66/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a pint glass. No best by date.

Appearance: Pilsner yellow with a thick white head. Lacing is about a 6/10.

Aroma: Belgian yeast w/ hop resins and pine. A little peppery and spicy.

Flavor: Dominant flavor is the belgian spices, similar to a wit, but with a very strong bitter streak coming from the hops. The two flavors are not supported very well by any malt sweetness, and I don't think they are very complementary. Interesting, but I'd say that's the only reason for finishing this bomber.

MF: Drinks a lot like a white, but I think the bitterness (in this context) is off putting

4.43/5  rDev +11%

A: Nice golden color with a little bit of an orange color. Pours with a nice two finger sized head that recedes a bit slowly and leaves a nice lacing around the glass.

S: Smells pretty similar to the IPA in respects to the hops used (I suppose that's a "DUH") being very tart and piney. However it does have a very slight bublegum-esque malty scent. Very nice.

T: Starts out with a nice Belgian Pale Ale type of flavor then instantly disappears and gives way to the familiarity of Stone's flagship IPA, and ends with a nice bitter hop after flavor with a slight hint of that Belgian returning. Stone was right in saying "an identical twin raised in a Belgian culture"

MF: Pretty identical to their IPA. I like a bit of a thicker beer so I'll be nit picky and say it's a smidgen watery but that's being really picky.

D: Very very drinkable beer, high marks on this one. I would absolutely love to see a 6 pack of this and the IPA together (3 & 3).

Cheers on another great beer Stone!

2.22/5  rDev -44.4%

Poured 22oz bomber in tulip glass; light amber color with nice tall head that does not last long but nice lacing; lighter than expected from a Stone IPA oily and flat with long astringent finish; too flowery in the aroma with smell of hay; bitter flowery taste to with strong alchohol; pretty dissapointing for a Stone brew!

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

Enjoyed on tap at Freshcraft in Denver.

Pours a slightly hazy pale copper. Thin off-white head with poor retention gives way to meager lacing.

Smells of citrus, grass, orange peel, tobacco, honey and mint. On the weak side, presumably due to the lack of a good head.

Tastes like Stone IPA with a twist. Similar hop profile, but a good deal yeastier, bringing out a bready flavor. Honey, orange, and subtle pine notes are present. Delicious

Great MF. Crisp and clean; sessionable. A great, light bodied beer - awesome for summer. Very resinous; sticks to the teeth for quite some time.

A great twist on Stone's famous American IPA. I will most certainly seek this one out again.

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA from Stone Brewing