Stone Cali-Belgique IPA | Stone Brewing

A California-style IPA with a Belgian twist
AKA Stone Cali-België IPA
First Release:
September 2008

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA features a complex and surprising combination of flavors, but behind the fancy title is the simply delicious Stone IPA. The addition of a carefully selected strain of Belgian yeast adds banana and spice notes to the hoppy brightness of our flagship IPA. Think of it as an otherwise identical twin to Stone IPA that was raised in a Belgian culture. Literally.

Added by gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,097 | Ratings: 3,382
3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

With the only difference being the yeast supposedly, there are some major differences. Unlike the Stone IPA (IPA) being a hazy gold color, the Cali-Belgique (CB) is crystal clear. The smell is also drastically different, the aroma is overwhelmed by spicy, belgian yeast aromas with only hints of the pine and citrus. The taste reflects this exactly, tastes like the IPA but overwhelmed by the flavors created by the Belgian Yeast. Overall an ok beer, but I definitely prefer the regular stone IPA. I feel the Belgian yeast hinders the flavor instead of improving it. Still an ok brew though, worth trying out. Especially if your into Belgian style beers.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Dry peppery and can't believe this is 6.9 for an Abv. A lovely example that I would be happy to belly up to again and again. Just so I can pad the would count from one of my favourite chalices for tastings the Schiltz American Abbey series. Nice residual sweetness balanced against aggressive dry hopping all making for a nice brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bottle etching says enjoy by 3/24/11. Pours a very clear and bright golden/banana yellow with two fingers of frothy foam and good carbonation. Great lacing! The nose is rich and complex. A well balanced malt strikes first with classic Belgian ale notes of coriander and banana but there is an extra crisp element to it. It doesn't come across like a classic IPA would but I can definitely detect an element of hoppiness to go along with it. Medium bodied. Coats the entire palate but not in a heavy manner. Carbonation seems a bit low. The palate is very interesting. It comes across as more half Belgian golden ale and half IPA than does the nose. The hops stay with you the entire way but don't dominate at all. They give only a very mild resiny quality but manage to be bright and crisp without being overwhelmingly bitter. You still get enough coriander and malty sweetness to remind you of the Belgian influence. The finish is fairly clean and smooth. Very drinkable. This is a neat beer. Unique but not overly impressive. I'm not disappointed but I was expecting a bit more.

4.04/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance: A clear golden burgundy, when looking at my fingers through the glass they appear a shade of amber. About a finger of head with little lacing.

Smell: Citrusy, and hoppy, very fresh and springy smell. I wish my laundry smelled this good.

Taste: The hops, barley and yeast in this brew mix together for a fine Grapefruit taste that does not disappoint.

Mouthfeel: Kind of light but creamy at the same time, it's a fine feeling brew, not quite good but fine.

Drinkability: Very nice, I wish Stone would produce this in a sixer as I could go for a few more.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

A - Crystal clear, gold in color. Slight head dissipates very quickly to a slight swirl which hangs on indefinately clinging to the side of the glass.

S -Bubble gum and fruity esters collide with a nice floral and resinous hop aroma. The nose is quite interesting though I am not sure how I feel about it.

T - Classic belgian yeast flavors of bubble gum and cloves combined with resiny, citrusy hops make this one of the more interesting beers I have had in a while. It all fits together quite nicely, bringing complexity not often seen in IPA offerings.

M - Medium body held up by a healthy dose of carbonation.

D - Very delicious though I was unsure at first how it would grow on me. Would definately reccommend though probably wouldn't drink it on a regular basis.

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a nice golden color with a 2" white head and good lacing. It definitely smells like a Belgian, floral and hoppy. Wow! Tastes like hops and more hops fading to a pleasant grapefruit tang. This is a nice beer for a warm day. Very refreshing.

3.55/5  rDev -11%

Cloudy yellow-orange color with white head. Nice lacing. Sweet, sweet pale malt aroma, with a citrusy hop presence, orange peel. Palate is filled with malt, very very sweet, perhaps too sweet. Citrusy hops really come out in the finish. Bitter and dry. This beer for me is best described as a beer that starts like a triple and ends like an IPA. This beer seems to have two distinct phases. I would like to feel as though everything blended together for a more consistently balanced taste throughout. Contrary to other reviews, I did not think this was closer to the IPA end of the spectrum. I could have used some more hops. The beer is a bit too sweet upfront.

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance: A rich golden color. 12-15 SRM, perhaps. Poured clear.

Smell: A bright hoppy nose.

Taste: This is where the ale shines. The Cali-Belgique features a nice balance of a sharp hoppiness and a belgian spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, smooth but with sharp initial hops

Drinkability: This is my first try at a California IPA/Belgian hybrid. And I liked it! I really enjoyed the belgain influence on the IPA-ness. You get some really nice hop notes but it's not as heavy handed as a lot of IPA's I've tried. I don't know what the availability of this beer is but if you have a chance, it's definitely worth a pint. Or two.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

When poured into a glass, this beer settles into a hazy body with a rusty hue. The top is accented by specks of white head.

Aromas erupt with scents of pepper. Some hints of candy sugar add character.

Taste slowly moves in: it is a strong, dry mouth-feel but the flavors of dried figs and currants are what define this beer. Hops add some of the peppery spice to back up the sweetness.

Clean, well balanced characteristics make this hybrid a nice drink: complex yet easy.

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

22 oz bomb, into a chilled pint glass.

The pour was good, an oranges gold. A freshly oiled oak cabinet look. About 3/4-1 inch head sat ontop for a good while leaving a nice film.

A semi spicy aroma. This blends with a little bit of hop and oak ish smells. All of which a little faint.

Finding a surprising spice in the flavor as well. Maybe white pepper, there is a little lemon, and some green on the back of the pallet. A bitter fresh hop.

There wa a little more texture than I originally saw from the first pour. But when re-filling my glass I saw the visible viscosity that it possesses. A little heavier than I'd like.

I like it, just not lovin it. But keep up the good work stone.
$4.99 bottle

2.24/5  rDev -43.9%

I have been on an IPA kick lately and I picked this up on one of my recent shopping sprees... I feel like I had it at some point in the past but couldn't remember for sure so I snagged one...

Appearance; pours a lovely crisp goldenrod color, head went kinda crazy for me on this one (I may have had a violent pour...) i got three fingers of nice white head, started off with super fine bubbles, with a few large ones interspersed, the head gave way to larger bubbles not unlike bubble bath... Lacing is ok, retention is poor, all that's left of the the three fingers of head is a thin film.

Smell; smell is just kind of off... It's got a slightly pungent aroma similar to other belgians I can remember with a hint of honey and some slight pine hop aromas in there...

Taste; unfortunately was not what I was expecting... Its kind of a mish mash of an IPA and a Belgian, as if a drunken bartender somewhere starting pouring an IPA for someone who ordered a Belgian and rather than dumping or setting aside the IPA, added the belgian to what was already in the glass... Belgian yeast flavor dominates this and I get the slightest pine and hop bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel; effervescent, much like Belgians I've had in the past, but aside from that fairly unremarkable, generally speaking I prefer thicker, full bodies beers, and this falls in the light body category in my opinion, which isn't bad, just not exactly what I was expecting...

Overall; I really feel like I'm trashing this beer unfortunately, however I am being honest with my impressions. I feel like Cali-Belgique does two things half as well as a beer that does one thing pretty well... Kind of brings the saying "jack of all trades, master of none" to my mind. Perhaps this is simply a style I am incapable of appreciating and I'll likely revisit this one at some point a couple more times at varying intervals to give it (and any changes my palate goes through) another shot.

4.06/5  rDev +1.8%

Bomber poured into a tulip.

A-Pours a bubbly golden with a finger of white head that quickly fades.

S-Smells of Belgian yeast with a background of hops, citrus and floral notes.

T-Sweet Belgian funky yeast followed by a hoppy bitterness.

M-Smooth medium body, moderate carbonation.

O-Leave it to stone to make the best Belgian IPA. There's a really great balance between Belgian yeast and hoppy bitterness.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to Oakedcanuck for the extra on our last trade.

Great example of a belgian style IPA. Extremely balanced malt/hop mix with a nice amount of belgian spicy yeast coming through. Shared with two other guys but left me wanting more.

Very good beer.

4.38/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pretty gold and looks very much like Stone IPA. An inch of head and nice lacing. I get mango and bright citrus and pine on the nose. Taste is spectacularly bright and sticky, as I expected. Slightly sweet on the front with notes of pineapple, mango and juniper. As it warms, the maltiness comes out. Effervescence is great and the finish is dry. Very drinkable. A lot like Stone's regular IPA but a bit more fruity. Delicious and very drinkable.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

It's an interesting tasting. Initially I thought I would really dig this but as I got into it, it wasn't as impressive as expected. The appearance is a beautiful golden; the smell is a sweet malty, yeasty mix. The taste is hoppy with a fruitty malty mix. Didn't quite get the wit taste that I've heard about but the IPA definitely stood out. At the middle and end of tasting it was kinda strange. I could drink this again but will not go out of the way for it.

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Slightly cloudy amber color with a nice head and decent retention and lacing.

S: Very interesting yeasty in that typical Belgian way, but with slight citrus hoppiness in there too. Makes sense I guess. ;)

MF: Medium body with that prickly gassy belgian quality,

T: There is some bready malt, but that is quickly dominated by the yeasty-ness. I found some hoppiness in there of course, but the yeast was too much.

Overall: I split this with a friend and I'm glad I did. I don't think I would've finished the whole bomber. It certainly is interesting, but I'm generally not a huge fan of the Duvel style Belgians and this was too much of that for me. I'm trying to be fair in my grade as this was something I wanted to try, but the style is not for me.

4.32/5  rDev +8.3%

Pour from bomber to tulip.

Two inches of off white head - some spotty lacing. Hazy copper/orange body. Very clean aroma. Smells of Belgian yeast, spices, cloves, meyer lemon. Mild cereal grain. Taste is hop dominant, but not overpowering. Some malty sweetness and a bitter finish. Mouthfeel is refreshing, but a little thin. overall a solid beer i could see myself going back to again and again.

3.83/5  rDev -4%

A - Clear pale yellow with a nice meringue head that doesn't stick around very long.

S - Hops and Belgian yeast. Nothing very special here.

T - That unmistakable Belgian yeast hits you up front. Very nice piny hops come through afterward. A bit of lemongrass and honey. It's got a nice bitterness to it that I really like.

M - Nice body and great carbonation.

D - Smooth going down.

3.89/5  rDev -2.5%

Golden and fizzy.

You get the Belgian nose at first, but when you dig deeper, you can find some earthy hops. More grassy than citrusy, but they're there.

Take Stone IPA, take all the bite away, and you get Stone Cali-Belgique. Belgian yeast comes through and gives it a wheat-like finish at times.

I'm not upset I tried it, but I don't think I'd revisit this beer.
I like more over-the-top IPAs, and this certainly isn't it.
It's refined, and I'm sure it would appeal to people who don't enjoy beers with higher ABVs.

4.72/5  rDev +18.3%

I was very excited to finally try this beer and bought one the day my order came in.

Poured out a perfect crisp golden color with an off-white head that leaves behind perfect lacing down the glass.

There is an amazing aroma on this one. Sweet citrus hops and Belgian influenced sugar aromas. Great bitterness present as well hiding beneath the sweetness.

The first flavors hitting my tongue are those from the delicious west-coast hopping style that are recognizable from the base Stone IPA. Across the middle the Belgian yeast influences really come out to play and dance across the palate. On the back end there is a clinging bitterness that sticks in the back of your throat for awhile. All around very very delicious.

The mouthfeel is exactly what I would want out of a Belgian IPA. Lively, medium bodied and with great carbonation. The drinkability is very high here. Everything is in perfect balance and the ABV is almost at a sessionable level. I would love to drink these all night long. Really an amazing beer.

4.07/5  rDev +2%

Cali-Belgique pours a nice golden color with a massive rocky head that leaves stubborn lacing all the way down. Smell is of Belgian yeast, and citrusy hops. Taste is of grapefruit and lemony zest with a belgian yeast background. Mouthfeel is fresh and crisp, excellent carbonation. Drinkability is very high, almost too high. I could sip on this masterpiece till the sun rises. Love Stone!!!

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle.

A: Poured clear gold/orange with about two fingers for white head, good retention, and lots of lacing an
S: Floral, hops, fruity, citrus, lemon. Much like their IPA but more fruit in my opinion, not just citrus but sweet fruits like peaches or something similar.
T: Peaches, cherries, pineapple, lemon grapefruit, hops, spiciness, and a not-too-much bitterness. This is where this beer feels very different from their IPA, much more sweet and fruity.
M: Very carbonated, smooth.
D: This was pretty interesting, another good one from Stone. I made sure to have their IPA directly afterwards to note the differences, which are definitely in its fruity sweetness. Worth checking out.

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured from a 12oz (bottled 12/5/15, enjoy by 4/3/16) Golden amber in color, just slightly hazy. Topped by a billowy white head that falls to a suds-y film. A good bit of sticky, cobweb-y lacing. Incidentally this beer comes in a bottle that one might find labeled two different ways ('Cali-Belgie' Or 'Cali-Belgique') as a nod to Belgium being a country with two different official languages, a nice touch. Mine was the former.

Nose has a mix of citrus hop tones, a trace of earthiness, along with some fruity tones, mostly banana and mango.

Just like with the standard Stone, IPA, this one starts with a bit of slightly sweet, bread-y malts that's then quickly overtaken by pine, bright, bracing grapefruit and citrus peel from the classic hops. The twist on this one comes from the Belgian yeast; there's definitely the yeasty, clove-y spice bite in the mid-palate, along with those distinctly tart, green apple-like flavors you might find in a Belgian strong-style ale, especially as the beer warms. The finish is quite dry, with pine resin lingering on the palate.

Mouthfeel is medium-light and a touch oily, with moderate carbonation. ABV just shy of 7% keeps this one drinkable while still having some substance.

I'm a big fan of Belgian ales in general, and the distinct flavors imparted by the Belgian yeasts make this one an intriguing hybrid, and very enjoyable. Even though the California IPA style isn't my usual go-to in the form, I could see myself enjoying this one again, certainly.

3.63/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Great choice if your usual Belgian is letting u down. I prefer this in general because I live in MN & most STONE beers don't let me down. Cheers!!!!!!!!

4.23/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a biggun

A: Golden, light tinge of amber. Bubbly and exciting. Nice pillowy head, but low head retention.

S: Yeasty, doughy, citrus, lemongrass.

T: Undeniably Belgique. Lemony, yet sweet. Good deal of complexity going on here. Similar to New Belgium's Belgo IPA, yet more restrained, thought not necessarily more refined. Both are great, and super similar in their hop profile, and yeast profile. Not as ballsy as some Stone offerings, but this one is quaffable, as well as giving you plenty to contemplate.

M: Medium bodied, high carbonation.

O: I re-iterate, similar in spirit to the Belgo IPA from New Belgium, but certainly bares the marks of its brewery. Lacked the hoppy freshness a lot of other Stone brews have.

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA from Stone Brewing