Stone 13th Anniversary Ale | Stone Brewing

Added by seaoflament on 06-29-2009

firstprev| 551-575 | 576-600 | 601-625  | next → last
Reviews: 607 | Ratings: 723
4.83/5  rDev +19%

Thought I'd missed my chance at Stone 13, until I found a few bottles at one of my beer places in NJ. Being a bit Stone fan, I was pretty excited to try this latest brew.

A: Deep ruby/ caramel color and perfect light, tan head that laces wonderfully.

S: Grapefruity aroma with rich malty undertones.

T: Citrusy grapefruit leads but is quickly supported by a wonderful malt backbone of toffee/ caramel. The superbly hoppy undertone and a nice light roasted/ chocolate flavor provide a prefectly balanced finish.

M: Full body with moderate carbonation.

D: Wow, I was expecting another great Stone brew, but this one really pushed the bar even higher. The composition and balance of the flavor were incredible and the color was majestic. I can safely say I'll never miss another Stone anniversary again and I'm going to grab the remaining Stone brews I haven't tried yet. A must try for all brew lovers, get some while it lasts!

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Just came up on a couple bottles of this the other day and am I ever glad I did! Beer pours a dark amber/brownish color with a nice off white head that leaves a generous portion of lace behind. Smell is heavy on roasted malts, dark chocolate and an amaretto scents. Not much hops to speak of in the nose after 2+ years of aging. Flavor is incredible and has taken on kind of a twisted, barleywine like profile. Great roasted malt and dark chocolate up front with a tinge of the 9.5% abv sneaking in there as well, followed by a nice acidic bite on the back end. Couple that flavor with a nice, crisp mouthfeel and great carbonation level and you have yourself one great beer.

I had this beer many times when it first came out and I always thought the hop profile was nice but overpowered many of the underlying characteristics. Now after a bit of aging this beer is truly stellar, do not hesitate to get it if you have the chance.

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Holy cow! I haven't had a beer grab my attention like this in a while. Stone has these things every year and they're generally pretty good -- certainly up to Stone's standards. But, they've outdone themselves on this one.

Pours a dark red. Perhaps a bit hazy. Very little residual yeast in my bottle.

The first thing that strikes you is how thick this feels in your mouth. It's like drinking a pint of jell-o. Probably its single most extraordinary attribute.

The head is impressively thick and stable. It stays put and does not diminish quickly.

If you are a hop lover, then this is your ticket. It doesn't have the outright bitterness of an IPA, but it has hops for real.

It is rare to find something this hoppy, strong, and thick in a single package. It's a rare gem. Go but one if you can get your hands on it.

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

I look forward to the Stones Anniversary beer yearly. Over the last few years I have been treated with some excellent DIPA's. I was smitten with the 12th Anniversary Dark Bitter Chocolate Stout. I am a sucker for dark roasted beers. This years Anniversary beer is a big ass amber ale. Most excellent. The beer was chilled and poured into a pub glass. The beer will be allowed to warm as I drink it.

Appearance: The beer appears angry or at least sullen as I pour it into my glass. The coloration of the beer is amber almost crimson. The head is a light tan coloration. The head of the beer resolves down to 1/4 inch. Thick lacing remains behind on my glass as I drink the beer.

Smell: The aroma of the beer leads with grapefruit and pine resin in equal portions. The hops are rough and tumble and the maltyness of the beer is up for the fight. The beer goes from hops to malty caramel, brown sugar, spicey alcohol bit of toasted malt character with floral notes bringing up the rear.

Taste: Bitter hop grapefruit and pine resin tar blend together in the begining of the taste. This rides along with toasted caramel maltyness. A vague suggestion of nuttyness tickles my mouth. Then the beer dries out with a spicey alcohol and a reassertion of herbal / grassy hops. Very satisfying!...

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is medium. Very smooth mouthfeel carbonation is just right. The flavors are very long lasting and resinous. This is a big beer at almost 10%. Some may find this boozey but I think its just right. In terms of drinkability if you like big bold hop bombs your going to love this beer. Yes the beer is 10% but I enjoyed every minute of drinking this beer. Thanks Stones!... Would love to have this one yearly.

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Poured out of stones epic bottle with a gargoyle warding off evil beer spirits into a coffee cup... (I know I know was not at my place but all they had was coffee cups!)

This beer smells of hops straight off then a slight smoke to it

Taste is Arrogant bastard sized hopps and bitterness out of the gate then it smooths out into a warm stout (stone is magic like that!) with a finish of an iced coffee!

Mouth feel was more like a stout in smoothness and but it bites at the back of your toung as it goes down.

I would session this beer but cautiously! Love the high abv but I am a mischievous drinker... I respect this beer but I am feeling it!

4.95/5  rDev +21.9%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 1 pint 6oz bottle into a tulip glass. The bottle is labeled with a nice description of the beer and it's born on date of June 2009.

Appearance: The body has a very deep dark crimson red appearance with a light haze. From the bottom of the glass comes a steady stream of carbonation which helps to support the thick long lasting beige head. On the glass the head leaves behind lots thick sticky lace patterns.

Smell: In the nose there is a full robust load of beautiful concentrated hops. They are mostly citrusy/grapefruity hops with some piney and resiny notes as well.

Taste/Palate: The flavor is full of huge full bodied and concentrated flavor that attacks the palate in a good way. Hop flavor feels concentrated and rages from citrus like grapefruit and orange peel, to lemon zest and resiny pine like notes with some musty leafy character and herbal notes as well. All of this intense hop flavor and bracing bitterness is all backed up by a solid malty sweetness which adds notes of brown sugar, roasted barley, caramel and mellow warming alcohol. I also get notes of overripe stone fruit like peaches and nectarines. This all weaves in and out on the tongue before ending with a long hop up finish. The texture is thick and chewy, slick with light carbonation.

Notes: This is one the best beers I have tried from Stone. Outstanding and intense.

4.97/5  rDev +22.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appears a dark mahogany with a cherry glow when held up to light. Produces a 2 finger off white head with outstanding sticky retention, as well as a semi perfect ring of sticky lacing. Left some bready looking particales on the bottom of my glass as well. Smells very very dry & herbal, spruce needles & tree sap notes flood the senses with only slightly less intense pineapple, over ripened plum, dates, cherry's & a bit of alcohol twang. Some zesty characteristics, and when it warms, a wonderful soft note of sugar roasted almonds/cashews become pronounced. Overall outstanding & intoxicating!

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of intense spruce needles, tree sap, semi pungent & very herbal hops! Following is sugary, candied dates, plum, with over ripened pineapple towards the finish. Finishes with burnt/roasted bitterness, dryness from alcohol, and a touch of molasses as it warms. All flavors linger very well & are very balanced, fruity, herbal, bitter, excellent! Mouthfeel is oily & sticky, thick & chewy, full bodied and it compliments flavor profile perfectly.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - Words can not describe the rich, herbal, robust flavors of this heavenly brew. This brew immediately reminded me of Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous Ale, it's sticky, it's fruity, it's sappy & herbal, it's perfect for a chilly evening. I could drink 2-3 goblets of this beer, the alcohol is masked dangerously well by the intense herbal flavor & aroma. This one can not, no must not be passed up guys, such an outstanding beer. Cheers!

firstprev| 551-575 | 576-600 | 601-625  | next → last