Stone 13th Anniversary Ale | Stone Brewing

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by seaoflament on 06-29-2009

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tullip

Appearance: Pours a dark ruby with a slightly off colored head (approximately 1 finger). Head dissipates quickly and leaves plenty of lacing, overall very indicative of the style.

Smell: Dry plums and a very deep bouquet of fruity goodness, although a bit mellow compared to some of stones other strong ales.

Taste: This is definitely where this beer makes its mark, it has a nice big malty backbone with a ton of dried fruits coming to the front, excellently balanced with not too much alcohol present at all.

Mouthfeel: Sticky and heavy, just the way I like my strong ales.

Drinkability: While the alcohol content and huge flavor keep me from giving this brew high marks in the drinkability category (meaning that this beer is so flavorful it's actually tough to keep pounding down), I will give it above average marks.

Notes: Excellent beer, probably good for cellaring which I will put to the test. Overall a 22oz bomber is perfect for the flavor and strength of this one.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

This beer is limited due to they release a new version each year. It poured a murky deep red color. It smelled pretty hoppy at first, then a strong deep caramel malty flavor took that over. The taste is a bit fruity, malty, some smokiness to it and finishes bitter and tart. It's pretty smooth tasting, even though you can smell the alcohol. I am curious to see how this ages.

3.87/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle split between my friend and myself at Three Floyds brewpub.

A careful pour gives me a glass of dark ruby almost brown liquid with a finger of thick tan head.

The nose is full of dank citrus hops(surprise!), caramel, booze, grapefruit, pine, more booze.

The first sip gives me a ton of oily hops, sweet malt, and booze. Quite tasty!

Mouthfeel is full and creamy.

The booze is really catching up to me and very warming. Half a bottle is all I can drink at one sitting.

3.82/5  rDev -5.9%

Cracked open a 22 oz bottle today and poured into a pint glass. I've had this before many times on tap, but never reviewed

A - A dark caramel-red in color, with about a fingerwidth of head on the glass that dissipates after about 2 minutes. it leaves some lacing on the glass, and the head has a nice ring on top.

S - delightful. I get a sweetness of toffee, or caramel balanced by some hops on the back end.

T - Not as good as I remember it, sadly. On tap, it was so hoppy, and so fresh. It might have been the best imperial red I've had. On the bottle, it says enjoy as quickly as possible. Perhaps I didn't enjoy it quickly enough.
There is pine and woodiness galore from all of the hops in there, but it's not overkill. There's enough malt mixed in to make sure the hops don't kill your tastebuds. But it's not tasting as fresh anymore.

M - Medium bodied with some nice carbonation. A good balance.

D - Sort of lacking this late since it was released. I hope they make more of it as I absolutely love it on tap and filling my growler with it.

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass. It's a deep dark ruby color with a nice tan head.
As soon as I opened this a could already smell this bad boy. First thing that hits my nostrils is the sweet sweet aroma of delicious, juicy citrusy hoppy goodness. I could sniff this all night long. I'm getting much of any malt presence but who cares we all know its all about the hops with Stone.
Taste reveals a little more than just hops but not much, and I love it. This might be my new favorite beer from Stone. The first sip reveals what my nose already told. Lots and lots of citrusy, piney hops followed by just enough malt to provide just a little balance. There is quite a noticeable alcohol presence but this stuff is too good to knock it down too much for that.
Another amazing beer from Stone.

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Very happy to find this at the local liquor store for under 7 bucks.

Nice 2.5 finger tan head, color was orange brown, everyone else says redish, but mine definitely wasnt.

Smells of mild floral hops and alcohol, I was expecting hoppier honestly

Taste starts with piney hops, then an earthy flavor with a little bit of smokey, roasty malt sweetness. The finish is slightly bitter piney, reminds me of dry red wine finish. Overall taste is less complex than I expected but still great.

This is a fairly drinkable beer, I finished the whole bomber myself, aside from high alcohol content the dry slightly bitter finish is the only thing that would prevent me from drinking more. But one bottle does make my head feel very heavy.

Overall, a very good beer from Stone, not as hoppy or as complex as I had hoped but, nonetheless worthy of an aniversarry ale, strong ale title. If you see it, get it.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

A fresh 2 liter growler fill compliments my buddy Cesar for my birthday present. We brought the growler back and cracked it open the next night to share with some guests...

Dark mahogony red/brown color even when held up to the light. Opaque. Poured into my Sam Adams sensory glass with a lively tan head about 2 inches thick. Great retention and lacing during the drinking period.

Very piney hop notes with a burnt caramel afterthought floating around in the aroma.

Smooth caramel flavor with a grassy hop bite but not overpowering or palate wrecking as it transitions into a citrus flavor on the tounge. Interesting that this isn't a hop bomb as I was expecting from the aroma. Pretty good balance from the complex flavor.

Full bodied with decent carbonation. A light citrus flavor remains on the palate for a while after each drink.

Good drinkability but this brew might put you on your ass if you're not careful. I had about two glasses worth of the stuff in a short period of time and started feeling that familiar alcohol warmth creep up on me. Good beer!

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

What a treat. I was informed from a friend that this beauty of a beer is finally released.

Poured from bomber into a tulip pint glass. Body is dark ruby red with a big two finger head, and legendary Stone lacing. Lacing was on par with Arrogant Bastard.

Aroma was very potent and very aggressive, which Stone seems to have a nack for. Fully of resinous hops and caramel malt, with a nice sweet touch. Smells delicious.

Taste was very much different than what I was expecting. Loads of hops are ever present throughout, punctuated by flavors of caramel, toffee, a bit of molasses, and very bready. Alcohol becomes noticeable after the sweeter notes give rise to toasty malts. Tasting this beer was a full on assault of the palate. Very strong, very tasty, and very challenging.

Mouthfeel was superb as can be expected. Nice thick body coats the mouth with its brutal grace.

This is nice sipping beer. It would go down better with fellow's who also enjoy good craft beer. Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

from tap into a 10oz glass.

A: deep red color, slightly off-white head that laces the glass all the way down.

S: some good piney aromas with a hint of caramel.

T: the malt backbone appears initally, giving you some caramel sweetness and molasses character. then the piney, resinous, hop goodness kicks in and delivers and lingers as the alcohol warmth reaches for the stomach.

MF: full bodied, medium carbonation. alcohol warmth is present.

Drinkability: a little more arrogant than it's sibling, Arrogant Bastard. really good beer, really strong, definitely drinkable.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a deep dark brown with a foamy thick head, lacing all the way down. Smells of graprefruit, grass, hops and hops. Tastes citrus up front, with fairly high bitterness, followed by a little oaky follow-through. Very balanced, for a hop head. Delicious and begging to drink more. Mouthfeel is good, medium carbonation coats the mouth and throat. Drinkability; well, I've not yet finished a bomber but I love it. Probably can't drink tons of these, but would sure like to try, but I only have one :(

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

dark reddish-brown. Lets a fair bit of light through. light tan two-finger head.

tons of piney hops and some biscuit in the nose. Also a bit of raisin.

this is a pretty hoppy beer, but it's balanced too. hits hard up front, with piney and grapefruity hops that get very bitter, but that bitterness is then tempered by the roasty and sweet notes coming through. some caramel and biscuit.

sticky finish.

light to medium body and some sharp carbonation.

worth a try for hopheads, but not my favorite Stone.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Was waiting to do this, I was happy to find this at a local store, lasted about 3 days in the fridge amongst other beers....then I broke down.

Classic Stone beer here, pours dark and malty, has a good smell to it, fruity, sort of like and IPA or pale ale, but when you taste it, its totally different, more malty than hoppy, sticky, syrupy, strong taste, not something you want to drink fast, but something you want to enjoy, goes down easy, catches you at then end, with a bit of hop bitterness, but very subtle. Overall a sticky, malty beer that works, there is definitely something fruity in there.

Tastes like a derivation of Arrogant Bastard, reminds me of it, but its different, and a welcome change. I'd drink anything that tastes like this so I have to recommend it, and say it's a solid beer, definitely lives up to the expectations of Stone for me, well worht trying.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Medium red/brown from the bottle into the glass. Red/brown with orange highlights and a foamy, crema-colored head. The head dissipated rather quickly for me. Smell is very herbal and piney hops with a hint of dark brown sugar. Taste matches smell with the brown sugar slightly more prominent. Mouthfeel is heavier and more creamy than I anticipated. Reminds me a bit of a Scotch ale, though with more hops. Or maybe a sweeter brown ale (but with more hops). Or maybe a hoppier than normal Grand Cru. Somehow it is making me think AleSmith, but with a Stone hops treatment.

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

01.20.10

A: rich, deep mahogany; head dissipates quickly

S: oaky

T: boozy, lingering finish; heavy malt and maybe some cigar flavors

M: pretty smooth for something that seems heavy, with more carbonation later

Good-bye, Stone 13. Had to share my last bottle of this case. I have no more, and the bottle says to drink it fresh, so this is probably my last dance with this beer.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

So Stone tells us it is literally "the hoppiest beer [they've] ever brewed." That's right, kids, hoppier than Ruination. Hoppier than anything you can possibly imagine. But blood red for an amazing malt balance. If i had to pick one beer to be pumped into my system intravenously, this might be it.

The aroma is like someone has surgically implanted hop resin in your nostrils. The flavor has a mountainous brain-busting wave of bitterness and alcohol burn popping with every drop of glorious flavor you can squeeze out of American hops, including (but not limited to) grapefruit, pine and tangerine. The malt is thick and sticky, providing enough balance to make the beer drinkable, but it doesn't even attempt to compete with the hops. The hops try to cover and overwhelm your taste buds, but the alcohol cleans them right off, and you're immediately ready for another sip.

Obviously, a perfect session beer.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

A deep red copper. Very nice and interesting color. fluffy light tan head.

Big hops in the smell. Some yeasty to it as well. Nothing too overpowering

Big IPA like hops up front, folds into a malty caramel with some roasty to it. Good bitterness to it but a good hops taste as well.

A very good, drinkable strong ale. Barely notice the 9.5% Great hop taste

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Huzzah! Finally got to try this after trolling around huge for it the past few days here in San Diego. It's one of my most anticipated beers I've ever had, so needless to say I was super-excited to crack the bomber. Had the bomber in a pint glass served just below room temp.

Appearance: Beautiful. It pours out with pretty nice just off-white head the evens itself out pretty quickly, but the head is very, very worth having some of. Its color seems like a deep copper brown but when held up to the light, you see the rich cherry tones.

Smell: From the instant I cracked the bottle, it was all over the place. Immediate hops of different breeds, you can just tell in the way the aroma shifts from floral and citrus to pine and sweet. The malt, however, still holds its own, but this beer is all about the hops. Hops, hops, and more hops, and the smell is what I'd hoped for in more. It's a 5, and deservingly so.

Taste: Man, does not disappoint. If you like hops, this beer is prime. It's odd as it's not an IPA, but every bit as hoppy as one, and yet, it retains its nutty composure in the malt as a balance. But layer after layer of awesomeness here, and it certainly ranks up there among my tastiest beers I've ever had. I'd wanna drink it again before I say 5, but this is certainly pushing it.

Mouthfeel: Like a heavy red ale, which hey, it is. Creamy with a hoppy bite to it, with nice carbonation and good coating.

Drinkability: Easiest 9.5% I've ever had, and I mean that legit. I've had 7s that drank slower than this. The red ale style masks very well, and the hops cover for the alcohol pretty quickly.

All in all, I couldn't recommend this beer more to a hop lover. Thank you Stone for another really interesting and awesome creation, and I can't wait to drink this again tonight!

3.11/5  rDev -23.4%

22oz bottle into a pint glass

brewed in june, 2009. DO NOT CELLAR, ENJOY IN 2009 written on bottle

pours a gilded bronze with a rising 2 finger head.

you can smell this when it pours and it smells ridiculous
floral and earthy notes with some hops

hops, sweet taste that turns kinda bitter followed by a toasty malt and chocolate.

kinda thick and flavor thats left goes fast

this beer would have been great in 09. its seen better days, but still not shabby

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

APPEARANCE:
Pours a clear copper color with a large light brown head. Lots of sticky lacing.
AROMA:
Big aroma of dark fruit, toffee, citrusy hops and hint of pepper.
TASTE:
An assault on the tastebuds. Citrusy hops, sweet malts, dark fruit (cherries), and a bit of an alcohol finish. Grapefruit like bitterness lingers on the tongue for a long while.
MOUTHFEEL:
Full bodied slightly syrupy texture. Soft carbonation. My mouth actually tingles for awhile.
DRINKABILITY:
Wow, this is a serious beer but has a nice balance of bitter and sweet. It felt like a rollercoaster ride. I could not drink a lot of this because the bitterness also the alcohol went straight to my brain. I have never been so buzzed off one 22 ounce bottle of beer.
NOTES: BBCSD-0906-Patrick

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

22 oz. bomber, purchased in Anchorage on 9/4/2009. Poured into a snifter glass.

Pours a dark ruby color, with a nice off-white head. Great hop aroma from the snifter. Excellent hop flavor on the palate, but plenty of malt backbone, with a nice, smooth finish.

I guess I would call this year's brew a Double Red IPA; it's definitely a hop bomb, with over 90 IBUs of bitterness from Chinooks, Simcoe, and Centennial hops. The Chinooks handle the bittering during brewing, with the Simcoe & Centennial hops being used for dry hopping during fermentation. Plus, Stone actually does a second dry hopping just prior to bottling! This is one hoppy beer, my friends! Even with all that hopping, the beer remains remarkably drinkable.

This beer reminds me somewhat of Midnight Sun's Mars, also an "Imperial Red IPA", which was released early in 2008. It was around 85 IBUs and 8.7% ABV. It was also hopped with Simcoes, along with Columbus & Amarillo hops.

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

Very strong and flavorful beer but well balanced. The only flaw is that it is so rich and full, it sticks to your palate and may require a glass of water to fully appreciate the flavors.

Appearance: Deep orange-amber; cloudy with tan, creamy head

Smell: Hops, licorice, malt

Taste: Robust; hop kick up front with grapefruit and a bread-like finish

Mouthfeel: Potent with a bitter kick and a long finish; thick

Drinkability: Very flavorful, versatile, and strong

3.49/5  rDev -14%

My first impression when pouring this brew into my glass was that it looked beautiful. Nice, light creamy mocha head that had decent lasting power. Then I smelled it. Not good. Not bad. Interesting, for sure. Kind of hard for me to place. Sort of a decaying vegetable smell to it when the head is thick and fresh. Not wholly unpleasant, just different. Certainly fades quite a bit as the head shrinks down. Settles into a pretty common dark strong ale scent. Hops and alcohol.

Rather malty when it first hits the tongue and is finished with the typical Stone Ale bitterness that so many of use love about their brews. I am very middle of the road on this one. It is worth a try, interesting to describe, but not much of a drinker. I am glad I only bought the one bottle. Nice try fellas. Can't wait for the 14th Anniversary.

Stone 13th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing